Let's talk about those Phillies

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Uforeality
Straightened out

Let's talk about those Phillies

Post by Uforeality »

It seems Scarfo really blew it as boss. Merlino seems like he's brought everything back down to earth. And with Merlino surrounding himself with his childhood friends, I think he's set for a very long run as boss. Are they making new guys? Building the troops up? What's your thoughts on the Philadelphia Crime Family?
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Let's talk about those Phillies

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Merlino took over the family in the wrong way and the publicity he has received is not good for a boss.
Even with all of this, he’s still the boss and as a free man.
Scarfo’s murderous ways was his downfall.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Merlino consolidated power but presides over an organization where there isn't much worth going to war with the boss over in the first place.
All roads lead to New York.
aray22
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by aray22 »

I can tell you they still love to hangout on the corner like it's 1990.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

What decade was the golden age of the Philly
Mob? It should be Angelo Bruno’s reign because since after he got clipped the family just spiraled out of control with inner fighting. I wonder how many rackets they lost because of those wars
Ryan98366
Straightened out

Post by Ryan98366 »

You gotta give Merlino and his boys credit: They don’t snitch and do their time in prison. I wonder if one of them will snitch if they get hit with a murder charge by the feds.

Lancelot will never get charged…
#Let’s Go Brandon!
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Uforeality wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:27 pm It seems Scarfo really blew it as boss. Merlino seems like he's brought everything back down to earth. And with Merlino surrounding himself with his childhood friends, I think he's set for a very long run as boss. Are they making new guys? Building the troops up? What's your thoughts on the Philadelphia Crime Family?
You are totally right. Merlino's power comes from the fact that he is life long friends with almost everybody in his organisation.
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

Uforeality wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:27 pm It seems Scarfo really blew it as boss. Merlino seems like he's brought everything back down to earth. And with Merlino surrounding himself with his childhood friends, I think he's set for a very long run as boss. Are they making new guys? Building the troops up? What's your thoughts on the Philadelphia Crime Family?
In a Pogo chart are listed 45 made men on the streets and the family went back to Atlantic City so is an active family and made some guys in the recent years.
The fortune of Merlino was that he had childhood friends that stay loyal while Stanfa have no real support on the streets;another thing was that Ligambi (while Merlino was in prison) rebuilted the families,restore the ties with NY and expand the rackets.
Uforeality
Straightened out

Post by Uforeality »

Shellackhead wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:33 pm What decade was the golden age of the Philly
Mob? It should be Angelo Bruno’s reign because since after he got clipped the family just spiraled out of control with inner fighting. I wonder how many rackets they lost because of those wars
Definitely think the golden age was the height of the Bruno era. Scarfo came along and shot everyone. There’s so much money to go around. It’s surprising how Scarfo was allowed to carry on the way he did.
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

Uforeality wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:29 am
Shellackhead wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:33 pm What decade was the golden age of the Philly
Definitely think the golden age was the height of the Bruno era. Scarfo came along and shot everyone. There’s so much money to go around. It’s surprising how Scarfo was allowed to carry on the way he did.
Because everyone was making money and nobody was crying over the guys Scarfo had clipped, which was mostly guys not wanting to pay the tax.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
Geeleonetti
Honorary Member

Post by Geeleonetti »

I seen dom grande in lowes last year, It’s pretty comical anyone fears this guy. He’s like 5 foot and wears dress shoes with high shorts. I mean sure, he may use a gun or whatever but it’s pretty ridiculous anyone would listen to this guy.
Uforeality
Straightened out

Post by Uforeality »

Geeleonetti wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:17 pm I seen dom grande in lowes last year, It’s pretty comical anyone fears this guy. He’s like 5 foot and wears dress shoes with high shorts. I mean sure, he may use a gun or whatever but it’s pretty ridiculous anyone would listen to this guy.
I think you should consider what kind of influence Grande has.
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

I forget where I read it but Bruno was the height of the organization was around 270 associates which is significantly more than what it is today

Was also reading rereading mafia prince and some of Anastasia’s old articles and damn did Scarfo ruin everything. Killed 13 made guys when the family never had more than 60 when he was around. If I remember correctly the total figure of guys murdered was around 40 people on top of the fed pressure and indictments fucking crazy.

It’s a miracle this organization still exists even in its declined state
jmack
Straightened out

Post by jmack »

Dave65827 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:28 pm I forget where I read it but Bruno was the height of the organization was around 270 associates which is significantly more than what it is today

Was also reading rereading mafia prince and some of Anastasia’s old articles and damn did Scarfo ruin everything. Killed 13 made guys when the family never had more than 60 when he was around. If I remember correctly the total figure of guys murdered was around 40 people on top of the fed pressure and indictments fucking crazy.

It’s a miracle this organization still exists even in its declined state
I certainly don’t defend Scarfo, but I try to put myself in his shoes. His two predecessors were murdered in rapid succession. In his mind it was probably kill or be killed. Was he a maniac? Yes. I just think there was a method to his madness. He died an old man and not shotgunned or blown up.
Stopflexing
Straightened out

Post by Stopflexing »

Keep in mind south Philly is a totally different world today than 30-40 years ago