Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Post by Angelo Santino »

And these are the guys I can't place anywhere else, they'll go in a misc section-

Pietro ANGELO 1915? NYC
Albert BRUNO deceased by 1969 x
Joseph BRUNO deceased by 1969 x
Anthony COCACCO (name possibly misspelled) x x x
Louis D´Agostino 11/3/1908
Joseph FERRIGNO x
Anthony GAGLIARDI 4/2/1919?
David Robert Iacovetti Davey Crockett 7/21/1917 NYC (Only have an Altoona, PA address)
Frank Insernia 7/11/1915
Joseph MARCHESE deade by 76 x
Accursio George Marinelli Gus 2/1/1911 Accursio is a Agrigentese name but I cant locate his records
Filippo PAPPA) 1891-1969 x
Joseph POMPANELLO (name possibly misspelled) x
Anthony ROMANO deceased by 1969 x
Gaspare Romano deceased by mid 1980s x
John Sciascia 8/11/1903 NYC
Pietro Sorci 7/23/1911 Palermo
Vincent SPERINO (deceased by 1969)
Salvatore Turone Sam
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Joe Scalise?
Joe Stassi? - Jake?
Arthur Tortorella?
gam.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

John Sciascia - Racalmuto, Agrigento. His naturalization has his birthday as 8/12/1903. Don't know where he lived by the 1960s but earlier was living near the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn.

Joe Scalise was Frank Scalise's brother.

Joe Stassi lived in Elizabeth, NJ, and was close to the DeCavalcantes. Born in NYC, parents Giuseppe and Anna. Father from Montemaggiore Belsito, Palermo.

Accursio Marinelli's family was from Sciacca and he lived in Brooklyn. Will let you know if I find more detail.

Don't know if I saw him on your list, but an obscure Gambino member is Andrew "Andy Boston" Parrillo. On wiretap saying his family came from island of Capri.

Another confirmed Baltimore member to add is Giuseppe Tamburello. Native of Bisacquino.

Full list of members/suspected members in Baltimore:

Mario Anello
Charles Barbera
Louis Comi
Vincent "Jimmy Russo" Coronna (Bisacquino)
Frank Corbi
Joseph Corbi
Pasquale "Patsy" Corbi (died 1955)
Joseph Gigliotti (former Pittsburgh)
Gaetano LaFata (died 1965, from Palermo))
Benjamin "Benny Trotta" Magliano
Frank Malvaso
Anthony Messina (killed 1952, Vincenzo Mangano's cousin. Palermo)
Luigi "Don Luigi" Morici (Palermo)
Angelo Perrera
Giacomo "Jimmy" Romano
Joseph Tamburello (Bisacquino)
Salvatore "Big Sam" Zannino (killed 1952)

Malvaso the last member made before the books closed according to informant. Informant said there were 11 made members of the Baltimore crew as of late 1960s.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

The Spitaleris were father and son.

The other Stassi, the one you don't have on your list, has been identified as a Genovese member.

When it comes to the Baltimore crew, the ones you already have on your list, are the ones who have been cornfirmed made members by the FBI later on.

Arthur Tortorella was later confirmed not made.

Joseph Ferrigno, wasnt he the brother of Steve, the guy who was murdered alongside Mineo?
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The Stassi brothers get ID'd with both the Gambino and Genovese Families never seen a definitive source clear it up.

Stefano Ferrigno's brother was the Colombo member Bartolo Ferrigno. Never heard of Joseph.

-

For those still on the list:

Pietro Sorci - From Palermo, son of Francesco and Maria Levantino, brother of infamous Palermo mafioso Antonino Sorci. Might have been in Italy at this time.

David Iacovetti - Father Fred and mother Emily. Looks like they are from the mainland but can't confirm 100%. Lived or spent time in Queens, New Jersey, Altoona PA, Virginia, Baltimore, and Connecticut at different times.

Louis D'Agostino - Birth name Luigi and born in NYC, father Giuseppe and mother Rosa Gianlombardo. Not sure where they're from.

There's a Filippo Pappa born 1891 from Minturno but don't know if it's him.

Sam Turone (died ~1984) could be Salvatore Tirone (b. 1918) who died in December 1983 in Brooklyn. Another Salvatore Tirone (b. 1906) was from Racalmuto. He was a Traina crew member so probably Sicilian and Brooklyn would fit, so 1918 guy could be him.

Not sure on Vincent Sperino but looks like the Sperino name is overwhelmingly from Naples.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Oof, alot of stuff to go through. Thanks guys.

Might need to add these Baltimore names with asterisks.

Also, any help with photos would be valued if anyone can assist there. Cheech is doing the 80s and I dont want to inundate hi although he is more active on IG which contains alot of photos.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Confirmed Members:

Vincent "Jimmy Russo" Caronna - b. 1904 in Bisacquino, father Giuseppe and mother Genevieve Occhipinti. 2900 Smith Ave Baltimore MD

Frank Corbi (capodecina) - On your list.

Joseph Corbi - b. 1911. Brother of Frank so other details match. 2457 Annapolis Road Baltimore MD was parents' address in 1940 where he lived, not sure later.

Gaetano LaFata - b 1898 in Carini, Palermo, died 1965. Father Vincenzo and mother ??? (poss Margherita). 2928 Edgecombe Circle Baltimore MD. Source said he was a "member of the organization".

Frank Malvaso - Born 1901? Seems to be a mainland name. Source said he was the last one made in the 1950s

Luigi "Don Luigi" Morici (former capodecina) - b. 1896 in Palermo, father Serafino and mother Mattea Grasso. 5638 Clearspring Road Baltimore MD

Joseph Tamburello from Bisacquino, says he came to the US in 1920. 100 South High Street Baltimore MD. Not sure his age / parents, former resident of Youngstown where his brother Nick was a Cosa Nostra figure.

* LaFata and Malvaso were ID'd by a non-member informant but there is good indication they were members. Up to you whether to include those two, but the other guys are 100% confirmed by member informants or wiretaps admitting membership.

Suspected Members:

Mario Anello
Charles Barbera
Louis Comi
Angelo Perrera
Giacomo "Jimmy" Romano
+ Others

Maybe just include a note that there were allegedly 11 total members late in the 1960s instead of including info on all the suspecteds.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:53 pm John Sciascia - Racalmuto, Agrigento. His naturalization has his birthday as 8/12/1903. Don't know where he lived by the 1960s but earlier was living near the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn.

Joe Scalise was Frank Scalise's brother. Made?

Joe Stassi lived in Elizabeth, NJ, and was close to the DeCavalcantes. Born in NYC, parents Giuseppe and Anna. Father from Montemaggiore Belsito, Palermo.

Accursio Marinelli's family was from Sciacca and he lived in Brooklyn. Will let you know if I find more detail.

Don't know if I saw him on your list, but an obscure Gambino member is Andrew "Andy Boston" Parrillo. On wiretap saying his family came from island of Capri. Do you have more info on him?

Another confirmed Baltimore member to add is Giuseppe Tamburello. Native of Bisacquino.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Joe Scalise was made. He got whacked around the same time as his brother.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:05 am Confirmed Members:

Vincent "Jimmy Russo" Caronna - b. 1904 in Bisacquino, father Giuseppe and mother Genevieve Occhipinti. 2900 Smith Ave Baltimore MD

Frank Corbi (capodecina) - On your list.

Joseph Corbi - b. 1911. Brother of Frank so other details match. 2457 Annapolis Road Baltimore MD was parents' address in 1940 where he lived, not sure later.

Gaetano LaFata - b 1898 in Carini, Palermo, died 1965. Father Vincenzo and mother ??? (poss Margherita). 2928 Edgecombe Circle Baltimore MD. Source said he was a "member of the organization".

Frank Malvaso - Born 1901? Seems to be a mainland name. Source said he was the last one made in the 1950s

Luigi "Don Luigi" Morici (former capodecina) - b. 1896 in Palermo, father Serafino and mother Mattea Grasso. 5638 Clearspring Road Baltimore MD

Joseph Tamburello from Bisacquino, says he came to the US in 1920. 100 South High Street Baltimore MD. Not sure his age / parents, former resident of Youngstown where his brother Nick was a Cosa Nostra figure.

* LaFata and Malvaso were ID'd by a non-member informant but there is good indication they were members. Up to you whether to include those two, but the other guys are 100% confirmed by member informants or wiretaps admitting membership.

Suspected Members:

Mario Anello
Charles Barbera
Louis Comi
Angelo Perrera
Giacomo "Jimmy" Romano
+ Others

Maybe just include a note that there were allegedly 11 total members late in the 1960s instead of including info on all the suspecteds.
Vincent James Caronna Jimmy Russo 3/5/1904 Palermo 1516 W Mt Royal Ave, Baltimore, MD 21217 Midtown Baltimore Giuseppe Carona Palermo Genevieve Occhinginti Gertrude Barshop Bisacquino Palermo Sicily

Edward CORBI 5/19/1913 Baltimore 2451 Annapolis Rd, Baltimore, MD 21230 Baltimore Francis Corbi Centrache, Catanzaro Ella CARBACK Centrache Catanzaro Calabria

Joseph Corbi 5/25/1910 Boston, MA 2457 Annapolis Rd, Baltimore, MD 21230 Baltimore Francis Corbi Centrache, Catanzaro Ella CARBACK Centrache Catanzaro Calabria

Gaetano LaFata 1898 Carini, Palermo 2928 Edgecombe Cir N, Baltimore, MD 21215 Baltimore Vincenzo LaFata Margherita? Carini Palermo Sicily

Francesco Malvaso 4/6/1901 Rosarno, Reggio Calabria Baltimore Francesco Malvaso Caterina Fallette falleti malvaso Rosarno Reggio Calabria Calabria

Joseph Tamburello 3/19/1905 Sambuca di Sicilia, Agrigento, Sicilia 100 South High Street Baltimore MD Baltimore Agustino Tamburello Rosalia Battaglia Sambuca di Sicilia, Agrigento, Sicily

Mario Orazio Anello 2/10/1905 Palermo 3752 Columbus Dr, Baltimore, MD 21215 Baltimore Giuseppe Anello Palermo Palermo Sicily

Calogero Barbera Charles Thomas 3/7/1904 Villarosa 324 E Biddle St, Baltimore, MD 21202 Baltimore Villarosa Enna Sicily

Louis Harry Comi 7/17/1906 Wilmington, New Castle, Delaware, USA 215 S Eaton St, Baltimore, MD 21224 Baltimore Francesco Comi Catona, Calabria Philomena Di Guglielmo Catona Reggio Calabria Calabria

Joseph Gigliotti (former Pittsburgh) 4/23/1903 Walston, PA 1818 West Ave, Dundalk, MD 21222 Baltimore Girolamo Gigliotti Angelina x x Calabria

Benjamin Magliano "Benny Trotta" 7/8/1913 Colorado 3816 Bank St, Baltimore, MD 21224 Baltimore Nicola Magliano Rosaria M Magliano Salerno Salerno Campania

Angelo Salvatore Perrera 6/13/1912 Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut 1823 N Duncan St, Baltimore, MD 21213 Baltimore Salvatore J. Perrera Castrogiovanni, Enna, Sicilia, Italy Concetta Marie DiMattia Castrogiovanni Enna Sicily

Giacomo Romano "Jimmy" 12/13/1908 Villarosa 1 Riverside Dr, Essex, MD 21221 Baltimore Giuseppe Romano Villarosa Enna Sicily
44027_01_00040-01666.jpg
44030_03_00159-01852.jpg
44015_11_00002-01699.jpg
44015_08_00009-01462.jpg
44015_01_00013-00526.jpg
44015_01_00025-00047.jpg
44015_09_00034-01743.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Joe Scalise was made. He got whacked around the same time as his brother.

Pogo
Do we have a DOB/DOD?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Scalise was murdered in 1957. Not sure DOB.

Very interesting find on Tamburello being from Sambuca given he had connections to Bisacquino. The Caronnas and Tamburellos might be related somehow -- the Antonino Tamburello who was photographed with Vito Cascio Ferro and Giuseppe Morello was from Bisacquino and his wife was a Caronna. Cascio Ferro himself lived in Sambuca for a time. Plays into what DiLeonardo said too about guys from Bisacquino being close to guys from Agrigento... they also seem to have lived in both places.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Just my opinion but chris, I dont think you should add a bunch of guys who have never been confirmed made. For best accuracy, you should stick to names given by the FBI or names that can be confirmed as made by someone like DiLeonardo. But this is your project so chose the way however you want to do it.
There you have it, never printed before.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

This balmer faction is an odd one given its location. Pittsburgh, scranton and philly were regionally closer yet they fell in with the Gambinos. The Palermitan links have to be the connector.

The Gambino family, as an organization is quite impressive considering you had all these streams flowing from Palermo and Agrigento into this new world family which ended up taking in some impressive mainland elements. My mind keeps going back to Calderone's description of Gambino as "the American King."

HK, your opinion matters. Neither this chart nor the 1980s one would exist today were it not for you.

I just looked up the info of the names quickly as I've gotten good at it. I was going to list them as suspected. But looking at the chart, the asterisks dont jump out. Perhaps I should take the suspected members out of the main bunch and place them in a suspected members area? That way it doesnt, from a glance, make the family look bigger than we can confirm it to be.

I guess, my opinion, is that seeing all these Palermitans really changed my outlook on Baltimore which I thought was mostly Calabrese. But nope, it was a predominant Palermitan outpost which i wouldnt have noticed by just going by the 2-4 names we listed. Theres knowledge to be gained from that and if theres a way to show it without altering from the main goal of the chart...
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I agree the ones blindly regarded as suspected don't need to be there.

- When Carmine Lombardozzi went to Baltimore for the Patsy Corbi funeral in the 1950s he said the Gambino Family had 50 members in Baltimore, way more than there could/should be, but the FBI may have confused it and he meant simply a large number of Gambino members from all over attended or he was including associates. The other informant's estimate of 11 members in the late 1960s makes sense to me and would indicate they may have had 15-20 members at their peak in the 1950s. Doesn't mean the chart needs to include all of the possibles though.

- LaFata and Malvaso are a judgment call because it was a non-member source who ID'd them as members, but the CI was Baltimore-based and knew the lay of the land. He wouldn't have been basing it off of criminal activity as the members had very little illegal activity going on (Joe N. Gallo had to take charge of criminal operations when he visited), mainly just running businesses/stores.

- LaFata was from Carini and it seems likely he was an older member, and the informant was very specific about Malvaso being inducted before the books closed. Again a judgment call for them, but at least Caronna, the Corbi brothers, Morici, and Tamburello were confirmed by member sources.

- Also, I see Edward Corbi on the chart -- haven't come across him as a member but an FBI report from June 1966 says he died sometime before that.