How Vic Amuso became the boss according to Vincent “Fish” Cafaro

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: How Vic Amuso became the boss according to Vincent “Fish” Cafaro

Post by Extortion »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:57 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:17 pm Im not sure if this is true but the way I always understood what happened to Buddy Luongo was that Buddy was angling to take control of the family supported by Tom Mix but something happened between Tom and Tony Ducks and so Tony had Vic kill Buddy.
This is the best explanation Ive read in 20 years no the forums.

Here's why.
Chin went to the 9's to kill Gotti for killing a boss. Why didnt he hit Casso/Amuso for the Luongo hit, IF Luongo was boss.
Because he wasnt as it turns out.
If Buddy was Toms man, and Vic/Gas Tony's, then if it came from Tony, thats the way it was.

Thanks JS. You may have just put one of the biggest LCN 'conundrums', to bed.

Salut and Merry Xmas mate.
The Chin had a close relationship with Castellano and business interests with him. It doesn’t appear the Chin was close with Luongo. Could this be relevant?
“In Italian, La Cosa Nostra is also known as ‘our headache.’” -Jerry Anguilo
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

sounds like christy tic has tony ducks ear. tony ducks orders luongo hit for whatever infraction and amuso wins the seat
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

amuso is hands on killong guys who killed castellano on orders of the commission in early 86. hes not gonna kill his acting boss unless it came from tony ducks
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:39 pm
Rocco wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:04 am
Shellackhead wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:12 am
Little_Al1991 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:54 am
Shellackhead wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:02 am No point in those veteran mobsters like
Furnari & Coco in advising Amuso because he was controlled by Casso. Casso said jump & Vic asked how high.
I don’t believe he was totally controlled by Casso but it’s clear that Casso did influence him
You know what I think? After Buddy got clipped I think Casso had all the attention & acumen to lead the family but he instead gave it to Vic. Vic knew that Casso had more weight street smarts & respect than he did so that’s why he listened to Casso so much. There’s no way that all those guys that Casso clipped were informants. Those guys have been around for decades & were huge earners. Or maybe the information he was getting from the Mafia Cops was legit?
I remember Ricciardi talking about when Buddy got murdered everyone in NJ and the Bronx was really shook up about it. NJ faction has always been closer to the Bronx faction traditionally until recently. So when it happened not to many people in the NJ faction even really knew Casso or Amuso well or at all. It basically turned the everything upside down.
Clearly there was resentment within the Bronx Faction against Vic and Gas but this resentment is what led to the death of Michael Salerno, a well respected Bronx member.
I think it still exists in the Bronx and NJ with what is left of the Older generation. NJ has always been closer to the Bronx faction
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Extortion wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:02 am The Chin had a close relationship with Castellano and business interests with him. It doesn’t appear the Chin was close with Luongo. Could this be relevant?
I dont think its irrelevant, the same as Chin having motivation to install 'his' own guys at the top post Gotti but IF Luongo was boss, Chin wouldve had to act. It just cannot make sense that Paul gets clipped in 85 and Chin goes balls to the wall trying to clip Gotti and Luongo gets clipped in 86 and Chin goes 'who gives fuck'. The inconsistency to his own soldiers wouldve been too glaring.
Also keep in mind a hit from below is the most dangerous thing to a boss. Chins motivation to send a strong message that clipping a boss is intolerable was huge. Remember the Philly sitaution too.
Both Philly and Gotti Chin went wild trying to clip people. Its a nonsense that he'd ignore Luongo.
Ducks gave the word.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:41 am
Extortion wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:02 am The Chin had a close relationship with Castellano and business interests with him. It doesn’t appear the Chin was close with Luongo. Could this be relevant?
