John Scopelliti (Philadelphia)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

LcnBios
Straightened out

John Scopelliti (Philadelphia)

Post by LcnBios »

Was going to post in the photo forum but added a bit of info onto it.

Early 1930s arrest photo of John Scopelliti:

Some general bio details:

Born July 15, 1892 in town of Varapodio, Reggio Calabria to Andrea Scopelliti and Rosa Artuso Scopelliti. [Same town as Lagana brothers]

Arrived in US on July 1, 1907.

Living in South Philadelphia by 1918.

Among several charged with the May 30, 1927 murders of Vincent Cocozza (30y) and Joseph Zanghi (19y). Both shotgunned to death at corner of South 8th St in South Philadekphia. Zanghi's brother Anthony claimed Scopelliti was the driver of the hit car, with Dominick Festa and Luigi Quaranta as passengers. Salvatore Sabella, John Avena and Domenico Pollina were allegedly the shooters. All of these guys were confirmed made members and several held leadership positions. Of this group only Quaranta was found guilty.

On June 25, 1928 wounded in shooting attempt on life outside residence on South 8th St. Hit in arm thigh and torso by one or more gunman firing from passing automobile.

In 1936 arrested with John Avena (Boss), Marco Reginelli and Pasquale Massi. This was a couple of months before Avena was killed and replaced by Joseph Bruno.

Sometime during the 1930s Scopelliti reportedly got into trouble with the Philly leadership and was told to return to Italy or be murdered. The source of this information was Salvatore Scafidi, who mentioned it to his brother Rocco (an FBI CI). Rocco was also told that Scopelliti was one of the early members under Sabella's leadership.

Died August 31, 1943 at residence on Circle Drive in Margate, New Jersey. Cause of death listed as stomach cancer and accompanying malnutrition. Occupation listed on death certificate as livestock buyer. Buried September 4, 1943 in Pleasantville, NJ.

Interestingly Harry Riccobene told the FBI in the mid-1960s that Scopelliti had never been made a member. This clearly conflicts with other members source(s), one of whom said he personally knew Scopelliti to be made. Riccobene was asked if it was possible that Scopelliti had been made without Riccobene being aware of it and he said 'in his opinion this was not possible'. From some of Riccobene's other info we know he held back on things (claimed Scarfo wasn't made, but Rocco Scafidi was picked up on an FBI bug saying Riccobene formally introduced Scarfo to him in prison). Was Riccobene lying about Scopelliti for some reason, just mistaken, or were all the other CIs wrong? Looking at who Scopelliti associated with through the years he was clearly well connected.
Last edited by LcnBios on Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: John Scopelliti (Philadelphia)

Post by Angelo Santino »

JD wrote:Was going to post in the photo forum but added a bit of info onto it.

Early 1930s arrest photo of John Scopelliti:

Some general bio details:

Born July 15, 1892 in town of Varapodio, Reggio Calabria to Andrea Scopelliti and Rosa Artuso Scopelliti. [Same town as Lagana brothers]

Arrived in US on July 1, 1907.

Living in South Philadelphia by 1918.

Among several charged with the May 30, 1927 murders of Vincent Cocozza (30y) and Joseph Zanghi (19y). Both shotgunned to death at corner of South 8th St in South Philadekphia. Zanghi's brother Anthony claimed Scopelliti was the driver of the hit car, with Dominick Festa and Luigi Quaranta as passengers. Salvatore Sabella, John Avena and Domenico Pollina were allegedly the shooters. All of these guys were confirmed made members and several held leadership positions. Of this group only Quaranta was found guilty.

On June 25, 1928 wounded in shooting attempt on life outside residence on South 8th St. Hit in arm thigh and torso by one or more gunman firing from passing automobile.

In 1936 arrested with John Avena (Boss), Marco Reginelli and Pasquale Massi. This was a couple of months before Avena was killed and replaced by Joseph Bruno.

Sometime during the 1930s Scopelliti reportedly got into trouble with the Philly leadership and was told to return to Italy or be murdered. The source of this information was Salvatore Scafidi, who mentioned it to his brother Rocco (an FBI CI). Rocco was also told that Scopelliti was one of the early members under Sabella's leadership.

