Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by PolackTony »

JoelTurner wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:19 am So let’s clear this up. From what I can tell there were 2 people named Paul Lombardino:

———-

1) Paul Lombardino — 1904-98 — Colombo

I posted his obituary; his personal information was posted.

———-

2) Paul Mario Lombardino — 1912-83 — possible Genovese

- Based of Sam Accardi’s phone logs, his mother was Grace LaPlaca (https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... elPageId=3)

- This was Paul’s info: https://www.ancestry.ca/discoveryui-con ... 44346:2442

- This was Grace LaPlaca’s info: https://www.ancestry.ca/discoveryui-con ... 44846:2442

- This is his info from the 1915 census. He lived with his mother Grace. They lived next to Andrew Lombardino and family. (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV9Q-H3ZL)

——————

It’s clear that there were 2 different, probably related, guys named Paul Lombardino.

I’d be surprised if Paul Mario was actually a Genovese member rather than a Colombo like the rest of the Lombardinos.

I can’t tell if/how he’s related to the other Lombardinos.
Paolo “Paul Mario” Lombardino arrived in 1912 in NYC as an infant along with his siblings and mother, Grazia Musso (her maiden name). They were bound for Newark where Grazia’s father, Giuseppe Musso, was living. Last residence was Gibellina, Trapani, though all noted that they were born in Castelvetrano. Gibellina vital records show that Grazia Maria Musso’s husband, Paolo Lombardino of Gibellina, died in Gibellina in 1911, while Grazia was pregnant with Paul Mario.

The other Paolo Lombardino was born in 1904 in Gibellina. He arrived in NYC in 1921 with his parents, Giuseppe Lombardino and Maria Zenna Iacono, and siblings; they were bound for Newark where Giuseppe’s brother Carlo had arrived in 1899. Haven’t traced out the exact link, but it’s a very good bet that the two Paul Lombardinos were relatives at some level.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Salvatore Lombardino's sons who were made into the Colombos were Rosario and Salvatore Jr. I haven't looked into Salvatore's parents but a good guess his father in Gibellina was named Rosario Lombardino if Rosario was his eldest son. FBN book (which has some errors) says Salvatore's nephew Andrew (also a Colombo member) was born to Luigi Lombardino and Licari Maltia, so Salvatore's brother should be Luigi if that's accurate.

I'd always seen Paul Lombardino of the Colombos as another nephew of Salvatore, so Giuseppe Lombardino could be another brother of Salvatore and Luigi. However Luigi and Giuseppe should have had sons with the same/similar names as Salvatore's oldest son if they were his brothers.

No idea on the Genovese one, but if he was related to the LaPlacas that could have facilitated his entry into the Genovese instead of Colombos if he was a close relative of the Colombo members. Gibellina is a small place, so any Lombardinos from there in Newark would seem to be related. One of the San Jose informants talked about how a Lombardino in NJ was a corrupt cop involved in an early murder.

One thing too is Andrew Lombardino was almost certainly made into the Newark Family like Salvatore Sr., and the Colombo Paul Lombardino may have been as well. The Genovese one probably wasn't made with Newark since he was only 19 when the books closed. That may have been a factor in his affiliation.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:11 pm One of the San Jose informants talked about how a Lombardino in NJ was a corrupt cop involved in an early murder.
I think this story got confused by the informant.

——

All the details match the murder of Austin Savi who was killed in 1927 by Salvatore Lombardino .

He got acquitted because an eye witness failed to identify him matching the Rose’s story. (https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/143346494/)

As far as I can tell, there was no police officer named Lombardino involved.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks Joel. Unless there was a police officer named Lombardino with some involvement in the murder who wasn't identified by LE, you're probably right there was a mix-up in the conversation or how it was reported.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I have Salvatore Lombardino born in 1891 in Gibellina (per vital records) to Rosario Lombardino and Lucia Pace. As noted above, Paul Mario Lombardino's father was also named Paolo Lombardino. His parents were Pasquale Lombardino and Caterina Pace. Pasquale's parents were, in turn, Luigi Lombardino and Luigia Ponzio. They were also the parents of Rosario Lombardino. So that would make Salvatore (who was the youngest of a bunch of kids) Pasquale Lombardino's nephew. In 1907, Salvatore arrived in NYC bound for Newark where older brother Luigi Lombardino (born in 1871; wife Marta Licari of Gibellina, the parents of Andrew Lombardino, born in 1904 in Newark) was already living. Luigi in turn had arrived in 1899 to a cousin also named Luigi Lombardino.

