Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by Antiliar »

Name Guiseppe Senacore
Sex Male
Age 34
Address 921 Forquer St Ward 19
Burial Date 15 Mar 1922
Death Date 13 Mar 1922
Death Place Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States
Birth Year (Estimated) 1888
Birthplace , , Italy
Marital Status Married
Occupation Barber
Race White
Father's Name Antonio Senacore
Mother's Name Matea Lee Stafano
Spouse's Name Ida Manone
Informant's Name A Montelbano
Cemetery Mt Carmel

I think the original spelling was probably Sinacore or Sanacore, for what that's worth. He arrived in 1906 as Giuseppe Sinacori from Castelvetrano to his father Antonino Sinacore at 129 Blue Island Ave, Chicago. Antonino Sinacore, born around 1858 in Castelvetrano, arrived in 1903 to stay with Pietro Sinacore at what looks like 74 Philadelphia (or Childa-something) Ave in Chicago.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:56 am Name Guiseppe Senacore
Sex Male
Age 34
Address 921 Forquer St Ward 19
Burial Date 15 Mar 1922
Death Date 13 Mar 1922
Death Place Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States
Birth Year (Estimated) 1888
Birthplace , , Italy
Marital Status Married
Occupation Barber
Race White
Father's Name Antonio Senacore
Mother's Name Matea Lee Stafano
Spouse's Name Ida Manone
Informant's Name A Montelbano
Cemetery Mt Carmel

I think the original spelling was probably Sinacore or Sanacore, for what that's worth. He arrived in 1906 as Giuseppe Sinacori from Castelvetrano to his father Antonino Sinacore at 129 Blue Island Ave, Chicago. Antonino Sinacore, born around 1858 in Castelvetrano, arrived in 1903 to stay with Pietro Sinacore at what looks like 74 Philadelphia (or Childa-something) Ave in Chicago.
Yes, this was the same Giuseppe "Sinacore" that was apparently Giuseppe Ferraro Morici's uncle. I have the death record but hadn't confirmed that he was indeed from Castelvetrano, as I suspected, so thanks for confirming. And yes, Sanacore (i.e., from "sana cuore": "heal heart") should be the correct or original spelling, as that spelling is still used today in Sicily including Trapani province.

If he actually was a blood relative of Ferraro Morici, then a good guess is that the latter was also from Trapani province. Any further info on "Joe Ferraro"? Based on his aunt Ida Sinacore's statement that he arrived in the US about 4 years prior to his murder, I've been combing through arrival records from 1923 to 1925. Given that his Italian passport recovered by CPD had him as "Giuseppe Ferraro", I've been focusing on Giuseppe Ferraro/Ferrara as well as Giuseppe Morici, but haven't identified anyone who seems confirmable as him.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Girolamo "James" Lamberta was born about 1885 in Montevago, Agrigento province. The electronic version of his death record (murdered June, 1926) states that he was born 1885 in "Montevass". In 1902, a Girolamo Lamberta, born 1885 in Montevago, entered the US via NOLA. Lamberta's death record gave his father as "Joseph Lamberts" and his mother as "Josephine Geganti". In 1921, a Giuseppe Lamberta, aged 65, entered the US at NYC bound for his son Girolamo Lamberta in Chicago. Giuseppe Lamberta was born in Montevago and listed his wife as Margherita Ganci. This may be the same Joseph Lamberta, born in Montevago, who died 1940 in Chicago.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Filippo Piazza was born 1882 in Caccamo, Palermo province. The electronic version of his Illinois death index entry (murdered July 1926) states that he was born 1882 in "Carcuma", while the 1942 death record for son George Piazza states that both Filippo and his wife Carmella Landolina were born in Caccamo. On his WW1 registration, Filippo stated that he lived at 140 E 16th St in Chicago Heights. This was just down the block from where Girolamo Lamberta was living at the same time, at 123 E 16th St.

