Information from Old NYTimes Articles

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

thekiduknow
Full Patched

Re: Information from Old NYTimes Articles

Post by thekiduknow »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:04 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:44 am Good stuff.

Interesting that June 12 raid lists a Bruno Capio as a Bonanno family captain and has him living in New Rochelle. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Bonanno’s in that area.
Yeah, that’s super interesting. I have no idea if this guy was actually a captain, or of what crew, but I’d be keen to know more. Seems like he was the Bruno Capio who was born in New Rochelle in 1916 and lived there pretty much his whole life, apart from a stint in Auburn in the 1940s (he died in FL in 2003). So he wasn’t just a guy who happened to be living in New Rochelle in the 70s, but a guy from New Rochelle. Plus, he was Calabrese, which makes me wonder if his family had any links to the old Calabrese criminal network in Westchester back in the day (Rocco Pellegrino, etc). If this guy actually was a Bonanno captain, there was probably some local dynamic there that doesn’t fall into the main Brooklyn Sicilian Bonanno family dynamics of the past.
Capio doesn't seem to have been made. I have a list from the early 1970s that lists him as an associate, "possibility of Magaddino family", which adds another layer to this guy.

He was earlier listed as an associate in a Newsday article from 1968 that names him as one of many who were subpoenaed in relation to the Bonanno war. He is also listed as a Bonanno loyalist.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

TSNYC wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:50 pm
Ivan wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:23 pm
TSNYC wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:22 am Came across some old NYTimes articles, can't copy/paste because they're too old, but figured I'd share some of the interesting highlights.
If you are on Windows 10/11, press the Windows key and PrtScr to screenshot the articles and then post the images from your Screenshots folder you can find by searching the Windows search bar.

The "Robert McMahon" listed in the final article as a hijacker is "Frenchy" in Goodfellas.

Yeah, I just wasn’t sure if quality would be awful. Can give it a shot though.

They also mention Air France. “It’s gonna be a good summer!”
Anthony Stabile is in Goodfellas, too. Interesting that they didn't change his real name in the film. He and the Hills are the only ones who weren't changed AFAIK.

If you're just screenshotting quality should be exactly the same as how the articles appear on your own monitor.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

thekiduknow wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:02 pm

Interesting that June 12 raid lists a Bruno Capio as a Bonanno family captain and has him living in New Rochelle. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Bonanno’s in that area.
Yeah, that’s super interesting. I have no idea if this guy was actually a captain, or of what crew, but I’d be keen to know more. Seems like he was the Bruno Capio who was born in New Rochelle in 1916 and lived there pretty much his whole life, apart from a stint in Auburn in the 1940s (he died in FL in 2003). So he wasn’t just a guy who happened to be living in New Rochelle in the 70s, but a guy from New Rochelle. Plus, he was Calabrese, which makes me wonder if his family had any links to the old Calabrese criminal network in Westchester back in the day (Rocco Pellegrino, etc). If this guy actually was a Bonanno captain, there was probably some local dynamic there that doesn’t fall into the main Brooklyn Sicilian Bonanno family dynamics of the past.
Capio doesn't seem to have been made. I have a list from the early 1970s that lists him as an associate, "possibility of Magaddino family", which adds another layer to this guy.

He was earlier listed as an associate in a Newsday article from 1968 that names him as one of many who were subpoenaed in relation to the Bonanno war. He is also listed as a Bonanno loyalist.
Yeah, if a guy from New Rochelle was with the Buffalo family, that’s even weirder. I suppose it’s possible that he could’ve cliqued up with them during his prison stint upstate. Thanks for the further info on him.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:34 am
thekiduknow wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:02 pm

Yeah, if a guy from New Rochelle was with the Buffalo family, that’s even weirder. I suppose it’s possible that he could’ve cliqued up with them during his prison stint upstate. Thanks for the further info on him.
Possibly. Would be interesting to know who in the Buffalo family he associated with.

Edit: Was going through Rusty Rastelli's file, and in 1969 it was noted he was spotted with a redacted individual in New Rochelle. Not saying it was Capio, but another, albeit small, connection to that area.