Pittsburgh - Did Mannarino have aspirations to be Boss?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Paul1921
Associate

Pittsburgh - Did Mannarino have aspirations to be Boss?

Post by Paul1921 »

I've been on this forum for about a year but this is my first post. I enjoy reading the posts and seeing the thorough research/stories so thanks to the members for that.

Can anyone who was around the Pittsburgh family back in the day (or a researcher with some good docs that I may not have) speak to whether or not alleged Underboss Kelly Mannarino had a desire/plan to try to succeed LaRocca as boss? He died in 1980 before LaRocca passed so any potential plans were scuttled by his death. However, the government documents I have been reading for a few years indicate he was thinking about the succession, especially after Mike Genovese had temporary health issues in the 1970s. According to multiple informants, Genovese was LaRocca's handpicked successor since the late 1950s, but as LaRocca's time ended there was talk that either Mannarino or Pecora may take it. That isn't how it worked out due to Mannarino's death and Pecora's legal troubles, along with Genovese's influence in the organization, but it is interesting given the usually peaceful nature of the Boss transition in this family from the late 1930s until the end. What if Mannarino had lived, would there have been a problem? I realize that all of the old high level guys are gone and maybe this stuff died with them, but just in case anyone knows any old street gossip I thought I would put it to the group.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Re: Pittsburgh - Did Mannarino have aspirations to be Boss?

Post by FriendofHenry »

Paul1921 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:56 pm I've been on this forum for about a year but this is my first post. I enjoy reading the posts and seeing the thorough research/stories so thanks to the members for that.

Can anyone who was around the Pittsburgh family back in the day (or a researcher with some good docs that I may not have) speak to whether or not alleged Underboss Kelly Mannarino had a desire/plan to try to succeed LaRocca as boss? He died in 1980 before LaRocca passed so any potential plans were scuttled by his death. However, the government documents I have been reading for a few years indicate he was thinking about the succession, especially after Mike Genovese had temporary health issues in the 1970s. According to multiple informants, Genovese was LaRocca's handpicked successor since the late 1950s, but as LaRocca's time ended there was talk that either Mannarino or Pecora may take it. That isn't how it worked out due to Mannarino's death and Pecora's legal troubles, along with Genovese's influence in the organization, but it is interesting given the usually peaceful nature of the Boss transition in this family from the late 1930s until the end. What if Mannarino had lived, would there have been a problem? I realize that all of the old high level guys are gone and maybe this stuff died with them, but just in case anyone knows any old street gossip I thought I would put it to the group.
I'm certainly no research kind guy, I only know what I know from my personal experiences with these "guys"
I have no knowledge of Kelly Mannarino's aspirations to succeed John, but that wouldn't surprise me.
However I do know that John's favorite to succeed him was Jo Jo Pecora, but Joe's incarceration put an end to that.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

FriendofHenry wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:13 pm
Paul1921 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:56 pm I've been on this forum for about a year but this is my first post. I enjoy reading the posts and seeing the thorough research/stories so thanks to the members for that.

I'm certainly no research kind guy, I only know what I know from my personal experiences with these "guys"
I have no knowledge of Kelly Mannarino's aspirations to succeed John, but that wouldn't surprise me.
However I do know that John's favorite to succeed him was Jo Jo Pecora, but Joe's incarceration put an end to that.
Has there ever been any good books on the subject???

The most i learned is from you and jcb

It was Mike Genovese who succeeded him right??
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:44 pm

No books good or bad that I know of. Maybe JCB knows of any. He knows his stuff.

Yes, Michael succeeded John and given how things, income wise, were changing, it was a logical move.
Paul1921
Associate

Post by Paul1921 »

Thanks Friend of Henry, that is what some of the informants at the time seemed to be saying too. Glad it makes sense to a guy who was there.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Pittsburgh operated similar to a Camorra model of OC, with strict territory bosses. Kelly and his brother had full authority to operate in New Kensington as Bosses without interference from LaRocca. Plus, Kelly's father in law was Frank Amato Sr., so his brother in law, Frank "Sonny" Amato Jr ran Braddock when Dad died in 1973 and his kick went straight to Kelly. Kelly and John had a strong working relationship, nowhere have I came across any info about Kelly complaining about Big John.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

