Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by B. »

Patriarca was recorded saying he inducted Panarelli, Mario Fiore, Scibelli, and six others on behalf of the Genovese Family and then transferred them there.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Possible Member in Tony Strollo crew

Salvatore 'Sammy' Badalamente (Alleged to be related to Tony Strollo)
DOB: 12/26/1917
F: Charles Badalamente
M: Ann Rizzo
R: 244 McElroy Ave, Palisades NJ, 92 Hewlett Ave, Point Lookout, Long Island (Summer Home)
Employment/Business: Partner in Barnett Transport Company, 211 W 36th St & Caruso Music Company, Rego Park, Long Island

He is described as a "Mafia strong arm man" in the garment district, and described as "Chief Lieutenant in charge of gambling for Anthony Strollo."
He is listed as a soldier in MafiaMembershipCharts, which leads me to believe he was a soldier in the Greenwich Village Crew.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

According to this article, he was Tony Bender’s driver at one point.

Apr 23 1977- https://www.newspapers.com/clip/112499830/daily-news/

I’d ignore what his lawyer was saying; he probably wasn’t an unbiased source
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Was Benedetto Cinquegrana a member ?

He was a big narcotics guy, he's listed as a Genovese member on the 1983 list
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Cinquegrana's name was frequently thrown around with names as Eli Zeccardi (with whom he owned Roma Bakery) and other members of Rosario Mogavero's crew during the late 60s - early 70s. These names, like Louis Gaccione, Joseph Lapi, Saro Mogavero, Albert DiStefano and others, with Zeccardi and Cinquegrana were seen entering one of Mogavero's headquarters. I wonder if Eli and Benny were both in the Mogavero crew.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

bn wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:06 pm Cinquegrana's name was frequently thrown around with names as Eli Zeccardi (with whom he owned Roma Bakery) and other members of Rosario Mogavero's crew during the late 60s - early 70s. These names, like Louis Gaccione, Joseph Lapi, Saro Mogavero, Albert DiStefano and others, with Zeccardi and Cinquegrana were seen entering one of Mogavero's headquarters. I wonder if Eli and Benny were both in the Mogavero crew.
Mogavero makes my head spin.

I wonder if Angelo and Matildo Buia, lower Manhattan narcotics guys, would have been a part of this group. Matildo was listed as a Genovese member in this 1963 document (https://www.google.ca/books/edition/Org ... tildo+buia)
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

I think they were NJ but idk
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Here are the people I have for Mogavero Crew (1965)

Joseph Mogavero (46y)
Ottilio ‘The Bug’ Caruso (54y)
Joseph ‘Joe Beck’ Lapi (55y)
George ‘Georgie Flip’ Filippone (50y) (?)
Albert DiStefano (51y)
Salvatore ‘Salvie’ Gencarelli (50y)
Pietro Pellegrino (43y)
Carmine Pellegrino (49y)
Rocco 'Old Man' Pellegrino (76y)
Philip ‘Philly Katz’ Albanese (58y)
Anthony ‘Tony Katz’ Albanese (54y)
Joseph ‘Joe Curley’ Agone (52y)
Louis ‘The Hood’ Georgiano (55y)
Louis ‘Louie Healthy’ Gaccione (54y)
George ‘Georgie Hooks’ Nobile (48y)
Salvatore Aparo (45y)
Michelino ‘Mike’ Clemente (57y)
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Chris Christie wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:54 am Anthony Zullo
12/9/1895 NYC
1774 N 5th St, Dunellen, NJ
Michele Zullo Baranello, Campobasso, Molise
Rose R Russo Aliano, Matera, Basilicata
Noreen Eullo Garbolino
Central Railroad of NJ
Suspected Soldier DeCarlo
Deceased 8/28/1943

Carmine Zullo Dundee
3/5/1924 NYC
141 Keyport Holmdel Rd, Holmdel, NJ
Giuseppe Zullo Benevento, Campania
Antoinette Farina
Anna Modica; Lillian Bianco
Cab Driver
Soldier DeCarlo

Unless I'm wrong, the Zullos aren't related. Also, Anthony Zullo, assuming I have the right guy, died in 1943.
That can't be the right Anthony Zullo if he died in 1943.

He was still alive in 1963, he's on the DeCarlo wiretap (https://www.google.ca/books/edition/The ... frontcover)
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

bn wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:05 pm Here are the people I have for Mogavero Crew (1965)

Joseph Mogavero (46y)
Ottilio ‘The Bug’ Caruso (54y)
Joseph ‘Joe Beck’ Lapi (55y)
George ‘Georgie Flip’ Filippone (50y) (?)
Albert DiStefano (51y)
Salvatore ‘Salvie’ Gencarelli (50y)
Pietro Pellegrino (43y)
Carmine Pellegrino (49y)
Rocco 'Old Man' Pellegrino (76y)
Philip ‘Philly Katz’ Albanese (58y)
Anthony ‘Tony Katz’ Albanese (54y)
Joseph ‘Joe Curley’ Agone (52y)
Louis ‘The Hood’ Georgiano (55y)
Louis ‘Louie Healthy’ Gaccione (54y)
George ‘Georgie Hooks’ Nobile (48y)
Salvatore Aparo (45y)
Michelino ‘Mike’ Clemente (57y)
I'm confused. I thought Pellegrino had a group in Bronx-Westchester separate from the lower Manhattan guys. According to the updated list that was posted, most of these guys were in the Del Duca crew while Pellegrino and sons were in their own crew
Chris Christie wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:06 pm Updated chart.