I dont think its irrelevant, the same as Chin having motivation to install 'his' own guys at the top post Gotti but IF Luongo was boss, Chin wouldve had to act. It just cannot make sense that Paul gets clipped in 85 and Chin goes balls to the wall trying to clip Gotti and Luongo gets clipped in 86 and Chin goes 'who gives fuck'. The inconsistency to his own soldiers wouldve been too glaring.
Also keep in mind a hit from below is the most dangerous thing to a boss. Chins motivation to send a strong message that clipping a boss is intolerable was huge. Remember the Philly sitaution too.
Both Philly and Gotti Chin went wild trying to clip people. Its a nonsense that he'd ignore Luongo.
Ducks gave the word.
Yeah. Or Amuso and Gas setup up Luongo to get hit and feigned something to Corallo. Weird that we still don’t have an exact motive for this whack.
“In Italian, La Cosa Nostra is also known as ‘our headache.’” -Jerry Anguilo
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Rocco wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:26 am
Shellackhead wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:02 am No point in those veteran mobsters like
Furnari & Coco in advising Amuso because he was controlled by Casso. Casso said jump & Vic asked how high.
I don’t believe he was totally controlled by Casso but it’s clear that Casso did influence him
You know what I think? After Buddy got clipped I think Casso had all the attention & acumen to lead the family but he instead gave it to Vic. Vic knew that Casso had more weight street smarts & respect than he did so that’s why he listened to Casso so much. There’s no way that all those guys that Casso clipped were informants. Those guys have been around for decades & were huge earners. Or maybe the information he was getting from the Mafia Cops was legit?
I remember Ricciardi talking about when Buddy got murdered everyone in NJ and the Bronx was really shook up about it. NJ faction has always been closer to the Bronx faction traditionally until recently. So when it happened not to many people in the NJ faction even really knew Casso or Amuso well or at all. It basically turned the everything upside down.
Clearly there was resentment within the Bronx Faction against Vic and Gas but this resentment is what led to the death of Michael Salerno, a well respected Bronx member.
I think it still exists in the Bronx and NJ with what is left of the Older generation. NJ has always been closer to the Bronx faction
George “Georgie Neck” Zappola who was formerly very close with Gaspipe is the current NJ Capo.He is now a Vic Amuso loyalist.Jersey is now closer to the Brooklyn guys such as DeSantis.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:59 pm
Rocco wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:26 am
George “Georgie Neck” Zappola who was formerly very close with Gaspipe is the current NJ Capo.He is now a Vic Amuso loyalist.Jersey is now closer to the Brooklyn guys such as DeSantis.
You've take that out of context. In the " past" NJ was always closer to the Bronx guys. DiNapoli Maddona. Also Taccetta's have relatives in the Bronx that are Lucchese associates. Maybe now that is a different story ..Zappola is their capo they are close etc. As for DeSantis. He was one of scores of Brooklyn guys that were ordered to "whack Jersey" on orders from Casso/Amuso in the late 80s.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

Didn't Amuso and Casso try to kill Gotti at the Chin's request? as I think that they used a car bomb to throw suspicion away from them but killed Frank Decicco by mistake.
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

davidf1989 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:04 pm Didn't Amuso and Casso try to kill Gotti at the Chin's request? as I think that they used a car bomb to throw suspicion away from them but killed Frank Decicco by mistake.
Yes that’s correct.Genovese Family associate Herbert Pate was there, along with Robert “Bobby” Amuso who is Vic’s brother.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:25 am
davidf1989 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:04 pm Didn't Amuso and Casso try to kill Gotti at the Chin's request? as I think that they used a car bomb to throw suspicion away from them but killed Frank Decicco by mistake.
Yes that’s correct.Genovese Family associate Herbert Pate was there, along with Robert “Bobby” Amuso who is Vic’s brother.
Thanks for your recent response and was Bobby Amuso a made guy?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

