Gang Land Sep 15 2022

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Gang Land Sep 15 2022

Post by Wiseguy »

Reminds me of a Greek gambling operator in Queens who was paying the Luccheses back in the day. Don't recall his name but someone else was trying to move in on his operation and he went to Vic and Gas basically saying, "Aren't I supposed to get something in return for all the money I shell out?" They killed the guy trying to encroach on the Greek operator's territory.
All roads lead to New York.
Waingro
Straightened out

Post by Waingro »

Thanks for posting.
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

TallGuy19 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:46 am It seems like the Sally Daz situation is more a reflection of the mob's reduced ability to engage in violence. Even if they did find out who was trying to kill him, what were they going to do? The Bonnanos wouldn't have much interest in killing one or two people, let alone potentially going to war. If they can't protect their associates from people who are willing to kill, then what do they really have left?
Exactly what we’re they supposed to do? Have 2 guys follow Daz around 24-7. They were determined to kill him no matter what. And it’s not like he even knew who was after him. Must be a bad feeling living on edge like that not knowing who or why someone’s is trying to kill you.
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by NYNighthawk »

Very interesting to learn Vinny "gorgeous" basciano has no pull anymore from inside the can. It says something when the former head of a family has no say anymore unlike Vic AMuso and Steve Crea who still have the juice!
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

Wiseguy wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:07 am Reminds me of a Greek gambling operator in Queens who was paying the Luccheses back in the day. Don't recall his name but someone else was trying to move in on his operation and he went to Vic and Gas basically saying, "Aren't I supposed to get something in return for all the money I shell out?" They killed the guy trying to encroach on the Greek operator's territory.
You mean the Beluga guy? Vladimir Reznov
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Shellackhead wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:35 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:07 am Reminds me of a Greek gambling operator in Queens who was paying the Luccheses back in the day. Don't recall his name but someone else was trying to move in on his operation and he went to Vic and Gas basically saying, "Aren't I supposed to get something in return for all the money I shell out?" They killed the guy trying to encroach on the Greek operator's territory.
You mean the Beluga guy? Vladimir Reznov
No, that was another guy they helped by taking out his rival. The one I'm talking about was a Greek gambling operator in Queens who had been paying the Luccheses for years.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

NYNighthawk wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:26 pm Very interesting to learn Vinny "gorgeous" basciano has no pull anymore from inside the can. It says something when the former head of a family has no say anymore unlike Vic AMuso and Steve Crea who still have the juice!
Yeah especially since Basciano has at least one kid who is an active member, and another who is either made or an associate.

This just makes the Bonanno’s look weak in my opinion. They got a loyal associate whose kicked up millions of dollars over the years, and a former captain/boss that is taking a life sentence on the chin. Neither one of them were listened to in this ordeal. That family is a mess.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Regarding Thomas Petrizzo, I recall distinctly reading about him for the first time in the Village Voice cover story "The Mob is Dead: Long Live the Mob". One of Petrizzo's construction companies was located in Keasbey, NJ a few miles from where I grew up.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

The only gesture of sympathy for Zottola's dilemma came from ex-acting Bonanno boss Vincent (Vinny Gorgeous) Basciano who is serving a life sentence. In taped talks from prison that Basciano had with Sally Daz and his son Salvatore, he told the Zotollas he would "make some calls" to "friends" on the street for them. But help never arrived. Basciano's Bronx-based successor, current Bonanno boss Michael (Mikey Nose) Mancuso, ignored the desperate longtime associate of his crime family.
Thing is, Mancuso doesn't exactly strike me as the type who's hesitant to use violence. I don't know what the whole story is here, or if we're missing details, but maybe it was simply a matter of him being sloppy. No follow through. Either way, it undercuts the whole thing when the the mob hierarchy can't or won't provide the services the rank and file kick up in order to receive.
The Greek
Straightened out

Post by The Greek »

Spiros Valentzas?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

The Greek wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:59 pm
Spiros Valentzas?
He's the first one to come to mind but I'm not positive. The incident was in the book Gangbusters about the Luccheses, if I remember right.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

What could the bonannos do? The guys son was paying black gang members to kill his father on the sneak. It's unheard of. Maybe if they found out it was the bloods they could have reached out.
Teflon Dom
Straightened out

Post by Teflon Dom »

TallGuy19 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:46 am It seems like the Sally Daz situation is more a reflection of the mob's reduced ability to engage in violence. Even if they did find out who was trying to kill him, what were they going to do? The Bonnanos wouldn't have much interest in killing one or two people, let alone potentially going to war. If they can't protect their associates from people who are willing to kill, then what do they really have left?
You really think any other families that had that kind of money kicked up to them for that long would sit in silence like they did? IMO, it is much more likely that Mancuso is an inept Boss.

Setting the example for, why would anyone pay them for protection if when it matters, they dont even protect?

They didn't have to kill anyone, just send some messages or tell people to back off or else? Seems like they didnt lift a finger and Vinny couldnt do much from prison.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

Teflon Dom wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:57 pm
You really think any other families that had that kind of money kicked up to them for that long would sit in silence like they did? IMO, it is much more likely that Mancuso is an inept Boss.

Setting the example for, why would anyone pay them for protection if when it matters, they dont even protect?

They didn't have to kill anyone, just send some messages or tell people to back off or else? Seems like they didnt lift a finger and Vinny couldnt do much from prison.
But in this case a street gang had made multiple attempts to kill Sally Daz at his son's request. If Anthony hadn't stopped trying to kill his dad after the Bonannos told him to, and the Bloods were willing to keep making the attempts, what would the Bonannos do? What would any family do in 2022? At the very least they would have to kill Anthony and the Bloods members directly involved in the attempts—which included at least one high-ranking member. The Bloods would then be obligated to retaliate. The situation could easily devolve into a war between a Mafia family and street gang. Would the Genovese family want that? Would the Gambinos want that? Would any modern family want the media attention and police pressure that would go along with all that violence?
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
aray22
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by aray22 »

Mancuso was still in prison in 2018 when Sally Daz got killed so not sure what he could've really done.