What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JoelTurner
Full Patched

Re: What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:54 pm NYT 1930Nov5 Ape Pacelli shooting edit.jpg
They killed the guy inside the hospital, that’s crazy.
Antiliar wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:54 pm NY Daily News 1930Nov5 p3b Pacelli Boiardo Zwillman.jpg
The 2nd article has some very interesting material witnesses. Ralph Russo was with the Boiardo gang. I don’t know who’s Ernest Fiumara but his last name is known. I wonder if there was a relation to Tino.

I love these articles!
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:47 pm Monaco Russo murder

The Daily News (Passaic, NJ) 1931Sep14 p1 Monaco Russo.jpg

The Daily News (Passaic, NJ) 1931Sep14 p3 Monaco Russo.jpg

NY Daily News 1931Sep14 Russo Monaco slain.jpg

Jersey Observer 1931Sep14 Monaco Russo.jpg

Jersey Observer 1931Sep14 p2 Monaco Russo.jpg

NJ newspaper Monaco Russo.jpg

NJ newspaper p2 Monaco Russo.jpg

NJ newspaper p3 Monaco Russo.jpg
These are interesting. I don’t think the Monaco/Russo murders had anything to do with the murder of Dominic Pacelli.

I’m curious as to who was Mangiacina either Benny or “C”

It’s great to have these articles
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I added the Pacelli articles because the newspapers linked his murder to that of Monaco and Russo.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:42 pm The exact origins of the Philly Newark membership are mysterious but the Philadelphia Family had two successive bosses who lived in North Jersey, both Joe Bruno Dovi and Joe Ida lived in New Brunswick.
New Brunswick to Philadelphia is a 65 mile drive so about an hour and half. Doable but they probably had drivers so that helped. Still, it means that they would know all the North Jersey hoods. I wonder if they were recruiting kids up there. I'm curious about how was in Johnny Keys' crew, were there any old timers.
B. wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:42 pm Interestingly Ray DeCarlo said he and Cy Rega were initiated into Cosa Nostra in a ceremony presided over by Philly boss Joe Bruno. Similarly Nick Delmore was inducted in the same 1940s ceremony as Richie Boiardo -- if I remember right Jerry Catena was made in that ceremony as well. It's not clear if DeCarlo/Rega were initially considered Philly members who transferred or if Delmore was considered Genovese and transferred, or if they just allowed multi-Family ceremonies in NJ at the time.
I think this meant that the families were close and had good relationships. DeCarlo and Rega were made at Carmine Battaglia's house which draws back to this Newark thing. If I have the right guy, this is his census info: https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-co ... 4d7d785e87.
B. wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:42 pm Back to Philly, all we really know is both Fresolone and Scoops Licata separately said Tony Caponigro started out under Albert Anastasia. Licata said Louie Luciano was also originally under Anastasia along with Caponigro. No indications they were made in the Gambino Family, but appear to be associates who were given to Philly. Anastasia was very close to Joe Ida so they may have been assigned direct to him initially.
Caponigro and Luciano would have switched at some point in the mid-50s then. Johnny Keys was made a captain while Mr. Miggs was boss so late 50s. Do we know who they had in Newark at that point? I know some of his guys who were in Trenton
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

JoelTurner wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:55 am
These are interesting. I don’t think the Monaco/Russo murders had anything to do with the murder of Dominic Pacelli.

I’m curious as to who was Mangiacina either Benny or “C”

It’s great to have these articles
I agree. I think the Mangiaracina name is worth further investigation. We've seen it in the Bonanno Family and in Kansas City.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

When I looked into it years ago I believe Monaco's business partner was a Calogero Mangiaracina who may have come from Camporeale. Would need to verify it again though.

Joe Ida might well have been recruiting local NJ guys. He was even trying to recruit young Calabrian guys into American Cosa Nostra when he was living back in Italy according to Bruno so easy to imagine he'd do it in NJ though seems most of the Philly NJ members were first associates with NYC Families. I never saw evidence the Philly Newark crew has roots in the Newark Family, though maybe a guy like Cappello was a Newark member before he moved to Philly.

