What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Post by Antiliar »

B. wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:58 pm Because Troia, Maranzano, and Riela entered the country illegally, would be good to know the route. When Joe Bonanno entered the US illegally he first went to Tunis then France. That may have been an ideal route for mafiosi looking to be smuggled in. Troia had already visited Tunis via Trapani and Maranzano could have used the same Trapani-Tunis network Bonanno used. Be interesting if all of these guys stopped in at Tunis in addition to the ones who passed through there legally.
Maranzano arrived legally in 1925 and applied for naturalization. Unfortunately the record went missing, but the index card still exists.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I was thinking of that mysterious 1923 visit Elisabetta Maranzano and their children made where she says she's arriving to her husband "G. Maranzano" in Brooklyn. Use of the wrong initial makes it confusing but also possible he was using an alias. It clearly says husband and the wife and children's names and ages all match Salvatore's family, plus her departure contact is her brother Minore.

If I remember, Tom Hunt looked into it and found no legal documentation he entered under his own name in 1923 or earlier, which suggests he may have illegally entered the US for a period before his official move. Shouldn't have stated it as definitively as I did alongside the others but that's what I was referring to.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I think the manifest for Elisabetta may have been for her husband's brother Nicolo Maranzano, who lived at 93 Truxton in 1930, or maybe brother Giuseppe. I believe several of his brothers moved to New York before he did, such as Angelo, Nicola, Giuseppe, and maybe a Domenico. It's been a while since I looked them up. If Salvatore did arrive earlier he obviously returned legally. When Maranzano was arrested in Brooklyn in October 1925 he said he'd only been in the country for seven months. He claimed he was living in Buffalo. Makes me wonder if initially he was part of Magaddino's borgata and then switched to Schiro.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:19 am When Maranzano was arrested in Brooklyn in October 1925 he said he'd only been in the country for seven months. He claimed he was living in Buffalo. Makes me wonder if initially he was part of Magaddino's borgata and then switched to Schiro.
I think it was found that he owned a place in Canada not from Buffalo too. He was probably with them before moving to NYC
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

What do we know about Antonio Paterno?

He seems to be the only Newark Family member to head to the Gambino family, but he was listed as a captain. I was wondering if he could have brought some people with him.

Looking at NJ Gambino members, Frank Perrone and William Malanga, both born in 1909 were old enough to have been his associates in the 30s. I don’t think either of them were ever Newark Family members.

Does anyone know anything about his crew?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

FWIW, I uploaded Anthony Riela's FBI file to the FBI files section.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Antiliar wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:10 pm FWIW, I uploaded Anthony Riela's FBI file to the FBI files section.
Does it give a lot of his early history or does it really pick up after Appalachian?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

cavita wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:13 pm
Antiliar wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:10 pm FWIW, I uploaded Anthony Riela's FBI file to the FBI files section.
Does it give a lot of his early history or does it really pick up after Appalachian?
Goes back to the late 1920s/early 1930s.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Antiliar wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:45 pm
Awesome! Thanks so much for posting it up!
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

cavita wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:50 pm
Antiliar wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:45 pm
Awesome! Thanks so much for posting it up!
Glad to. I'll post more FBI files every now and then.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The Riela files have a lot of great general info -- some of the excerpts I posted earlier are from them. Riela is a good example of a guy who may or may not have ever held a rank above soldier but was a major national figure.
JoelTurner wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:44 am What do we know about Antonio Paterno?

He seems to be the only Newark Family member to head to the Gambino family, but he was listed as a captain. I was wondering if he could have brought some people with him.
He was employed by Empire Yeast which was taken over by Giuseppe Traina after Nino Cecala died, so he was linked to the Gambino Family earlier. He was also from Catania so not from an obvious Sicilian mafia background. He might well have been a Newark member but I haven't seen him mentioned as being part of that inner circle with the usual Newark Family suspects.

