Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

motorfab
Full Patched

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by motorfab »

A thought in relation to the Montreal decina and about the membership of Paolo Violi in 1963:

I retract because it seems that in 1966 he was not yet an integrated member of the decina, but very probably still on "probation" in order to be.

During the visit of the delegation of the Bonanno faction in December 1966 in Montreal, Violi and Luppino were not happy not to have been invited to the meeting between Cotroni & Bill Bonanno in a shopping center in Montreal and had seen there a breach of protocol. This will lead to another breach of protocol on the part of Violi who called his cousin Stefano Condina to update Angelo Bruno about the situation.

The phone call would have infuriated Magaddino who called, at the request of Dominic D'Agostino who was the liaison between Luppino & Buffalo, Luppino, Violi & Cotroni in Niagara Falls in order to explain themselves (note that Cotroni refused the meeting basically claiming that he had better things to do).

Anyway, Magaddino would have asked Luppino to apply sanctions against Violi because he did not have the authority to call Angelo Bruno. But Luppino would plead in his favor by explaining that the fault of Violi was due to his lack of experience.

All that to say that I think finally Violi was still under the authority of Magaddino/Luppino at the beginning of the 60s and was probably transferred definitively a little later in the 60s.

I'm confused that I didn't think of this detail before because we wrote about it with thekiduknow on our Bonanno Split article.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Very interesting Motorfab, great insight.

So, do you think that Violi was a Cosa Nostra member under Magaddino? Or a 'Ndrangheta member under them?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Very interesting Motorfab.

Do you think Violi was in trouble for being a soldier calling a boss, or because he was an associate?

--

+ Great find on Italiano. If he was Alcamese it stands out that Bonanno saw him as political opposition to the Castellammarese.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

thekiduknow wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:30 am Very interesting Motorfab, great insight.

So, do you think that Violi was a Cosa Nostra member under Magaddino? Or a 'Ndrangheta member under them?
I think it's a bit of both. Giacomo Luppino was an 'ndrangheta boss operating in Hamilton with Magaddino's approval. Violi having started his career under the wing of Luppino, it seems that he still was in 1966.

Violi's father was a member of the 'ndrangheta in Sinopoli, and it is known that the sons of 'ndranghetisti are baptized at birth, so the way I see it, Violi at that time is a member of the 'ndrangheta still under the authority of Luppino but in the process of being transferred to the decina of Cotroni. It is often said that Violi was sent from Hamilton to Montreal in 1963 to bridge and ease tensions between Buffalo and NY.

Which also seems to confirm that Violi cannot already be fully integrated into the decina of Montreal in 1963
B. wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:38 am Very interesting Motorfab.

Do you think Violi was in trouble for being a soldier calling a boss, or because he was an associate?
According to Pierre de Champlain in Histoire du Crime Organisé à Montreal 1900-1980, Page 239 (an occasion for me to say that I owe 90% of my knowledge about Montreal to Pierre de Champlain & Jean-Pierre Charbonneau), Magaddino was unhappy because Violi had neither the authority nor the hierarchical rank to contacted a member of the Mafia (here his cousin Stefano Condina, probable member of the Angelo Bruno Family) living outside of Canada.

I mostly think that he was especially unhappy that Violi complained to an outside member of his current Family (very likely Buffalo in 1966)
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
@motorfab,

As you know, Pierre de Champlain† wrote in his 1986 book that Paolo Violi phoned an uncle named “Michelino” who lived in Philadelphia. In Mr. de Champlain’s 2014 book, this was changed to Violi’s having phoned a relative, likely his cousin Stefano Condina, who lived in Philadelphia.

The problem is, there don’t seem to be any records that establish Condina’s residence in Philadelphia or anywhere else in the US. I had always thought that Mr. de Champlain knew the surname of this Michelino but couldn’t mention it because of employment with the RCMP.

Violi’s mother’s maiden name is Condina. Maybe she had a brother named Stefano, but again, there doesn’t appear to be a record for a Stefano Condina living in Philly, nor for a Michelino Condina or Michelino Violi.

A Stefano Condina died in the Niagara Region in Ontario in 2011, and this deceased’s wife was born Maria Papalia. I think this Condina is Violi’s cousin.

