Vincent Asaro

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Re: Vincent Asaro

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Anyone know when Valanti Jnr got his button?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

SonnyBlackstein wrote:He won't be clipped in this day and age but prospects for advancement, even in that crew, are capped.
Don't be so sure. Plenty of guys who's fathers/son's ratted are doing fine.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Examples Tommy?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Sonny Franzese is one. Both of his sons flipped yet he was still promoted to UnderBoss.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

SonnyBlackstein wrote:Examples Tommy?

Pittsburgh Capo Joe Sica's grandson, Joey Rosa, flipped in 1989 and testified against Chucky Porter and Louis Raucci. Mike Genovese was caught on audio recording giving Sica a pep talk and telling him it wasn't his fault.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Sonny Franzese I think is an exception Pogo.

Good example cheers JCB :)
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

SonnyBlackstein wrote:Examples Tommy?
As was mentioned above, Franzese. Joey Giampa's step son ratted and he's one of Crea's top guys. Dom Grande's dad ratted yet they made him and he's very close to the top guys. Can't think off the top of my head but I'm sure there are a lot out there. Wasn't Riggi's step son a rat as well and got Crea busted

If your dad turns informant on the family and you turn your back on him, that shows commitment to CN to me, I don't know how these guys think though.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

there are allot. Vincent "The Fish" Cafaro 's son stayed with the Genovese Mob after his dad ratted on Fat Tony. John Riggi's son inlaw ratted on Crea and the Decavalcante mob. I think Also Louie Ricci's son ratted. Also Greg DePalma's son was a Rat. John Gotti's turned Rat. Vinny Salanardi tuned rat on the Luchese Family. His father stayed with the Lucchese mob. Anthony Accetturo Sr ratted. Anthony Jr stayed with the Lucchese as a made guy.
willychichi
Full Patched

Post by willychichi »

Feds Again Fail To Make Their Case In A Big Mob Trial

By George Anastasia

Have the feds lost their mojo when it comes to the mob?

That's certainly a reasonable question after another organized crime prosecution ended with a not guilty verdict last week. The acquittal of Vince Asaro, an 80-year-old reputed mob capo, in a case in federal court in Brooklyn, is the latest example of federal authorities coming up short in a high profile Mafia trial.

The same could be said for the last three Mafia prosecutions in Philadelphia where, at best, the feds could only claim partial victories.

Asaro, an alleged member of the Bonanno Crime Family, was charged with murder, extortion and robbery, including being one of the organizers of the infamous Lufthansa Airline heist celebrated in the movie Goodfellas. Mobsters made off with more than $5 million in cash and $1 million in jewelry after hitting a storage facility at JFK Airport in 1978.

While the robbery was allegedly set in motion by mob associate James "Jimmy the Gent" Burke (Robert DeNiro played a character based on Burke in the film), no one had ever been charged with the crime until Asaro was indicted two years ago. By then most of the others involved were dead.
Burke died in prison after being convicted of other offenses.

The Asaro trial was billed by the New York Times as the last big mob trial in New York, a development based in part on the steady demise of the American Mafia and in equal part on a shift in prosecutorial interest to terrorism, drug trafficking and corruption.

Those factors, along with a growing belief that jurors are demanding more than just the testimony of paid mob informants, may have played a role in the not guilty verdict that appeared to shock Asaro as much as it did the prosecutors.

Read more: http://www.bigtrial.net/2015/11/feds-ag ... .html#more
Obama's a pimp he coulda never outfought Trump, but I didn't know it till this day that it was Putin all along.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

How the Feds fucked this one up is beyond me as a 2nd year law student could have won this case. LOL...they don't know what they think they know.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

New York City wise guys are whacking old ways to avoid prison
Mary Murphy
November 19, 2015

(News Video at link below)

OZONE PARK— John Gotti’s old Bergin Hunt and Fish Club on 101st Avenue in Ozone Park, Queens was turned into “Uncle Louie G’s” store for homemade Italian ices and ice cream. But even that didn’t work out, and when PIX 11 visited, we noticed gates over the windows and a “For Rent” sign posted.

