Historical Genovese Leadership Crews

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Historical Genovese Leadership Crews

Post by Antiliar »

B. wrote:
Antiliar wrote:
B. wrote:I've speculated that if Costello had a crew, it may have been taken over in part by Willie Moretti given their closeness and that Moretti was originally an NY-based member. Just blind speculation based on relationships, though, so I wonder if anyone might have other circumstantial info that supports that.
He was in Buffalo until shortly before he was established in New Jersey, so I would say no. There was another guy in New Jersey who was related by marriage (I believe) to Joe Masseria named Samuel Guarino who could have been something, but my guess is that he wasn't higher than a soldier.
Thanks for the info. I knew Moretti was in Buffalo at the time Joe Bonanno came to the US, but is it a myth then that Moretti grew up in East Harlem and associated with Costello?
No, that's accurate. He grew up in East Harlem then went to Buffalo. Although you didn't say it, it's a myth that he was Costello's cousin. He said he was a townsman of Frank Milano, who came from San Roberto. So he came from a different part of Calabria than Costello, who was from Lauropoli in Calabria. I recommend reading the Kefauver testimony in section 7. Moretti gives out a lot of information. Says he moved to NJ in 1928 or so. Said he met Jack Dragna when they lived in Harlem, so prior to 1915.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Antiliar wrote:
B. wrote:
Antiliar wrote:
B. wrote:I've speculated that if Costello had a crew, it may have been taken over in part by Willie Moretti given their closeness and that Moretti was originally an NY-based member. Just blind speculation based on relationships, though, so I wonder if anyone might have other circumstantial info that supports that.
He was in Buffalo until shortly before he was established in New Jersey, so I would say no. There was another guy in New Jersey who was related by marriage (I believe) to Joe Masseria named Samuel Guarino who could have been something, but my guess is that he wasn't higher than a soldier.
Thanks for the info. I knew Moretti was in Buffalo at the time Joe Bonanno came to the US, but is it a myth then that Moretti grew up in East Harlem and associated with Costello?
No, that's accurate. He grew up in East Harlem then went to Buffalo. Although you didn't say it, it's a myth that he was Costello's cousin. He said he was a townsman of Frank Milano, who came from San Roberto. So he came from a different part of Calabria than Costello, who was from Lauropoli in Calabria. I recommend reading the Kefauver testimony in section 7. Moretti gives out a lot of information. Says he moved to NJ in 1928 or so. Said he met Jack Dragna when they lived in Harlem, so prior to 1915.
And Dragna associated with the Corleonesi family, which would continue with his relationship to the Luccheses after he moved and the Morellos split up. Have to wonder if Moretti was associated with the Morellos as well before he left for Buffalo, which could be why he ended up back with them when he moved to NJ. Was Moretti definitely a made member in Buffalo? I can't remember if Joe Bonanno says what Moretti's status was or if he even knew at that point given he wasn't made yet himself. Does Moretti say what brought him to Buffalo or is that info around somewhere? Also, is that part of the Kefauver testimony online anywhere? Thanks.

If he was in Jersey in 1928 and a capo by the early 1930s, it makes me wonder even more where his crew came from. I made a post in the charts section asking about who may have been in his crew pre-1940s since most of the well-known members of his decina weren't made until the mid-40s.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Valachi stated in his book that Genovese had the support of 2 of the 6 family crews (1950's). If there's a counter argument to that I'm open to hearing it.

@Antillar... the early Morello man in Brooklyn was "Joe Fennelli" which might have been in reference to Joe Fanaro. I really don't know. There was another faction that was in downtown BK connected to Pecoraro and Ajello. That's plausible.

@B... I have really no opinion on who is the "real" descendant of the Corleonesi. Both families carry those traits. If we were to make an argument for/against. I guess...

ProLucchese argument:
1) La Sala, Reina, Di Palermo, Gagliano all went Lucchese
2) It was most likely "sanctioned" by D'Aquila/mafia politics.
3) It's territory was Bronx/Harlem.

ProGen argument:
1) Morello, Terranova others from Lower Manhattan all went Gen
2) Territory was Harlem/Manhattan/Brooklyn

However, had Morello, Masseria, Terranova been murdered in the 1920's, there might have never been a Genovese Family.

But moving forward: what crews were the dominant ones in the Luciano, Costello and Genovese eras?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

B. wrote:
Antiliar wrote:
B. wrote:
Antiliar wrote:
And Dragna associated with the Corleonesi family, which would continue with his relationship to the Luccheses after he moved and the Morellos split up. Have to wonder if Moretti was associated with the Morellos as well before he left for Buffalo, which could be why he ended up back with them when he moved to NJ. Was Moretti definitely a made member in Buffalo? I can't remember if Joe Bonanno says what Moretti's status was or if he even knew at that point given he wasn't made yet himself. Does Moretti say what brought him to Buffalo or is that info around somewhere? Also, is that part of the Kefauver testimony online anywhere? Thanks.

