Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by PolackTony »

I have seen it claimed that Outfit associate (possibly made per Antilliar) Joseph Jerome "Jerry" Scalise is related to old-time member Giovanni Scalise. This is not factual. As Antilliar has already noted here, Giovanni Scalise was from Castelvetrano, but Jerry Scalise's surname is of Calabrese origin. Jerry Scalise was born in Chicago in 1937 to Louis Scalise and Violet Opelka (of Czech/Bohemian ancestry). Louis Scalise was born in Chicago in 1917 to Rosario Scalise and Rosa Madia. Rosa Madia was born in Sorbo San Basile, Catanzaro, Calabria. The birth certificate for daughter Carmella Scalise (and some other documents) list Rosario Scalise as born in Catanzaro. Given that the surname Scalise is common in Sorbo San Basile, he was very likely from this comune as well. These Scalises were all from the Bridgeport/Chinatown area. This is significant as decades later we see a group of Calabresi "zip" drug dealers associated with the Bridgeport area who were also from Sorbo San Basile -- The Infelise brothers and Aldo Fratto. Sorbo San Basile is in the area of Taverna, where Lou Fratto's family was from. Further, the Catezones in Bridgeport (e.g., "Richie the Cat" Catezone) hailed from the neighboring comune of San Pietro Magisano (I detail some of this in the "zips" thread). Not to argue against a strawman, but if anyone has the idea, latent or otherwise, that these Chicago guys were completely "Americanized" and didn't retain close ties to Italy, this was often clearly not the case (the "zips" thread I think also goes a long way toward showing this to be false). Relevant to this discussion, there were a number of Scalises from Sorbo San Basile who settled in Bridgeport in the second half of the 20th century.

The Chinatown/Bridgeport mob had some strong Calabrese foundations, of course, going back to the Vinci brothers and Bruno Roti Sr (the Rotis being another Calabrese family who maintained ties to their relatives back in Italy for decades after emigration; in this case to Simbario, Vibo Valentia, which has long been a 'Ndrangheta hotbed).

Given that Scalise used to work for Al Tocco, it also may be relevant that while the Scalise family has always been centered in Bridgeport, Jerry's grandfather Rosario Scalise was living in the Roseland area of the Far Southside before his death in 1957.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Nicholas J D'Andrea was born 1931 in Chicago Heights to Nicola D'Andrea Sr and Domenica Savaiano. Nicola Sr was from Pizzone, Isernia, Molise while Nick Jr's mother was apparently born in France to parents from Pizzone. Nicola Sr's father was named Giuseppe D'Andrea but I don't know that he was the union leader "Joseph" D'Andrea gunned down in Chicago in 1914, though Joseph D'Andrea was also from Pizzone. Nick Jr's sister Antoinette D'Andrea married Frank Luzi. Frank Luzi was born in Chicago Heights to Ruggiero Luzi of San Benedetto de Tronto, Ascoli Picheno, Marche and Teresa Liparota of Lamezia Terme (formerly Sambiase), Catanzaro, Calabria. Teresa Liparota was Frank LaPorte's sister. Frank Luzi's brother John Luzi was the father of author Matt Luzi. One will recall that the Foscos were also from Pizzone. Worth noting that when Nicola D'Andrea Jr arrived at Ellis Island in 1906 bound for Chicago, several Foscos from Pizzone were on the ship, also bound for Chicago. From a document I found for the Joseph D'Andrea killed in 1914, his wife at that time was a Fosco.

Johnny Apes was born Giovanni Monteleone in 1924 in Sambuca di Sicilia, Agrigento to Maria Sicalo (Scialo/Maniscalco/Mangano in various documents) and August/Agostino Monteleone (born in Reservation, LA to parents from Sambuca di Sicilia).
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Gerald Carusiello was born 1932 in Melrose Park to Joseph Carusiello (parents from Trivigno, Potenza, Basilicata) and Carmella Bracco (parents from Senerchia, Avellino, Campania).

