Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

thekiduknow
Full Patched

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by thekiduknow »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:55 pm In that original chart, an asterix in front of a name indicates a suspected member. Santo Manfre falls into this cathegory. Although never been listed on official FBI charts, there are circumstances pointing at Manfre actually was a made member. An informant reported sometime in or around 1967 that Manfre would be made the new boss of the Bonanno Family.
Are you sure it was Manfre who was considered? Here is a FBI report that lists Santo Sorge as a potential new boss of the Bonanno family:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... lPageId=64

Or is there another report that lists Manfre as a potential new boss? Looked into him more and found he was living in California at the time of the split, so I'm not sure if he would be considered for a leadership role.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Yes, that has to be the report. So it was Santo Sorge and not Manfre. Sorry my bad. I think Santo Sorge belonged to another Family but was still potentially considered to take over which is interesting.
There you have it, never printed before.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

No worries.

There were a few rumors that the Bonanno family was going to be broken up during the split, or taken over by another family. Not clear if the informant knew that Sorge was part of another family, or if they thought that Sorge was a high ranking member of the Bonannos and was in line to take over.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

thekiduknow wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:45 pm By no means a final list, just wanted to post the names I have so far. Any additions corrections are welcome.

Adamo, Anthony
Adamo, Michael
Adamo, Peter
Alese, Pietro
Alfano, Nicolo
Allegato, Michael
Andaloro, Rosario "Russ"
Angelino, Michael "Mike Angelo"
Aquaro, John
Asaro, Giuseppe Sr
Asaro, Jerome "Jerry"
Asaro, Joseph Vincent "Josie"
Asaro, Vincenzo
Badalamenti, Antonio
Barranca, Stefano
Battaglia, Charles "Charlie Bats"
Bello, Antonio
Bivona, Carmelo
Bonanno, Joseph
Bonanno, Salvatore "Bill"
Bonomo, Frank
Bonventre, Giovanni
Bonventre, Martin
Bonventre, Pietro
Bonventre, Vito
Bruno, Salvatore
Bucaro, Andrew "Curly"
Buccellato, Giuseppe
Bucci, Romeo
Busciglio, Antonino "Nino"
Buttafuoco, Nicholas
Caccamise, Salvatore(Was he made at this time?)
Cacioppo, Antonio
Campanella, Mario(Was he made at this time?)
Cannone, Stefano
Capasso, Vincent "Jimmy Fort Lee"
Caradonna, Vito
Caruso, Angelo
Carlino, Liborio "Leo"
Castello, Nicholas
Cinquemani, Peter
Cocolicchio, Giuseppe “Big Pep”*
Colio, Nicola “Zio Cola”
Consolo, Michael
Cosenza, Michael
Cosoleto, Pasquale
Cotroni, Frank “Le Gros”
Cotroni, Giuseppe “Pep”
Cotroni, Vincenzo “Vic”
Crisci, Anthony
Crociata, Francesco*
Crociata, Pietro "Skinny Pete"
Curatolo, Antonio
D’Angelo, Anthony “Scotty”*
D'Angelo, Epifano "Frank/Fauney"
D'Angelo, Gaetano "Thomas/Smitty"
D'Angelo, Jerome "Jerry"
D'Aquanno, Giuseppe "Pino"(What year did he come over?)
Dara, WIlliam
Dasti, Frank
DeFilippo, Patrick(According to the Magaddino wire, he was apparently made in NY sometime before 1964)
