https://mafiainaustralia.wordpress.com/

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Re: Mafia Down Under Discussion

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Yeah but that was also because he was threatening to undercut contracts at the Markets, and work with non-Calabrians. Also possibly flip and inform on the rackets. His breaking off the engagement to Liborio’s daughter, Frank’s sister, certainly helped give Frank ammunition to help have him taken out. But I’ve heard it posited that Frank was killed for hitting Alfonso; I don’t believe that to be true. There was enough reason for Frank to be murdered from his own faux pas’ and power jockeying, and for Alfonso to be killed, despite his fathers respected position in the ‘60s. He might have once been considered an heir apparent, but threatening to expose the Market rackets certainly didn’t do him any favours.

Also to MSFRD; the conduit between the Sunshine crew/so called “New Boys” and the Calabrians is and was Rocco Arico. He was close to Williams and it’s claimed his family has links to high-ranking clans in Calabria. He’s definitely recognised as a power in Victoria currently, but despite the links is still not formally linked to any ‘ndrine in Victoria, but once he gets out of prison in the next few years we might see some more formal links emerging.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

Thanks and wasn't Victor Peirce the bodyguard of Frank Benvenuto?
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Yeah Frank hired Vic Pierce on the strength of his family’s reputation for violence after factions aligned with the Gangemi camp began angling to muscle Frank Benvenuto out of the Market rackets. Pierce is supposed to have turned up to the Markets one day with an assault rifle. This is because Frank had been apparently involved in trying to muscle out other market vendors, and has been implicated in the murders of the Manella brothers and Joe Quadara, supposedly committed at the hands of Veniamin. Frank and Vince both had strong links to Mick Gatto, who is not an ‘ndranghisti himself.

The thing is, Benji Veniamin and Victor Pierce knew each other after both having worked for Frank Benvenuto. Victor Pierce was also buying his bulk ecstasy from Vince Benvenuto, Frank’s brother. Victor Pierce’s murder two years after Frank Benvenuto is often painted as a “revenge killing” for his failure to protect Frank (Vince was charged but acquitted in the Pierce murder) and while it was a factor, there was already some definite bad blood between Pierce and Veniamin. Veniamin was also a highly paranoid killer, and apparently greatly feared that Pierce, who was known himself as an efficient and cunning killer, might get to him before he could get to Pierce.

A lot of this was revealed in old statements by informers that were released after the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informers that happened recently.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

MickeyMeatballs wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:55 am Apologies if this has been posted, it’s an article from October that I missed. I’m certain the ageing godfather they’re referring to is Tony Madaferri. Unsure as yet to who exactly the violent one is. Interesting to note that even after the bust that nearly implicated Madaferri, he and others are still making their pilgrimage to Calabria.
The mention of figures from Perth ties into the information that came out after Tony Vallelonga’s meetings with Giuseppe Commisso we’re revealed in the 2009 Crimine documents, which spoke of a “Cosimo”, a restauranteur alleged to be the centre of a newly formed locale.

Godfather looking to hand over reins in face of police evidence bonanza

Australia’s Mafia bigwigs have met to discuss an evidence bonanza recently given to police, with Victoria’s Godfather now looking to hand over the leadership.

Mark Buttler
and
Anthony Dowsley
2 min read
October 10, 2022 - 6:00AM

Australia’s Mafia is under threat from a potential police evidence bonanza against its most powerful figures.

The Herald Sun has been told vital testimony and evidence has been given to police that could implicate senior players in Australia’s Italian organised crime world.

The development has been deeply troubling to top mafia bosses who are already under intense police pressure.

Some were left badly exposed by the Australian Federal Police’s Ironside operation, which damaged their illicit businesses activities and left them vulnerable to prosecution.

The Herald Sun has been told there was a meeting of key players in Perth recently to discuss the development.

Among those at the gathering were the man regarded as Victoria’s godfather and a member of a prominent business family.

The ageing godfather is said to be looking at handing over the reins as bad news starts to spread about him being potentially implicated in high-level criminal activity.

He had been a target of state and federal police for decades.

Another concerned figure is a violent high-level drug dealer who has been fighting deportation.

He is said to have reconsidered his position and wants to be sent overseas because of the risk of being given another long jail term.

Sources say the situation is being keenly monitored by members of the Tomato Tins drug ring, who are doing long jail terms.

They were arrested in 2008 over a failed $440 million ecstasy importation and subsequent doomed consignments which were made to cover their losses.

Some of those identities are fighting legal battles to be freed, arguing their convictions were unsafe because of their dealings with gangland lawyer Nicola Gobbo and Mafia solicitor Joe Acquaro.

It was revealed in June that the AFP would be making a major assault on Italian organised crime gangs bringing in billions of dollars in drugs and laundering dirty money.

The AFP has been investigating more than 50 suspected Italian crime families with a network of 5000 people, among them high-profile business players.

