General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:38 am Joey Hansen was born September 4, 1937. The second one could be him as he lived in Huntington Beach.
Thanks. I think it's all the same person, as so far as I can tell, there was only one Joseph Hansen born in Cook County in September of 1937. The address also very closely aligns with Hansen's address when he was pinched with Spilotro in 1959.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Are there any definitive documents on whether James Franzone transferred to San Francisco? Curious since Leonard Franzone has me thinking of that situation.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

James Franzone was identified by the FBI as back living in Chicago's Northside by 1958:

He died in Chicago in 1980. Not sure if he lived there continuously between the 1950s and 1980.

He bounced between Chicago, Tampa, San Francisco, and back to Chicago between the late 1930s and 1950s so just trying to narrow down what definitive info exists about his affiliation beyond Fratianno naming "John" Franzone as a Chicago capodecina who ordered Dominick Galiano to kill Nick DeJohn. The FBI identified Galiano as partner in a club with Leo Franzone and they kicked up profits from the club to James Allegretti. Galiano was also said by the FBI to associate closely with Ross Prio.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:46 am James Franzone was identified by the FBI as back living in Chicago's Northside by 1958:

He died in Chicago in 1980. Not sure if he lived there continuously between the 1950s and 1980.

He bounced between Chicago, Tampa, San Francisco, and back to Chicago so just trying to narrow down what definitive info exists about his affiliation beyond Fratianno naming "John" Franzone as a Chicago capodecina who ordered Dominick Galiano to kill Nick DeJohn. The FBI identified Galiano as partner in a club with Leo Franzone and they kicked up profits from the club to James Allegretti. Galiano was also said by the FBI to associate closely with Ross Prio.
Just to add some detail, Jimmy Franzone was still living in Chicago in 1930. In the 1930s, he was making multiple trips to Cuba and France (he was alleged to have been heavily involved in narcotics trafficking, so this might be related) in the 30s, and on those trips listed his address as Tampa (his younger brother Angelo Franzone was also living in Tampa around 1940). By about 1940, Franzone was living in SF, but according to articles after the DeJohn hit, was still spending time in Chicago. As B., stated, he seems to have returned to Chicago by 1958 and died there in 1980.

In the same passage, Fratianno describes “John Franzone” as the Chicago Capodecina who attempted to takeover SF.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:51 am
B. wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:46 am James Franzone was identified by the FBI as back living in Chicago's Northside by 1958:

He bounced between Chicago, Tampa, San Francisco, and back to Chicago so just trying to narrow down what definitive info exists about his affiliation beyond Fratianno naming "John" Franzone as a Chicago capodecina who ordered Dominick Galiano to kill Nick DeJohn. The FBI identified Galiano as partner in a club with Leo Franzone and they kicked up profits from the club to James Allegretti. Galiano was also said by the FBI to associate closely with Ross Prio.
Just to add some detail, Jimmy Franzone was still living in Chicago in 1930. In the 1930s, he was making multiple trips to Cuba and France (he was alleged to have been heavily involved in narcotics trafficking, so this might be related) in the 30s, and on those trips listed his address as Tampa (his younger brother Angelo Franzone was also living in Tampa around 1940). By about 1940, Franzone was living in SF, but according to articles after the DeJohn hit, was still spending time in Chicago. As B., stated, he seems to have returned to Chicago by 1958 and died there in 1980.

In the same passage, Fratianno describes “John Franzone” as the Chicago Capodecina who attempted to takeover SF.
Do you know his Tampa address?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

sdeitche wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:32 am
The record from 1937 only gives a city, but his traveling companion was Paul Antinori (spelled "Antimore"). Records from 1938/39 gives an address of 2814 N. 12th St., Tampa.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

So far I haven't seen anything that confirms Franzone was a San Francisco member, wonder if anything else is available. Lima was boss during that time and told the FBI names of historic members but I haven't seen him mention Franzone among them.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

In one FBI file I have it says he was a caporegime in SF.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:46 pm So far I haven't seen anything that confirms Franzone was a San Francisco member, wonder if anything else is available. Lima was boss during that time and told the FBI names of historic members but I haven't seen him mention Franzone among them.
Yes and we know that Lima knew Franzone very well, as they were partners in an oil and cheese company together (which papers at the time of the DeJohn murder alleged was used for narcotics trafficking).
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:33 pm
The record from 1937 only gives a city, but his traveling companion was Paul Antinori (spelled "Antimore"). Records from 1938/39 gives an address of 2814 N. 12th St., Tampa.
The original home is still at the address. That was part of Ybor City back then.