DeFilippo, Vito
DeMarinis, Alfonse "Big Al"
DePasquale, Iganzio*
DePasquale, Natale*
DePasquale, Vincenzo*
DiBella, John
DiCocco, Paul "Legs"
DiFilippi, Joseph
DiGiovanna, Anthony "Tony DeJohn"
DiGregorio, Anthony*(Son of Gaspare, might have been made later)
DiGregorio, Armando*(Anyone know who this is?)
DiGregorio, Bartolomeo*
DiGregorio, Gaspare
DiGregorio, Matteo*(Brother of Gaspare, does anyone know if he was for sure made?)
DiIorio, Nicola “Cola
DiMaria, Joseph
DiStefano, Nicholas
Dolce, Frank(Anyone know who this is?)
Domingo, Antonio
Evola, Natale
Ferrugia, Salvatore
Fiordilino, Giovanni
Galante, Carmine "Lilo"
Gallo, Ciro
Garofalo, Frank
Garofalo, Vincenzo*(The one who was shot with Vincent Cassasse, I think a Genovese member, was not related to Frank Garofalo that I can find. Bill refers to them both as “our men”. Might have just been an associate)
Genovese, Joseph
Genna, Leonardo*
Giaccone, Philip "Phil Lucky"
Giardina, Elia “Leo”
Giarrusso, Sam
Giganti, Pasquale “Cha Cha”
Giglio, Salvatore
Greco, Luigi
Grimaldi, Giuseppe
Ippolito, Salvatore
LaBruzzo, Frank
Lanzo, Angelo*
Leone, Anthony
Licata, Pietro
Licata, Vito*(Referred to as a deceased member after he was killed, anyone have any more info?)
Licovelli, Vito
Lisi, Gaetano "Tony"
Lorenzo, Nicholas "Nicky Red"
Lucido, Anthony
Marangello, Nicholas "Nicky Glasses"
Manfre, Santo*
Marchese, Salvatore
Mari, Frank
Mastraccio, Diodato*
Mastricola, Joseph?
Messina, Anthony "Pat"
Messina, Frank*
Messina, Joseph
Mione, Gaspare
Mirabile, Salvatore "Toto"
Mistretta, Frank
Monte, Angelo*(Not sure when he was made)
Morale, John "Johnny Burns"
Morale, Rosario "Sally Burns"
Morsellino, Vincenzo
Mule, Felix*
Mule, Prospect(When did he transfer to San Jose?)
Mule, Vito
Musillo, Charles(Was he made at this time?)
Notaro, Joseph
Passalacqua, Peter
Petrone, Giovanni “John Petrone”
Pollastrino, Armando "Buddy"
Prisinzano, Angelo "Little Moe"
Prisinzano, Frank
Puma, Joseph
Raimondi, Anthony
Rastelli, Philip
Renda, Calogero
Restivo, Biaggio
Riela, Antonio
Rizzo, Giuseppe*
Rizzuto, Antonio
Rizzuto, Nicolo
Sabella, Domenico
Sabella, Dominick
Sabella, Michael
Saputo, Giuseppe
Salvo, Angelo
Scardino, Thomas
Sciacca, Joseph
Sciacca, Paul
Sciortino, Peter
Sciuto, Anthony
Signorelli, Vincenzo*(JD has him as “possibly Magaddino”)
Silinote, Giuseppe*
Silinote, Russell
Silionote, Steve
Simari, Carl "Buddy"
Sinacore, Frank
Sinacore, Joseph
Soccio, Vincenzo
Sorrentino, Salvatore
Spadaro, Antonio
Spadaro, Joseph
Sparaco, Anthony*
Tagliagambe, Mario
Tarantola, Vincent(?)
Tartamella, Francesco
Tartamella, John
Tartamella, Sereno "Bobby T"
Telleri, Frank*(Possibly an associate)
Titone, Joseph(Arizona member, may have been made later?)
Valvo, Benjamin
Valvo, Matteo
Vigneri, Anthony
Violi, Paolo.
Zaffarano, Michael
Zicarelli, Joseph "Bayonne Joe"
Zirpoli, Pasquale

177 names. Pretty close to the estimate of between 180-200.
Already have an edit. Forgot to add Leonardo Genna as a possible member, and forgot to remove Salvatore Grippi as he died in 1961. Still 175 names.

Second edit, forgot to add Liborio "Leo" Carlino and Antonio Curatolo. 177 names now.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JD had Matteo DiGregorio as a confirmed member but the other ones just as possible/suspected. I'd include him as made.