I found a canceled US naturalization document for a Filippo Piazza in 1909 (no birthdate, age, or address), who listed his witness as a Charles Fusco. If this is the same Filippo Piazza, this may indicate that he was indeed related to Joe Fusco (whose mother was a Piazza, as noted above). Piazza's Declaration of Intent went through in 1925, where he stated that he was born January 1882 in Caccamo and arrived in the US via NYC 1906/09/24.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Leo J Manfredi was born 1916 in Memphis, TN to Carlo Manfredi and Solferina/Sophia Baldelli. Both of his parents were from Ancona province, Marche. Carlo Manfredi was born 1890 in Montemarciano, Ancona, and arrived in the US via NYC in 1905 bound for Greensville, MS. Solferina Baldelli was born about 1892 in Falconara, Ancona and arrived with her parents Agostino and Michaelina and siblings at NYC in 1905, also bound for Greenville, MS. Carlo and Solferina were married 1908 in Memphis, where they had three kids -- Mary, Louise, and Leo. Carlo died in 1918 in a truck accident in Memphis and his family subsequently relocated to Chicago (where Solferina's parents and siblings also settled). In 1920, Solferina remarried Pasquale "Patsy" Esposito, of Acerra, Napoli and the family lived in the Taylor St Patch.

Given that Solferina Baldelli's second husband was a Pasquale Esposito from Acerra who lived in the Taylor St colony, it's possible that he was a relative of Joe Esposito, though I haven't been able to confirm that. Pasquale Esposito was born about 1882 and seems to be the Pasquale Esposito who died while living in Cicero in 1961. Solferina had another, definite, familial link to the mob, however. Her younger brother, Gisleri Baldelli, was the "Edward" Baldelli, alias "the Eagle" who was an alleged Tropea and Genna affiliate murdered in February 1926.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:10 pm Girolamo "James" Lamberta was born about 1885 in Montevago, Agrigento province. The electronic version of his death record (murdered June, 1926) states that he was born 1885 in "Montevass". In 1902, a Girolamo Lamberta, born 1885 in Montevago, entered the US via NOLA. Lamberta's death record gave his father as "Joseph Lamberts" and his mother as "Josephine Geganti". In 1921, a Giuseppe Lamberta, aged 65, entered the US at NYC bound for his son Girolamo Lamberta in Chicago. Giuseppe Lamberta was born in Montevago and listed his wife as Margherita Ganci. This may be the same Joseph Lamberta, born in Montevago, who died 1940 in Chicago.
There were many Montevago immigrants that settled in Springfield, Illinois that I believe were connected to the Springfield LCN. Also, I think VIto Impastato of the Springfield LCN was from Montevago.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:36 pm
PolackTony wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:10 pm Girolamo "James" Lamberta was born about 1885 in Montevago, Agrigento province. The electronic version of his death record (murdered June, 1926) states that he was born 1885 in "Montevass". In 1902, a Girolamo Lamberta, born 1885 in Montevago, entered the US via NOLA. Lamberta's death record gave his father as "Joseph Lamberts" and his mother as "Josephine Geganti". In 1921, a Giuseppe Lamberta, aged 65, entered the US at NYC bound for his son Girolamo Lamberta in Chicago. Giuseppe Lamberta was born in Montevago and listed his wife as Margherita Ganci. This may be the same Joseph Lamberta, born in Montevago, who died 1940 in Chicago.
There were many Montevago immigrants that settled in Springfield, Illinois that I believe were connected to the Springfield LCN. Also, I think VIto Impastato of the Springfield LCN was from Montevago.
Thanks, Cav. Very interesting. Off the top of my head, I don’t recall seeing any other Chicago members with ancestry from Montevago, though I also haven’t noted many Chicago Sicilians from Montevago either. If they established a colony downstate than it would make sense that most of them arriving in the area would head that way.

FWIW though, I have Vito Impastato as born 1904 in Cinisi.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:54 pm
Thanks, Cav. Very interesting. Off the top of my head, I don’t recall seeing any other Chicago members with ancestry from Montevago, though I also haven’t noted many Chicago Sicilians from Montevago either. If they established a colony downstate than it would make sense that most of them arriving in the area would head that way.