Died August 31, 1943 at residence on Circle Drive in Margate, New Jersey. Cause of death listed as stomach cancer and accompanying malnutrition. Occupation listed on death certificate as livestock buyer. Buried September 4, 1943 in Pleasantville, NJ.

Interestingly Harry Riccobene told the FBI in the mid-1960s that Scopelliti had never been made a member. This clearly conflicts with other members source(s), one of whom said he personally knew Scopelliti to be made. Riccobene was asked if it was possible that Scopelliti had been made without Riccobene being aware of it and he said 'in his opinion this was not possible'. From some of Riccobene's other info we know he held back on things (claimed Scarfo wasn't made, but Rocco Scafidi was picked up on an FBI bug saying Riccobene formally introduced Scarfo to him in prison). Was Riccobene lying about Scopelliti for some reason, just mistaken, or were all the other CIs wrong? Looking at who Scopelliti associated with through the years he was clearly well connected.
Great stuff as always.

1) After the murder in 1927, Scopeliti was referred to as the boss in several papers. It makes me wonder what his actual rank was.

2) Do we know if it was Riccobene or Scafidi who said prior to 1940 Philadelphia had no structure? It goes against other sources I've encountered. Wondering if that could be another mistake.
LcnBios
Straightened out

Post by LcnBios »

Chris Christie wrote: 2) Do we know if it was Riccobene or Scafidi who said prior to 1940 Philadelphia had no structure? It goes against other sources I've encountered. Wondering if that could be another mistake.
Good question, I'm not sure if Riccobene made any comments on it. I went back and looked up some of Scafidi's info and here's what he said.

In January 1965 Salvatore Scafidi talks to Rocco about their father Gaetano and says he (Gaetano) had been a Capodecina at the time they were all jailed together on an arson related charge in Chester, PA. That arrest happened April 1934 (article about it on the Fulton site), but Scafidi gives the date as 1936 so maybe they were convicted and jailed later on. Rocco was also told that Gaetano's crew at the time included 'Peter Casella, Skutchie Cherico, Little Harry Riccobene and Sam Scafidi'.

Around Summer-Fall 1966 Rocco and Salvatore are talking history and Salvatore makes that statement I think you're referring to about lack of leadership positions under the early Bosses. I'm pretty sure it's on MaryFarrell, or at least a summarized version of the report. He specifically mentioned the ranks coming into practice under Joseph Bruno (Boss by Fall 1936). Sam also talks about his own membership and says he was made in 1930 under Sabella, so he did at least have some contemporary knowledge on how things were set up.

I've only started looking at Philly so can't say how accurate any of it is. Assuming he's right, and those positions went out of use for a time, it looks like Gaetano was one of the first guys to be given a crew when/if Joseph Bruno brought them back.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

JD wrote:
Chris Christie wrote: 2) Do we know if it was Riccobene or Scafidi who said prior to 1940 Philadelphia had no structure? It goes against other sources I've encountered. Wondering if that could be another mistake.
Good question, I'm not sure if Riccobene made any comments on it. I went back and looked up some of Scafidi's info and here's what he said.

In January 1965 Salvatore Scafidi talks to Rocco about their father Gaetano and says he (Gaetano) had been a Capodecina at the time they were all jailed together on an arson related charge in Chester, PA. That arrest happened April 1934 (article about it on the Fulton site), but Scafidi gives the date as 1936 so maybe they were convicted and jailed later on. Rocco was also told that Gaetano's crew at the time included 'Peter Casella, Skutchie Cherico, Little Harry Riccobene and Sam Scafidi'.

Around Summer-Fall 1966 Rocco and Salvatore are talking history and Salvatore makes that statement I think you're referring to about lack of leadership positions under the early Bosses. I'm pretty sure it's on MaryFarrell, or at least a summarized version of the report. He specifically mentioned the ranks coming into practice under Joseph Bruno (Boss by Fall 1936). Sam also talks about his own membership and says he was made in 1930 under Sabella, so he did at least have some contemporary knowledge on how things were set up.