I think the unconfirmed Montreal members should have asterisks. A number of them were close to the Cotronis but I don't think that confirms they formally belonged. We don't really know what the selection process was like for bringing people in there.

Pretty sure Vincent Tarantola was the father of Bill Bonanno's friend Anthony Tarantola who he says in his book came from their "tradition". Anthony wasn't a member but the implication is his older relatives were. They were from Camporeale and Bill went to Sicily with him. Don't know if Vincent's name has shown up elsewhere.

Great job with all this.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

I’ll add Matteo as confirmed.

Montreal and Arizona are gonna be tricky for sure, especially trying to nail down who was member specifically in 1963 but I think we can do it.

I think the only reference to Tarantola is Bill in his book, who says he was a captain. I forgot to remove the ? as I think it’s likely he was at least made.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Nice to see a comprehensive list like that. However, there are a lot of question marks with some of the names. For best accuracy, my suggestion would be that you guys use the actual FBI lists and add names on the chart that has later been confirmed as made and remove names that has later been confirmed not made. And use asterix for names that you suspect of being made. One such list is the one from early 1977 that also has a list on deceased members. PM me and I´ll send it to you via email.

- Bill Feather has an Armando DiGregorio (1889-1965) on his list of made Bonannos. It says on there that he was a brother of the DiGregorios.

- Frank Dolce is most likely the brother of Ralph and son of Peter, all three members of the the Genovese Family. So he is misplaced.

- Musillo was most likely made later in the 1970s but I can not say for sure.

- Giuseppe Rizzo is Giuseppe Pizzo.

- The Silinotes were listed on very early FBI lists but not listed later on by FBI which suggests that they were not made, at least not with the Bonannos.

- Anthony Sparaco must be Angelo Sparaco?

- Very unlikely Titone was made. He was thrown into the mix by FBI later in the 1970s when they were investigating Bonanno and a letter he received from Titone found in the trash. Bonanno says Titone was not "in my world", or something to that effect in his book. No reason for Bonanno to lie about that in my opinion.

I have to ask...who is Peter Adamo, Angelo Lanzo and Diodato Mastraccio?
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:30 am I have to ask...who is Peter Adamo, Angelo Lanzo and Diodato Mastraccio?
They are old timers from Montreal, I mentioned them in my list of members or possible members of the decina in 1963 viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8787

Adamo, Soccio, Mastraccio, Cocolicchio are among the oldest close-mans of Vic & Pep Cotroni and were already working with Galante in 1953, like Greco. Giglio was also married to Peter Adamo's sister.

Lanzo was Di Iorio's right-arm man, and Di Iorio worked for the guys mentioned above (Di Iorio will also be considered number 3 in the Monreal mafia in the 70s behind Vic & Violi).

Just to clarify, Sorrentino, Colio & Bucci are also old timers close to Vic since the 50s (a little more info on Colio or here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7429), So the names I submitted are I think the most logical and some will be confirmed in the LCNbios list that Chris charted a few years ago. But I'm open to all suggestions

But compared to the list I submitted on page 1, it is possible that Lanzo & Dasti and possibly Di Iorio were made a little after 1963, unfortunately, as we are talking about Montreal I can't swear when they were. Maybe they are among the members inducted by J Bonanno without the agreement of the Commission. The only guy I put that I would be Chris I wouldn't include is Giuseppe Saputo, because even though he was very connected, he was a legit guy

B, did a thread on this some years ago (sorry I lost the link) but there is a list of Canadian mobsters give by the RCMP to the feds. Obiviously they're not all mafia guys but some of the names such as Coco, Adamo or Soccio are there https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... ic_cotroni
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Aah, I see. Thanks.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