JCB1977 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:06 pm Pittsburgh operated similar to a Camorra model of OC, with strict territory bosses. Kelly and his brother had full authority to operate in New Kensington as Bosses without interference from LaRocca. Plus, Kelly's father in law was Frank Amato Sr., so his brother in law, Frank "Sonny" Amato Jr ran Braddock when Dad died in 1973 and his kick went straight to Kelly. Kelly and John had a strong working relationship, nowhere have I came across any info about Kelly complaining about Big John.
I concur, I never heard of Kelly complaining about John. Because of their personal relationship it would seem to be only normal for Kelly to be desirous of succeeding John as boss. Although I never heard of Kelly having any issues, it would be surprising if he wasn't disappointed that Michael was named.
Paul1921
Associate

Post by Paul1921 »

JCB1977 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:06 pm Pittsburgh operated similar to a Camorra model of OC, with strict territory bosses. Kelly and his brother had full authority to operate in New Kensington as Bosses without interference from LaRocca. Plus, Kelly's father in law was Frank Amato Sr., so his brother in law, Frank "Sonny" Amato Jr ran Braddock when Dad died in 1973 and his kick went straight to Kelly. Kelly and John had a strong working relationship, nowhere have I came across any info about Kelly complaining about Big John.
Thanks JCB and Friend of Henry, I agree, I don't think there was a serious challenge to LaRocca or Genovese from Mannarino. He may have wanted the seat if he had lived longer, but we will never know for sure given that LaRocca lasted four years more than him. For your information these are the excerpts that caused me to ask the question. They are from the Mike Genovese FOIA records, which are extensive, I thought there was another example, but I can't find it right now. The source is engaging in a bit of guesswork in both of the excerpts so take it for what it is worth. These are both from 1972 and 1973 after Mike had his heart attack, and he was still recovering before his surgery later in the 1970s.
Mannarino 2.jpg
Mannarino.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Paul1921 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:12 am
Thanks JCB and Friend of Henry, I agree, I don't think there was a serious challenge to LaRocca or Genovese from Mannarino. He may have wanted the seat if he had lived longer, but we will never know for sure given that LaRocca lasted four years more than him. For your information these are the excerpts that caused me to ask the question. They are from the Mike Genovese FOIA records, which are extensive, I thought there was another example, but I can't find it right now. The source is engaging in a bit of guesswork in both of the excerpts so take it for what it is worth. These are both from 1972 and 1973 after Mike had his heart attack, and he was still recovering before his surgery later in the 1970s.
Mannarino 2.jpgMannarino.jpg
Had Kelly been alive after John passed away in December of 1984, who knows, maybe John would have chosen Kelly over Michael...But Mike was very much one of John's favorites...by the 1960's, the FBI was referring to Mike as "Co-Boss."
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Paul1921
Associate

Post by Paul1921 »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:44 pm

There is a book coming out in April of this year on the Pittsburgh family titled "Steel City Mafia." The Amazon page is at this link for pre-order. https://a.co/d/1zk3nhh
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

No general Pittsburgh thread, so thought I’d post this here.

1957 info reported from the Mannarinos by a CI in 1964, that suggests that Pittsburgh and Chicago controlled Miami, while Pittsburgh retained influence in Baltimore along with the Gambinos (Chicago associate Jack Gail also claimed that Phil Alderisio had a close relationship in the 60s with the “boss of Baltimore”; unclear to me if this was Morici, Corbi, or even Joe N Gallo). Interesting as we know that Pittsburgh had important connections to whatever was in Baltimore in the early 1900s (Salvatore Lanasa of Tèrmini Imerese/Baltimore had close ties to Baltimore, for example).

"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

I’ll defo be purchasing this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul1921
Associate

Post by Paul1921 »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:07 pm No general Pittsburgh thread, so thought I’d post this here.

1957 info reported from the Mannarinos by a CI in 1964, that suggests that Pittsburgh and Chicago controlled Miami, while Pittsburgh retained influence in Baltimore along with the Gambinos (Chicago associate Jack Gail also claimed that Phil Alderisio had a close relationship in the 60s with the “boss of Baltimore”; unclear to me if this was Morici, Corbi, or even Joe N Gallo). Interesting as we know that Pittsburgh had important connections to whatever was in Baltimore in the early 1900s (Salvatore Lanasa of Tèrmini Imerese/Baltimore had close ties to Baltimore, for example).

I know they had business in Florida just like many other families but never heard they possibly had a piece of Miami. Also, If I'm not mistaken, I thought made guy Antonio Ripepi had a shooting incident down in Baltimore at some point where he wounded a guy I think. I can't remember what document I read that in at the moment.
Paul1921
Associate

Post by Paul1921 »

Hailbritain wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:58 pm I’ll defo be purchasing this
Hope you enjoy it!