I've only started looking at Philly so can't say how accurate any of it is. Assuming he's right, and those positions went out of use for a time, it looks like Gaetano was one of the first guys to be given a crew when/if Joseph Bruno brought them back.
You said you only recently began looking into Philly. Have you ever read the Before Bruno books by Morello? It's a good starting point if you haven't already. But I'm glad that you're looking into Philly, you find some very interesting stuff and will increase our knowledge base.

On earlyPhiladelphia, it seems like a coalition between those from Sciaccatani in Norristown, Castelammaresi, Caccamesi in South Philly and Belmonte Mezzagno in S. Jersey. Later on other non-Sicilian factions were included but that's another topic. This Sicilian element from all the factions were not very large or prominent in terms of numbers in the Italian demographic, 10% overall. The mafia has been said to have existed in Philadelphia since 1880. Given the distance between Norristown, S Philly (I didn't forget Chester) and S. Jersey, it's tough to conclude whether or not it was always one entity or if they were small factions or connected to New York. Christian St appears to have been the epicenter were members from S. Jersey even had business operations and that wasn't a Sicilian neighborhood, Calabrians, Abruzzesi and Neapolitans were 50% to their 10%. It seems that before 1931, Sabella at some point came to unify these factions as well as Chester and maybe Trenton. Localized leaders had to have existed whether they were designated captains or not.

B. Your thoughts/additions/revisions on anything?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Morello said there were 19 identified members of Sabella's crew. I'd be interesting seeing those names.
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

So Harry riccobene was an informant ???
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Chris Christie wrote:Morello said there were 19 identified members of Sabella's crew. I'd be interesting seeing those names.

Did she mean his personal crew or the family as a whole? It's been ages since I've read her books so I forgot.

Hailbritain wrote:So Harry riccobene was an informant ???

Yes he was a secret informant.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: B. Your thoughts/additions/revisions on anything?
This matches everything I've seen and even adds to it.

Scopelliti is a candidate in my opinion for the first "Calabrian rappresentante" (to use Bruno's own wording on the Magliocco tape), which was an informal position but not insignificant. LE suspected him of being Sabella's boss, so you can take that as a sign that he had some influence in the organization. It just depends on when the whole "arrangement" between Sicilians and Calabrians started... you would think it would have been a factor in the 1920s or 30s given that ethnic affiliations didn't grow stronger with time but actually weakened (i.e. why would a bunch of guys who have been in the US for decades or even born here suddenly start hyping up their Calabrese background in the 1950s? It must go back farther).

About Pete Casella being a member of Scafidi's crew by the mid-1930s... this goes along with other info I've seen that suggests he was made very young (I've said before that I suspect him to have been made in his teens like Riccobene but can't confirm).

Riccobene's info is tricky for the reasons already mentioned. He had harsh opinions on who should and shouldn't be members and he may have said certain people weren't members simply because he felt they shouldn't be or because he wanted to give an idealized impression of the organization. When he was introduced to Scarfo in prison, he was said to have gotten immediately upset and went on a rant about the state of the organization in front of Scarfo and the others. He was also known to blackball other members from being made. I believe he is also the informant who contested when Angelo Bruno was made, but we have from Bruno's own mouth that he was made ~1951.

Seems possible that there wasn't structure until Joe Bruno took over, but also possible that they did have some positions and they weren't strictly followed. Sabella and Avena were both involved at all levels of the organization from the top down, but I believe there was at least an underboss. There is also a history of crossover between the different crews, which you can see during the Scarfo years with the Philly crews acting as one, though this wasn't completely new even then.