Nicky Scarfo of the Philadelphia Family had relatives in the Siderno Group in New York. The TBHF poster felice once indicated that Scarfo’s surname was originally spelled Scarfò.

antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
I failed to upload the second page of the article.

Here it is:

There’s a third page to the article — I’ll upload if anyone’s interested but I want to stay on topic.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Rocco Condina was a Philadelphia member with the Calabrian faction. I don't know if he himself was Calabrian but he was part of that group. A Stefano has never surfaced to my knowledge but despite our comprehensive view of that Family it wouldn't be surprising if a few "sleepers" existed and the Condina name was there. A connection between the Philly Calabrians and Canada wouldn't be shocking (Magaddino mentions Joe Rugnetta's name at one point) but having proof of it would be news.

Re: Violi's membership, if he was affiliated with the 'Ndrangheta and not a formal member of the Buffalo Family like his father-in-law he couldn't have transferred but we do know there were unsanctioned Bonanno inductions in Canada during this period. Magaddino did comment too that his people were in Montreal and I believe he insinuated they were poached to some degree by Bonanno.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:38 pm Rocco Condina was a Philadelphia member with the Calabrian faction. I don't know if he himself was Calabrian but he was part of that group. A Stefano has never surfaced to my knowledge but despite our comprehensive view of that Family it wouldn't be surprising if a few "sleepers" existed and the Condina name was there. A connection between the Philly Calabrians and Canada wouldn't be shocking (Magaddino mentions Joe Rugnetta's name at one point) but having proof of it would be news.
If his name was Rocco Condina, than he was almost certainly Calabrese (probably Reggio province).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Antimafia -- thank you so much for finding that article. I saw it many years ago and hadn't been able to find it since, sounding off like a fool to a couple of people about this mythical newspaper article that mentioned Scarfo's alleged relation to 'Ndrangheta members. I was starting to believe I dreamt it.

Of note is that the Scarfo-Piccolos were from Mammola like the Cotronis. Both families use the Nicodemo name because it's the patron saint. We've also learned Phil Leonetti's ancestors were mainlanders with their own underworld connections.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:57 pm
B. wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:38 pm Rocco Condina was a Philadelphia member with the Calabrian faction. I don't know if he himself was Calabrian but he was part of that group. A Stefano has never surfaced to my knowledge but despite our comprehensive view of that Family it wouldn't be surprising if a few "sleepers" existed and the Condina name was there. A connection between the Philly Calabrians and Canada wouldn't be shocking (Magaddino mentions Joe Rugnetta's name at one point) but having proof of it would be news.
If his name was Rocco Condina, than he was almost certainly Calabrese (probably Reggio province).
Chris Christie has the Philadelphia Family member Rocco Di Condina listed in the relatively more recent “Revisiting Philadelphia 1963” thread, and Di Condina’s name also appears both in the “Philly making ceremonies (1990's-present) and misc. research” thread and the “Members who died in the '70's” thread.

I haven’t come across a Di Condina in the family trees I’ve constructed for Stefano Condina and for the Violi-Condina-Alvaro-Carbone clan but I wouldn’t be surprised to eventually find one.

In the 1970s, Paolo Violi was in a scheme with well-known drapery-and-blinds businessman Patsy Lachina of Pittsburgh. Canadian author James Dubro indicated in one of his 1980s books that Lachina was related to Violi, but I think there was a misidentification by law enforcement along the way — Lachina had ancestry from somewhere in Agrigento; I’m guessing his wife also had Sicilian ancestry.

EDIT: Added paras. 2 and 3 above.
Last edited by antimafia on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

B. wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:38 pm [snip]
A connection between the Philly Calabrians and Canada wouldn't be shocking (Magaddino mentions Joe Rugnetta's name at one point) but having proof of it would be news.

Re: Violi's membership, if he was affiliated with the 'Ndrangheta and not a formal member of the Buffalo Family like his father-in-law he couldn't have transferred but we do know there were unsanctioned Bonanno inductions in Canada during this period. Magaddino did comment too that his people were in Montreal and I believe he insinuated they were poached to some degree by Bonanno.
Posters might recall an article published in the 2000s by a Philadelphia paper in which the story mentions visitors from Toronto seeking advice — or was it permission? — from criminal counterparts in a particular Philly establishment. I hope I had the good sense to dig up the article and permanently save it to my Evernote account, which I opened in 2009.