With Paul Antinori as a traveling companion, lends credence to involvement in narcotics.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

sdeitche wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:15 pm
Antiliar wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:33 pm
The original home is still at the address. That was part of Ybor City back then.

With Paul Antinori as a traveling companion, lends credence to involvement in narcotics.
Brother Angelo Franzone was still in Chicago in 1939 as well, but then married Lucille Vento (born in NO) in Tampa in 1937. In the early 40s they lived at 1017 31st Ave (which seems like it’s Ybor Heights?). Angelo listed no employment, so I’d suspect that he was involved in his brother’s activities. Bill Feather lists Angelo Franzone as a Chicago member, though I have no idea what his basis for that was (Feather also put “SF” in a note there, though I don’t see anything myself supporting that Angelo ever lived there). Angelo and Lucille were living in Chicago by 1950, at that same Lincoln Park address that Jimmy Franzone was stated to be living at in 1958. Angelo stated that he worked as a parking attendant (Loop parking garages were notoriously controlled by the outfit); he must’ve been making good money as an attendant, as he seems to have taken a trip to Italy in 1958. Angelo Franzone died in Chicago in 1962.

For the record, Jimmy and Angelo Franzone had a brother named Leonardo “Leo” Franzone, born in Borgetto, but he died in 1951 in Chicago and was not the same Leonard Franzone who relocated to Louisiana following the Hunk Galiano hit in ‘66.

If the Franzones were involved in narcotics trafficking, it may be relevant that in subsequent years Frank Rappa, their paesan’ from Borgetto, was also involved in narcotics trafficking in Chicago and NYC.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If he moved back to Chicago by 1958 (the FBI said his whereabouts were unknown in 1954) and died there he may have transferred back.
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

So what about consigliere position in Outfit? Does it really exist?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Eline2015 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:36 pm So what about consigliere position in Outfit? Does it really exist?
It's complicated.

It existed, but in a different form compared to New York. The traditional consigliere is either voted on by all the members, all the capodecinas, or selected by the boss just like an underboss. This type of consigliere is subordinate to the boss. Depending on the borgata, the consigliere could be the number 2 or number 3 position. Typical duties are to represent the members to the administration when there's a dispute, knowing the history of the borgata, being the treasurer, and often substituting for the boss in his absence.

In Chicago the consigliere is more of a powerful chairman who sets policy, controls the finances, and can cast the deciding vote. For most of the Outfit's history the consigliere was either Paul Ricca or Tony Accardo, or both. They were seen as senior statesmen, former bosses, and top bosses. Louis Campagna may have been a more traditional consigliere in the Outfit's earlier years, but if so, it ended with his death in 1955. We also don't know if it was a formal title used by the Outfit. When I asked Mike Mags about it, he thought it applied to Gus Alex. As we see in another thread, Chicago had a consiglio, or a board, and in a sense each member of that board could be seen as a type of consigliere.
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:54 am As we attempt to piece together the very cloudy leadership succession from the 90's-today, one thing crossed my mind.

It has always been assumed that Sarno took over day to day after Marcello.

Solly D was released in 2006, just after family secrets indictments. Prior to his incarceration in 1990, Solly D was clearly higher in the pecking order compared to Sarno. What is the possibility that after his release Solly D was given operational control of the outfit, and he simply ran everything through Sarno? They both go back to the Ferriola/Infelise crew, and were well acquainted. I could see a situation where Solly was the boss, with Sarno being his man on the street.

Given the fact that even post family secrets guys like Difronzo, Andriacchi, Tornabene, Delaurentis, and even Jimmy I were still around I always thought it questionable that Sarno was the real power behind the outfit throne.

Just some food for thought.
Yeah after reading the the 90s-2000s section of Villain's excellent Outfit write up, I had the same thought. It seems possible its been Solly + Jimmy even when "Mutt and Jeff" were on the street. Including the Hatch and Zizzo hits.