Oh right... I forgot Impastato was born in Cinisi. There were other Impastatos from Montevago and I lumped him in with them. Interestingly there was a Lamberta from Springfield that was from Montevago that I'm betting tied into that Chicago Lamberta.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:13 pm

Oh right... I forgot Impastato was born in Cinisi. There were other Impastatos from Montevago and I lumped him in with them. Interestingly there was a Lamberta from Springfield that was from Montevago that I'm betting tied into that Chicago Lamberta.
Who was the other Lamberta? I grew up on the NW side, so Chi Heights might as well be Springfield for me, lol.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I had suspected that the John Manzella who with the Buccieri/Infelise crew was of Cinisi ancestry and thus potentially related to figures like Cesare Manzella and Matteo Manzella of Springfield (another question is the "Jack Manzella/Nick Manzello" arrested with Joe Aiello in the 1927 attempted hit on Capone and Tony Lombardo). This didn't seem to pan out, however. From what I have, John Louis Manzella was born Giovanni Manzella 1923 in Chicago to Luigi Manzella and Filomena Bucchicchio. Luigi was from Pietragalla, Potenza, Basicilicata while Filomena was from Baragiano, Potenza. The Manzellas lived on Hastings St just south of the Taylor St Patch, and I believe that John Manzella was a tavern keeper at a bar on Roosevelt Rd near his family home. Later on John Manzella lived in the SW side West Lawn neighborhood near Ford City. I'm not sure what happened to John Manzella after the Infelise crew bust, but he died 2005 still living in the West Lawn area.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:14 pm
cavita wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:13 pm

Who was the other Lamberta? I grew up on the NW side, so Chi Heights might as well be Springfield for me, lol.
Gaetana Lamberta born April 7,1909 in Montevago was the daughter of Biagio Lamberta and Vincenza Mangiaracina. She married Pietro Frisina in Montevago in 1928. Gaetana died January 26,1989 in Taylorville, Illinois and was predeceased by two brothers and a brother Stefano Lamberta survived her in SIcily.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Also a Mary Giordano of Springfield, Illinois died March 27, 1981. She was born 1908 in Montevago to Carlo Giordano and Clara Giganti. The Giganti were related by marriage to the Springfield Zito members of the LCN. She married a Carlo Russo who survived her.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:24 pm Also a Mary Giordano of Springfield, Illinois died March 27, 1981. She was born 1908 in Montevago to Carlo Giordano and Clara Giganti. The Giganti were related by marriage to the Springfield Zito members of the LCN. She married a Carlo Russo who survived her.
I'm sure that you noticed that James Lamberta's mother was listed as a Giganti on his death record. When his father came to meet him in the US, he stated that his wife at that time was a Margherita Ganci. It's possible that the death record confused Giganti for Ganci, or that the mother had since died and the father remarried another woman.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Frank Ferraro was born Frank Sortino 1911 in NYC to Giuseppe Sortino of Villafranca Sicula, Agrigento province and Angelina Barone. I haven't been able to confirm where in Sicily Angelina was born. Her 1963 death record in Chicago states that she was born 1880/08/19. There was an Angelina Sortino born 1880 who arrived from Sicily to NYC in 1905 who was from Santo Stefano Quisquina, Agrigento, so that's a possibility, given that SSQ is not far from VS. The closest match I could find in the Sicilian birth records was a Maria Barone, born 1880/08/14 in Serradifalco, Caltanissetta.

When Frank was born, the Sortinos lived at 31 Monroe St in Lower Manhattan (the area now called "Two Bridges"). By 1920, they had relocated to Chicago, where they lived in the Chinatown/Armour Square area of the Near Southside. It seems that Strongy took the "Ferraro" thing from his brother-in-law. In 1921, his sister Jennie married Joseph Ferraro, and in 1930 the couple was living in the Sortino home.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:15 pm
Yes, this was the same Giuseppe "Sinacore" that was apparently Giuseppe Ferraro Morici's uncle. I have the death record but hadn't confirmed that he was indeed from Castelvetrano, as I suspected, so thanks for confirming. And yes, Sanacore (i.e., from "sana cuore": "heal heart") should be the correct or original spelling, as that spelling is still used today in Sicily including Trapani province.

If he actually was a blood relative of Ferraro Morici, then a good guess is that the latter was also from Trapani province. Any further info on "Joe Ferraro"? Based on his aunt Ida Sinacore's statement that he arrived in the US about 4 years prior to his murder, I've been combing through arrival records from 1923 to 1925. Given that his Italian passport recovered by CPD had him as "Giuseppe Ferraro", I've been focusing on Giuseppe Ferraro/Ferrara as well as Giuseppe Morici, but haven't identified anyone who seems confirmable as him.
He probably entered illegally. If he entered in 1924, that's when Mussolini started his campaign against the Mafia. He could have entered through Cuba like Joe Bonanno or Canada like Maranzano. The other Joe Ferraros I saw came from the mainland.