Regarding the 1927 Savi murder, nothing in the papers mentions a cop being involved, at least. On his 1929 naturalization, Lombardino stated that he was a salesman (looks like he was acquitted for the Savi murder after a witness was unable to identify him in court; funny how often that happened). It looks like he was incarcerated in Trenton in 1920, so if there was any doubt, very unlikely that he was ever a cop himself. Given that these Lombardinos had a ton of relatives in Newark, possible that one of them was a cop who was involved, who knows.

On another note, Salvatore Lombardino was of course arrested at the 1928 Hotel Statler meeting and sent back to NJ to stand trial for the Savi murder. Interestingly, it would appear that Lombardino's attorney, Salvatore LoPresti, was the one responsible for telling the authorities that Capone was in Cleveland around the time of the Statler thing. It should also be noted that the papers in Cleveland reported that the Cleveland PD executed their raid on Statler after having been tipped off by Chicago PD that members of the 'Capone gang" were traveling to Cleveland for a meeting.

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Good stuff. No question Salvatore Lombardino was never a cop (though you never know haha).

CC said Pete LaPlacas family was from Castellana Sicula / Petralia Soprana, so if Paul Lombardino's stepfather was related to Pete LaPlaca he was another Sicilian. That part of Palermo province is very far east but there was definite mafia activity in that region. Maybe the stepfather needs to be looked into more given he appears to have married into a mafia clan from Gibellina and a possible relative was a Genovese like his stepson.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

JoelTurner wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:52 pm
B. wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:11 pm One of the San Jose informants talked about how a Lombardino in NJ was a corrupt cop involved in an early murder.

——

All the details match the murder of Austin Savi who was killed in 1927 by Salvatore Lombardino .

He got acquitted because an eye witness failed to identify him matching the Rose’s story. (https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/143346494/)

We discussed this back in July in the Newark thread. viewtopic.php?p=232605#p232605

Maybe at the time Lombardino was a security guard? LOL. I'm sure there was some reason he was recalled as being a cop, we just don't know what that reason is.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Were there two Paul John "Frankie" Carbos? The only one I'm seeing is said to have been a Lucchese member.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:35 pm I have Salvatore Lombardino born in 1891 in Gibellina (per vital records) to Rosario Lombardino and Lucia Pace. As noted above, Paul Mario Lombardino's father was also named Paolo Lombardino. His parents were Pasquale Lombardino and Caterina Pace. Pasquale's parents were, in turn, Luigi Lombardino and Luigia Ponzio. They were also the parents of Rosario Lombardino. So that would make Salvatore (who was the youngest of a bunch of kids) Pasquale Lombardino's nephew. In 1907, Salvatore arrived in NYC bound for Newark where older brother Luigi Lombardino (born in 1871; wife Marta Licari of Gibellina, the parents of Andrew Lombardino, born in 1904 in Newark) was already living. Luigi in turn had arrived in 1899 to a cousin also named Luigi Lombardino.
That was an awesome deep dive!

Basically, Paul Mario was Salvatore's first-cousin-once-removed while the other younger Lombardino guys were his nephews.

I'm pretty sure that Salvatore's wife was also named Lucia Pace, same as his mother.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:09 pm
JoelTurner wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:52 pm

——

We discussed this back in July in the Newark thread. viewtopic.php?p=232605#p232605

Maybe at the time Lombardino was a security guard? LOL. I'm sure there was some reason he was recalled as being a cop, we just don't know what that reason is.
S/O to you for finding Austin Savi

My guess is that there may have been a corrupt cop involved not that Lombardino was a cop himself. You wouldn't call a security guard a cop anyways, unless you're Paul Blart.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

JoelTurner wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:27 am
PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:35 pm I have Salvatore Lombardino born in 1891 in Gibellina (per vital records) to Rosario Lombardino and Lucia Pace. As noted above, Paul Mario Lombardino's father was also named Paolo Lombardino. His parents were Pasquale Lombardino and Caterina Pace. Pasquale's parents were, in turn, Luigi Lombardino and Luigia Ponzio. They were also the parents of Rosario Lombardino. So that would make Salvatore (who was the youngest of a bunch of kids) Pasquale Lombardino's nephew. In 1907, Salvatore arrived in NYC bound for Newark where older brother Luigi Lombardino (born in 1871; wife Marta Licari of Gibellina, the parents of Andrew Lombardino, born in 1904 in Newark) was already living. Luigi in turn had arrived in 1899 to a cousin also named Luigi Lombardino.
That was an awesome deep dive!

Basically, Paul Mario was Salvatore's first-cousin-once-removed while the other younger Lombardino guys were his nephews.