My pleasure HK, but like I said if you have remarks or observations be my guest guys :)
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:30 am - Bill Feather has an Armando DiGregorio (1889-1965) on his list of made Bonannos. It says on there that he was a brother of the DiGregorios.
Looked into him and couldn't find a brother named Armando. Might be a cousin, but I'd have to look again.
HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:30 am - Musillo was most likely made later in the 1970s but I can not say for sure.
Yeah, him and Caccamise I'm not sure about. Pulled the names from the earlier 1963 chart. Musillo was called before a grand jury during the split, so he seems to be involved, but that doesn't mean he was made.
HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:30 am - Giuseppe Rizzo is Giuseppe Pizzo.
You mentioned earlier that Pizzo was ID'd by Valachi right? I looked at the chart and it listed a George Rizzo, who is also on some of the early 1960s lists.
HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:30 am - Very unlikely Titone was made. He was thrown into the mix by FBI later in the 1970s when they were investigating Bonanno and a letter he received from Titone found in the trash. Bonanno says Titone was not "in my world", or something to that effect in his book. No reason for Bonanno to lie about that in my opinion.
Thanks for the lead on Titone. Looks like the FBI found a reminder note that Bonanno had written to pay Titone for a cutting board. He doesn't explicitly say that Titone wasn't in his "world", but both Joe and Bill use it in their book and say he was just a carpenter. Like Musillo, Titone was pulled into a grand jury investigating Bonanno in 1969, but that doesn't indicate he was made. Interestingly enough, but not proof by any means, TItone did live on Bushwick Ave before moving to Tucson, and was from Trapani. Titone does show up on those 80s Senate lists, but I think you've already pointed out they're not always accurate(like we saw with Lapi)

I deleted Dolce from the list, and changed Anthony to Angelo Sparaco, thanks.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

thekiduknow wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:52 am
HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:30 am - Giuseppe Rizzo is Giuseppe Pizzo.
You mentioned earlier that Pizzo was ID'd by Valachi right? I looked at the chart and it listed a George Rizzo, who is also on some of the early 1960s lists.

This is what happens when you´re starting to get old. Memory fails...

Yes, George Rizzo is the one listed on the Valachi charts. Rizzo was not a Bonanno member but later confirmed being a Genovese member, under Gus Frasca.
Giuseppe Pizzo later listed as a Bonanno member on the Bonanno chart from the Senate report "25 years after Valachi". That I´m positively sure about. Pizzo was born in 1927 but have no clue if he was made pre 1963.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:49 am

This is what happens when you´re starting to get old. Memory fails...

Yes, George Rizzo is the one listed on the Valachi charts. Rizzo was not a Bonanno member but later confirmed being a Genovese member, under Gus Frasca.
Giuseppe Pizzo later listed as a Bonanno member on the Bonanno chart from the Senate report "25 years after Valachi". That I´m positively sure about. Pizzo was born in 1927 but have no clue if he was made pre 1963.
Gotcha, I'll delete Rizzo. I looked into Pizzo a little bit. Like you said they have born in 8/23/1927, and living in Chino Hills California by 1988. Can't seem to find a good record of him though. Wouldn't surprise me if they got the wrong DOB.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:30 am - Very unlikely Titone was made. He was thrown into the mix by FBI later in the 1970s when they were investigating Bonanno and a letter he received from Titone found in the trash. Bonanno says Titone was not "in my world", or something to that effect in his book. No reason for Bonanno to lie about that in my opinion.
Thanks for the lead on Titone. Looks like the FBI found a reminder note that Bonanno had written to pay Titone for a cutting board. He doesn't explicitly say that Titone wasn't in his "world", but both Joe and Bill use it in their book and say he was just a carpenter. Like Musillo, Titone was pulled into a grand jury investigating Bonanno in 1969, but that doesn't indicate he was made. Interestingly enough, but not proof by any means, TItone did live on Bushwick Ave before moving to Tucson, and was from Trapani. Titone does show up on those 80s Senate lists, but I think you've already pointed out they're not always accurate(like we saw with Lapi)

Found this. Like I said above, Titone was a carpenter so it sounds like him. It does appear he had deeper connections to Bonanno. Not sure what the union was the source claimed was "outfit controlled", but the fact that he was told to "get in contact with Bonanno" is interesting.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Reached out to my compaesan James Buccellato and I'm trying to get him to join. I sent you guys an introduction-ary text and we should try and do a conference call together. He, unlike myself, has the bloodlines.