What's odd about the DeCarlo / Rega induction is not only did Joe Bruno officiate the ceremony but before that he insisted that they be made, yet they were members of a different Family. There is a lot of fluidity between these Jersey guys which is one reason tracing the history is difficult.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:09 pm I agree. I think the Mangiaracina name is worth further investigation. We've seen it in the Bonanno Family and in Kansas City.
I had read about the ones in Kansas City on the MafiaHistory.us site, but I don’t know the Bonanno ones.

It’s a fairly unique name, I wonder if they’re all related.

I think I found “Bennie” Mangiaracina. Here’s his 1930 census info:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X4DB-XN8. He was a boarder so I don’t think he was the “C” who was Monaco’s partner.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

- Salvatore Mangiaracina of the Bonanno Family (likely the same guy ID'd by Gentile as a high-level figure in Castellammarese War negotiations) was from Partinico but his wife and children lived near the Borgio Vecchio part of Palermo for at least a time while Mangiaracina was in the US. He listed Stefano LoPiccolo as a relative -- LoPiccolo was referenced as a figure of some importance during the war also.

- We know there were close ties between Partinico and Camporeale, so the NJ Mangiaracina from Camporeale who may have been Monaco's business partner fits that crowd. We also have Nicolo Schiro moving to Newark and his clan was mostly from Camporeale/Partinico. Monaco being a possible diehard Maranzano loyalist, hence his murder, could play into some of this.

- The KC Mangiaracinas were from Castelvetrano. No obvious connections to the ones in NYC/NJ.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I’d assume that if there were ever any connections between the Castelvetrano Mangiaracinas and those in Camporeale/Partinico, it would’ve been pretty far back. I’d think they were very unlikely to have any direct connection. For what it’s worth, the Mangiaracina surname is way more common in Southern Trapani (Mazara/Castelvetrano), so my assumption is that the far fewer Mangiaracinas in Palermo province originated there, though that probably happened a long time ago.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:20 pm - Salvatore Mangiaracina of the Bonanno Family (likely the same guy ID'd by Gentile as a high-level figure in Castellammarese War negotiations) was from Partinico but his wife and children lived near the Borgio Vecchio part of Palermo for at least a time while Mangiaracina was in the US. He listed Stefano LoPiccolo as a relative.
Interestingly enough, LoPiccolo was actually mentioned in the Magaddino wire tap that was discussed earlier in this thread.

He ran into LoPiccolo on the train while heading to Chicago meeting. Apparently, LoPiccolo was the one who told him that this banquet was going to be a money making scheme for Maranzano.

He was a captain in the now in ‘31, but there’s not much about him after that is there?

——————-
B. wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:20 pm We also have Nicolo Schiro moving to Newark and his clan was mostly from Camporeale/Partinico. Monaco being a possible diehard Maranzano loyalist, hence his murder, could play into some of this.
I never really thought too much about what Schiro did after resigning, didn’t know he was in Jersey either. He quit in spring 1930 and then what? He would have been around 60 and wealthy. Do you know if he was involved in anything?

You mentioned ethnic ties between Schiro and Monaco; could it have been possible that he transferred to the Newark Family and became a sleeper.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

No direct hometown ties between Schiro and Monaco, but Monaco's business partner may have been a compaesano of Schiro. There were also Vitesi paesans of Monaco in the NYC Bonannos like Nicola Gruppuso, who was murdered by future Bonanno member Mike Adamo (himself Vitese and a cousin of Settimo Accardi), but I've always found it mysterious the Trapani Newark guys didn't join the Bonannos post-Newark.

Schiro stayed in contact with Frank Desimone of LA via letter right up until his death so his relationships to mafiosi didn't end. I assume Schiro was a retired Bonanno member living in NJ who socialized with mafia figures but nobody has ever said what he was up to. An NJ FBI source in 1958 had known Schiro and knew about his close relationship with SF boss Frank Lanza and told a story about Schiro's fall from grace in connection with Lanza.

Here is the report:

https://i.ibb.co/0Ywmkn0/schiro.png

Whoever this NJ source was, he knew highly specific details about Schiro's history which tells us he either had a personal connection or mafiosi in NJ were familiar with Schiro and his history.

