Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

antimafia
Full Patched

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
$250,000 reward announced for escaped mob leader behind Toronto and B.C. murders
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2022/1 ... rders.html

Gangster who broke out of B.C. prison during murder trial tops Canada's most wanted list https://nationalpost.com/news/gangster- ... anted-list
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
MOST WANTED: Multiple murderer’s three brothers killed in separate shootings
https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... -shootings
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
B.C. jury convicts gangsters charged in fatal feud
https://vancouversun.com/news/crime/b-c ... fatal-feud
Johnny1and1
Straightened out

Post by Johnny1and1 »

Vacari Lives!
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

^^^One of WBEN’s on-air personalities Tom Bauerle constantly plugged HoganWillig on his show. He had a relative who was an attorney there. If I remember correctly it was his daughter.
JoeCamel
Straightened out

Post by JoeCamel »

Kind of risky to sue for Libel for this
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

JoeCamel wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:48 pm
Kind of risky to sue for Libel for this
Why would this be risky at all? He actually has nothing to lose.
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

In the segment Cohen, Gerace's lawyer, says:
“A great many of Peter’s clients are members of law enforcement, and they’re members of the public, and they are politicians and they come in and now they are staying away because of the label that has been applied.”

So the strip club's business has been hurt because its clients who are police officers and politicians are afraid to go there now that Gerace has been labeled with IOC. I think Cohen would have been better to just mention the public doesn't want to go there.... Makes it sound like Gerace's strip club must have had a large clientele who were police and politicians to be hurting that bad--LOL.

His codefendant, DEA Agent Bongiovanni, when questioned by LE said that he tried to stay away from Pharaoh's because it was a "seedy place." I guess other members of LE and other public officials didn't have the scruples that Bongiovanni had--LOL.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

^^^^
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Looking into the union situation in Ontario. In his book Fino has related the following:

Enrico Mancinelli: Mob associate of the Todaros and associate of the Coias. Took over leadership of Eastern Canada and became a vice president of the Laborers’ International Union.
Michael Gargaro: Toronto labor leader under the Coias. He wanted fellow labor leader John Stefanini killed.

John Stefanini: Powerful Canadian Labor leader who ran the largest local union for the Laborers in North America. Disliked by the Buffalo, Detroit and Chicago families and considered a thorn. I liked him very much.

Ugo Rossini: Vice President of the Laborers’ International Union until he was ousted by the Coias and Todaros. He was always a good source of mine as well as a close friend.
About Gargaro wanting Stefanini killed Fino said the following occurred followng a meeting with members of the New England family:
While Merloni Jr. drove us back to our hotel, Coia Sr. and I listened as Mike Gargaro, who was in the back seat with me, openly said that he wanted Stefanini killed. “I am willing to pay whatever it costs. I am not kidding; I want the son of a bitch out of my life.” None of us said a word and sat silently. Gargaro again repeated his requests a couple of times. With no response from us, Gargaro loudly and in a huff said, “If you guys don't want to listen, I will find someone who will.”
He also writes:
Gargaro blamed the more powerful Stefanini for interfering in his election and his union affairs. Coia did not like Stefanini either and privately told me that Gargaro was under his protection and he was going to stop the Stefanini interference one way or another.
In a chapter on Todaro Sr.'s Lunch with Coia Fino wrote:
Todaro then purported to Coia that he wanted Ugo Rossini (my friend) out of the union. Johnny “Pops” Papalia wanted him removed and they wanted Enrico Mancinelli to take his place at the International Union from Canada.

After the lunch with Todaro ended, I drove the disheartened Coia to Toronto to impose the new directive and to try and quell the ongoing Stefanini crisis that was still taking place. Coia also wanted Ugo Rossini out and liked the choice of Enrico Mancinelli to take Rossini’s place. Mancinelli, who was with the Hamilton, Ontario-based Laborers Local 837, was also the manager of the LIUNA Ontario District Council. Together with his younger son Joe, Enrico Mancinelli arranged for hotel suites costing an arm and a leg at a Toronto hotel. After we refreshed and changed our clothes we found the Mancinelli's waiting in the lobby preparing...
I bring all this up because there has been fairly recent news mentioning Stefanini and Mancinelli in relation to a Terceira of the Carpenter's Union who was beat up in Dec. 2014 and was written about again in early 2015. The older Stefanini beating is referenced in a couple articles about the Terceira beating.