I'm pretty sure that Salvatore's wife was also named Lucia Pace, same as his mother.
Correct, Salvatore’s wife was also named Lucia Pacia, born in Salaparuta to parents from Gibellina. There were multiple marriages between Lombardinos and Paces over the generations.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

These guys I can't take any further.

Ignazio Marchese
DOB, POB, Address, Mother, Father, Wife, Occupation, Origin

Salvatore Aparo

John Del Ducca
12/28/1917 NYC
2248 East 8 Street, Brooklyn, NY
Pasquale Delduca (Origin)
Felicia (Surname, Origin)
(Wife)
Butcher

Thomas Cusimano

Joseph Cusimano

Anthony DiLorenzo
1/25/1927 Brooklyn, NY
131 Ave A, New York City, NY
Salvatore DILorenzo (Origin)
Pasqualina Capone (Origin)
Lillian (Surname)
Trucking Company

Ilario Pisani
1/10/1910 Brooklyn, NY
191 Bay 8th, Brooklyn, NY
Alfred Pisani (Origin)
Imicalata Marrcellino (Origin)
Margaret LNU
Office Clerk
FBI # 1361890

Philip Tartaglia

Joseph Traina

Anthony Tuzio Dutch

Peter Bivona
3/1/1912 NYC
91 2nd Ave, New York City, NY
Gussio Bivona (Origin)
Mary (Surname, Origin)
Frances (Surname)
Concession broker

Dominick Cappolo Buddy

Maurice Longo Chubby

Paul Carbo
* Are we sure he isn't a Lucchese?

Samuel Frano

Joseph Loiacano

Salvatore Puma Sam

John Buonarobo
9/28/1912
(Address)
Edward Buonarobo (Origin)
Donna (Surname, Origin)
Antoinette (Surname)

Albert Facchiano Chinkie
3/10/1910 NYC
Address, Mother, Father, Wife, Occupation, Origin
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Paul Carbo (1904-1976) AKA Frankie Carbo- He wasn't a Lucchese, that was bad intel. The list of made guys found on John Gotti Jr showed that he was a Genovese member.

Sam Franco (1895?-1973?) - not Samuel Frano

Salvatore Puma (1911-1968 or possibly 1969)

Joseph “Lefty” Lapadura (9/14/04, San Cataldo, Caltanisetta- ) [F: Angelo Lapadura, M: Biagia Occhipuita; W: (1) Anita Manganioni, (2) Phylis May Proto; Immigrated to NY on Sicilian Prince, arriving on 12/21/1905; Address: 401 3rd Street, Brooklyn, NY (1960), 193 Bay 8th Street, Brooklyn, NY (1983); Occuption: longshoreman, retail linoleum store owner]

Joseph “Lefty” Loiacono (10/30/1907-1988) [Address: 99 Malone Ave., Staten Island, NY (1983)]

All of these guys were in the Thomas Greco crew.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:11 am Paul Carbo (1904-1976) AKA Frankie Carbo- He wasn't a Lucchese, that was bad intel. The list of made guys found on John Gotti Jr showed that he was a Genovese member.

Sam Franco (1895?-1973?) - not Samuel Frano

Salvatore Puma (1911-1968 or possibly 1969)

Joseph “Lefty” Lapadura (9/14/04, San Cataldo, Caltanisetta- ) [F: Angelo Lapadura, M: Biagia Occhipuita; W: (1) Anita Manganioni, (2) Phylis May Proto; Immigrated to NY on Sicilian Prince, arriving on 12/21/1905; Address: 401 3rd Street, Brooklyn, NY (1960), 193 Bay 8th Street, Brooklyn, NY (1983); Occuption: longshoreman, retail linoleum store owner]

Joseph “Lefty” Loiacono (10/30/1907-1988) [Address: 99 Malone Ave., Staten Island, NY (1983)]

All of these guys were in the Thomas Greco crew.
Thank you.

Sam Franco, 1895-1968 was born in Turkey to Aharon Franco and Garaz Cohen. Are we sure that's right?

The closest Salvatore Puma who died in that range was in 1966 and he was born 17 Jan 1887

I'm not seeing any correlating dates for Loiacano, there were many but none off by a month/day or viceversa.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

HK supplies the dates for Franco and Puma. Maybe he can give more info on them. The Loiacono DOB came from the 1983 senate hearings that I previously linked.

Loiacono is Joseph Charles Loiacono, son of Ciro Loiacono and Rosa Castello (or Castelli), both from Marineo. I think he was a nephew or second cousin of Salvatore Loiacono. Ciro appears to go by Carmelo.
Loiacono, Joseph Charles - WW2 Draft Reg Card p1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.