whats left?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

NewEnglandHere
Honorary Member

whats left?

Post by NewEnglandHere »

guy gets made whats left to earn? sgambling is legal unions are heavily moitored i mean whats left to earn?
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: whats left?

Post by Little_Al1991 »

The Five Families are still active.Recent indictments show that members are still earning big amounts of money, well at least some of them.
A lot of them work honest jobs within the construction industry such as John Pennisi.
Hired_Goonz
Straightened out

Post by Hired_Goonz »

Well if you play your cards right you could end up with a podcast.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Oh god. More ignorance. "Whats left". Smh
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

One could write volumes on how much the racket opportunities for LCN have diminished over the years. The world the mob came to power in is not the world of today. One former prosecutor devoted a whole section of his book to demonstrate how things changed for the mob in four main areas - gambling (numbers), loansharking, narcotics, and labor racketeering.
All roads lead to New York.
sharpieone
Straightened out

Post by sharpieone »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:14 am The Five Families are still active.Recent indictments show that members are still earning big amounts of money, well at least some of them.
A lot of them work honest jobs within the construction industry such as John Pennisi.
I think this has been one of the biggest changes -- guys have to show legit income, and some of them end up actually working. If you believe all the reports, even Barney has a large portfolio of legitimate construction work, real estate, etc.
Uforeality
Straightened out

Post by Uforeality »

Gambling and loansharking are still money makers. Insurance fraud is another one. Labor racketeering and union infiltration are dwindling. Crime is crime tho. Traditional mafia rackets are evolving to more complex scams. Then there's always drug dealing. Still big money there
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:14 am One could write volumes on how much the racket opportunities for LCN have diminished over the years. The world the mob came to power in is not the world of today. One former prosecutor devoted a whole section of his book to demonstrate how things changed for the mob in four main areas - gambling (numbers), loansharking, narcotics, and labor racketeering.
John Pennisi said that in about 10 years, the mob will be a organised street gang
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

Uforeality wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:57 am Gambling and loansharking are still money makers. Insurance fraud is another one. Labor racketeering and union infiltration are dwindling. Crime is crime tho. Traditional mafia rackets are evolving to more complex scams. Then there's always drug dealing. Still big money there
The sports gambling volume they are bringing in is mind blowing given the internet and suburbs growth . I don’t know the effect legalization is having but absent that the mobs sports gambling book is bigger then it was years ago. It’s how they survived and in some cases flourished the last 20 years. I don’t see mob activity slowing down until they disrupt these huge gambling books . Senior Mngt at Companies like Fan Duel openly talk about how big the black market still is on n metro area.

With gambling and weed legalization, it’s a great time to be a gangster today.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:38 pmJohn Pennisi said that in about 10 years, the mob will be a organised street gang
They've been saying that for the last 30 years.
NewEnglandHere
Honorary Member

Post by NewEnglandHere »

so i asssume for instanc at football season many people still bet with a bookmaker vs the state? inew jersey took in over a billion dollars in sport bets
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

rphillips wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:01 am so i asssume for instanc at football season many people still bet with a bookmaker vs the state? inew jersey took in over a billion dollars in sport bets
It's not like every player suddenly switched over to DraftKings or whatever. Some may have, while others have been using both. It's ultimately a different clientele and there will always be some who want to (or have to) bet on credit and avoid taxes.
BlackDow
Prospect

Post by BlackDow »

Legal regulated bookies will limit successful punters. Do the mob do this?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

BlackDow wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:51 pm Legal regulated bookies will limit successful punters. Do the mob do this?
If you mean bettors that keep winning, I've read the bookie will sometimes insist the bettor share any information he may have about his picks.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

TommyNoto wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:24 pm
Uforeality wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:57 am Gambling and loansharking are still money makers. Insurance fraud is another one. Labor racketeering and union infiltration are dwindling. Crime is crime tho. Traditional mafia rackets are evolving to more complex scams. Then there's always drug dealing. Still big money there
The sports gambling volume they are bringing in is mind blowing given the internet and suburbs growth . I don’t know the effect legalization is having but absent that the mobs sports gambling book is bigger then it was years ago. It’s how they survived and in some cases flourished the last 20 years. I don’t see mob activity slowing down until they disrupt these huge gambling books . Senior Mngt at Companies like Fan Duel openly talk about how big the black market still is on n metro area.

With gambling and weed legalization, it’s a great time to be a gangster today.
This part. It's what I don't get. The internet part. When they settle up, It's all cash, no credit cards or paypal type anything? So all their customers have to be local.. right?

Are the bookies in NY, operating online gambling software based in say..... Costa Rica, but all the bets are from local people? Or do they take bets from say... Mike in Idaho? But then if so, how do they settle up? If it's all in person, and cash only?

I'm too simple to wrap my head around it... I need a breakdown... lol