Why did the Lucchese Family accept Chin’s contract to kill Gotti?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

ChicagoOutfit
Straightened out

Why did the Lucchese Family accept Chin’s contract to kill Gotti?

Post by ChicagoOutfit »

Why did the Lucchese family accept the “orders” or contract issued by Chin to kill Gotti and conspirators of the Castellano hit?

Obviously it’s against rules/commission rules to kill a boss without commission approval…that part is known and obviously some sort or retribution had to be issued.

My questions are more along the lines of why did the Lucchese’s accept to handle the retribution?

Why did Chin choose the Lucchese Family to handle the hits? Of course he didn’t want his own family spending time chasing Gotti and co around when they should be making money.

Was it just process of elimination? Bonannos off the commission, Gambinos less likely to do the hits…why not the Columbo’s? Too Busch-league for the Genovese to trust? Did Chin/Genovese family have stronger ties to the Lucchese’s than the other 4 families at the time.

Of course Chin and Ducks Corallo were outraged by the Castellano hit, but why didn’t Ducks ask Chin to kill Gotti & co.? Why was it Chin that asked Ducks/Lucchese’s instead? Is it bc Ducks was off the street and the Genovese are already more powerful?

Why did the Lucchese family accept? They’ve could’ve expressed their outrage but said “we have new leadership in place and have other focuses right now other than hunting Gotti, you have our blessing to do whatever you need to Gotti and co”.

So, why did the Lucchese’s accept? Did Chin force their hand with influence in some joint racket? Was Chin too powerful to decline? Was it just Vic & Gas were so bloodthirsty? Did Vic & Gas, new to leadership positions decide it’s best to be in Chin’s good graces? Was anything promised to them by the Genovese?
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Re: Why did the Lucchese Family accept Chin’s contract to kill Gotti?

Post by chin_gigante »

Gigante and Corallo had jointly agreed after the Castellano murder that Gotti and some of his loyalists should be killed. The Genovese family's Jersey faction started plotting the murders but they couldn't get a good shot due to a combination of Little Italy traffic and the media and law enforcement attention Gotti was surrounded by. The first real chance they got was when Danny Marino and James Failla informed them of the meeting that was to take place at Failla's social club. The contract was then given to Amuso and Casso (it was always a joint venture between the Lucchese and Gambino families so it could have went either way). Gigante loaned Genovese associate Herbert Pate (who had already been involved in a murder with Amuso and Casso) to build and plant the bomb because he was an explosives expert.

There was also motive for Amuso and Casso to continue with the plot after ascending to the top of the family because Angelo Ruggiero and Michael Paradiso had been behind Casso's shooting. It was also better to double down and get Gotti first before he could figure out they were behind DeCicco's death and retaliate. Eddie Lino and Bobby Borriello were killed both to isolate Gotti and also eliminate the chance of retaliation if they succeeded in killing the Gambino boss. Casso was so gung ho to take out the Gambino leadership that he ordered Frank Lastorino to kill Patty Testa on the sneak so they could frame the Gambinos for it to trick Amuso into authorising the killings of Junior Gotti and Nick Corozzo.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Always felt that Gotti got lucky here. If this exact scenario (Chin and the Luke’s going after Gotti) plays out 10 times, Gotti probably gets snuffed out at least 6 or 7 times.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

My question is, why didn’t Gotti retaliate? DeCicco, Lino, Borriello, all Gotti supporters that got clipped & Gotti didn’t do anything.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

gotti and supersammy did zero
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

Shellackhead wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:26 pm My question is, why didn’t Gotti retaliate? DeCicco, Lino, Borriello, all Gotti supporters that got clipped & Gotti didn’t do anything.
James Hydell tried to kill Casso,I dont think that he would do it without a serious reason. For the other things,Gotti was in prison for had beaten and robbed a man plus with all the media around him he couldn't attack both the Luccheses and Genoveses.
MightyDR
Straightened out

Post by MightyDR »

Shellackhead wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:26 pm My question is, why didn’t Gotti retaliate? DeCicco, Lino, Borriello, all Gotti supporters that got clipped & Gotti didn’t do anything.
I don't think it came out until later on who was behind those murders
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

furiofromnaples wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:23 pm
James Hydell tried to kill Casso,I dont think that he would do it without a serious reason. For the other things,Gotti was in prison for had beaten and robbed a man plus with all the media around him he couldn't attack both the Luccheses and Genoveses.
Yes, Jimmy Hydell.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