Longtime Chicago alderman and Outfit member Vito Marzullo was also from Senerchia.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Robert Remigio/Joseph Ansani was born 1904 in Chicago to Arturo/Arthur/Robert Ansani and Grazia Maria Flosi, both from Lucca province, Toscana.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

The Southside DeStefanos (Vito, Rocco, Frank) were born in Chicago to Michele de Stefano of Sassano, Salerno, Campania and Rosa/Filomena Curto of Barile, Potenza, Basilicata.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Sylvester Joseph Agoglia was born in NYC to Rocco Michele Agoglia of Savoia di Lucania (older name was Salvia), Potenza, Basilicata and Amelia/Emilia Cupeta (Cubeta? Copetta?) of undetermined Italian birth.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Dominick DiBella was born 1902 in Franklin, LA to Giuseppe Di Bella and Rosalia Calabrese, both of Alimena, Palermo province. Both parents' families hailed from the area around Alimena/Pietrana on the border of what is today Palermo, Enna, and Caltanissetta provinces (near to Resuttana, Santa Caterina Villarmosa, Villarosa).

Dominick Nuccio was born in Chicago in 1895 to Filippo Nuccio (probably the origin of Dom Brancato's nickname "Little Libby") and Maria Calato. Filippo was born in Cattolica Eraclea, Agrigento, though it seems likely that his family was either originally from or at least moved to Vicari, Palermo province. Maria seems to have most likely been from Vicari. Dom DiBella's brother Joseph DiBella Jr married a Frances Nuccio. She may have been a cousin of Dom Nuccio, but I haven't verified a connection.

Dominick Brancato was born 1906 in New Orleans to Domenico Brancato Sr Anna/Antoinette Polizzi of Mezzojuso, Palermo province.

Frank Lisciandrello was born 1918 in Chicago to Michelangelo Lisciandrello and Caterina Gualtieri, both from Palermo province. The family could've been from both/either Campofelice di Roccella or Vicari. Frank's older brother Giuseppe/Joseph was born in Vicari, while their sister Rosalia/Rosie was born in Campofelice (worth noting that Rosie married a Vincenzo Accardo from Gibellina, Trapani; no indication of any relation to Tony Accardo). Upon arrival at Ellis Island en route to her husband in Chicago, Caterina Gualtieri stated that her last place of residence was Vicari.

Michael Joseph Glitta was born 1920 in Chicago to Domenico "Sharkey" Gliatto and Serafina Gliatto (this seems to have been her maiden name, so they may have been cousins of some sort), both from Greci, Avellino, Campania. Greci ("Greeks") is so called as it was a settlement of the Arbereshe, old Albanian-speaking minorities in Southern Italy.

James V Allegretti/Vincenzo Policheri was born 1905 in Oliveto Citra, Salerno, Campania (near to both Ricigliano and Senerchia) to Domenico Policheri and Lucia Rio. Younger brother Benjamin "Jimmy" Policheri was born in Chicago in 1916.

Francesco Rio was born 1895 in Oliveto Citra, Salerno, Campania to Antonio Rio and Rosa Maria Costa. I haven't been able to establish a direct familial link to Jimmy Allegretti's mother, but I think it's likely that they were cousins of some sort.

Lawrence Buonaguidi/Brady was born in Chicago to parents from Lucca province, Toscana.

Joseph Vincent/Placido DiVarco was born 1911 in Chicago to Vincenzo DiVarco of Campofelice di Roccella, Palermo province and Francesca Tornabene of Lascari, Palermo province.

Vincent Innocence (the irony...) Solano was born 1919 in Chicago to Vincenzo Solano Sr of Ribera, Agrigento and Rosalia Taglialavore of Calamonaci, Agrigento.

Frank Leo Demonte was born 1927 in Chicago to Anthony DeMonte, born in New Orleans, and Margaret DiVarco, born in Chicago. Anthony DeMonte's parents were Francesco De Monte and Maria Diadora Macaluso, both from Palermo province. Maria's family seems to have been from Campofelice di Roccella (also worth noting that her mother was a Nuccio). Margaret DiVarco was the daughter of Andrea Di Varco, brother of Vincenzo DiVarco, thus she was Joey Caesar's 1st cousin. Margaret's mother was Rosa Cutaia, who was also from Campofelice.

Frank Loverde was born 1904 in Chicago to Stefano Lo Verde and Domenica Maisano of Piana dei Greci (today Piana degli Albanesi; another Arbereshe town), Palermo province. His brother, George Loverde -- co-founder of Gino's East pizzeria -- was born in Piana dei Greci in 1907.