davidf1989 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:29 am Thanks for your recent response and was Bobby Amuso a made guy?
I’m not positive of his rank at the time of the DeCiccco bombing but eventually he rose as high as Captain.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Luca wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:56 pm There has to be more to this story. My personal opinion, I don’t think Tony ducks or any of the old timers wanted these guys at the top. I think they strong-armed their way to the top and none of the other crews had the muscle or the desire to fight them for it. They were burglars and drug dealers. Why would any of the family elders want them running things? Vic and gas were just the most vicious. Also, were they really as big of earners as everyone says? There were allot of millionaires in this crime family, were they really bringing in as much money as Casso claims? Who knows….it is interesting though.
Ding Ding. Correct. Tony Ducks appointed and choose Buddy. Amuso a known Heroin dealer stole the family from Tonys Guy Buddy breaking LCN rules just like Gotti did. Maybe seeing Gotti still walking around in 86' gave Amuso some juice to pull it off. Either way..once Ducks found out Buddy was missing and he was presented with Amuso and Casso with the backing of Chrissy Tick. There wasn't a lot that Ducks could do from prison and it was presented to him like he didn't really have a choice in the matter. According to Tommy Ricciardi(the Jersey crew was always really close with the Bronx faction and not so much the Brooklyn guys) Guys in the Bronx and Jersey were really busted up about Buddy because everyone loved the guy and was looking forward to him as Boss. Guys were pretty shell shocked because Buddy was murdered without Commission approval. They didn't know what was gonna happen next. After Buddy went missing..guys started getting clipped.
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

davidf1989 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:29 am
Little_Al1991 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:25 am
Thanks for your recent response and was Bobby Amuso a made guy?
Bobby was a Made Man.He allegedly was the one who clipped Buddy Luongo.He was there when DeCicco was hit.Bobby also became a Capo in Canarsie and somehow managed to stay free from federal prison while his brother was the boss.I read that he passed away in 2004.Very low key guy.He also was collecting money for his brother Vic when Vic was on the run.Casso plotted to kill him with Frank Lastorino and this led to Lastorino being shelved.
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Rocco wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:42 am
Luca wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:56 pm There has to be more to this story. My personal opinion, I don’t think Tony ducks or any of the old timers wanted these guys at the top. I think they strong-armed their way to the top and none of the other crews had the muscle or the desire to fight them for it. They were burglars and drug dealers. Why would any of the family elders want them running things? Vic and gas were just the most vicious. Also, were they really as big of earners as everyone says? There were allot of millionaires in this crime family, were they really bringing in as much money as Casso claims? Who knows….it is interesting though.
Ding Ding. Correct. Tony Ducks appointed and choose Buddy. Amuso a known Heroin dealer stole the family from Tonys Guy Buddy breaking LCN rules just like Gotti did. Maybe seeing Gotti still walking around in 86' gave Amuso some juice to pull it off. Either way..once Ducks found out Buddy was missing and he was presented with Amuso and Casso with the backing of Chrissy Tick. There wasn't a lot that Ducks could do from prison and it was presented to him like he didn't really have a choice in the matter. According to Tommy Ricciardi(the Jersey crew was always really close with the Bronx faction and not so much the Brooklyn guys) Guys in the Bronx and Jersey were really busted up about Buddy because everyone loved the guy and was looking forward to him as Boss. Guys were pretty shell shocked because Buddy was murdered without Commission approval. They didn't know what was gonna happen next. After Buddy went missing..guys started getting clipped.
Furnari had Corallo’s ear and was most likely telling him to consider his two protégés for the boss position, Vic Amuso and Anthony “Gaspipe” Casso.Regardless of whether Buddy was hit with approval or not, I believe Furnari played a huge part in Amuso becoming the boss.Casso claims that Corallo ordered it but Casso is not reliable.Casso also goes on to claim that he was offered the boss position but turned it down.It’s difficult to believe a lot of what Casso says, so i doubt this to.If Buddy was hit without approval then I wonder why the Bronx Faction didn’t hit back because they were at the time a lot bigger than the Brooklyn Faction and more powerful