General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Amershire_Ed »

What would a pie chart breaking down the Italian heritage of made members of American Cosa Nostra in the 20th century look like? 80% Sicilian, 10% Neopolitan, 8% Calabrian, 2% other? Something like that?

I know for decades the Bonanno Family was exclusively Sicilian, and I believe Greg Scarpa initially thought he’d never get made because his roots were Northern Italian. In the Leonetti book, Scarfo is *constantly* complaining to Leonetti about any wiseguy with Sicilian heritage. Im just curious what folks think the numbers were.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:47 pm What would a pie chart breaking down the Italian heritage of made members of American Cosa Nostra in the 20th century look like? 80% Sicilian, 10% Neopolitan, 8% Calabrian, 2% other? Something like that?

I know for decades the Bonanno Family was exclusively Sicilian, and I believe Greg Scarpa initially thought he’d never get made because his roots were Northern Italian. In the Leonetti book, Scarfo is *constantly* complaining to Leonetti about any wiseguy with Sicilian heritage. Im just curious what folks think the numbers were.
I would say fifty Sicilian fifty non

There’s Lotta mainlanders in the west side
The most non Sicilian of the NYC five
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:33 am
Amershire_Ed wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:47 pm What would a pie chart breaking down the Italian heritage of made members of American Cosa Nostra in the 20th century look like? 80% Sicilian, 10% Neopolitan, 8% Calabrian, 2% other? Something like that?

I would say fifty Sicilian fifty non

There’s Lotta mainlanders in the west side
The most non Sicilian of the NYC five
As CC has shown, even the Gambinos in the 1960s were only ~60% Sicilian. Some families outside of NYC were almost entirely Sicilian (Detroit, KC, Rockford), while others had large Mainlander contingents (Chicago, Pittsburgh, New England).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

PolackTony wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:57 am As CC has shown, even the Gambinos in the 1960s were only ~60% Sicilian. Some families outside of NYC were almost entirely Sicilian (Detroit, KC, Rockford), while others had large Mainlander contingents (Chicago, Pittsburgh, New England).
How about Cleveland? Mostly Sicilian? I've never looked into the ancestry of the guys there... I think Lonardo, Porello, and Scalish were Sicilian, but that's all I know.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Ivan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:40 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:57 am As CC has shown, even the Gambinos in the 1960s were only ~60% Sicilian. Some families outside of NYC were almost entirely Sicilian (Detroit, KC, Rockford), while others had large Mainlander contingents (Chicago, Pittsburgh, New England).
How about Cleveland? Mostly Sicilian? I've never looked into the ancestry of the guys there... I think Lonardo, Porello, and Scalish were Sicilian, but that's all I know.
Ancestry isn't my thing but JCB seems to be enamored with it. I'd check in with him to see what he has to say.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I’ve never looked in detail at the ancestry of the Cleveland membership, but my impression is that despite Milano’s prominence they seem to have recruited comparatively few Mainlanders.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

FriendofHenry wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:08 pm
Ancestry isn't my thing but JCB seems to be enamored with it. I'd check in with him to see what he has to say.
The Pittsburgh Youngstown guys were definitely mainlanders for the most part though, now that I'm pretty sure of.

I wonder if the Carabbias were Sicilian? Just curious if Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland didn't have some kind of islanders vs. mainlanders subtext...
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

This doesn't mean that there weren't more but the only Sicilian I knew was Charlie and he reminded Michael and Jo Jo of that every chance he got ;)
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I have the Carabbia’s father, Antonio Carabbia, as born in L’Aquila province, Abruzzo. Their mother was born in PA to Italian parents, father’s surname Carbone, but I’m not sure where they were from in Italy (Campania is a guess).
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Thanks guys.
Nurzhamba
Straightened out

Post by Nurzhamba »

Please correct me. The crews of the Lucchese McDonald Avenue were based in Gravesend, and the crew of the 19th hole in Dyker Heights?
Nurzhamba
Straightened out

Post by Nurzhamba »

And also Utica Avenue and the crew of the 19th hole - one decina?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Nurzhamba wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:55 am Please correct me. The crews of the Lucchese McDonald Avenue were based in Gravesend, and the crew of the 19th hole in Dyker Heights?
Yes and yes.

Nurzhamba wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:56 am And also Utica Avenue and the crew of the 19th hole - one decina?
I’m not familiar with a Lucchese Utica Ave crew but I can tell you Utica Ave is not near Dyker Heights so I would say no to that question.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

johnny_scootch wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:22 pm
Nurzhamba wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:55 am Please correct me. The crews of the Lucchese McDonald Avenue were based in Gravesend, and the crew of the 19th hole in Dyker Heights?
Yes and yes.

Nurzhamba wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:56 am And also Utica Avenue and the crew of the 19th hole - one decina?
I’m not familiar with a Lucchese Utica Ave crew but I can tell you Utica Ave is not near Dyker Heights so I would say no to that question.
Yeah, Utica Ave makes me think of the DeMeo guys, if anything.
Nurzhamba
Straightened out

Post by Nurzhamba »

Thanks!