Richard Victor Arrigo was born 1938 in Chicago to Anthony Sam Arrigo and Antoinette Arrigo, both born in Evanston. Anthony Arrigo's parents were from Termini Imerese, while Antoinette may have been of Czech/Bohemian ancestry (unconfirmed).
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Again, great stuff Polack and tnx.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Joseph Fusco was born 1902 in Chicago to Calogero Fusco of Termini Imerese and Josephine Piazza. The only documents that I could verify for Josephine simply state "Sicily" for her birthplace, though several family trees state that she was from Termini. This is very likely to be true, as there were other Fuscos and Piazzas from Termini intermarried in Chicago.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Guido Joseph Fidanzi was born 1927 in Chicago Heights to Mario Fidanzi of San Benedetto del Tronto, Ascoli Picheno, Marche and Joanna/Jennie Montella. Joanna was born in Chicago Heights to parents from Sambiase in Lamezia Terme, Catanzaro, Calabria (same neighborhood as the Liparotas and Rubertos).
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Charles Gioe was born 1904 in Chicago to Onofrio Gioie/Gioia of Marineo, Palermo province and Rose D'Amato. I was unable to confirm Rose's birthplace beyond "Italy". There are several potential profiles that could match her, from various parts of Sicily. I suspect that she was also from Marineo, as there were Gioies and D'Amatos intermarried in Marineo.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

John Anthony Fecarotta was born 1928 in Chicago to Antonino Ficarotta of Palermo and Rosemarie Fillicetti, born in Melrose Park. Rosemarie's parents were probably from Cosenza province, Calabria.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Pasquale Marciano aka Pat Marcy was born 1913 in Chicago to Gennaro Marciano of Napoli and Filomena Corso of Teggiano, Salerno, Campania.
TonyBombassolo
Associate

Post by TonyBombassolo »

Great list OP, I've been documenting this sort of stuff on a person by person basis and I haven't even gotten past 1930 yet for Chicago. Here are a few I didn't see on your list that I've been tracking while documenting the Unione Siciliana.

Unione Siciliana

Giuseppe "Joe Lo" Lolordo (Ribera, Sicily)
Pasquale "Patsy" Lolordo (06/28/1887 – 01/08/1929) (Ribera, Sicily)
Salvatore “Samoots” Ammatuna (??/??/1898 – 11/13/1925) (Pozzallo, Sicily)
Orazio “The Scourge” Tropea (04/29/1880 – 02/15/1926) (Catania, Sicily)

When you go through all the Chicago people's places of birth the Lawrence Mangano hit by Ricca makes so much sense. It was pretty clear the Mangano Sicilian faction wanted control of both NY and Chicago. Clearly the Sicilians envisioned control of every major city in the US but then they ran into Capone. Seems like why Capone only felt comfortable in Chicago Heights, it was the only place the Sicilians weren't in total control. It was originally controlled by Sicilians via Tony Sanfilippo but Roberto and the rest took care of that with Capone's help.

Italians mostly occupied two neighborhoods in Chicago Heights, the East Side and the "Hill" neighborhoods. The industrial East Side was dominated by those Italians from the mainland towns of San Benedetto and Monteprandone and Caccomo in Sicily. The Hill neighborhood, anchored by Saint Rocco Church, was dominated by mainland Italians of Amasenese or Calabrian origin.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Thanks for the continued updates, PolackTony.

TonyBombassolo, thanks for the info. I didn't put every name on the list, but those are good names to add. I'm not sure what you mean by "the Mangano Sicilian faction wanted control of both NY and Chicago." How did Mangano want control of NY? I'm not even sure he wanted control of Chicago. We know very little about him and even less about his death. Sicilians were already running most of crime families across America back then with few exceptions. Paul Ricca was obviously one exception, Frank Costello was another. I think Philadelphia may have had a non-Sicilian boss at that time but others can verify. Ricca and Costello were accepted and respected by the Sicilians, so I don't think there was any issue.

The Chicago Hts info is interesting. I think Matt Luzi gets into it in his book.

Thanks again for the contributions.