They are believed to travel to Italy annually for rituals but use the trips to meet those higher up the chain. AFP mapping of the Australian arm of the operation has found there are 14 syndicates from the Ndrangheta.
Just a minor correction here. I believe the boss they are referring to is Danny Luppino, and the “violent”one is Tony Madaferri. Just consulting some notes, and the description lines up more.

Diego “Danny” Luppino, Tony Madaferri and Ross Gangemi were all in business together at the Markets in the ‘60s, and continued their associations following the death of the latter. They are described as two of the most senior figures of the Melbourne locale.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

Thanks for this interesting information and did Gangitano have anything to do with the Ndrangheta in Melbourne? as this article suggests that Frank Madafferi was once called upon for help against a shakedown by Gangitano.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/ ... rker-truth
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Yeah one of the ways Gangitano made his money was shaking down businesses in Lygon Street and Carlton on the strength of his reputation. In reality, he was a private school boy who died with less than $10k worth of assets, besides the house his parents left him. His only real connections to ‘ndrangheta were through Mario Condello, the lawyer who had some financial dealings with some Society figures.

Lol that apology that they had to put at the end of that series of articles was hilarious, and made during a period where Tony Madaferri was particularly litigious. If it wasn’t obvious, he’s the “Blondie” they’re referring too.

Panteleo was known to be a piece of shit, borderline rapist anyway. He fucked up pretty big by going to Frank, who brought in his brother and Manariti, who to this day have a 15% sharehold in the chain worth millions.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

You guys need to read Chasing the Mafia by Sergi. It’s all about what and who you are discussing.

Also the 5000 seems to be an exaggeration made to equal the bikiea
https://theconversation.com/a-flurry-of ... lia-184835

https://icalabresi.it/rubriche/australi ... ni-ndrine/
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

I’d read the former article, but not the latter. Holy shit, did she just nail it? Are the AFP describing seperate locali as different groups? That would very much explain the over-inflation of “clans” operating in Australia, as the way Sergi has mapped it in the past has been fewer but very distinct. I spent a period following Italian language publications but since I’ve had some time off I haven’t been doing it as much. It’s something I will restart. The translation can be a painstaking process for someone non-bilingual, but it’s worth it. I recently found a copy of Enzo Cicontes book Australian ‘ndrangheta in hard copy for about $18AUD and hope it’s got some good information.

Honestly, Anna Sergi is a personal hero of mine. Not just as a criminology undergrad, but as a follower and blogger about this stuff. She is 100% on the money when she says that there is shock and denial every few years they report on this like it’s the first time the knowledge has been uncovered. Periodically, since the circa. 1930s bombings in FNQ.

I’ve read parts so the intelligence document she shows in the article, through the information given by the informant it covers a meeting the piciotti had in Brunswick where 40odd members were all picked up and found to be carrying a blade of some sort.

I think the 5000 number describes associates. Every other estimate seems to establish this as the case
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

I need to get my hands on a copy of Chasing the Mafia too. Expensive book it seems, I’m gonna say it’s worth it but. Next one on my list I think.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

MickeyMeatballs wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:54 pm I need to get my hands on a copy of Chasing the Mafia too. Expensive book it seems, I’m gonna say it’s worth it but. Next one on my list I think.
It's 50% off right now. Only a few days left on the sale too.
https://twitter.com/policypress/status/ ... vIgiA&s=19
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
Mickey, both the paperback and EPUB versions are currently on sale for USD $18.47, which is 50% off the current price:

https://bristoluniversitypress.co.uk/chasing-the-mafia

That’s the 50%-off price I paid back on July 20 for the EPUB. On July 28, the price was reduced to 75% off — I suggest you wait till at least mid-December for any holiday / Christmas / Boxing Day sales. Sign up at the link below to stay in the know.

https://bristoluniversitypress.co.uk/signup-bup-pp
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

It’s on its way. Thank you fellas.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

You'll like Ciconte and Macri's Australian mafia - it doesn't have any new knowledge if you read Sergi (which also cites that book of course) but it has the original copy of the Callipari's report which is a nice read.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Just listened to an interesting point Dr Sergi raised in a podcast, hopefully she covers it in more depth in her book. She mentions the ubiquitous nature of the ‘ndrangheta in Australia. It’s perhaps the only place in the world where “Italian mafia” is exclusively referring to the ‘ndrangheta.
It’s fascinating that out of everywhere in the world, Melbourne, Australia is the only place Dr Sergi felt she received unwanted attention when the son of a reputed monster paid for her coffee.
Looking forward to seeing what she covers in the book.

Finally finding some time to work updating my blog. Currently working on an article about Canberra and the murder of Colin Winchester. I’ve been in contact with some journalists who have shared some interesting information on Griffith history that I’m looking into as well. Fwiw, some of them have been highly critical of Stephen Drill’s podcast “The Mafia’s Web”, describing it as “rushed” and guilty of misidentifying some figures. Honestly I didn’t mind the podcast, and understand how inexact a science this stuff is.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Nice, I never really knew if the 'ndrangheta was involved in Winchester's murder, but I know he investigated a lot on marijuana trafficking. I don't know very well this case, but the guy sentenced for the murder was later acquited, right ?