How Vic Amuso became the boss according to Vincent “Fish” Cafaro

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Re: How Vic Amuso became the boss according to Vincent “Fish” Cafaro

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:17 pm Im not sure if this is true but the way I always understood what happened to Buddy Luongo was that Buddy was angling to take control of the family supported by Tom Mix but something happened between Tom and Tony Ducks and so Tony had Vic kill Buddy.
This is the best explanation Ive read in 20 years no the forums.

Here's why.
Chin went to the 9's to kill Gotti for killing a boss. Why didnt he hit Casso/Amuso for the Luongo hit, IF Luongo was boss.
Because he wasnt as it turns out.
If Buddy was Toms man, and Vic/Gas Tony's, then if it came from Tony, thats the way it was.

Thanks JS. You may have just put one of the biggest LCN 'conundrums', to bed.

Salut and Merry Xmas mate.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

Macaluso
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

Hailbritain wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:33 pmMacaluso

Hailbritain Thanks , Not much about this guy out there as far as I see , Macaluso was wealthy from The garment center and was told to retire or die By Amuso and Casso according to D'Arco, I am guessing he retired.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

why would amuso choose macaluso as his underboss and less then 2 years force him to retire. dont add up. i think i read vic amuso first consigliere was neil migliore but he was indcited in 87 probaly jailed so casso got the 3 spot fast. who was in the luchese administrion in 1988ish. vics boss is casso under or still consig or was this guy mac still the UB. i bet he retired more then he was forced out. again vic made him his underboss he dont have to force any thig. he dont want him as his UB he brakes him down. the guy was old he was smart to go to florida
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:17 pm
Luca wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:56 pm Why would any of the family elders want them running things?
You’re looking at things in hindsight. At the time Tony Ducks was going down Gaspipe was absolutely revered on the street, think Mickey Mantle or Joe Namath but a wiseguy. Him and Vic were a good team and they were Christy Ticks protégés that’s why they were given the family.

Im not sure if this is true but the way I always understood what happened to Buddy Luongo was that Buddy was angling to take control of the family supported by Tom Mix but something happened between Tom and Tony Ducks and so Tony had Vic kill Buddy.
I have heard that to about Luongo and Tom Mix but what is the source behind that story?
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Shellackhead wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:12 am
Little_Al1991 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:54 am
Shellackhead wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:02 am No point in those veteran mobsters like
Furnari & Coco in advising Amuso because he was controlled by Casso. Casso said jump & Vic asked how high.
I don’t believe he was totally controlled by Casso but it’s clear that Casso did influence him
You know what I think? After Buddy got clipped I think Casso had all the attention & acumen to lead the family but he instead gave it to Vic. Vic knew that Casso had more weight street smarts & respect than he did so that’s why he listened to Casso so much. There’s no way that all those guys that Casso clipped were informants. Those guys have been around for decades & were huge earners. Or maybe the information he was getting from the Mafia Cops was legit?
I remember Ricciardi talking about when Buddy got murdered everyone in NJ and the Bronx was really shook up about it. NJ faction has always been closer to the Bronx faction traditionally until recently. So when it happened not to many people in the NJ faction even really knew Casso or Amuso well or at all. It basically turned the everything upside down.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

Rocco wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:04 am
Shellackhead wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:02 am No point in those veteran mobsters like
Furnari & Coco in advising Amuso because he was controlled by Casso. Casso said jump & Vic asked how high.
I don’t believe he was totally controlled by Casso but it’s clear that Casso did influence him
You know what I think? After Buddy got clipped I think Casso had all the attention & acumen to lead the family but he instead gave it to Vic. Vic knew that Casso had more weight street smarts & respect than he did so that’s why he listened to Casso so much. There’s no way that all those guys that Casso clipped were informants. Those guys have been around for decades & were huge earners. Or maybe the information he was getting from the Mafia Cops was legit?
I remember Ricciardi talking about when Buddy got murdered everyone in NJ and the Bronx was really shook up about it. NJ faction has always been closer to the Bronx faction traditionally until recently. So when it happened not to many people in the NJ faction even really knew Casso or Amuso well or at all. It basically turned the everything upside down.
Shoot it probably was, who has more info about this Buddy Luongo? There’s only like 1 picture of him. Who did he come up under? Rackets? Etc.
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Clearly there was resentment within the Bronx Faction against Vic and Gas but this resentment is what led to the death of Michael Salerno, a well respected Bronx member.
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Shellackhead wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:51 pm
Shoot it probably was, who has more info about this Buddy Luongo? There’s only like 1 picture of him. Who did he come up under? Rackets? Etc.
Very little info out there on Buddy but clearly he was well respected and supposed to be the boss which means he most likely was a capable guy and an earner.He would have been close to Tony Ducks I imagine
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:52 am
I have heard that to about Luongo and Tom Mix but what is the source behind that story?
I can’t point you to a singular source. That was the story on the street and it made sense so it was always the way I understood things went down.

Whatever happened between Tony and Tom lead directly to Buddy being killed and Vic becoming the Boss.
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:39 pm

Clearly there was resentment within the Bronx Faction against Vic and Gas but this resentment is what led to the death of Michael Salerno, a well respected Bronx member.
Mac Macaluso was Bronx also , Maybe a mini purge for the money makers like NJ
MightyDR
Straightened out

Post by MightyDR »

johnny_scootch wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:44 pm
I can’t point you to a singular source. That was the story on the street and it made sense so it was always the way I understood things went down.

Whatever happened between Tony and Tom lead directly to Buddy being killed and Vic becoming the Boss.
The source is D'Arco. In "Mob Boss" it says Santoro was grooming Luongo for years to take over his rackets and Luongo had briefly been the leading candidate for boss. Vic and Gas told D'Arco that Luongo and DiLapi were part of a plot by Santoro to seize power in 1986 while Corallo and Santoro were on trial which is why they were killed.

I'm inclined to believe D'Arco in this case. He went out of his way to make Vic and Gas look bad so if they had seized power of the family by killing the real boss he would have mentioned it.
dave
Straightened out

Post by dave »

MightyDR wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:02 pm

The source is D'Arco. In "Mob Boss" it says Santoro was grooming Luongo for years to take over his rackets and Luongo had briefly been the leading candidate for boss. Vic and Gas told D'Arco that Luongo and DiLapi were part of a plot by Santoro to seize power in 1986 while Corallo and Santoro were on trial which is why they were killed.

I'm inclined to believe D'Arco in this case. He went out of his way to make Vic and Gas look bad so if they had seized power of the family by killing the real boss he would have mentioned it.
Do you remember what chapter of the book that is? I have the audio version, and can't do a search. Thanks!
MightyDR
Straightened out

Post by MightyDR »

dave wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:18 pm

Do you remember what chapter of the book that is? I have the audio version, and can't do a search. Thanks!
Chapter 13 - Fort Hamilton Parkway
dave
Straightened out

Post by dave »

MightyDR wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:20 pm
dave wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:18 pm

Chapter 13 - Fort Hamilton Parkway
About 41:30 in the chapter for those with the audiobook, thanks again.
Macaluso was also mentioned right after this. He was already Consigliere before Amuso took over and told him to kick rocks, by the way D'Arco explains it.