General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Snakes »

Snakes wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:03 pm
Antiliar wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:38 pm More info: The Cicero crew used to meet at the Big Top restaurant at the corner of Roosevelt and Austin (6001 W Roosevelt). Jimmy Marcello, Jimmy I, and Johnny Apes used to meet there. It was owned by George Kokenes, who lost money on it. Johnny Apes's son lived upstairs without paying rent. The pawn shop The Gold Exchange is next door. He said that he doesn't think Jerry Scalise is made, so my previous info is probably wrong. A lot of Outfit guys and their families work at Maranos, including Louie Marino before he died. The Cicero guys now meet in a restaurant in the suburbs every Sunday. A guy named TJ Lynch does heavy work for Cicero.
This must have been a very small frame of time if Marcello, Inendino, and Monteleone were all meeting together. 1991 (when Inendino was released from prison) to late 1992 (Marcello indicted) was the only period of time after 1978 where all three were alive and on the streets.
This also makes me wonder if Inendino was really the Cicero boss instead of Spano. Does he have anything to say about Spano, Sr? I know it was rumored he was retired.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I think he meant it was a meeting place for years and those guys would meet there when they were around. Probably other guys too over the years. Just a general meeting place for the Cicero (Ferriola-Infelice-Spano crew) people. Marcello was in a different crew, so he probably was there very infrequently.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:18 pm I think he meant it was a meeting place for years and those guys would meet there when they were around. Probably other guys too over the years. Just a general meeting place for the Cicero (Ferriola-Infelice-Spano crew) people. Marcello was in a different crew, so he probably was there very infrequently.
Makes sense
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:38 pm More info: The Cicero crew used to meet at the Big Top restaurant at the corner of Roosevelt and Austin (6001 W Roosevelt). Jimmy Marcello, Jimmy I, and Johnny Apes used to meet there. It was owned by George Kokenes, who lost money on it. Johnny Apes's son lived upstairs without paying rent. The pawn shop The Gold Exchange is next door. He said that he doesn't think Jerry Scalise is made, so my previous info is probably wrong. A lot of Outfit guys and their families work at Maranos, including Louie Marino before he died. The Cicero guys now meet in a restaurant in the suburbs every Sunday. A guy named TJ Lynch does heavy work for Cicero.
A bit embarrassed to say I was able to find the Lynch guy on FB. Weird world, but the guy fits the bill
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Given that this source seems to have some pretty legit information, I’ll throw a few questions out there for him if you get a chance @antiliar. No pressure of course

Is he aware of Albie Vena and what his status in the outfit may be?

Is he aware of how many independent crews are left? Some say as few as two, some say still four.

Being someone knowledgeable on cicero, does he have any thoughts or information on the zizzo hit?
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Coloboy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:26 pm Given that this source seems to have some pretty legit information, I’ll throw a few questions out there for him if you get a chance @antiliar. No pressure of course

Is he aware of Albie Vena and what his status in the outfit may be?

Is he aware of how many independent crews are left? Some say as few as two, some say still four.

Being someone knowledgeable on cicero, does he have any thoughts or information on the zizzo hit?
Not to answer for Ant, but he related this guy says Vena runs Grand Avenue. He seemed to only know of two crews, GA and Cicero. He said Solly D has some guys in EP, but they don't have a crew.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

We talked about this already. The only other crew he mentioned was Grand Avenue. He doesn't know anything about it except for the names of a few guys who we already know about that belong to it. He spoke about an Elmwood Park crew, but it's not the same old DiFronzo-Cerone crew. It's three guys who report to Solly D. He doesn't have inside information on the Zizzo killing except the place they were supposed to meet at. It's funny that you ask because I asked him about Zizzo this morning.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Coloboy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:21 pm
A bit embarrassed to say I was able to find the Lynch guy on FB. Weird world, but the guy fits the bill
Solly D and the Lobue brothers are on Facebook too. Practically the whole Outfit is on Facebook! 😂
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

The Bigtop in Cicero was a one story diner if I am not mistaken. There is a video gaming parlor also on Roosevelt called The Big Top that is a total shit hole and very Cicero if anyone has actually spent time there. I would actually think it was the video gaming parlor because that used to be a bar - I think the Big Top Diner is where guys like Aiuppa were meeting back in the day that is in FBI transcripts.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

