Why did the Lucchese Family accept Chin’s contract to kill Gotti?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Frank
Full Patched

Re: Why did the Lucchese Family accept Chin’s contract to kill Gotti?

Post by Frank »

Magnifichi said he drove Cerone to meet with Gigante and I think Salerno. Its been awhile since I heard that podcast
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Shellackhead wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:26 pm My question is, why didn’t Gotti retaliate? DeCicco, Lino, Borriello, all Gotti supporters that got clipped & Gotti didn’t do anything.
It’s because that there is no absolute way that John Gotti could win a war against the Lucchese Family and the Genovese Family.If he just tried to hit back in any sort of way such as a sneak hit on one of the 2 families which I mentioned then it would be an all out war because Amuso and Gigante just won’t accept that and the proof of this is the Patty Testa situation.Patty was clipped by Gaspipe but Gas blamed it on Junior Gotti and basically said to Amuso that it was retaliation for the other hits that had been done.This led to Amuso saying that he wanted Junior Gotti dead for retaliation.Amuso and Gigante would never accept seeing their members die, they wouldn’t play it of and pretend like they don’t know who did it.A war would meanit’s The Gambino’s vs The Genovese Family and the Lucchese Family. Gotti knew that firstly quite a few members in his family wouldn’t be willing to go to war for him which means it would have led to someone betraying him eventually.Also Gotti and Gravano didn’t know what truly happened to Frankie DeCicco until later on when Gaspipe flipped and even Sammy said that in his book if I remember correctly.John knew that he never would have won that war and I guess he must have also known that Gigante and Amuso were right in doing what they did by mob standards.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

chin_gigante wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:18 pm Gigante and Corallo had jointly agreed after the Castellano murder that Gotti and some of his loyalists should be killed. The Genovese family's Jersey faction started plotting the murders but they couldn't get a good shot due to a combination of Little Italy traffic and the media and law enforcement attention Gotti was surrounded by. The first real chance they got was when Danny Marino and James Failla informed them of the meeting that was to take place at Failla's social club. The contract was then given to Amuso and Casso (it was always a joint venture between the Lucchese and Gambino families so it could have went either way). Gigante loaned Genovese associate Herbert Pate (who had already been involved in a murder with Amuso and Casso) to build and plant the bomb because he was an explosives expert.

There was also motive for Amuso and Casso to continue with the plot after ascending to the top of the family because Angelo Ruggiero and Michael Paradiso had been behind Casso's shooting. It was also better to double down and get Gotti first before he could figure out they were behind DeCicco's death and retaliate. Eddie Lino and Bobby Borriello were killed both to isolate Gotti and also eliminate the chance of retaliation if they succeeded in killing the Gambino boss. Casso was so gung ho to take out the Gambino leadership that he ordered Frank Lastorino to kill Patty Testa on the sneak so they could frame the Gambinos for it to trick Amuso into authorising the killings of Junior Gotti and Nick Corozzo.
"Danny Marino and James Failla informed them of the meeting that was to take place at Failla's social club"

This would explain why Gotti paid the AB to kill Marino(according to Gravano). Also why JR wanted to kill Marino after his dad went to jail.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Rocco wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:46 pm
chin_gigante wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:18 pm Gigante and Corallo had jointly agreed after the Castellano murder that Gotti and some of his loyalists should be killed. The Genovese family's Jersey faction started plotting the murders but they couldn't get a good shot due to a combination of Little Italy traffic and the media and law enforcement attention Gotti was surrounded by. The first real chance they got was when Danny Marino and James Failla informed them of the meeting that was to take place at Failla's social club. The contract was then given to Amuso and Casso (it was always a joint venture between the Lucchese and Gambino families so it could have went either way). Gigante loaned Genovese associate Herbert Pate (who had already been involved in a murder with Amuso and Casso) to build and plant the bomb because he was an explosives expert.

There was also motive for Amuso and Casso to continue with the plot after ascending to the top of the family because Angelo Ruggiero and Michael Paradiso had been behind Casso's shooting. It was also better to double down and get Gotti first before he could figure out they were behind DeCicco's death and retaliate. Eddie Lino and Bobby Borriello were killed both to isolate Gotti and also eliminate the chance of retaliation if they succeeded in killing the Gambino boss. Casso was so gung ho to take out the Gambino leadership that he ordered Frank Lastorino to kill Patty Testa on the sneak so they could frame the Gambinos for it to trick Amuso into authorising the killings of Junior Gotti and Nick Corozzo.
"Danny Marino and James Failla informed them of the meeting that was to take place at Failla's social club"

This would explain why Gotti paid the AB to kill Marino(according to Gravano). Also why JR wanted to kill Marino after his dad went to jail.
Isn't that when Junior and his guys planned on hitting them at a meeting but Marino and Failla smartly showed up in a rented limo, which would provide a potential trail to investigators should they be killed, and Junior was forced to call it off? I remember reading that somewhere.
All roads lead to New York.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:55 pm
Rocco wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:46 pm

Isn't that when Junior and his guys planned on hitting them at a meeting but Marino and Failla smartly showed up in a rented limo, which would provide a potential trail to investigators should they be killed, and Junior was forced to call it off? I remember reading that somewhere.
Yes. But I think that Watts was in that Limo too. Believe Jr thought both Marino and Watts were gonna whack him. And he wanted to strike first. But clearly Marino and Failla wanted Gotti dead for killing Paul from the getgo.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

it was a joint venture. the guy who blew frank deccico was a genovese guy but i think his brother was a colombo capo john pate. bobby manna had a whole jersey crew looking to kill them but they failed. i wonder who the bomb guys herbert pates capo was he was in
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

Pmac2 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:19 pm it was a joint venture. the guy who blew frank deccico was a genovese guy but i think his brother was a colombo capo john pate. bobby manna had a whole jersey crew looking to kill them but they failed. i wonder who the bomb guys herbert pates capo was he was in
Kill who? Herbert Pate?
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Herb pate was a genovese associate from staten island according to casso when he flipped in 94. He saind chin loaned him to the luchese. But thats all we heard. I wonder who pates capo was in the genovese family that must have told chin about pates explosive background. Pate went to prison in late 86 and thats the last we heard about him. I remeber reading capeci years back saying he was alive in the early 00s
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Maybe casso wasnt privy to that much info in early 86 as amuso was probaly more in charge