The epicenter of the current dispute is Toronto, where LIUNA’s Local 183 represents some of the workers in similar trades as the Carpenters’ Local 1
030, creating its own war within a war.
The Carpenters’ union, Joe Mancinelli, LIUNA’s regional manager for central and eastern Canada, openly says, is “our nemesis.”
“The violence is gone, thank God, from the old days — and that predates my 38 years with LIUNA,” he said in an interview with the National Post. “But the tension and conflicts exists and they exist for a number of reasons.”
He points to personalities, jurisdiction, limitations of market share and government rules allowing “raiding” of other union members, among them.
(After several requests over three weeks for an interview with the Carpenters’ union, based in Woodbridge, Ont., or its lawyer, no official was made available to the Post prior to deadline.)

Snip

Mr. Mancinelli points to the rule dictating ethical behaviour as something other unions should follow.
A decade ago, as part of an internal LIUNA squabble, the largest and most powerful chapter in Canada, Toronto’s Local 183, accused the Hamilton-based regional office of breaching the anti-mob ordinance. The local hired private investigators who claimed to see Cosmo Mannella, a LIUNA official, speaking with alleged mobsters, including Domenic Musitano Jr., the son of a dead Hamilton Mafia boss, and Cosimo Commisso, a long alleged Toronto Mafia boss.
More recently, LIUNA faced another accusation of a link to Mr. Commisso. In March, LIUNA Local 183’s general counsel, John Evans, wrote to the Ontario Provincial Police asking it to assess Construction Labour Force Ltd., a firm with a LIUNA bargaining agreement, managed by Mr. Commisso’s nephew Giomino.

“The nature of the allegation brought to our attention is that this corporation is controlled by organized crime. Out of an abundance of caution we write to you to seek your assistance to investigate,” wrote Mr. Evans.
The OPP forwarded the material to the Toronto Police.
Mr. Mancinelli said any contact would be incidental, non-union related, adding Mr. Mannella may know some of the men from growing up in Toronto’s Little Italy.
“I don’t know these people, at all. In fact, they don’t like us,” he said of the gangsters.
The Carpenters faced their own accusations.
In the 1980s, Agostino “Gus” Simone was a Carpenters union representative and close associate of Toronto Mafia boss Paul Volpe. Volpe gave Peter Scarcella, long named as mob leader, a job as a Carpenters organizer, says a police report from the 1990s. Mr. Scarcella was a union organizer until 1984 when he resigned because of bad publicity for being linked to Volpe’s murder.
For the above see: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/wa ... 27f12/amp/

The Globe and Mail wrote:
In the meantime, the union battle is becoming increasingly notorious. CTV's W-Five subjected it to a long look on television last weekend, with special attention to the Dionisio faction's claims that the international, despite a U.S. Justice Department purge in the 1990s, still has links to organized crime. The segments include surveillance images, first published in The Globe and Mail, of Mr. Manella meeting with people who were described in the affidavits sworn by two retired Toronto police officers as figures "well known to law enforcement in the Greater Toronto Area."
Ever since the tapes became public, Mr. Manella has categorically denied that there was anything improper about the meetings. Hamilton's Joseph Mancinelli, a fine-arts graduate who succeeded his father, Enrico, as head of LIUNA's Canadian branch, also denied any mob links.
For the above see: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/new ... cle733046/
John Evans, the lawyer representing LIUNA Local 183, the largest construction union local in Canada, called any connection to his union in the Terceira attack “pure fiction and nonsense.”
“Any troubles which have befallen Mr. Terceira of the nature you suggest were not at the direction or behest of Local 183. While he is a litigation distraction to our cause and movement, we do not wish him physical harm. Local 183 does not condone, support or encourage the use of violence.”

Snip

In a National Post story published shortly after Terceira’s attack in December, Joe Mancinelli, LIUNA’s regional manager for central and eastern Canada, called the Carpenters union “our nemesis.”
Mancinelli was also quoted as saying, “The violence is gone, thank God, from the old days … But the tension and conflicts exist and they exist for a number of reasons.”
A veteran construction industry executive, who requested anonymity, described the Terceira incident as “perplexing.”
“Whether someone is definitely sending a message, we don’t know,’’ said the executive, recalling one other incident about 15 years ago that also involved a former Local 183 business manager.
John Stefanini, who had retired as business manager in 1992 and subsequently ran an alliance of construction unions, suffered a broken arm and a serious head gash when attackers used metal bars to beat him up outside the association’s offices near Steeles Ave. and Weston Rd. in early 1999. The attackers only yelled the word “rat” at him.
The case was never solved.
For the above see: https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/gta/20 ... ustry.html

See below also:

