HBO series: Mob Queens

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ed
Straightened out

HBO series: Mob Queens

Post by Ed »

I've heard everything now. Lena Dunham, who I understand is dreadful, is writing and producing an HBO series on Vito Genovese's wife, Anna. It will focus on the salacious aspects of Anna's life, including her alleged promiscuity and lesbianism and her role in managing drag queen bars. It will also explore how she "betrayed" her husband and testified against him in court. Writer Dennis Lehane (who has a better reputation) is also involved. I imagine the writers will fill the series with some facts, but it will be primarily unverifiable nonsense, and very sensationalist.

Because Dunham is involved, I imagine my daughter's friends will tune in and begin arguing with me afterwards that Lucky Luciano invented the Commission or Meyer Lanksy died with $100 million in the bank. Or women always controlled the Mafia.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -show.html

The series is based on a podcast.

https://mobqueens.com
Ninored
Associate

Re: HBO series: Mob Queens

Post by Ninored »

There's no point in watching anything that has to do with, that radical feminist Lena Dunham . Watch her use this situation to demonize men in whatever possible way she can, because that's all that fucking fat bitch does.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

If I made a list of people I'd like to throw off the roof of a very tall building, Dunham would be on that list.
All roads lead to New York.
TwoPiece
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TwoPiece »

jesus christ... i also hate lena dunham but i do trust dennis lehane's talent and tbh the premise is at least a pretty original angle. i'll give it a shot at least.
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

Yeah she sucks but the idea is quite good. Anna G was ahead of her time for sure and an interesting woman.
“In Italian, La Cosa Nostra is also known as ‘our headache.’” -Jerry Anguilo
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I'd like to see Robert Davi reprise Genovese. Amazingly he's 'donned' the role twice before, first in "Gangster Wars" in the early 1980's and more recently in the Appalachin film with David Arquette.
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

Not sure why people have rage against an actress and want her to be harmed. Relax.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:39 am Amazingly he's 'donned' the role twice before...
Have you met Dr. Spagola? Amazing guy. Great guy. Gave a guy 6 months to live, couldnt pay his bill, gave him another 6.
Adam wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:15 am Not sure why people have rage against an actress and want her to be harmed. Relax.
Have you seen Lena Dunham?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:06 am
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:39 am Amazingly he's 'donned' the role twice before...
Have you met Dr. Spagola? Amazing guy. Great guy. Gave a guy 6 months to live, couldnt pay his bill, gave him another 6.
Adam wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:15 am Not sure why people have rage against an actress and want her to be harmed. Relax.
I've seen some of her stuff. Why would I want her to be physically harmed or die?
bluehouse
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by bluehouse »

So instead of making a series about VG that would actually be interesting they want to make it about his wife.Let me guess they are going to say that she was the real brains and power behind vito and she was running the crime family
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

bluehouse wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:30 pm So instead of making a series about VG that would actually be interesting they want to make it about his wife.Let me guess they are going to say that she was the real brains and power behind vito and she was running the crime family
It's HBO. They took what would normally be a traditional mob story(that would have failed because they tried it with Gotti) and turned it into a story about therapy/family/depression......and it worked. The Sopranos. As weird as it sounds here, to most people Vito Genovese's story isn't that interesting. He was a prohibition gangster, got busted and died in prison in the 60s. Woohoo! There a million of those. But if you can incorporate an interesting wife story....it might actually work. HBO doesn't make stuff for mob buffs. They make stuff for a broader audience.

And again I find this random hatred for Lena Dunham to be pretty fucking pathetic. I can't imagine what kind of loser freaks out over her.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Adam wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:32 pm And again I find this random hatred for Lena Dunham to be pretty fucking pathetic. I can't imagine what kind of loser freaks out over her.
Nobody is "freaking out." She's simply a no-talent, feminist hack who would serve society better by going SPLAT on the sidewalk. That's all.
All roads lead to New York.
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

Wiseguy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:35 pm
Adam wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:32 pm And again I find this random hatred for Lena Dunham to be pretty fucking pathetic. I can't imagine what kind of loser freaks out over her.
Nobody is "freaking out." She's simply a no-talent, feminist hack who would serve society better by going SPLAT on the sidewalk. That's all.
Yeah. Clearly not freaking out. I'd suggest keeping it to the OC stuff Wiseguy, where we in general respect your opinion. I don't think it carries over to the real world. At least based on this.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Adam wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:32 pm
bluehouse wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:30 pm So instead of making a series about VG that would actually be interesting they want to make it about his wife.Let me guess they are going to say that she was the real brains and power behind vito and she was running the crime family
And again I find this random hatred for Lena Dunham to be pretty fucking pathetic. I can't imagine what kind of loser freaks out over her.
Seriously.

A few people have recommended the podcast to me. I'll def check that out first. And, as someone above noted, if Dennis Lehane is involved, it will at least have top notch writing.
Trident
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Trident »

Adam wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:37 am
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:06 am
I've seen some of her stuff. Why would I want her to be physically harmed or die?
Maybe they just don’t like her and saying they hope she dies gets the point across they really don’t like her. I doubt they actually want to commit murder.

Lena Dunham being involved is very concerning, and I’ve been wondering if it would be worth my time to watch. I see where they are coming from.