Let's talk about those Phillies

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Let's talk about those Phillies

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Long John Marotrano orchestrated it. The shooter was some guy named Moran I think who flipped and put Martorano away along with Albert Daidone. Daidone was involved with the union with McCullough if my memory is correct.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Daidone was also proposed for membership before he went to prison because Scarfo wanted a made member in the union after Lumio died.

Edit: Some more info on Lumio for those interested, from a buried older thread:
Some info on obscure short-lived soldier Robert Lumio:

- Grew up in Philadelphia, living in South Jersey by the early 1960s. Friend of Frank Gerace since high school.
- Made his rounds as a popular bartender and nightclub manager, primarily in the Atlantic City area.
- Earlier in the 1960s worked at the Tradewinds then in the mid-1960s become manager at the Fort Pitt nightclub in Atlantic City. Lumio's position at the club put him in contact with popular musical acts of the era.
- In 1971, the daughter of "Diamond Lil" Lillian Reis' was opening a nightclub called the Celebrity Room, named after the infamous club Lil Reis and her boyfriend Junior Staino previously operated, and Bobby Lumio was going to be the manager. It's unclear if this panned out. Later, Junior Staino's nephew Anthony Staino would be an official for Local 54, which held Lumio as its treasurer until his 1981 death so there is another connection.
- Busted in 1973 on a federal gambling arrest for sports betting w/ Gary Garramone, Albert Catalano Jr., Emilio Tramontino Jr., resulting in a 1974 conviction. Garramone was involved with union scams as well, running a consulting company dealing with dental benefits.
- Later in the 1970s Lumio worked as bartender at Saul Kane's "My Way" lounge, a well-known mob hangout where the Scarfo crew operated from.
- Began living in the Scarfo apartment building by the later 1970s. Frank Gerace's mother also lived in the Scarfo building and both Lumio and Gerace regularly met and socialized with Scarfo given their proximity.
- Became secretary-treasurer for Local 54 in 1979. Lumio had no labor union experience, having been working as a bartender immediately prior to his appointment. Technically appointed by his close friend Frank Gerace, though Scarfo boasted that he was responsible for appointing both Lumio and Gerace. Joseph Salerno, who lived in the Scarfo apartments as well during this time, testified that he heard Scarfo regularly berate Lumio, even in front of others. Lumio was described as an independent-minded individual and union decisions he made without consulting Scarfo were often the source of Scarfo's anger. Note that this was prior to Lumio's induction as a made member.
- Phil Leonetti, who also lived in the building and was inducted alongside Lumio, described Lumio as a cousin of Angelo Bruno in his testimony. It appears "Lumio" is a variation of the name Lumia, a name commonly found in Villalba, Angelo Bruno's hometown. While I can't confirm the details, Lumio's family likely came from Villalba which lends itself to Leonetti's statement.
- Despite the alleged relationship to Angelo Bruno, Lumio appears to have been an associate in the Scarfo crew from at least the late 1970s onward while Bruno was still alive with no indication that he was particularly close to Bruno, though much about Lumio remains unknown.
- It isn't clear if Lumio was still a resident of the Scarfo building at the time of his induction, but this induction ceremony is interesting as four of the attendees were either still living or had been living until recently in the same small apartment building; this would be the inductees Lumio, Leonetti, and Lawrence Merlino, along with consigliere Scarfo.
- Lumio was still the treasurer of Local 54 at the time of his death. He was replaced by family associate Albert Daidone, who was close to Long John Martorano. Scarfo immediately proposed Daidone for mafia membership following Lumio's death and Daidone's appointment, indicating to Leonetti that it was important to have a made member in this position. However, Daidone would not be inducted given his conviction alongside Martorano for the McCullough murder.
Stopflexing
Straightened out

Post by Stopflexing »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:31 pm Long John Marotrano orchestrated it. The shooter was some guy named Moran I think who flipped and put Martorano away along with Albert Daidone. Daidone was involved with the union with McCullough if my memory is correct.