Toronto Star
Union Head Badly Beaten In Bold Attack Outside Office 
By Jim Rankin
Toronto Star Staff Reporter
Feb. 5, 1999
…Reached by The Star, Stefanini said he was ``not having the best of times'' and didn't want to speculate on reasons why he was attacked or who might be responsible. ``I prefer not to make any comment. There's a police investigation and I'll leave it to them,'' Stefanini said. 
Stefanini, a former business manager of Local 183 of the Labourers International Union of North America, has been the subject of violence before. In 1990, a man the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Buffalo described as a long-time organized-crime figure and son of a mob chieftain, told The Star about an American Mafia plan to have Stefanini ``dumped'' - mob talk for killed. 
Ronald M. Fino, who became a top FBI informer, described how top Mafia chiefs had debated in the late 1980s over whether Stefanini should be killed. At one point, a hunt for a contract killer was embarked upon, Fino said. ``Holy cow! There's no question we had extremely big rivalries in the 1980s (over) union philosophies,'' Stefanini told The Star's Peter Edwards in 1990 when news of the planned hit surfaced. Mobsters connected to the union decided after a couple of years that Stefanini should live, Fino said. 
South of the border, top leaders of the powerful Labourers International Union were then - and still are embroiled in allegations of ties to organized crime. In 1990, Stefanini said Local 183 resisted mob pressures in Toronto. ``We as a union fought these people and we cleaned the union out . . . We're extremely proud of our high standard,'' said Stefanini, who retired as the local's business manager in 1992. 
For the above see: https://laborers.tripod.com/laborersorg ... -5-99.html

Don't know what all this means for today or even what it mean in Dec. of 2014... but definitely interesting and something to keep looking into.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

NickleCity wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:08 pm There are differing opinions and theories about Buffalo’s significance in Canada but it is unfair to act as if their are no credible authors/journalist that believe Magaddino had significant if not near outright control of certain rackets like gambling in Toronto. Is Stephan Schneider’s research and tome on Canadian Organized Crime not credible? I believe he is or has been a criminology professor.
...Jumping back to a previous discussion to show the other side, this article makes clear that in 1967 three different Canadian police agencies believed there was no significant mafia infiltration by Magaddino in Ontario after there were reports that he had spread his operations into Canada.

Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

NickleCity wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:16 am
NickleCity wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:08 pm There are differing opinions and theories about Buffalo’s significance in Canada but it is unfair to act as if their are no credible authors/journalist that believe Magaddino had significant if not near outright control of certain rackets like gambling in Toronto. Is Stephan Schneider’s research and tome on Canadian Organized Crime not credible? I believe he is or has been a criminology professor.
...Jumping back to a previous discussion to show the other side, this article makes clear that in 1967 three different Canadian police agencies believed there was no significant mafia infiltration by Magaddino in Ontario after there were reports that he had spread his operations into Canada.

Lol right
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

According to Adrian Humphreys's The Enforcer (pp. 75-76, 2015 ed.), Stefano Magaddino travelled to Ontario in 1955 to respectively ask Roy Pasquale and Johnny Papalia to be his top lieutenant in Ontario. Magaddino first went to the nonmade Pasquale's home in Toronto. Magaddino told Pasquale about Buffalo wanting to formally take over Ontario. Pasquale refused, but he continued to be a significant independent loan shark in Toronto and beyond. Magaddino told Pasquale, who had refused, about now offering the proposed role to Papalia, who might have already been a Buffalo soldier at this point. When Pasquale travelled to Hamilton to give Papalia a heads-up, Papalia told Pasquale that Magaddino already had gone to see Papalia -- presumably in Hamilton -- and that he accepted.

Magaddino had at least one relative in Ontario: a woman in Fort Erie who mob rounder Joe Natale of Toronto persuaded to have broadloom installed in her residence. The broadloom came from Pasquale's carpet store in Toronto. The Magaddino relative refused to pay after installation. Pasquale tried to scare her by sending a thug named "Snow White." It didn't work. According to Humphreys's book about Pasquale's foster-brother Marvin Elkind, The Weasel, "[t]he next day, two large Italian men visited Roy's office and opened their jackets to show they were carrying guns. They told Roy the woman was a relative of Stefano Magaddino, the dead, but once-powerful, Mafia boss of Buffalo." Elkind and Pasquale didn't know she was a relative; Natale knew all along, though, but he failed to tell Pasquale.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Magaddino makes reference to Calogero Bordonaro being involved with the Buffalo Family as early as the 1920s and in another conversations says he (Magaddino) had been in Canada since he took over as boss in the 20s. Those Racalmuto guys had relatives across the border and Buffalo had other people from around there and neighboring villages.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Moscone65 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:00 pm That’s interesting, yes I remember saying that catroppa was with Musitano + commisso which makes sense that he was with Tony fiorda. The thing I am not sure about is tony fiordas death linked to catroppas murder? I’m thinking maybe not but who knows.
Saaid Mohiadin’s murder trial begins with Crown pointing to video, text evidence
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2022/1 ... dence.html