Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:34 am
Antiliar wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:25 am Are you certain that you have the correct parents for John A. Matassa Sr? This obit is from 1976 and seems to match:

CT 1976May9 John Matassa Sr obit.jpg

According to Ottavio Matassa's naturalization he was from San Leiliceslavo, which is a typo for something. His World War II draft card has San Felitio. Slav.
Good catch. I should've hedged that one by stating "I believe" the way that I did for Jimmy I, as with these "younger" guys it's more difficult to establish a firm genealogy. There was another John A Matassa who died in 1951 in Chicago, who I thought was the son of Ottavio Matassa but died too early to be the John Matassa, Sr here. The one who died in 1951 now I think may have been an uncle or something. When I looked into Ottavio, he was from San Felice del Molise, which is an old settlement of Croatians (hence the "Slavo").

Can anyone confirm that the former cop and union official John Matassa died in 1976? Also, that Pudgy Matassa's wife is named Judith?
Pudgy Matassa was said to have a cousin named Tommy Matassa. I imagine this was the Thomas P Matassa who was identified in the Tribune a number of times as having organized crime connections. This may be the Thomas P Matassa who died in 2018. who was the son of a Louis Matassa and a Josephine LoCicero. There was a Louis Matassa, born in 1914 and died 1983, who was the former secretary of the Chicago Truck Drivers union. That Louis Maatssa seems to have been the son of Ottavio Matassa and thus a brother of the John A Matassa that Antiliar posted.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:37 am
SolarSolano wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:25 am
PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:32 am I believe that James Inendino is the son of Joseph Inendino and Ida Cuttone. Joseph was born 1919 in Chicago to Vincenzo "James" Inendine (the original spelling on his birth document) and Rosa Iazzetta, of Acerra, Napoli. Ida was born 1919 in Chicago to Francesco Cuttone of Campobello di Mazara, Trapani and Angela Stallone of Castelvetrano, Trapani. The Inendine family lived in the Taylor St "Patch" while the Cuttones lived farther west in West Garfield Park.
Inedino grew up on Flournoy - his father died very young and he watched out for his younger siblings. I believe his father was named Sam Inendino.
Joseph Inendino had a brother named Sam. Given that their father was Vincenzo, more than one of the brothers might've named a son James. Joseph Inendino's son seems to have been named James V Inendino.
Yeah there is a Jim Inendino the lawyer, who is the cousin of Jimmy Inendino the loanshark. Jimmy Inendino the loanshark had a brother Sam and sister Susanne. I believe his other brother Sammy was also involved in the rackets for a time.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:57 am
Antiliar wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:25 am Are you certain that you have the correct parents for John A. Matassa Sr? This obit is from 1976 and seems to match:

According to Ottavio Matassa's naturalization he was from San Leiliceslavo, which is a typo for something. His World War II draft card has San Felitio. Slav.
Good catch. I should've hedged that one by stating "I believe" the way that I did for Jimmy I, as with these "younger" guys it's more difficult to establish a firm genealogy. There was another John A Matassa who died in 1951 in Chicago, who I thought was the son of Ottavio Matassa but died too early to be the John Matassa, Sr here. The one who died in 1951 now I think may have been an uncle or something. When I looked into Ottavio, he was from San Felice del Molise, which is an old settlement of Croatians (hence the "Slavo").