If he was in Jersey in 1928 and a capo by the early 1930s, it makes me wonder even more where his crew came from. I made a post in the charts section asking about who may have been in his crew pre-1940s since most of the well-known members of his decina weren't made until the mid-40s.
I have it in another FBI file that Moretti was respected in Buffalo before he came to New York. I think he was probably one of the guys who were part of the "combaneesh" who were brought in around 1923, according to Angelo DeCarlo recordings.

Here's where you can download the Kefauver hearings: https://archive.org/details/investigationofo07unit (this is for vol. 7 that includes Moretti's testimony)

Internet Archive has the full set for free download.
Chris Christie wrote:Valachi stated in his book that Genovese had the support of 2 of the 6 family crews (1950's). If there's a counter argument to that I'm open to hearing it.

@Antillar... the early Morello man in Brooklyn was "Joe Fennelli" which might have been in reference to Joe Fanaro. I really don't know. There was another faction that was in downtown BK connected to Pecoraro and Ajello. That's plausible.
Thanks for the reminder Chris
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

As far as Moretti, he's never been directly confirmed in official capacity. Joe Bonanno made him out to the second man under Costello and that upon his death Genovese's stature grew. The son in "Last Testament" took it a step further and labeled him acting streetboss or underboss.

Costello, (from my impression which may be wrong) appeared to be a hands off boss in that he wasn't readily concerned with what was going on inside the crews. That family, with the largest amount of members and the smallest number of crews (if that's correct), always lead me to believe that these crew leaders were almost mini-families with their own boss and de facto staff. Sandino was labeled by Valachi to have been Strollo's consig, (in the index it says Luciano Family consig).

-Alo
-Angelina
-Coppola
-Eboli
-Greco
-Boiardi
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I should note that Costello's official position may still be in question.
1) Valachi stated that Luciano had never given up his position and that Costello was acting.
2) Bonanno simply stated that leadership passed from Luciano to Costello to Genovese
3) Bill Bonanno was more explicit: Costello AB 1937-1946, Official 1946-1957
4) FBI agents who covered Genovese's return observed members, Costello included, giving him the utmost praise and respect which lead them to conclude for a time that he was the Top Man.

On Genovese's position, people conclude he was Underboss from 1931-1957, with Morelli serving as the interim while he was in Italy.
Last edited by Angelo Santino on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Chris Christie wrote:As far as Moretti, he's never been directly confirmed in official capacity. Joe Bonanno made him out to the second man under Costello and that upon his death Genovese's stature grew. The son in "Last Testament" took it a step further and labeled him acting streetboss or underboss.

I believe Valachi also had Moretti as the UnderBoss during Costello's reign.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I don't recall that, he spoke of his importance but officially labeling him as UB? Was it in the book or testimony?

Pogo, you created the Gen crew lineages, showing far more than 6, closer to 20. Is it possible most of them are factions of the original six? Even though those crews splintered it they might not have been completely separated in terms of association. What are your thoughts on that?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Chris Christie wrote:I don't recall that, he spoke of his importance but officially labeling him as UB? Was it in the book or testimony?

Scratch that. I thought he had said it in the book but I was mistaken.

Chris Christie wrote:Pogo, you created the Gen crew lineages, showing far more than 6, closer to 20. Is it possible most of them are factions of the original six? Even though those crews splintered it they might not have been completely separated in terms of association. What are your thoughts on that?

Yeah most of them broke away from the original 6. It looks like this occured during the 50s when the family swelled with new members.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

There might have been more than 6 crews. Perhaps Valachi was mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

So to update the earliest crews:

1) Frankie Yale, c1920-1928 (killed)
Anthony Carfano, 1928-1959 (killed)

2) ?Samuel Guarino, ?-c1931 (demoted, if he was a caporegime)
Willie Moretti, c1931-1951

3) ?Antonio Miranda, ?1923-c1928 (killed)
Michele Miranda, c1928-1957

4) ?Joe Adonis, c1928-1956 (may have split off from Frankie Yale; deported)
Joseph Alo

5) Lucky Luciano, c1923-1931 (became boss)
Thomas Greco

6) Rocco Pellegrino, c1923-1960s (died)

7) Vito Genovese, c1923-1931 (became underboss)
Tony Bender, 1931-1959 (killed)

8) Frank Costello, ?c1923-?1935 (became consigliere; could have succeeded Saverio Pollaccia in 1931 or there could have been someone in between who died)
? succeeded by unknown