Just another piece of evidence that things just aren’t what they used to be for New York’s five mob families.

When 80 year old Vincent Asaro, a reputed capo in the Bonanno Crime Family, was acquitted on all charges last week in the 1978 Lufthansa heist, it got us to thinking about the state of La Cosa Nostra, which means “Our Thing” in Italian.

Asaro’s trial got more attention than most mob prosecutions in years, probably because the Lufthansa case was a major part of the plot in the film classic, “Goodfellas,” directed by Martin Scorsese.

“They don’t want the notoriety they once had,” observed Inspector John Desenopolis, Commanding Officer of the NYPD’s Organized Crime Investigation Division, known as OCID.

“These are secret societies that have learned,” Desenopolis added. “We were able to put people away for long periods of time,” the Inspector said. “They realized, and learned, how to adapt.”

That meant one business method had to radically change.

“For the most part, the mobsters have stopped killing people,” veteran journalist and author, Jerry Capeci, told PIX 11 Investigates. “The mob has a rule: no more bodies in the streets.”

Capeci conceived and writes for a weekly, online site, “Gangland News.com.”

In the late 80’s and early 90’s, several mafia families were at war with each other, and the bodies kept turning up: behind steering wheels, in marshes, or sprawled across the front seat of cars.

The mob hit that started so much of the trouble was the unsanctioned execution of Gambino godfather, Paul Castellano, outside Sparks Steakhouse, right before Christmas 1985.

Mob turncoat, Salvatore “Sammy Bull” Gravano, later testified at the trial of John Gotti that he and Gotti watched the brazen hit take place from a car near Third Avenue and 46th Street in Manhattan.

Pretty soon, FBI agents noticed Gotti receiving visits from most of the major mobsters in the Gambino family. He was seen strolling down Mulberry Street, where the Gambinos’ Ravenite Social Club was located.

It wasn’t long before Gotti was wearing $2,000 suits and making the cover of Time Magazine.

Gotti was brought down by Sammy Bull, who was his underboss, and the hours of audio recordings made in his club.

Because of the stiff sentences available to prosecutors under the federal, RICO law—a number of indicted mobsters broke the Mafia code of silence and became government witnesses.

The highest-ranking “made man” to do so was Joe Massino, former boss of the Bonanno Crime Family.

“Traditional organized criminals in New York City are still engaged in violent crimes like extortion,” Inspector Desenopolis told PIX 11. “They’re involved in gambling, prostitution, drug sales and pill diversion.”

When the Inspector talks about pill diversion, he’s addressing a social ill PIX 11 Investigates has reported on extensively: the abuse of prescription painkillers and the black market sale of the pills.

The opioids are highly addictive and often a gateway to heroin addiction.

When we asked the Inspector to specify the pills organized criminals were selling, he replied, “Oxycontin and (other) prescription medication.”

The frequency of mob prosecutions has certainly slowed down.

After the 9/11 terror attacks, the FBI was forced to change its investigative priorities.

“There’s no question the FBI has downgraded the importance of going after the wiseguys in New York,” Capeci said. “They used to have five squads to go after the five crime families. They now have two.”

Capeci added all of the RICO prosecutions took their toll on the families.

“In the last fifteen to twenty years, a lot of top mobsters have flipped and cooperated,” Capeci noted. “All of these factors have combined to make the mob much less influential than it ever was before.”

But there’s evidence of re-building, and signs the gangsters got involved in other kinds of ventures.

“We also see some mortgage fraud cases,” Inspector Desenopolis said. “And Internet gambling.”

When we asked the Inspector about whether the mob still has involvement in the Fulton Fish Market, which was moved to the Bronx from downtown Manhattan, he told PIX the city’s Business Integrity Commission does its best to keep wiseguys out.

“They’ll be denied the application, based on association with criminal activity,” Inspector Desenopolis said. “They still try to get in.”

The NYPD’s Organized Crime Investigation Division deals with gangsters from many different ethnic backgrounds and organizations. Some of those groups get more involved in things like medical insurance fraud and staged accidents.

