South Philly mobsters to hit big screen

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Handsome Stevie
Straightened out

South Philly mobsters to hit big screen

Post by Handsome Stevie »

South Philly mobsters 'Uncle Joe', 'The Gentle Don' to hit big screen
Updated: February 2, 2016 — 5:00 AM EST

by Tommy Rowan, Staff Writer. @tommyrowan

With real-life South Philly characters "Uncle Joe" Ligambi, "Skinny Joey" Merlino and Angelo "The Gentle Don" Bruno peppering Tigre Hill's new documentary on organized crime, it's bound to be a hit.

Last week the "Shame of a City" and "Barrel of a Gun" director released the trailer for his latest film, "The Corrupt and The Dead."

Hill described the forthcoming documentary as focusing on the detrimental effect of organized crime on society, as well as its impact on the economies of its host cities. The film covers the mob's influence in cities across the country, but takes heavily from the mob's impact on Hill's native city of Philadelphia.

"Philly was so unique," Hill said, "even the mafia was saying, 'What the (expletive) is going on in Philly?'"

The film bookends with Philly elite, beginning with Salvatore Sabella, who Hill claims is the first known Sicilian Mafia boss in Philly, and it concludes with Merlino's fall.

"A lot of old mobsters have no respect for Merlino," Hill said, "Not that they're worthy of respect."

The filmaker - known for tackling such controversial issues such as the 2003 mayor's race and the 1981 murder of Philadelphia Police Officer Daniel Faulkner by Mumia Abu-Jamal - said the project will be finished in May.
Handsome Stevie
Straightened out

Re: South Philly mobsters to hit big screen

Post by Handsome Stevie »

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Handsome Stevie wrote: The film bookends with Philly elite, beginning with Salvatore Sabella, who Hill claims is the first known Sicilian Mafia boss in Philly, and it concludes with Merlino's fall.
I appreciate the wording on this.

Hard to take much from the trailer, but could be good.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

No mention of Scarfo in the accompanying article. Where is the respect?
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ivan wrote:No mention of Scarfo in the accompanying article. Where is the respect?
Man, I'd love to see a Philly documentary that jumps straight from Bruno to Stanfa.

"Oh yeah, there was this short guy who was boss for a few years but that's not important. The next big Syndicate Don was John Stanfa, who created the 7th Family..."
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote:
Ivan wrote:No mention of Scarfo in the accompanying article. Where is the respect?
Man, I'd love to see a Philly documentary that jumps straight from Bruno to Stanfa.

"Oh yeah, there was this short guy who was boss for a few years but that's not important. The next big Syndicate Don was John Stanfa, who created the 7th Family..."
Man you should see the Scarfo exhibit at the Mob Museum here. It's just a picture of him with a short discription as part of a larger "rogue's gallery" type deal. That's it. It is appalling.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

You cannot say that a guy who enjoys the sun in Florida all the while pulling the strings in Philly has fallen, but ofcourse it's words that sell.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

What this really needs is some Gangster Report style narration, with such terms as "boardwalk syndicate godfather", "cheese steak city goodfella", and "Instagram-loving wiseguys."

Seriously though that Reagan speech in the clip was cool. Can that be viewed in its entirety anywhere online?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Ivan wrote: Seriously though that Reagan speech in the clip was cool. Can that be viewed in its entirety anywhere online?
I've never seen the video in its entirety though the transcript could probably be found somewhere online. Excerpts are on a lot of mob dicumentaries.

That speech really was a pivotal moment and a major turn in law enforcement efforts against the Mafia in the 1980's. From then on things would never be the same. In a lot of ways The feds didn't have the support to use RICO and really go after organized crime until Reagan.
All roads lead to New York.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Wiseguy wrote: That speech really was a pivotal moment and a major turn in law enforcement efforts against the Mafia in the 1980's.
Bonavolonta mentioned it in his book, talked about how mesmerizing Reagan was when he gave it.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Lupara wrote:You cannot say that a guy who enjoys the sun in Florida all the while pulling the strings in Philly has fallen, but ofcourse it's words that sell.

I think they must be referring to his incarceration.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Ivan wrote:
Wiseguy wrote: That speech really was a pivotal moment and a major turn in law enforcement efforts against the Mafia in the 1980's.
Bonavolonta mentioned it in his book, talked about how mesmerizing Reagan was when he gave it.
Here's the speech. Reagan starts at about 41:30 and specifically addresses the mob at about 48:00.

https://youtu.be/c64eAs3KncI
All roads lead to New York.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Thanks Wiseguy, couldn't find that on my own for some reason. :|
phatmatress777
Full Patched

Post by phatmatress777 »

His other movies are good and this one looks to be good as well

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Handsome Stevie wrote:http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=%2Fph ... =365995511

goto link to see the trailer
Looks incredible...except for George Anastasia's face! That guy irks me for some reason, I can't put my finger on it, but he rubs me the wrong way. However, he is an excellent journalist in Philly and I gotta give him props for his reporting in Philly.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP