Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Post by Angelo Santino »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:37 am I was reading through the DiLeonardo thread and came across this posted question:

"9. This is a 1910's related question but I'll shoot. Given that the DiLeonardo's fell into the Gambino Agrigentesi faction may have knowledge or connections with E 39th on the East Side, despite being from Brooklyn. If so, do any of these surnames ring any distant bells? De Leo, Vaccaro, Romano, Cusimano, Mule, Argento. All from 39th and Little Italy, the Romanos were in laws with the Palermitan Quartuccios of Sackett St, 1910's Brooklyn players. They were all Gambino affiliated but I cannot verify they all were members. Some had ties to Accurso Di Mino and were most likely in the same crew that Alfonso Attardi came up under, the rest would have been under Lo Ciceros on E39th. Thank you kindly."

DiLeonardo answered:

"-Deleo, Yes. Benny Deleo’s father was circa my grandfather. He was shelved for being gay. I don’t know his first name. My father was very friendly with Benny. Benny was caught sticking up social clubs with another guy. My Grandfather asked for a favor and saved Bennys life, his partner was not so lucky and was killed. A Romano is my Godfather, plenty of Romano’s to go around. Joe Cusimano was in my crew, old-timer whose father was in my grandfather crew. Also, as far as I know, the Palermitani with mostly those guys in his crew were from Palermo. But very close to guys from Ribera ect. When my grandfather came to the USA he settled in lower nyc spring st. Baxter 11st (I have addresses if you’re interested) then moved to bklyn. Daquila moved there also, two blocks away."

/// I found a Benny Deleo in the 1930 cencus, whose father´s name was John. The Deleo family lived in the same house as Michael´s grandfather on 17th Avenue in Brooklyn. Michael´s wording suggests that the father (John) was made when saying that he was shelved. So CC, this John DeLeo (born in or around 1883, wife´s name was Antonette) should possibly be on your chart. (Unless of course he was dead by 1963.)
Was that question from me? Romanos and Quartuccios are mentioned.

I think John DeLeo was out of it by 1963 but yes, thats the right family.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:41 am To my knowledge, nobody has tried to do this kind of thing before. A complete chart of all known Gambino members of 1963 and what CC, Antiliar and you B are doing, looking up their origins this thoroughly is fucking amazing. I was surprised to see so many members having mainland Italian roots, members who were made pretty early. We see a lot of Calabrese and some Neopolitans made already pre 1930/1931. This could be one of the factors why Vincent Mangano chose Albert Anastasia (a Calabrese) as his underboss in 1931. I´d love to know who all the captains were once Mangano and Anastasia were installed as boss and underboss. I wouldn´t be surprised if close to half of them had mainland Italian roots.
Certainly the largest, most info-oriented chart I ever attempted, same goes for the 1980 one that is still in progress.
gamtestsmall.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Brooklyn. Let me know if you see any discrepancies in people's bgs or typos. Once it's clear I can merge the text layers and greatly reduce the file size which makes it easier to work on.
gamtesrbk.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pretty sure Giovanni/John DeLeo was the brother of Calogero DeLeo, who Gentile talked about. Calogero was from Agrigento (Sciacca off the top of my head) and was on the same ship as Ignazio Lupo and Palermo boss Antonino Grillo when Lupo returned from Sicily after his release from prison. This was when he was seeking help getting his death sentence lifted and no doubt Grillo played a role helping him. Calogero DeLeo must have been involved as well.
Last edited by B. on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

CC -- looking great.

One small correction: Angelo Mannino was from Torretta, Palermo. His wife was Rose and his sons Sam and Ignazio were also Gambino members by this time. The one from Enna is a different guy, no mafia connection.

Joe Oxie Marino could be a relative of them. He came up close to the Mannino sons and their grandmother (I think -- might be mother) was a Marino which makes me think he could be a cousin but I don't know. I think he's at least Sicilian since he was w/ the Traina crew and as far as we know the members were 100% Sicilian.

Joe Oxie:
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Chris, you have guys on the list who were most likely made later. Joseph Cusimano was a Genovese member. Not Gambino. And Salvatore Giardina is same individual as Salvatore Vincent Giardina.
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Cusimano was a Gambino for sure HK -- ID'd by DiLeonardo as a member of the Garofalo crew by the time he was an associate.

There might have been another one with the Genovese.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Crisalli died in 1954. I think Rego killed pre 1963.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

You are right. Its Joseph Charles Cusimano. Mixed him up with another Joe Cusimano.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Thanks, keep it coming.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:07 am CC -- looking great.

One small correction: Angelo Mannino was from Torretta, Palermo. His wife was Rose and his sons Sam and Ignazio were also Gambino members by this time. The one from Enna is a different guy, no mafia connection.

Joe Oxie Marino could be a relative of them. He came up close to the Mannino sons and their grandmother (I think -- might be mother) was a Marino which makes me think he could be a cousin but I don't know. I think he's at least Sicilian since he was w/ the Traina crew and as far as we know the members were 100% Sicilian.

Joe Oxie:
Do you know Mannino's parents names? His DOB is correct?
HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:40 am Chris, you have guys on the list who were most likely made later. Joseph Cusimano was a Genovese member. Not Gambino. And Salvatore Giardina is same individual as Salvatore Vincent Giardina.
The * will indicate we're not sure. If someone absolutely doesnt belong on there, let me know.
HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:40 am Chris, you have guys on the list who were most likely made later. Joseph Cusimano was a Genovese member. Not Gambino. And Salvatore Giardina is same individual as Salvatore Vincent Giardina.
Ok so I need to review the Giardinas. Any help with them is valued.
HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:07 am Crisalli died in 1954. I think Rego killed pre 1963.
I'll look it up..
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Chris Christie wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:39 am
The * will indicate we're not sure. If someone absolutely doesnt belong on there, let me know.
Ok so I need to review the Giardinas. Any help with them is valued.
HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:07 am Crisalli died in 1954. I think Rego killed pre 1963.
I'll look it up..
The one I think was made later is James Androlini. He is not listed as made by the FBI until much later (late 1970s).

You have the right DOBs for the Giardinas. But you need to exclude Salvatore Giardina. You already have Salvatore Vincent Giardina on the chart. Same individual. This is the one who was nicknamed "Teddy", as B found out.
So, you should have 4 Giardinas on the chart:

Joseph Giardina Sr
Joseph Giardina Jr
Louis Michael Giardina
Salvatore Vincent "Teddy" Giardina
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yep, those are the right Giardinas. If you're doing crews you can put them with Traina.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Chart is divided by neighborhood because HK and I agreed we can't confirm a majority of member's decina affiliation. I can perhaps make a note next to those we know were with who.

If you and HK want to list who you know, I'll do my best.

Now the 80s, those past few names I posted are nuts I cant crack. Most of them are living guys- corozzo demaria carneglia who are central casting but they've eluded me. Any help there would wrap that up, aside from that and cheechs photos it's mostly done.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:07 am CC -- looking great.

One small correction: Angelo Mannino was from Torretta, Palermo. His wife was Rose and his sons Sam and Ignazio were also Gambino members by this time.
In 1963?