Scott Burnstein

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ivan
Full Patched

Re: Scott Burnstein

Post by Ivan »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:02 pm Scott's an attorney, investigative journalist, author and a podcaster. His book on the Chicago Outfit (with Sam Giancana's nephew, who gladly provided the use of his name while Scott did all the legwork) was really the first book on the contemporary Outfit. Despite being ultra busy, he's always been willing to answer questions and give his time.
His Leonetti book is superb, one of the best mob books I've read.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:02 pm Scott's an attorney, investigative journalist, author and a podcaster. His book on the Chicago Outfit (with Sam Giancana's nephew, who gladly provided the use of his name while Scott did all the legwork) was really the first book on the contemporary Outfit. Despite being ultra busy, he's always been willing to answer questions and give his time.
Had no idea that Scott was an attorney. Good stuff, been meaning to catch up on his podcast....what i've listened to is pretty good.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:54 am
CornerBoy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:31 am he seems like one of the best sources of info for all cities outside of nyc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MIPj13aAuZk
im glad you're amused Sonny. have a nice day
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

i don't even knwo the guy, but apparently his grandfathers brother was one of the leaders of the old purple gang and went to al capones summit or one of those famous summits that had to do w prohibition?
mpl0215
On Record

Post by mpl0215 »

Besides writing arguably the best mafia book of all time he has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of all things true crime.If anyone hasn't checked out his pod and are on this site ,they are doing themselves a disservice.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

alright, lets not go crazy here but it was a great book. read it LAX to JFK sitting next to Jack Black believe it or not
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Some ppl might want to check if they have brown on their nose
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

CornerBoy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:07 am alright, lets not go crazy here but it was a great book. read it LAX to JFK sitting next to Jack Black believe it or not
You buried the lead! Jack Black is awesome. If I were next to him, I'd talk music (mainly Rush) with him the whole trip.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

What can I saw about Scott? He's the second best mob writer named Scott!

Scott is the man. I first met him at the Family Secrets trial. He is a person I always bounce ideas off and helped me out numerous times. We're also both on the Mob Museum Advisory Council (with other mob authors Gus Russo, Tony DeStefano, and TJ English)

At the risk of hyperbole, between his books, TV projects, podcast, and reporting, I believe Scott will be among the biggest names ever in mob writing/researching/broadcasting.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Tony- i think i have shit on my face lol
ShotgunTheRifle
Straightened out

Post by ShotgunTheRifle »

His whole thing on I gave nicky scarfo a heart attack when he read my book is cringe worthy.

I loved his book and enjoy his podcast but he's clearly a guy who's letting his ego goto his head. And thinks because he has Leonetti as a source for his book he has all the sources. George Anastasia and Dave S. Probably have better sources in Philly and haven't report half as much on philly in the past two years.

The "he was probably saving content for the subscribers" is equivalent to saying Sammy the Bull hold out content of his book because he knew he was going to be a Podcaster later on and wanted to save good stories for us.

I'm not saying he's a fraud or doesn't have sources but I'm not taking everything he has as gospel.
mr white
Straightened out

Post by mr white »

Its fine to appreciate his research but his attempts to convince the world that he has ANY current LCN sources are laughable. I guess he has to claim that stuff to justify the paywall...okay, fair enough. And I"m not saying there's a better website out there doing the same thing. But there's actually nothing new - no news at all - in his current writing about any city.
Don_Peppino
Straightened out

Post by Don_Peppino »

I am a big fan of Scott Burnstein's work. He is definitely the leader on Detroit mob history. I don't know if he's in this thread or if someone has contact with him but I have a question (that most likely he knows).
What (if any) cross-collaboration was there between Detroit and The Bonannos? There was detroit members who attended the meeting in Sicily with Luciano, Bonanno and the Sicilian mafia. Bonanno had a "business" relationship (though the extend of this relationship has never been flushed out) with a former Detroit turned L.A. member Tony Mirabile in San Diego. As well as a cantankerous relationship with detroit heavyweight Pete Licavoli in Arizona. Joe Zerilli played the fence during the "Banana war" and certain his Family would gain more market share in the heroin business with Bonanno's removal..... Any thought? Even if not Scott, I'm sure one of the archeologist can bring some context to this......
"I was a venture capitalist"
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

CornerBoy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:05 pm Tony- i think i have shit on my face lol
Every 100 subscribers a "source" at random gets a hand job and the winner is announced anonymously on the podcast.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

I'm being sarcastic everyone