I think motorfab is making the argument, as have other educated researchers, that Paolo Violi was an ‘ndranghetista who was inducted into the Buffalo Family before later transferring to the Bonanno Family. This is quite plausible.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

antimafia wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:39 pm I think motorfab is making the argument, as have other educated researchers, that Paolo Violi was an ‘ndranghetista who was inducted into the Buffalo Family before later transferring to the Bonanno Family. This is quite plausible.
There was a point made about Violi being an 'Ndrangheta member transferring to the Cotroni decina, so I just wanted to clarify that this arrangement wouldn't be possible. If he was made with Buffalo first I agree it's plausible.

---

Relevant Magaddino / Dominick Romeo tape:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... lPageId=37

- Magaddino segues from talking about Joe Bonanno to Paolo Violi.

- Someone is said to have sent for Violi who stowed away upon entry to N.America. Violi's mother is said to have been "sent for" and settled in Montreal.

- At the time Violi's mother arrived in Montreal, Magaddino says there was a man (presumably in Montreal) named "Littogrande" [ph]. This is likely Lilo Galante.

- Also says someone (Galante?) was told by the "capo" (could mean boss or capodecina) that he had "enough people". This may be a reference to the Montreal decina having maxed out its membership, which in context with Paolo Violi would indicate there was not a slot open for him to join the decina at this time.

- Someone (Galante or Violi?) was "going with Louie Grey" [ph], likely a reference to Louis Greco. "They" then removed their support from an unspecified interest and "took the money from" Paolo Violi.

- In reference to the above "John Petropulo" [ph] was in contact with Philadelphia. Could be Papalia.

- The conversation becomes even more difficult to follow but Magaddino brings it back to Joe Bonanno "recruiting people from Hamilton".

- They discuss Violi's relationship with the Luppino daughter, Magaddino pointing out that Joe Bonanno reached out to the girl's father, who he says is "also of Bonanno". This is apparently a reference to Giacomo Luppino.

- The "son of Vene" was "proposed to be be given the oust".

- Magaddino says Paolo Violi was supposed to marry the girl in Hamilton but the father of the girl was called to Montreal by Joe Bonanno and the father "joined" Bonanno there.

I always interpreted this as a possible sign Giacomo Luppino was initially made or transferred to Joe Bonanno's Family for a time but it is difficult to follow their exact train of thought. It is evident though that Magaddino believed Joe Bonanno was recruiting men from Hamilton and these events were closely connected to Paolo Violi and the Luppinos.

---

Here Magaddino discusses an issue he settled involving the Calabrians and Canada, going on to say members of the Buffalo Family are relatives of the "picciotti" (members) in Montreal with a "chain of interest and blood ties":

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... lPageId=54

- Are there any other known relationships between Buffalo members and Montreal aside from Violi and Luppino?

- He goes on to describe Vito DeFilippo reaching out to Buffalo, with the senior Bonanno member in attendance asking if Vito himself visited or "sent Paul". Paul could be a reference to Paul Volpe, known to associate with DeFilippo.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Other thoughts:

- Mob Rule states that Paul Volpe was sponsored into Cosa Nostra by both Vito DeFilippo and the Luppinos. This could have been akin to the recent induction, where Domenico Violi was included in a Bonanno ceremony in his area. Whether Volpe was first inducted as a Buffalo or Bonanno member, Mob Rule linked his induction to figures we associate with both Families. If true, this could create precedent for the recent situation with Domenico Violi.

- The affiliation of Luppino-Violi clan members with both the Buffalo and Bonanno Families and the allegation that Joe Bonanno recruited members in Hamilton muddies the waters. Later we have Joe Violi given the option of joining either one of these Families.

- Back to Paolo Violi and Giacomo Luppino, Magaddino's conversation is difficult to derive facts from but suggests the formal affiliation of these clan members involved both the Bonanno and Buffalo Families by 1965. Adding to the confusion though is the suggestion that Luppino (if that's who he referred to) was "of Bonanno" and "joined" Bonanno.

