Joseph “Little Joe” DeFede Former Lucchese Acting Boss

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Joseph “Little Joe” DeFede Former Lucchese Acting Boss

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:10 am
Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:24 pm
Little_Al1991 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:03 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:18 pm Was he a Capo? I thought he went direct from Soldier to Acting Boss in the post early 1990s chaos.

Pogo
DeFede confirmed that he was a Capo while testifying.

Did he? I don't recall seeing that is in the coverage of his testimony. Can anyone confirm?

Pogo
Here’s a link to the article where I got the information about him being a Capo. https://nypost.com/2002/10/29/mob-rat-c ... er-family/ Thank you for Ur great posts Pogo, we all truly appreciate it.Also Michael DeSantis is the one who went from being a soldier and then the Acting Boss.I think that’s the first time that happened in the Lucchese Family.

Thanks for the link. Though I have to wonder if Defede actually said he held a Capo rank or if paper was just editorializing.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

I believe he was living in the Sarasota area when he died. 80% of the rats live in FL .the rest AZ. lol
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:44 am
Little_Al1991 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:10 am
Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:24 pm
Little_Al1991 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:03 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:18 pm Was he a Capo? I thought he went direct from Soldier to Acting Boss in the post early 1990s chaos.

Pogo
DeFede confirmed that he was a Capo while testifying.
Did he? I don't recall seeing that is in the coverage of his testimony. Can anyone confirm?

Pogo
Here’s a link to the article where I got the information about him being a Capo. https://nypost.com/2002/10/29/mob-rat-c ... er-family/ Thank you for Ur great posts Pogo, we all truly appreciate it.Also Michael DeSantis is the one who went from being a soldier and then the Acting Boss.I think that’s the first time that happened in the Lucchese Family.

Thanks for the link. Though I have to wonder if Defede actually said he held a Capo rank or if paper was just editorializing.

Pogo
When DeFede said “I was the money man in the gang.” It was almost a hint to me that he was referring to being a Capo but yes ur right it could be editorialising.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Not for nothing but DeFede sounds like someone who probably blew through money and would have fucked up any dollar amount that came his way. Would not surprise me in the least if he was a big gambler and was also holding down a girlfriend and maybe even more kids than what were mentioned in the article. Even if those conservative ballpark figures are accurate, even factoring in the high cost of living in the region, even factoring in a wife and two kids... $250K a year NET without taxes in the mid-90s, plus I would bet the house they lived in was completely paid off... that's nothing to sneeze at. Some of these old timers in Brooklyn and Queens don't know how good they have it, living in a full single family house that was purchased generations ago for next to nothing compared to what things cost today. Him and his wife both grew up in NY - would bet they had property.

If he went into the program flat broke and lives off of SSI and whatever else the government throws his way, that's his fault. Someone else with a better head on their shoulders making the same amount of money would have had a different situation going on
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

to nail the time line of him becoming boss is interesting. im guessing its after casso flips in march 94. amuso had to take back whatever power he gave casso. weed out any guy that was loyal to casso. so he landed on defede. he should have seen what happend to darco, so weird to flip after you do your time. just go into the wind leave town.
Dapper_Don
Straightened out

Post by Dapper_Don »

newera_212 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:13 pm Some of these old timers in Brooklyn and Queens don't know how good they have it, living in a full single family house that was purchased generations ago for next to nothing compared to what things cost today.
Tell me about it I see it everyday by me in South Brooklyn, little rinky dink houses starting $1.2M
"Bill had to go, he was getting too powerful. If Allie Boy went away on a gun charge, Bill would have took over the family” - Joe Campy testimony about Jackie DeRoss explaining Will Bill murder
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Pmac2 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:33 am to nail the time line of him becoming boss is interesting. im guessing its after casso flips in march 94. amuso had to take back whatever power he gave casso. weed out any guy that was loyal to casso. so he landed on defede. he should have seen what happend to darco, so weird to flip after you do your time. just go into the wind leave town.
It was around 1994 when DeFede became the Acting Boss though it wasn’t because of Casso’s cooperation.It’s because he wanted someone who was loyal and weak, someone who he could control because Amuso wanted to keep ahold of the family.DeFede was someone who wouldn’t make a move against him and plus, it’s not like DeFede could do it because the other guys on the street would never back him
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

Wiseguy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:58 pm
Dapper_Don wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:22 pmSpeaking of money matters, Defede said the total take of the approximately 100-member Luchese family over the four years he headed it was about $6 million.
While figuring money is one of the toughest things when it comes to the mob...and while I actually hold to the more conservative figures in OC income estimates...the idea that the Luccheses brought in only $6 million over a 4 year period in the 1990s is just absurd.

And for the record, DeFede's $250,000 a year 1994-1998 would be about $450,000 a year today.
I wonder if that $6 million is the amount of money kicked up to the family administration from capos and members during that time period, or if it’s the total amount the family grossed on the street from all rackets. The former makes a lot more sense. Like, maybe Defede just did a bad job of collecting from his captains during that time.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

stubbs wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:29 am
Wiseguy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:58 pm
Dapper_Don wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:22 pmSpeaking of money matters, Defede said the total take of the approximately 100-member Luchese family over the four years he headed it was about $6 million.
While figuring money is one of the toughest things when it comes to the mob...and while I actually hold to the more conservative figures in OC income estimates...the idea that the Luccheses brought in only $6 million over a 4 year period in the 1990s is just absurd.

And for the record, DeFede's $250,000 a year 1994-1998 would be about $450,000 a year today.
I wonder if that $6 million is the amount of money kicked up to the family administration from capos and members during that time period, or if it’s the total amount the family grossed on the street from all rackets. The former makes a lot more sense. Like, maybe Defede just did a bad job of collecting from his captains during that time.

Yeah that would make more sense. No doubt the family as a whole grossed a lot more than 6 million in 4 years (even adjusted for inflation).

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

So steve crea became probaly official underboss after casso is striped in 94 to. I mean how weak could defede been if hes giving crea orders. I wonder who his muscle was
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

In 5 yrs he becomes acting boss. Thats probaly a record nope there was gerry lang
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Ralph Natale was made and immediately became boss.
nizarsoccer
Straightened out

Post by nizarsoccer »

Snakes wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:58 pm Ralph Natale was made and immediately became boss.
No he was made years before by Gambino and Bruno.
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

Snakes wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:58 pm Ralph Natale was made and immediately became boss.
LUISI, and Merlino , Scarfo Sr , Stanfa ... philly was so big it had 5 bosses :D
MightyDR
Straightened out

Post by MightyDR »

One thing I found interesting while reading about Defede was that he testified that he attended eight Commission meetings between 1994-1998.
https://imgur.com/a/jWgzmnB

Also, he inducted a member of the Tanglewood Boys into the Luccheses.
https://www.theintelligencer.com/news/a ... 469475.php