As you said, the formation of the family probably came about from a few different Sicilian groups plus the Calabrians coming together under one banner. Maybe they were all one family when Gentile was made, but I would guess he wasn't made into what we know as "THE" Philadelphia family, but was instead made by a group of mafiosi who happened to live in that area and may or may not have been directly affiliated with other similar groups in the area.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

As for the "original" members in 1920, these are the names that Scafidi listed. He states that Joe Traina appointed Sabella as boss of these men, but the family was not limited only to these names:

Gaetano Scafidi
Joseph Scafidi
Dominick Festa
Francesco Barrale
Marco Reginelli
Antonio Pollina
Michael Maggio
John Scopelliti
Mario Riccobene
Salvatore Testa
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

B. wrote:As for the "original" members in 1920, these are the names that Scafidi listed. He states that Joe Traina appointed Sabella as boss of these men, but the family was not limited only to these names:

Gaetano Scafidi
Joseph Scafidi
Dominick Festa
Francesco Barrale
Marco Reginelli
Antonio Pollina
Michael Maggio
John Scopelliti
Mario Riccobene
Salvatore Testa
And just for curiosity's sake, let's divide these guys up...

Belmonte Mezzagno Sicilian
Gaetano Scafidi
Joseph Scafidi
Francesco Barrale

Other Sicilian
Salvatore Sabella
Antonio Pollina
Michael Maggio
Mario Riccobene
Salvatore Testa

Calabrese
Dominick Festa
John Scopelliti

Abruzzi
Marco Reginelli
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Great list B. Can we specualte who sme of the other members were?

John Avena would have been a member during this time. Joseph Bruno is a likely possibility. How about Dimetri Pinestri?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote:Great list B. Can we specualte who sme of the other members were?

John Avena would have been a member during this time. Joseph Bruno is a likely possibility. How about Dimetri Pinestri?

Pogo
I don't think John Avena was made by 1920 and from what I've seen there is no way Joe Bruno was. Demetrio Pennestri probably wouldn't have been made until later either.

Some of these guys could have been members by 1920, give or take a few:
John Botte, Antonio Calio, John Cappello Sr., Gaetano Bruno, Biagio Passanante, Michael Romeo, Paul Savarese, John Cattanese, Antonio Casella, Salvatore Casella, John Girgenti Sr., Ralph Saraceno
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks B. So in 1919/20 the family had 20 made members?

Pogo
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I don't think we know how many there were.

This is what I've put together in the past. Early Philly members shared their origins with members of the Gambino and Bonanno families. The Cast. pop in Philly was restricted to a few linked blood families, overshadowed by a larger Palermitan expat community and an even larger Calabrian and Abruzzi pop. In the 1910's, Sabella was brokered by Joe Traina (Gambinos) after living in Schiro's Williamsburgh. By the time Joe Ida was in the picture as boss in the 50's, the NY power brokers of Philly was Gambino and now Genovese- most likely due to the large amount of Calabrians all three family had by that point.

B, I put some names of interest in red.

Early Sicilian Mafiosi Philadelphia (1890's-1920's)
Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto
Mario giuseppe dovi aka Joe Bruno, born in 1889, arrived in 1900.
Caccamo
Joseph Fusci, associated with Pollina
Antonio Pollina, 1892-1993. Arrived in US in 1924.
Phillip Pollina
Campobello Di Mazzara
Joseph Maggio: cousin or bro in law of Mike Maggio, both from Bristol, active in 9th street Ital Market.
Peter Maggio, once considered the boss when avena was boss. From Bristol
Biagio Passanante (1883-1946), Owned Red Devil Tavern, on 900 block of S 8th Street, From Bistol. Related to Maggio.
Castellammare
Galante Family settled in North Philly in 1900. Associated with Williamsburgh
Navarra Family??- Paolo Navarra from East 9th had relatives in Philadelphia.
Chiodo Family from Castellammare associated with Sabella
Leonard “Freddy Linens” Galante – Sabella’s bro in law
Salvatore Sabella - Arrived in Philly 1914, Boss by 1918 until 1931, retired.
Castrogiovanni
Paul Savarese (1881-1958). Connected to Riccobene family from Enna. Arrived in US in 1907. Associated with Sal Testa. Cizitenzhip in 1914. Found dead. Lived on south 8th.
Enna
Mario Riccobene, Sr., membership predates Sabella's tunure as boss
Enrico "Harry" Riccobene, son of Mario., made in 1927 at age 17.
Giardini Naxos
Salvatore Testa (1891-1950). Operated on Christian Street near Sabella members from Belmonte Mazzagno operated. Made into Sabella's family.
Novara di Sicilia
John Avena (ap 7, 1893)
Unkown
Gaetano Bruno (1918)
George Catania, Murdured in 1928 by Musky Zanghi gang. Lived in Upper Darby, PA operated on Christian and passyunk
Michael Macaluso, Aligned with Sabella in “Third Republican Club” on Catherine street. Godfather to Salvatore Avena in 1926
FNU Matarazzo. Operated on Christian Street.
Vincent Petruazzelli, murdered in 1918, Gaetano Bruno avenged his murder. His membership confirmed by relatives.
Andrea Restucci. Spoke publically for Sabella in 1927.
Angelo "Skutchie" Cherico, active in the 20's, John Avena's bodyguard.