Del Ducca Decina
Joseph Agone
Anthony Albanese
Philip Albanese
Frank Cacciatore
Ottilio Frank Caruso
Michelino Clemente
Carmelo Coppolino
Pietro Dolcemascolo
Raffaele Dolcemascolo
Joseph Lapi
Joseph Mogavero
Louis Rocco Georgiano
Louis Phillip Giaccone
Joseph Santaniello
Salvatore Gincarella
Giuseppe Scarpinito
George Nobile
Salvatore Aparo
John Del Ducca

Pellegrino Decina
Louis Barbella
Modesto Barra
Rocco Barra
Joseph Barra
Giovanni Biele
Orlando Coralluzzo
John Manfredonia
Carmine Pellegrino
Peter Pellegrino
Giovanni Savino
John Masiello
Salvatore Savino
Tobia DeMicco
Joseph Paul Marchione
John Buonarobo
Albert Facchiano
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Odd. The James Angellino and Rocco Pellegrino crews seemed to have been smushed together, though I was under the impression that Angellino succeeded Anthony Carfagno in 1959. If Angellino didn't succeeded Carfagno, who did?

LCNBios has Joe Lapi and Joe Agone being transferred to Mogavero's crew in 1964, indicating that Mogavero may have already succeeded Pellegrino.

Del Duca's was a Brooklyn guy, he and Pietro Dolce split off from Miranda crew in the 1950s. Not sure why most of the men were listed in his crew despite a good chunk of them being Bronx-Westchester area guys. I think the DeCarlo tapes had Mogavero succeeding a old man named Patsy who had died, and Chris maybe thought Pasquale Del Duca was that guy so that's why the crews are together? But then Patsy died in 1964 not 1963.

I think Frank Cacciatore was in the 116th St. Crew

I'm assuming that this Del Duca named as captain is Patsy, because Generoso died in 1960, but according to the tapes Mogavero succeeded Patsy. The chart seems to indicate maybe a bunch of guys transferred to Del Duca then back? Maybe Chris and the others got the names mixed around? Not sure.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

We may have discussed it 20+ pages ago, but I suspect Patsy DelDuca succeeded his brother until his own death and Mogavero absorbed them, as we have sources who say he was already acting for his in-law Pellegrino. I believe some of the Genovese Brooklyn docks guys were with Mogavero as well, maybe Michelino Clemente among them, but would have to double check.

I'm wondering how geographically widespread some of these crews were. The "West Side" crew obviously had guys in Greenwich Village and were headquartered there but Valachi never lived there. Did Vito Genovese ever live in the Village? I believe he was in Queens before he left for Italy and later New Jersey but I don't know his full trajectory.

I mean the Pellegrino crew was active in Dallas, so different parts of NYC would be nothing to that group.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:58 pm We may have discussed it 20+ pages ago, but I suspect Patsy DelDuca succeeded his brother until his own death and Mogavero absorbed them, as we have sources who say he was already acting for his in-law Pellegrino. I believe some of the Genovese Brooklyn docks guys were with Mogavero as well, maybe Michelino Clemente among them, but would have to double check.

I'm wondering how geographically widespread some of these crews were. The "West Side" crew obviously had guys in Greenwich Village and were headquartered there but Valachi never lived there. Did Vito Genovese ever live in the Village? I believe he was in Queens before he left for Italy and later New Jersey but I don't know his full trajectory.

I mean the Pellegrino crew was active in Dallas, so different parts of NYC would be nothing to that group.
FWIW, on his 1935 naturalization Genovese gave his address as 43 5th Ave (btwn 11th and 12th) in the Village, though from 1917 to at least 1930 he was in Woodhaven, QU. After returning to NYC his address was in Atlantic Heights, NJ.

EDIT: On his WW2 draft card from 1946, shortly after returning from Italy, Genovese gave his address as 29 Washington Square West (the Village), though it seems that he relocated to NJ shortly thereafter.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I've taken a break from the West Side. I have most of the membership completed but the crew affiliations are a mess. I made several changes that I wished I didn't and now have to work back. When you're dealing with 300 names it's a migraine-inducing.

if we can't come to a definitive conclusion on who was in what crew then we list the members by neighborhood like I'm doing with the Gambinos. But I do have faith that the Gen Crews can be ironed out. I'll have to back track to what Valachi said and then go from there.

One of the issues was whom Mogavero succeeded. FBI reports stated Pellegrino, others were of the belief that he headed Harlem with Angelina as acting. I think it's best to re-question everything.

I'll get back to this eventually. Kinda slowed down the past week but I was busy editing the podcast and in the past three months we went through and nearly completed 5-8 families. In the meantime, Joel, I have all this info in an excel sheet, if you'd like, DM me and I'll send it over.

One thing my mind keeps jumping back to is New England and how Patriarca and Genoveses are so deeply entwined there. It would appear more transfers happened between these two groups and my mind jumps to Boiardo being brought in in the 40's (under Costello), do we know how early New England was affiliated with Patriarca, Genovese and Gambino? When I say NE I'm excluding Boston/Providence and referring to Springfield, Worcester, Hartford, Stamford etc.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

The biggest issue seems that there is a debate on which men were actually captains at the time and who succeeded who. This whole Patsy DelDuca-Mogavero-Angellino thing is a mess.

I think:

Pellegrino -> Mogavero -> Lapi
Carfagno -> Angellino -> Fortunato
DelDuca (Generoso) -> DelDuca (Pasquale) -> Crew split w/ Mogavero? -> Lanza (Joe) -> Lanza (Harry) -> Thomas Marino -> Thomas Contaldo -> Allie Malangone

There are some FBI files on maryferrell suggesting that Funzi Tieri became capo in 57/58 with the Miranda crew split.