9) Ciro Terranova, ?1916-c1931 (demoted)
Trigger Mike Coppola, c1931-1965

10) ?Salvatore Mauro, ?-1920 (killed)
?Dominick "Terry Burnes" Didato, ?-1936 (killed; both Mauro and Didato were from Baucina)
? succeeded by unknown

11) ?Francesco "Chee" Gusae/Gusage/whatever, ?-c1936/37 (became acting boss, died)
? succeeded by unknown

Maybe more
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote:So to update the earliest crews:

1) Frankie Yale, c1920-1928 (killed)
Anthony Carfano, 1928-1959 (killed)

2) ?Samuel Guarino, ?-c1931 (demoted, if he was a caporegime)
Willie Moretti, c1931-1951

3) ?Antonio Miranda, ?1923-c1928 (killed)
Michele Miranda, c1928-1957

4) ?Joe Adonis, c1928-1956 (may have split off from Frankie Yale; deported)
Joseph Alo

5) Lucky Luciano, c1923-1931 (became boss)
Thomas Greco

6) Rocco Pellegrino, c1923-1960s (died)

7) Vito Genovese, c1923-1931 (became underboss)
Tony Bender, 1931-1959 (killed)

8) Frank Costello, ?c1923-?1935 (became consigliere; could have succeeded Saverio Pollaccia in 1931 or there could have been someone in between who died)
? succeeded by unknown

9) Ciro Terranova, ?1916-c1931 (demoted)
Trigger Mike Coppola, c1931-1965

10) ?Salvatore Mauro, ?-1920 (killed)
?Dominick "Terry Burnes" Didato, ?-1936 (killed; both Mauro and Didato were from Baucina)
? succeeded by unknown

11) ?Francesco "Chee" Gusae/Gusage/whatever, ?-c1936/37 (became acting boss, died)
? succeeded by unknown

Maybe more
If I may play devil's advocate and try to argue that there were only 6 crews, is it possible that:

Yale, Luciano, Pelligrino, Genovese, Terranova are not up for debate. However, do we have sources that these other members such as Guarino, Mirando, Adonis, Costello and Mauro ever held "caporegime" positions? Each and every one of them have been described as influential. But can we truly rule out that Costello didn't go from soldier to consigliere (and that's even if you believe Bill Bonanno). Mauro was another influential member but nothing officially confirming it. Valachi identified 6 in his own family as "Genovese had the support of 2 of the 6 crews in our family" and given his close proximity to Genovese, could it be possible he got one right?

Here is a list of members who were active in the 30's-50's but at some point in their lifespan went onto become captains. This is compliments of limey, I really don't know thing one about 90% of these guys:

HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Another crew was headed by Tommy Licata. He died of cancer in 1952. Gus Frasca was made skipper of this crew when it was merged with a small Brooklyn crew. If Licata originally was a captain under Luciano or if he broke off from Tommy Greco (sometime prior to his death) is still something I´m trying to figure out. So already there, we´ve got more than six crews (with the ones Antiliar mentioned). Chris, do you know the page number in Valachi´s book saying that Genovese had support from two of the six crews? Although nothing confirms it, Generoso Delduca may have very well been a skipper already under Luciano. The same with Vincenzo Generoso, Tony Ricci and Sandino Pandolfo.

Overall, our knowledge on these guys and the crews they headed are extremely limited. And who´s to say there weren´t additional skippers under Luciano we´ve never heard of? The Genovese family was large, possibly 400-500 members. It makes no sense that there were, on average, ca 75 made members in one crew.
There you have it, never printed before.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

AG777 wrote:Was Moretti's brother made? Also, when did Tony Pro become part of a crew? I don't see his name and always thought he was a made guy and capo.
To my knowledge, it has never been confirmed that Sal Moretti was made. But I assume that he was, Tony Pro was probably made in the late 1950s but his crew affiliation is sketchy. It appears though (to me) that he may have been under Gene Catena or possibly direct with Gene´s brother Jerry early on. Later, he probably changed affiliation to be under Tony Carillo or Matty Ianniello (so I´ve read on the forums).
There you have it, never printed before.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

HairyKnuckles wrote:Chris, do you know the page number in Valachi´s book saying that Genovese had support from two of the six crews?

It is page 217.

HairyKnuckles wrote:
AG777 wrote:Was Moretti's brother made? Also, when did Tony Pro become part of a crew? I don't see his name and always thought he was a made guy and capo.
To my knowledge, it has never been confirmed that Sal Moretti was made. But I assume that he was.

Pretty sure he was. Valachi has him at a sit down with Genovese, Strollo, Albert Anastasia, Charlie Zangarra and some other made members. So he was most likely made himelf to be around all those guy's.

Pogo