Given how difficult it is to even confirm members in Canada, there may have been transfers between Buffalo and Bonanno members in Canada that we're unaware of. I like Motorfab's thinking on this and what he mentioned plays into it.

Seems to be a very complicated situation with many moving pieces, with 'Ndrangheta figures having affiliation and/or alliances with both Buffalo and the Bonannos, the Bonanno Family dispute and Joe Bonanno's failure to follow protocol making it a mess to make sense of.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Thanks for the additional infos gentlemen. My knowledge about Phildalphia is close to absolute zero, so I totally believe you. Talking about the Scarfos member of the 'ndrangheta (great info btw), I'm not sure if he was from Mammola, but in Griffith, Australia there was a Giuseppe Scarfo who was the father in law of Antonio Sergi (the one who had a vineyard and was involved in the murder of Donald MacKay). Anyway, I would have to find out if he was a possible relative of Nicky Scarfo.

-------
B. wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:38 pm Re: Violi's membership, if he was affiliated with the 'Ndrangheta and not a formal member of the Buffalo Family like his father-in-law he couldn't have transferred but we do know there were unsanctioned Bonanno inductions in Canada during this period. Magaddino did comment too that his people were in Montreal and I believe he insinuated they were poached to some degree by Bonanno.
antimafia wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:39 pm I think motorfab is making the argument, as have other educated researchers, that Paolo Violi was an ‘ndranghetista who was inducted into the Buffalo Family before later transferring to the Bonanno Family. This is quite plausible.
From the way I analyze things, I have a slightly different point of view regarding Luppino's membership, and I think that may shed light (or not) on Violi's status:

I don't think Luppino was a formal member of the Buffalo Crime Family in Ontario like Santo Scibetta, Calogero Bordonaro & Tony Silvestro who were in Burlington & Guelph.

The fact that Luppino was a boss of the 'ndrangheta in Hamilton and he seems to be a founding member of the Camera di Controllo/Crimine of Ontario, shows that he was his own boss (in my opinion). BUT Hamilton being in the same area as Burlington & Guelph, I think he and Magaddino had some sort of deal, letting him operate in the area in exchange for having to answer to Magaddino for certain things (I guess a share of the profits or things like that). So I think he had a special status.

Violi having started his criminal career under the wing of Luppino, this explains why he had to respond to Buffalo until at least the mid-1960s. As for his membership in the 'ndrangheta, it is a little more vague. I think you can compare him to John Papalia. Both have fathers who are members of the 'ndrangheta, so according to the process, baptized at birth. But normally they are also supposed to have a ceremony as well when they are adults. It is not unheard of for mafiosi to pass from one organization to another, yet the 2 are confirmed members of Cosa Nostra and are above all considered as such (even if it seems that throughout their careers the 2 have been close to business related to the 'ndrangheta).

Well, I warned you with the "or not" above in parenthesis ^^
B. wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:28 pm Seems to be a very complicated situation with many moving pieces, with 'Ndrangheta figures having affiliation and/or alliances with both Buffalo and the Bonannos, the Bonanno Family dispute and Joe Bonanno's failure to follow protocol making it a mess to make sense of.
Damn, you summed up all my thoughts :mrgreen:
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Magaddino was recorded talking about how the Ontario 'Ndrangheta consulted with him before inducting one of the Longos into their organization and he told them they had to contact their "societies" back in Calabria, how he couldn't help them with their internal matters. It speaks volumes that the Calabrians wanted to consult with Magaddino about the induction of a new 'Ndrangheta member in Ontario even though he didn't want to interfere with their own processes.

I think that situation outlines the situation perfectly: the Calabrians in Ontario were formally represented by the Buffalo Family within Cosa Nostra and some of them became made members of Buffalo who consulted with Magaddino, but they were also allowed to govern their own 'Ndrangheta groups' inner workings as long as it didn't bother Magaddino.

Think of it like someone belonging to both Cosa Nostra and the freemasons, except here it's Cosa Nostra and the 'Ndrangheta. Cosa Nostra was not giving orders to 'Ndrangheta members in most cases, they were formally representing them within the Cosa Nostra network which was a very necessary thing at that time.