Early Sicilian Mafiosi in Chester (1890's 1920's)
Luigi Quaranta

Early Sicilian Mafiosi New Jersey (1890's 1920's)
Belmonte Mezzagno
Francesco "Don Cheech" Barale (1882-1958), Operated on Christian Street in Philly. Very high ranking early member, "boss" from South Jersey. This guy may have preceded Sabella and if so, was an early family boss from jersey.
Giovanni Cappello, Sr (1878-1962) His son John Jr. married Sal Casella's daughter. Connected with Giuseppe Traina.
Antonio Casella (1869-1926). Once lived in Mizpah, NJ, murdered.
Salvatore Casella (1881-?) Arrived in NY in 1906, naturalized in 1922. Grocery on 9th and Fitzwater. Peter Casella's father.
Giuseppe Girgenti, associated with Sabella.
Unknown
Joseph Scafidi, his brothers were Gaetano "Big Tom" Scafidi and Michael. Most reliable killer in LCN. According to Anastasia a Scafidi was a capo at the turn of the century.
Sam Trombetta
Vincenzo Turco

Possible Early Calabrian members (1920's-1940's)
Antonio "Nino" Calio, Bootlegging partner of Tom Scafidi and Sal Testa.
Domenico "Mimi" Ceppaluni, associated with Detullio and Denaro.
Angelo Cilione, operated at 9th and Jackson, under Joe Rugnetta.
Fred "Sparky" Lagana, joined along with his brother Joseph under John Avena, associated with DeTullio.
Joseph Lagana, (born in varapodio, Reggio Cal. 1891). Arrested in 1920, associated with Joe Ida.
Joseph Lanciano, (1906, Santa Caterina, Reggio Cal), Operated between Philly and S. Jersey.
Giuseppe "Joe Lupo" Perugina, active during Prohibition had coffee shops. Associated with Detullio, murder suspect in 1934.
Frank Piccolo, not related to the Scarfo/Piccolos or at least not closely. Murdered in the 1930's.
Michael Romeo, in 1927, he was playing cards with Leonard Galante and other members. Possible early Calabrian faction leader.
Giuseppe Rugnetta, born in Sinapoli, Reggio cal, in 1896.
John Scopoletti, associated with Sabella during the 1920's, considered the gang's boss by the press.
Chester
Eduardo Caminiti, lived in Chester, partnered with Harry Riccobene.
Dominick Festa, associated with Sabella and Quaranta, Arrived in US in 1913, associated with Rocco DiCondina, Dimetri Finestro, Eduardo Caminiti.
Joseph Sciglitano, born in 1896 in Seminara Italy.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, there is no way we'll ever know the exact membership around 1920 but Scafidi at least gave us an idea. I'd lean toward a conservative number and between 20 and 30 sounds about right.

Christie--
I'm not familiar with the Peter (Pietro) Maggio you mentioned. Where does the info about him being considered a boss come from? Joseph Maggio might be the one who has been listed as a deceased member by the 1960s, but Michael's son Joseph who he murdered was also said to be a member.

I don't think Cheech Barale was a boss but in effect the #1 guy in South Jersey, where many of the Belmonte Mezzagno guys moved after leaving Philly. Joseph Scafidi took over this crew and kept the spot until the 1980s. Anastasia is the man, but his knowledge of the early history is sketchy at times. When he mentions a Scafidi being capo at the turn of the century, he probably means Tom Scafidi being an early captain (1930s).
Last edited by B. on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.