Not impossible for Schiro to have joined Newark, but we could speculate about any number of arrangements. There's nothing to suggest his relationship to the new Bonanno leaders was so bad that he would have transferred, he was just seen as no longer suited to be boss.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

No direct hometown ties between Schiro and Monaco, but Monaco's business partner may have been a compaesano of Schiro. There were also Vitesi paesans of Monaco in the NYC Bonannos like Nicola Gruppuso, who was murdered by future Bonanno member Mike Adamo (himself Vitese and a cousin of Settimo Accardi), but I've always found it mysterious the Trapani Newark guys didn't join the Bonannos post-Newark.

Schiro stayed in contact with Frank Desimone of LA via letter right up until his death so his relationships to mafiosi didn't end. I assume Schiro was a retired Bonanno member living in NJ who socialized with mafia figures but nobody has ever said what he was up to. An NJ FBI source in 1958 had known Schiro and knew about his close relationship with SF boss Frank Lanza and told a story about Schiro's fall from grace in connection with Lanza.

Here is the report:

Whoever this NJ source was, he knew highly specific details about Schiro's history which tells us he either had a personal connection or mafiosi in NJ were familiar with Schiro and his history. The fact that in 1958 he knew specifically where Schiro had operated in Brooklyn and correctly recalled Frank Lanza's San Fran address tells us this was someone interesting.

Not impossible for Schiro to have joined Newark, but we could speculate about any number of arrangements. There's nothing to suggest his relationship to the new Bonanno leaders was so bad that he would have transferred, he was just seen as no longer suited to be boss.

There's no way Schiro lived in Bloomfield and didn't interact with mafia members in some capacity.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:25 pm Joe Ida might well have been recruiting local NJ guys. He was even trying to recruit young Calabrian guys into American Cosa Nostra when he was living back in Italy
This sounds like it would be the Calabrian version of zips. Nobody ever did that though. It makes it pretty certain that he’d be willing to look at north Jersey for prospects.
B. wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:25 pm What's odd about the DeCarlo / Rega induction is not only did Joe Bruno officiate the ceremony but before that he insisted that they be made, yet they were members of a different Family.
He tried a similar thing with Sam the Plumber too but his old man nixed it. Maybe he wanted all the up-and-comers in Jersey. Or he thought it was a way to put them on a fast track to getting made. It is a strange situation
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:25 pm Not impossible for Schiro to have joined Newark, but we could speculate about any number of arrangements. There's nothing to suggest his relationship to the new Bonanno leaders was so bad that he would have transferred, he was just seen as no longer suited to be boss.
This is true, post-Castellammarese War, the Bonanno leadership would have been fine letting him be a member who’s semi-retired.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:25 pm Here is the report:

This is an extremely interesting report. I’ve never heard this story but it bares a lot of similarities to the story that Bonanno told about Masseria making Schiro pay him and step down. It leaves me with some major questions:

1) Has the mafia ever kidnapped anyone for ransom in the US, let alone a sitting boss?

2) Who was so powerful that they could make Schiro step down only for preventing his friend from being kidnapped? In theory, this would be Masseria who was BOB.

3) $300 000 is a specific number, but would have been a gigantic amount in 1929. In today’s day, it’s $5,072,087.72. It just feels way to high.

4) The informant says that Schiro was made to step down in early 1929. Wasn’t Schiro boss as late as May 31st 1930, when Gaspar Milazzo and his driver Sam Parrino were killed?

5) The informant knew specific details like the town where this meeting was held. Yet, it’s weird that Joe Bonanno wouldn’t mention it at all. Even if he wasn’t “in the know” at the time, he would have heard the story eventually either from Maranzano or from another old timer.

6) Schiro was a boss and appears to have groomed several other bosses: Magaddino-Buffalo, Frank Lanza-San Fran., Gaspare Messina-Boston, and (depending on the dates) Gaspar Milazzo-Detroit. What made him so vulnerable that he stepped down and paid an astronomical indemnity?

————————-

Either ways, at some time in the late 20s/early 30s, Schiro stepped down and had to forfeit some money.