SolarSolano wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:06 pm The Bigtop in Cicero was a one story diner if I am not mistaken. There is a video gaming parlor also on Roosevelt called The Big Top that is a total shit hole and very Cicero if anyone has actually spent time there. I would actually think it was the video gaming parlor because that used to be a bar - I think the Big Top Diner is where guys like Aiuppa were meeting back in the day that is in FBI transcripts.
The one on Roosevelt is the one Antilar is referencing and yeah, it looks like a dump lol
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:52 pm
SolarSolano wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:06 pm The Bigtop in Cicero was a one story diner if I am not mistaken. There is a video gaming parlor also on Roosevelt called The Big Top that is a total shit hole and very Cicero if anyone has actually spent time there. I would actually think it was the video gaming parlor because that used to be a bar - I think the Big Top Diner is where guys like Aiuppa were meeting back in the day that is in FBI transcripts.
The one on Roosevelt is the one Antilar is referencing and yeah, it looks like a dump lol
Not my part of town, so I don't have any direct knowledge. But from what I know the Big Top restaurant on Roosevelt and Austin ("the Island") was a Greek-owned diner that was notorious as a mob hangout for decades. At some point, the restaurant burned down (perhaps related to Kokenes owing money?), and a new restaurant was opened on the other side of the intersection called the "New Top". I believe that where the trashy Big Top "video gaming" establishment is today is where the "New Top" was opened, as I think the original Big Top was across the street (correct me if I'm wrong), where the bank parking lot is now.

George Kokenes I believe died in 1987. Not sure if he was directly related to Nick and Pete Kokenes (the latter of whom killed a bookie or something in 1960), who supposedly were cousins of the Alex brothers.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:01 pm
Solly D and the Lobue brothers are on Facebook too. Practically the whole Outfit is on Facebook! 😂
Yes, as well as some of their zip affiliates who are now back in Calabria and Sicily but with tons of Chicago people with connected names in their FB friends.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:22 pm
Yes, as well as some of their zip affiliates who are now back in Calabria and Sicily but with tons of Chicago people with connected names in their FB friends.
In Solly D's case, I've shown it to people who don't really have any mob interest, saying that this guy is "allegedly a top guy in the Chicago mob." Their responses are unanimously "he just looks like an old grandpa hanging out with his family," which I guess is the whole point of having the page.
Last edited by Snakes on Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Snakes wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:42 pm
In Solly D's case, I've shown it to people who don't really have any mob interest, saying that this guy is "allegedly a top guy in the Chicago mob." There responses are unanimously "he just looks like an old grandpa hanging out with his family," which I guess is the whole point of having the page.
Exactly. Plus the carpet cleaning biz, the restaurants he’s always promoting, I’ve always thought it was all a front to appear legitimate.

And I agree with everyone that thinks he would be nuts for continuing the mob life into his 80’s. However, besides it just being in his blood, I have to think there’s a part of you that after spending so much time in prison just wants to get what’s coming to you in terms of money and respect.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Coloboy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:44 pm
Snakes wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:42 pm
In Solly D's case, I've shown it to people who don't really have any mob interest, saying that this guy is "allegedly a top guy in the Chicago mob." There responses are unanimously "he just looks like an old grandpa hanging out with his family," which I guess is the whole point of having the page.
Exactly. Plus the carpet cleaning biz, the restaurants he’s always promoting, I’ve always thought it was all a front to appear legitimate.

And I agree with everyone that thinks he would be nuts for continuing the mob life into his 80’s. However, besides it just being in his blood, I have to think there’s a part of you that after spending so much time in prison just wants to get what’s coming to you in terms of money and respect.
Fosco has claimed that Willie Messino was bitter that DiFronzo was letting something he had dedicated his life to fall apart. Just because DiFronzo seemed content to let the thing whither away does not mean that these other old timers felt or feel the same way. Solly gave years of his life in prison to the Outfit. While he doesn’t “need” the envelopes, he won’t sneeze at any money coming his way. But I imagine it’s more than that. If this source is right that Solly has young made guys stationed in EP direct with him, keeping the thing going must have some significant personal value for him. The Outfit is a powerful identity for these guys, and to spend his twilight years on top of the same family once headed by Capone, Ricca, etc., I imagine gives a guy like this tremendous satisfaction. To an outsider it may seem like nothing but symbolism, but people live, kill, and die for symbols. As already noted, the Life is in Solly’s blood, going back at least to his grandfather.