MightyDR wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:31 pm
I don't think it came out until later on who was behind those murders
Hmmm I see now, Okay thanks. It makes perfect sense too.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Probaly in gottis heart he knew he broke a rule killing the boss. I never understood how gotri still didnt do shit after bobby manna is picked up on wire talking about killing john and his brother. This all came out during mannas trial in 88 89 published in the papers. I wonder if chin even took manna down as consig. I think jimmy ida was only acting consig and manna was official maybe to this day. Gotti excepted chin explanation manna was rougue
ChicagoOutfit
Straightened out

Post by ChicagoOutfit »

Pmac2 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:17 pm Probaly in gottis heart he knew he broke a rule killing the boss. I never understood how gotri still didnt do shit after bobby manna is picked up on wire talking about killing john and his brother. This all came out during mannas trial in 88 89 published in the papers. I wonder if chin even took manna down as consig. I think jimmy ida was only acting consig and manna was official maybe to this day. Gotti excepted chin explanation manna was rougue
TBH what could he have done? He wasn't that sophisticated enough to edge the Genovese out of business opportunities like Big Paul or Carlo could've done if needed. Not exactly an easy selling point to the Gambino family; to which he must've still known there was resentment in the old Castellano loyalists and Zip factions, telling them now they're gonna duke it out with the Genovese and/or Lucchese Families. Furthermore, he was always on trial for his life...he was barely keeping his own family functioning let alone ducking LE and 2 other powerful families.
ChicagoOutfit
Straightened out

Post by ChicagoOutfit »

chin_gigante wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:18 pm Gigante and Corallo had jointly agreed after the Castellano murder that Gotti and some of his loyalists should be killed. The Genovese family's Jersey faction started plotting the murders but they couldn't get a good shot due to a combination of Little Italy traffic and the media and law enforcement attention Gotti was surrounded by. The first real chance they got was when Danny Marino and James Failla informed them of the meeting that was to take place at Failla's social club. The contract was then given to Amuso and Casso (it was always a joint venture between the Lucchese and Gambino families so it could have went either way). Gigante loaned Genovese associate Herbert Pate (who had already been involved in a murder with Amuso and Casso) to build and plant the bomb because he was an explosives expert.

There was also motive for Amuso and Casso to continue with the plot after ascending to the top of the family because Angelo Ruggiero and Michael Paradiso had been behind Casso's shooting. It was also better to double down and get Gotti first before he could figure out they were behind DeCicco's death and retaliate. Eddie Lino and Bobby Borriello were killed both to isolate Gotti and also eliminate the chance of retaliation if they succeeded in killing the Gambino boss. Casso was so gung ho to take out the Gambino leadership that he ordered Frank Lastorino to kill Patty Testa on the sneak so they could frame the Gambinos for it to trick Amuso into authorising the killings of Junior Gotti and Nick Corozzo.
Thank you for the details. Much appreciated
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

Pmac2 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:17 pm Probaly in gottis heart he knew he broke a rule killing the boss. I never understood how gotri still didnt do shit after bobby manna is picked up on wire talking about killing john and his brother. This all came out during mannas trial in 88 89 published in the papers. I wonder if chin even took manna down as consig. I think jimmy ida was only acting consig and manna was official maybe to this day. Gotti excepted chin explanation manna was rougue
I think that Gotti simply doesnt want a total war because who would be his allies? The Colombos? Maybe, and what would do the Bonannos?
Gotti knowed that many people in his family hated him and that in a war he would risk to get stabbed in the back,at the Feds helped Chin&Co to get rid of Gotti.
Luca
Honorary Member

Post by Luca »

This is something I never have thought about. Say what you will about John gotti, but he seems like someone who believed in cosa nostra wholeheartedly. He had to know what he was doing was wrong.(By cosa nostra standards). It had to haunt him a little bit…or maybe not, he also seems like someone who lives without regrets.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Because that would mean a direct, too to toe street war, which is an unpredictable circumstance. Anything could happen.

Gotti did the smart thing. Acknowledged the plot, call Chin on the carpet, and basically force him into diplomacy vs clandestine attacks.