Can anyone confirm that the former cop and union official John Matassa died in 1976? Also, that Pudgy Matassa's wife is named Judith?
Pudgy Matassa was said to have a cousin named Tommy Matassa. I imagine this was the Thomas P Matassa who was identified in the Tribune a number of times as having organized crime connections. This may be the Thomas P Matassa who died in 2018. who was the son of a Louis Matassa and a Josephine LoCicero. There was a Louis Matassa, born in 1914 and died 1983, who was the former secretary of the Chicago Truck Drivers union. That Louis Maatssa seems to have been the son of Ottavio Matassa and thus a brother of the John A Matassa that Antiliar posted.
Per FBI files, the John Matassa who was Giancana's driver was John Anthony Matassa, so I think it's safe to conclude that the John A Matassa that Antiliar (thanks again) posted was him. His parents were Ottavio Matassa, of San Felice del Molise, Campobasso, Molise, and Martha Miletti (born 1893 in Italy to father pasquale Miletti). Martha should be Maddalena Miletti, who I was able to verify was born 1893 in Acquaviva Collecroce, Campobasso, Molise to Pasquale Miletti and Antonia Spadanuda. Ottavio and Martha initially settled in Waukesha, WI (where John Anthony was born in 1922, according to several documents) and subsequently moved to Chicago in the 1920s, where they lived on W DeKoven St in the Taylor St "Patch". The mother of Pudgy Matassa would then be Mary Ann Rita, born 1924 in Chicago and died 1996 (father named Anthony Rita). She may be the same Marianna Rita born in 1924 to Antonio and Maria Rita. On his 1926 US naturalization document, Antonio Rita's birthplace was written as "Riposudida". This is almost certainly Ripacandida, Potenza, Basilicata (where the surname Rita is also present).

The Tom Matassa mentioned as a cousin of Pudgy Matassa thus is most likely the Thomas P Matassa (died 2018) who was the son of Louis Matassa (brother of John A Matassa, Sr) and Josephine LoCicero.

Given that John Matassa, Sr was the driver and close associate of Giancana, it's interesting to note that he died suddenly in 1976 while out of state. the California Death Index has him as dead 05/07/1976 in Los Angeles. I have no idea what he died from, of course. Matassa, Sr was also under active investigation for union corruption prior to his death, with his name appearing in the Tribune several times in 1976. Maybe the stress killed him.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:02 pm
PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:32 am I believe that James Inendino is the son of Joseph Inendino and Ida Cuttone. Joseph was born 1919 in Chicago to Vincenzo "James" Inendine (the original spelling on his birth document) and Rosa Iazzetta, of Acerra, Napoli. Ida was born 1919 in Chicago to Francesco Cuttone of Campobello di Mazara, Trapani and Angela Stallone of Castelvetrano, Trapani. The Inendine family lived in the Taylor St "Patch" while the Cuttones lived farther west in West Garfield Park.
Inedino grew up on Flournoy - his father died very young and he watched out for his younger siblings. I believe his father was named Sam Inendino.
Joseph Inendino had a brother named Sam. Given that their father was Vincenzo, more than one of the brothers might've named a son James. Joseph Inendino's son seems to have been named James V Inendino.
Yeah there is a Jim Inendino the lawyer, who is the cousin of Jimmy Inendino the loanshark. Jimmy Inendino the loanshark had a brother Sam and sister Susanne. I believe his other brother Sammy was also involved in the rackets for a time.
Ok, that helps then. Sam J Inendino died 1958. His wife, Rose Russo, I believe died in 1979. They had three kids -- Suzanne (Dalesandro, died 2009), Jimmy, and Sammy Jr. Sam Sr was born in Chicago to Vincenzo Inendine and Rosa Iazzetta of Acerra. Rose Russo I believe was born in Chicago 1916 to Guido/Gaetano Russo and Assunta Panico, both of whom were from Acerra, Napoli. If this is Jimmy I's genealogy, then it looks like he is 100% Acerrese.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:19 pm
Ok, that helps then. Sam J Inendino died 1958. His wife, Rose Russo, I believe died in 1979. They had three kids -- Suzanne (Dalesandro, died 2009), Jimmy, and Sammy Jr. Sam Sr was born in Chicago to Vincenzo Inendine and Rosa Iazzetta of Acerra. Rose Russo I believe was born in Chicago 1916 to Guido/Gaetano Russo and Assunta Panico, both of whom were from Acerra, Napoli. If this is Jimmy I's genealogy, then it looks like he is 100% Acerrese.
99.9% sure that is him.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:23 pm
PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:19 pm
99.9% sure that is him.
Cool, thanks. I think that his cousin may be James V Inendino.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:56 pm