Pogo
Yup now I remember..Moran went to the bar after, ordered two shots and said pour one down the drain for the dead guy
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Coincidentally Dave Portnoy reviewed Martorano's nephew's place today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kP7LujnBKU

He tried the Sicilian slice... the Martoranos come from Belmonte Mezzagno like the Scafidis, etc. etc.
Stopflexing
Straightened out

Post by Stopflexing »

B. wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:34 pm Coincidentally Dave Portnoy reviewed Martorano's nephew's place today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kP7LujnBKU

He tried the Sicilian slice... the Martoranos come from Belmonte Mezzagno like the Scafidis, etc. etc.
That place is awesome, Steve makes a killing at that spot
Uforeality
Straightened out

Post by Uforeality »

Chucky wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:45 am
Uforeality wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:45 am From what I've read and watched, Scarfo was not a popular boss at all. His own nephew ranted about how paranoid and psychotic he was. What I'm wondering is, did Scarfo have a hand in previous boss's demise?
i'm now wondering if you're retarded
LoL
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:01 pm Obviously Scarfo enjoyed killing which didn't help.
"I love this. I love it."

Worst thing Scarfo did morally was the Joe Salerno Sr. shooting. Everything else he's infamous for is understandable in the mob context and for a very violent era.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:32 pm From Wiseguy's list.

John "Johnny Keys" Simone (September 19, 1980) - captain; murdered
Frank Sindone (October 30, 1980) - captain; murdered
John McCullough (December 16, 1980) - head of Roofers Union Local 30; murdered
Edward Bianculli (December 1980) - associate; murdered
I'd probably include Caponigro and Salerno even if the Genovese technically did it. Testa must have approved.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Wasn't Testa installed as Boss after those hits went down? I forgot.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

They killed Caponigro then made Testa the boss
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

maybe a small family but there alot of killers. probaly 20+ made guys with atleast 1 hit under there belt from the scarfo and stanfa years even natale. a big gang of murderous old guys crazy
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

It would probably be easier to list the members who haven't taken part in a murder in some way. No exaggeration.

Pogo
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Shellackhead wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:33 pm What decade was the golden age of the Philly
Mob? It should be Angelo Bruno’s reign because since after he got clipped the family just spiraled out of control with inner fighting. I wonder how many rackets they lost because of those wars
What was the reason Angelo Bruno got clipped? I don't even remember. I know NY was pulling the strings behind the scenes with some double crossing but why clip him in the first place?
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

Tonyd621 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:55 pm
Shellackhead wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:33 pm What decade was the golden age of the Philly
Mob? It should be Angelo Bruno’s reign because since after he got clipped the family just spiraled out of control with inner fighting. I wonder how many rackets they lost because of those wars
What was the reason Angelo Bruno got clipped? I don't even remember. I know NY was pulling the strings behind the scenes with some double crossing but why clip him in the first place?
Bruno’s source of power was from the Gambinos due to his close relationship with Carlo Gambino. The Genovese wanted a new boss in Philly who would be aligned to their interests and not to the Binos.

Gambling had just been legalized in Atlantic City which had always been Philly territory. The westside wanted Bruno out of the way so they could have a new boss who would allow the Genovese to gain more control over AC.

Once Carlo died, Bruno essentially lost the source of his power and the Westside capitalized on his weakness.
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

stubbs wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:48 pm
Tonyd621 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:55 pm
Bruno’s source of power was from the Gambinos due to his close relationship with Carlo Gambino. The Genovese wanted a new boss in Philly who would be aligned to their interests and not to the Binos.

Gambling had just been legalized in Atlantic City which had always been Philly territory. The westside wanted Bruno out of the way so they could have a new boss who would allow the Genovese to gain more control over AC.

Once Carlo died, Bruno essentially lost the source of his power and the Westside capitalized on his weakness.
Bruno was also against the drugs and Caponigro and Casella made many money with the drugs,so this is another reason.