Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bn
Straightened out

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by bn »

Adding on re- Carmine Russo, this report confirms that he was Carmine Romano's uncle:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Ad ... &bsq=russo

It also confirms that he was a cousin to the Lanza's, and that he was a member of the Mafia. It also states that 'When Mr. [Joseph] Lanza died in 1968, his cousin, Carmine Russo, took over.'

Another miscellaneous piece of info: In the 116th St - Coppola crew one member was Joseph L. Lanza. I used to think this was Socks Lanza, but it appears to be another Joe Lanza.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

In March 1963 Ray Patriarca was recorded telling Gerry Angiulo explicitly that Tommy Eboli was the "acting boss" and "over Jerry" but because he was young he had to consult with Catena and Mike Miranda before making major decisions. Patriarca felt Eboli was ready to fully run things himself, though. Both Patriarca and Angiulo had a high opinion of him.

There's a tendency to carry Catena as acting boss due to other references where Eboli deferred to him, but this comes from a boss who is represented on the Commission by the Genovese Family so I'm not sure any other source has more weight. Seems Eboli was in fact acting boss he just had to work as a panel with the underboss and consigliere.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Edward ‘Fat Lips’ Consalvo and John ‘Johnny Beans’ Campanella were under Pete DeFeo.
MightyDR
Straightened out

Post by MightyDR »

B. wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:10 pm In March 1963 Ray Patriarca was recorded telling Gerry Angiulo explicitly that Tommy Eboli was the "acting boss" and "over Jerry" but because he was young he had to consult with Catena and Mike Miranda before making major decisions. Patriarca felt Eboli was ready to fully run things himself, though. Both Patriarca and Angiulo had a high opinion of him.

There's a tendency to carry Catena as acting boss due to other references where Eboli deferred to him, but this comes from a boss who is represented on the Commission by the Genovese Family so I'm not sure any other source has more weight. Seems Eboli was in fact acting boss he just had to work as a panel with the underboss and consigliere.
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 2acting%22
This rant from Eboli definitely makes it sound like Catena was Acting Boss. While he is not happy with Catena’s decisions, it’s clear that it’s Catena who is the one with the responsibility of making the decisions. At one point he quotes Catena as saying “I couldn’t run this brugad without you.”

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... arch=jerry
In this conversation between DeCarlo and Russo, DeCarlo says that Mike Miranda was upset with Genovese because he made Catena the (acting) boss.

It’s odd that Patriarca and Angiulo would come to the opposite conclusion though, especially since there would be direct communication between the families where they could be informed about titles.
Don_Peppino
Straightened out

Post by Don_Peppino »

Any info on Frank Iacone? NyMafia has him profiled as the Capo of Massachusettes

Also any info on Dominic "Fats" Ferrero. He had a brother named Ralph. Bill Feather has him as a member who was a millionaire from bootlegging and owned a barber supply company in NJ.
"I was a venture capitalist"
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Don_Peppino wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:04 pm Also any info on Dominic "Fats" Ferrero. He had a brother named Ralph. Bill Feather has him as a member who was a millionaire from bootlegging and owned a barber supply company in NJ.
Bill Feather had the wrong guy. According to his bio, he died in 1958 while the Genovese member had an issue with Catena in 1964.
(https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... lPageId=12)

This was his census information: (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M4RC-9WX)

This was his obituary: (https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1165970 ... se-member/)
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Barney Miranda reported directly to Mike Miranda.

Don_Peppino - I wouldn't trust anything that NyMafia ever writes. They are full of shit.

Joel, do you think this is a plausible timeline of crew succession?

Generoso Del Duca (1950s - 1960s) died

Patsy Del Duca (1960s - 1964) died

Vincenzo Generoso (1964 - 1970s?)

Mickey Dimino (1970s - 1990s)

Funzi Tieri (1957 - 1972)

Tommy Lombardi (1972 - 1987)

Tommy Bullets Licata (19?? - 1952)

Gus Frasca (1952 - 1970s)

Anthony Carfano (1928 - 1959)

Harry Lanza (1959 - 1970s)

I don't know where the Generosos fit into the timeline. I don't know who succeeded Del Duca. Is it possible Generoso succeeded Del Duca?
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

bn wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:22 am Joel, do you think this is a plausible timeline of crew succession?

Generoso Del Duca (1950s - 1960s) died
Patsy Del Duca (1960s - 1964) died
Vincenzo Generoso (1964 - 1970s?)
Mickey Dimino (1970s - 1990s)
I don't think so. Del Duca seems to have been in Brooklyn with the Generosos/DiMinos were in Westchester county.
bn wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:22 am Funzi Tieri (1957 - 1972)
Tommy Lombardi (1972 - 1987)
Yes
bn wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:22 am Tommy Bullets Licata (19?? - 1952)
Gus Frasca (1952 - 1970s)
No clue, I don't know anything about them. Bill Feather's site lists Tommy Bullets Licata as a Lucchese member fyi.
bn wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:22 am Anthony Carfano (1928 - 1959)
Harry Lanza (1959 - 1970s)
Yes, most likely.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Bill Feather's site lists Tommy Bullets Licata as a Lucchese member fyi.
Feather is wrong on this. Licata definitely a Genovese captain from around mid 1940s til he died in 1952. After his death, Licata´s crew was merged with a smaller Brooklyn crew and Frasca was made captain. I have no other details on this.
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Another thing on the Patriarca/Angiulo tape is Ray says when Frank Costello went to prison in the 1950s he had an acting boss but the name was inaudible on the recording. Patriarca says Vito Genovese stayed at underboss, so it wasn't him. He then says someone named "Harold" (ph) had to be consulted before they did anything, so maybe that's the acting boss he referenced?

Moretti was dead by that time so it wasn't him. Can't think of who "Harold" would be or if they misheard the name. Harry Lanza comes to mind.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

The acting boss was Gerald Catena.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The one from the early-mid 1950s?
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

If I remember correctly, Costello did two different bids. One in early 1950s, the second one in the mid 1950s. Catena was acting boss during Costello's second bid. No confirmation on who was acting boss during his first bid though but one report says Vincent Alo, Alfred Toriello and a third whose name escapes me right now were in contention to become acting boss.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

I have just received Toddo Marino's files. There's some info that makes me reconsider whether or not he succeeded Carfano:

In December 1953 informant stated:

...that the 'captain' who is supposed to be the head of the Fourth Avenue mob in Brooklyn, has stepped down from that position. [Informant] said TODDO MARINO who would normally have taken taken over the job as the head of the mob, was in trouble with INS and consequently was passed over and another person named [Redacted, about 13 characters] (LNU) was taking over the Captain's job.

I can't think of any Genovese captain who stepped down in 1953.

But on the other hand, an informant stated in 1958:

..TODDO MARINO is directly under CARFANO and answers directly to him
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:08 am If I remember correctly, Costello did two different bids. One in early 1950s, the second one in the mid 1950s. Catena was acting boss during Costello's second bid. No confirmation on who was acting boss during his first bid though but one report says Vincent Alo, Alfred Toriello and a third whose name escapes me right now were in contention to become acting boss.

Wasn't it Willie Moretti for the first bid?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.