Per FBI files, the John Matassa who was Giancana's driver was John Anthony Matassa, so I think it's safe to conclude that the John A Matassa that Antiliar (thanks again) posted was him. His parents were Ottavio Matassa, of San Felice del Molise, Campobasso, Molise, and Martha Miletti (born 1893 in Italy to father pasquale Miletti). Martha should be Maddalena Miletti, who I was able to verify was born 1893 in Acquaviva Collecroce, Campobasso, Molise to Pasquale Miletti and Antonia Spadanuda. Ottavio and Martha initially settled in Waukesha, WI (where John Anthony was born in 1922, according to several documents) and subsequently moved to Chicago in the 1920s, where they lived on W DeKoven St in the Taylor St "Patch". The mother of Pudgy Matassa would then be Mary Ann Rita, born 1924 in Chicago and died 1996 (father named Anthony Rita). She may be the same Marianna Rita born in 1924 to Antonio and Maria Rita. On his 1926 US naturalization document, Antonio Rita's birthplace was written as "Riposudida". This is almost certainly Ripacandida, Potenza, Basilicata (where the surname Rita is also present).

The Tom Matassa mentioned as a cousin of Pudgy Matassa thus is most likely the Thomas P Matassa (died 2018) who was the son of Louis Matassa (brother of John A Matassa, Sr) and Josephine LoCicero.

Given that John Matassa, Sr was the driver and close associate of Giancana, it's interesting to note that he died suddenly in 1976 while out of state. the California Death Index has him as dead 05/07/1976 in Los Angeles. I have no idea what he died from, of course. Matassa, Sr was also under active investigation for union corruption prior to his death, with his name appearing in the Tribune several times in 1976. Maybe the stress killed him.
There is a photo of Tom "Skinny" Matassa on his obit page - he worked for Angelo Commito's company extorting Local 4 the Service Employees International Union for a health scheme and I believe he didn't end up serving time.
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/ch ... id=2759978
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:37 pm

There is a photo of Tom "Skinny" Matassa on his obit page - he worked for Angelo Commito's company extorting Local 4 the Service Employees International Union for a health scheme and I believe he didn't end up serving time.
Skinny and Pudgy. Before, and waaaay before.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

You know Pudgie has a hot water with a lemon.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Angelo Commito is a name that I have not heard in a while. For a while there was talk that he was a west coast representative of the Outfit but he was just a scammer in my opinion who specialized in health care fraud. Anyone know which crew he fell under and if he is still alive?
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Patrickgold wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:38 pm

Angelo Commito is a name that I have not heard in a while. For a while there was talk that he was a west coast representative of the Outfit but he was just a scammer in my opinion who specialized in health care fraud. Anyone know which crew he fell under and if he is still alive?
Angelo's guy was Al Pilotto from what I remember - but I don't know much about him beyond him having a son (an attorney of course) who is still in Chicago. They were providing health plans to unions across the country - those guys worked with Angelo Bruno and a lot of east coast bosses.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

SolarSolano wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:38 am

Angelo's guy was Al Pilotto from what I remember - but I don't know much about him beyond him having a son (an attorney of course) who is still in Chicago. They were providing health plans to unions across the country - those guys worked with Angelo Bruno and a lot of east coast bosses.
Did not know he was Al Pilotto’s guy. Thanks for the info. The two rumors I heard about him was that He was supposedly made into the San Fran family or he was the Chicago Outfit’s representative in Northern California bc he did live in the San Fran area, I believe Marin county. I have no idea if any of these rumors are true or not. I did see some other reports that he was involved in more than health care scams. Stuff like gun running and drugs.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Patrickgold wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:29 am
SolarSolano wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:38 am

Did not know he was Al Pilotto’s guy. Thanks for the info. The two rumors I heard about him was that He was supposedly made into the San Fran family or he was the Chicago Outfit’s representative in Northern California bc he did live in the San Fran area, I believe Marin county. I have no idea if any of these rumors are true or not. I did see some other reports that he was involved in more than health care scams. Stuff like gun running and drugs.
Comito was living in Norridge at least in the 80s - as well as California. I believe he was Chicago bred and was essentially chosen by Accardo to replace Leonard Fishman for the health plan company - this was an ongoing racket Chicago operated with the union health kickbacks - Comito was just the one who took it to other cities with Accardo's blessing and that's when they got indicted.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