Another guy involved in Empire Yeast in North Jersey when the Newark Family existed was John Cappello Sr. who was a paesan of Traina and moved to Philly where he became a captain in that Family. I've wondered if Cappello was a Newark member or with the Gambino Family. His son was said to be made in Philly in the early 1940s so Cappello Sr. was no doubt a member when he lived in NJ,
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:02 pm The Riela files have a lot of great general info -- some of the excerpts I posted earlier are from them.

How do I find these files? I’m not sure where you posted them.
B. wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:02 pm He was employed by Empire Yeast which was taken over by Giuseppe Traina after Nino Cecala died, so he was linked to the Gambino Family earlier. He was also from Catania so not from an obvious Sicilian mafia background. He might well have been a Newark member but I haven't seen him mentioned as being part of that inner circle with the usual Newark Family suspects.

The Empire Yeast had a lot of big players involved, I wonder if that means that Paterno had some clout. If the others in Empire Yeast held a rank or were top captains, it would increase the probability that Paterno was of a similar stature.

quote=B. post_id=229216 time=1652922128 user_id=127] Another guy involved in Empire Yeast in North Jersey when the Newark Family existed was John Cappello Sr. who was a paesan of Traina and moved to Philly where he became a captain in that Family. I've wondered if Cappello was a Newark member or with the Gambino Family. His son was said to be made in Philly in the early 1940s so Cappello Sr. was no doubt a member when he lived in NJ,
[/quote]

Does anyone know who started the Philadelphia Family’s crew in Newark? Johnny Keys had the crew, but did he found it?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Monaco Russo murder
The Daily News (Passaic, NJ) 1931Sep14 p1 Monaco Russo.jpg
The Daily News (Passaic, NJ) 1931Sep14 p3 Monaco Russo.jpg
NY Daily News 1931Sep14 Russo Monaco slain.jpg
Jersey Observer 1931Sep14 Monaco Russo.jpg
Jersey Observer 1931Sep14 p2 Monaco Russo.jpg
NJ newspaper Monaco Russo.jpg
NJ newspaper p2 Monaco Russo.jpg
NJ newspaper p3 Monaco Russo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Dominick "the Ape" murder:
NYT 1930Nov5 Ape Pacelli shooting edit.jpg
NY Daily News 1930Nov5 p3b Pacelli Boiardo Zwillman.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JoelTurner wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:36 pm
How do I find these files? I’m not sure where you posted them.

Does anyone know who started the Philadelphia Family’s crew in Newark? Johnny Keys had the crew, but did he found it?
Antiliar generously shared Riela's files with the board. I meant that I posted screencaps earlier in the thread from a similar set of files if not the same ones.

The exact origins of the Philly Newark membership are mysterious but the Philadelphia Family had two successive bosses who lived in North Jersey, both Joe Bruno Dovi and Joe Ida lived in New Brunswick. Interestingly Ray DeCarlo said he and Cy Rega were initiated into Cosa Nostra in a ceremony presided over by Philly boss Joe Bruno. Similarly Nick Delmore was inducted in the same 1940s ceremony as Richie Boiardo -- if I remember right Jerry Catena was made in that ceremony as well. It's not clear if DeCarlo/Rega were initially considered Philly members who transferred or if Delmore was considered Genovese and transferred, or if they just allowed multi-Family ceremonies in NJ at the time.

The above arrangements may not have been that strange, as Ray Patriarca presided over the inductions of Genovese Springfield members in the 1950s, just like Maranzano inducted Lucchese associates in 1930. In Sicily Dr. Allegra said his friend in Alcamo was taken to Palermo to be made into the Alcamo Family and much later Gaetano Badalamenti presided over the induction of Father Agostino Coppola into the Corleone Family despite Badalamenti being boss of Cinisi. I believe Brusca was also inducted by the boss of another Family. Tangent but it's just odd this seems to have been going on in NJ in the 1940s.

Back to Philly, all we really know is both Fresolone and Scoops Licata separately said Tony Caponigro started out under Albert Anastasia. Licata said Louie Luciano was also originally under Anastasia along with Caponigro. No indications they were made in the Gambino Family, but appear to be associates who were given to Philly. Anastasia was very close to Joe Ida so they may have been assigned direct to him initially.