Detectives can find a scam pretty much anywhere in this city.

But the public remains fascinated with La Cosa Nostra. Gotti’s namesake son, John “Junior” Gotti, said he left the mob and wrote a book called “Shadow of my Father.”

Hollywood star, John Travolta, is supposed to start filming a movie based on the father and son relationship, starting in January 2016.

Gotti’s daughter, Victoria, once had a reality TV show with her three sons.

But most of those associated with the Gambino organization prefer to stay out of the limelight.

Several law enforcement sources say the crime family was being run by Sicilian-born Domenico Cefalu, but the younger Francesco Cali—who also has Sicilian roots—was offered a spot on the Mob Commission. One source told us Cali turned it down.

Some local journalists reported this year that Cali had ascended to the top spot with the Gambino family.

Two people who were prominent players with the Gambino crime family are not doing so well these days.
Carmine Agnello, Gotti’s former son-in-law, was busted in Cleveland, Ohio and accused of running a three million dollar, stolen car “chop shop” scheme.

It was the same kind of business that sent him to jail in New York.

As for Sammy Bull? He barely did any jail time, after confessing to 19 murders, but he’s been back in prison in Arizona—doing 20 years for running an Ecstasy ring there.

http://pix11.com/2015/11/19/new-york-ci ... id-prison/
All roads lead to New York.
Garbageman
Straightened out

Post by Garbageman »

Capeci's latest writeup about it reads like a disgruntled prosecutor wrote it. Lots of crying and sympathizing with the feds.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Garbageman
Straightened out

Post by Garbageman »

I think maybe he's got a hard on for Argentieri lol

Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

Garbageman wrote:Capeci's latest writeup about it reads like a disgruntled prosecutor wrote it. Lots of crying and sympathizing with the feds.

Sounded more like everyone on these forums (including myself) to me, baffled by the verdict and the jury. Also he or whoever wrote that since some don't think he writes it anymore, had more reason to be baffled since he had already heard the testimony from the two very credible (IMO) subpoenaed witnesses who allegedly looked after Asaros money.

If anything i found it highly critical of the prosecutors by comparing it to Gottis 87 trial, must have missed all that fed-sympathizing.
Garbageman
Straightened out

Post by Garbageman »

Camo wrote:
Garbageman wrote:Capeci's latest writeup about it reads like a disgruntled prosecutor wrote it. Lots of crying and sympathizing with the feds.

Sounded more like everyone on these forums (including myself) to me, baffled by the verdict and the jury. Also he or whoever wrote that since some don't think he writes it anymore, had more reason to be baffled since he had already heard the testimony from the two very credible (IMO) subpoenaed witnesses who allegedly looked after Asaros money.

If anything i found it highly critical of the prosecutors by comparing it to Gottis 87 trial, must have missed all that fed-sympathizing.
I totally agree that Capeci didn't write this. It's definitely written by someone other than him, at this point.

Just to clarify, it seems to me that whoever wrote the article actually believed in the case the FBI made, but blames the prosecutors & a jury with "something wrong with it" for the not guilty verdict. Sounds like a disgruntled prosecutor crying "bad jury" to me.

He's sympathizing with the FBI by claiming the case was winnable in the first place. With all this supposed evidence they supplied that should've convinced any jury to convict. Oh well, win some lose some.

These guys brought a 40 year old case to trial. Because no one was ever really charged in Lufthansa. That's it. The entire fiasco comes off as desperate and headline seeking/promotion seeking behavior.

Now, if I'm thought of as being wrong here and others disagree, that's ok. This Asaro guy is a bad man, a lifetime criminal. My reasoning is based on personal experience and the fact that for every Asaro who is probably guilty but got lucky, there are thousands of others who aren't guilty and get fucked by these career seeking headline whores. So fuck em, they got screwed by their own filthy system... and I enjoyed watching.

I've seen these people go after 94 year olds because the guy beat their last case and it stung their asses. You can rest assured that these sourpusses will not forget and if Asaro continues breathing long enough, he will be back in court.