Last time a sitting boss took part in a murder?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Last time a sitting boss took part in a murder?

Post by Adam »

I was rereading some old Philly articles and a law enforcement guy mentioned how odd it was that Frank Martines was the shooter in the John Veasey hit attempt, and I remembered Gravano mentioning he got some flack for being as high up as he was and still involved in murders.....so it got me thinking the last time an actual boss was involved in a murder/murder attempt. As in present or directly involved. And I didn't want to cheat and throw out Gotti being present at Sparks, or Merlino probably involved in the hit attempt on Stanfa. They weren't bosses then. But I was thinking maybe Dominic Brooklier if he actually was on the other line when Bompensiero was killed in the phone booth like Fratianno claimed. And I can think of at least two cases from 1947 and 1950 where the Detroit bosses would be present for planned murders so they could watch their kids make their bones. Which is still pretty messed up. But I was trying to come up with some times it might have happened. Don't think it ever happened in the Colombo War, and I didnt' think Amuso got directly involved after he became boss. I was thinking maybe there was a scenario where one of the burglars who robbed Accardo's place may have been held captive for him to go see him briefly before they killed him, but that's pure speculation.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Re: Last time a sitting boss took part in a murder?

Post by chin_gigante »

If the timeline is correct, Amuso was made boss of the Lucchese family in October 1986 and participated in the Luongo murder a month later
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Joe Ligambi may be a possibility. Roger Vella implicated him in the Ronnie Turchi murder but he didn't say what role he played in it so he may not have been physically present. And Ligambi would have been Acting Boss so I don't know if you want to count that.

Pogo
Last edited by Pogo The Clown on Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:37 am Joe Ligambi may be a possibility. Roger Vella implicated him in the Ronnie Turchi murder but he didn't say what role he played in it so he may not have been physically present. And Kigambi would have been Acting Boss so I don't know if you want to count that.

Pogo
I think acting boss counts. We're not talking about a ton of possibilities.
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

Joe Zerilli help his nephew make his bones in 1950.

I think there are many cases in Sicilian mafia
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

Eline2015 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:45 am Joe Zerilli help his nephew make his bones in 1950.

I think there are many cases in Sicilian mafia
Yeah that was the last one I was absolutely sure about. Joe Zerilli at the 1950 Jack George murder.
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

And I was thinking of US bosses. I'm sure in Italy it's different. But I had people who I could picture being involved, like Anastasia between 1951-1957. That wouldn't surprise me at all.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

At the time of the spilotro murders carlisi and difronzo were boss and underboss and both were there and took part in the spilotro murders
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Nurzhamba
Straightened out

Post by Nurzhamba »

Frank Salemme's son strangled Steve Di Sarro in front of him, it was somewhere in the early 1990s
Browniety86
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Browniety86 »

Wasnt Martines UB and the hit attempt on Veasey supposedly in a hotel room under the premise of making Veasey? Would explain why the under boss would be given the hit with the administration having to be present to make John Veasey?
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

was gonna say frank salemme to. he was boss at the time him and his kid and some other guy whacked a guy rite in his own house sicko
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Browniety86 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:52 pm Wasnt Martines UB and the hit attempt on Veasey supposedly in a hotel room under the premise of making Veasey? Would explain why the under boss would be given the hit with the administration having to be present to make John Veasey?

Veasey was already made at the time. They lured him under the pretense that they were going to teach him to run a gambling business. Forgot it if was bookmaking or numbers.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Browniety86
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Browniety86 »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:58 pm
Browniety86 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:52 pm Wasnt Martines UB and the hit attempt on Veasey supposedly in a hotel room under the premise of making Veasey? Would explain why the under boss would be given the hit with the administration having to be present to make John Veasey?

Veasey was already made at the time. They lured him under the pretense that they were going to teach him to run a gambling business. Forgot it if was bookmaking or numbers.

Pogo
Thanks Pogo. I vaguely remember the story from memory. Never really been intrigued by the Philly family but they do have some shooters, I'll give them that...
mpl0215
On Record

Post by mpl0215 »

Pogo The Clown wrote:

Pogo
And the plastic on the floor they told him was bc the place was being painted lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

Nicky Scarfo was present when his nephew whacked Falcone in that apartment. I remember the quote was that Scarfo said 'I love this shit'.