John D'Arco, Sr was born 1912 in Chicago to Alfonso and Anna D'Arco of Salerno, Campania. Anna and Alfonso may have been cousins of some sort, as her maiden name seems to have been D'Arco as well. Anna entered the US in 1903 at the age of 16 under the name Anna D'Arco, en route from Salerno to relatives living in Yonkers. Anna and Alfonso were married 1907 in Manhattan and shortly thereafter settled in Chicago where their first child Antonio/Anthony D'Arco was born in 1908. The family lived in the Taylor St "Patch". Alfonso died 1927 in Chicago and Anna in 1930. Though she died in Chicago, she was not buried in Mt Carmel cemetery in Hillside, IL with her husband but rather in Yonkers (presumably where her family still lived).

John D'Arco, Sr married Antonia/Antoinette/Annette/Anna Briatta, who was born 1910 in Chicago to Giovanni Briatta and Maria Teresa Amelia of Cosenza province, Calabria. Giovanni was from Malvito, Cosenza and his wife may have been also; their eldest child Maria Raffaela Briatta/Mary Pastore was born in Malvito. Around 1903 they arrived in the US and settled in Chicago (haven't confirmed arrival presumably due to spelling errors with the surname. "Briatta" as such does not appear on any records Italy that I've seen and the family in Chicago used other spelling such as "Briotta" and "Breotta", though those don't seem to be the correct spellings either). One of Antonia's siblings was Luigi/Louis Briatta, born in Chicago in 1908. This was the same Louie Briatta who was the father of Mary Lou Briatta and the father-in-law of John Daley. In 1959 the Tribune quoted Louie Briatta, then 51, as stating that he was D'Arco's brother-in-law. The Tribune also noted in a different article that Briatta was related to "Frankie the X" Esposito through marriage.

EDIT: Pretty sure that the "correct"/original spelling is actually Braiotta.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:47 pm John D'Arco, Sr was born 1912 in Chicago to Alfonso and Anna D'Arco of Salerno, Campania. Anna and Alfonso may have been cousins of some sort, as her maiden name seems to have been D'Arco as well. Anna entered the US in 1903 at the age of 16 under the name Anna D'Arco, en route from Salerno to relatives living in Yonkers. Anna and Alfonso were married 1907 in Manhattan and shortly thereafter settled in Chicago where their first child Antonio/Anthony D'Arco was born in 1908. The family lived in the Taylor St "Patch". Alfonso died 1927 in Chicago and Anna in 1930. Though she died in Chicago, she was not buried in Mt Carmel cemetery in Hillside, IL with her husband but rather in Yonkers (presumably where her family still lived).

John D'Arco, Sr married Antonia/Antoinette/Annette/Anna Briatta, who was born 1910 in Chicago to Giovanni Briatta and Maria Teresa Amelia of Cosenza province, Calabria. Giovanni was from Malvito, Cosenza and his wife may have been also; their eldest child Maria Raffaela Briatta/Mary Pastore was born in Malvito. Around 1903 they arrived in the US and settled in Chicago (haven't confirmed arrival presumably due to spelling errors with the surname. "Briatta" as such does not appear on any records Italy that I've seen and the family in Chicago used other spelling such as "Briotta" and "Breotta", though those don't seem to be the correct spellings either). One of Antonia's siblings was Luigi/Louis Briatta, born in Chicago in 1908. This was the same Louie Briatta who was the father of Mary Lou Briatta and the father-in-law of John Daley. In 1959 the Tribune quoted Louie Briatta, then 51, as stating that he was D'Arco's brother-in-law. The Tribune also noted in a different article that Briatta was related to "Frankie the X" Esposito through marriage.

EDIT: Pretty sure that the "correct"/original spelling is actually Braiotta.
To follow up, the surname Braiotta is confirmed in Malvito and Louie Briatta's baptismal record lists him as "Luigi Braiotta".