Big Paul one of the most deadly bosses?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Luca
Honorary Member

Big Paul one of the most deadly bosses?

Post by Luca »

I’m not a mob expert but I read allot of these books and just going off the things I’ve read about Paul Castellano he has a ton of bodies on his hands. If you just go off what you read in books, he comes across as a scary guy who was ice cold when it came to ordering murders. But when you listen to commentary from mob experts the general perception seems to be that he was ‘soft.’ So I guess I don’t understand where that comes from. He ordered the deaths of former son in laws and ordered Sammy to kill his wife’s brother, seems pretty vicious. I’m willing to bet he’s responsible for more murders than gotti, scarfo, gigante, dellacroce, and many others who have much worse reputations.

Also what crews/soldiers in the so called ‘white collar’ faction could he actually count on to commit violence if need be? Was Tommy Bilotti really as dangerous of guy as portrayed? I’ve never heard of him actually being involved in murders.

Anyways any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Re: Big Paul one of the most deadly bosses?

Post by Shellackhead »

Yes, if you put it that way every boss has to be vicious because it’s only with their OK that a hit will take place (important ones anyway). I’m guessing those soldiers have violent associates under them.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Most of the DeMeo Crews murders happened under Castellanos reign. That alone makes him one of the most violent mob bosses in history. Really only surpassed by some of the Chicago bosses in terms of numbers.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
ChicagoOutfit
Straightened out

Post by ChicagoOutfit »

Anyone have a list and context of the murders Big Paul ordered?
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:00 pm Most of the DeMeo Crews murders happened under Castellanos reign. That alone makes him one of the most violent mob bosses in history. Really only surpassed by some of the Chicago bosses in terms of numbers.

Pogo
Castellano was unaware of many of the murders committed by the DeMeo crew, you should only keep in mind those he directly ordered.
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

ChicagoOutfit wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:56 pm Anyone have a list and context of the murders Big Paul ordered?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6262&p=154044&hili ... no#p154044
Luca
Honorary Member

Post by Luca »

furiofromnaples wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:50 am
ChicagoOutfit wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:56 pm Anyone have a list and context of the murders Big Paul ordered?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6262&p=154044&hili ... no#p154044
Interesting, thanks
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

Shellackhead wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:55 pm Yes, if you put it that way every boss has to be vicious because it’s only with their OK that a hit will take place (important ones anyway). I’m guessing those soldiers have violent associates under them.
Nah bro, getting permission for a hit and a boss ordering a hit are two wildly different things. Castellano in this sense is a murderous boss. Him and Nicky Scarfo ordered the most murders. I believe Scarfo during his time as boss ordered close to 24 murders while Castellano ordered 10-11 murders on his own but dont quote a niccqer on that.
“In Italian, La Cosa Nostra is also known as ‘our headache.’” -Jerry Anguilo
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

furiofromnaples wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:47 am
Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:00 pm Most of the DeMeo Crews murders happened under Castellanos reign. That alone makes him one of the most violent mob bosses in history. Really only surpassed by some of the Chicago bosses in terms of numbers.

Pogo
Castellano was unaware of many of the murders committed by the DeMeo crew, you should only keep in mind those he directly ordered.
Murder Machine mentions how Paul would find out about DeMeo murders he didn't order after the fact but didn't have much problem with them. For example, he got a little squeamish about a teenage beauty queen getting murdered by the crew when he learned of it, but eventually excused it because of the money the crew brought in and the threat she presented. If her hit didn't bother him, none of them did. He profited from all the murder and mayhem of the DeMeo crew, who kicked up a shitload of money to them, only cracking down when he thought Roy might flip. His relationship with the crew, its moneymaking, and its murders illustrates the genius of the RICO statute IMHO.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Extortion wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:06 am
Shellackhead wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:55 pm Yes, if you put it that way every boss has to be vicious because it’s only with their OK that a hit will take place (important ones anyway). I’m guessing those soldiers have violent associates under them.
Nah bro, getting permission for a hit and a boss ordering a hit are two wildly different things. Castellano in this sense is a murderous boss. Him and Nicky Scarfo ordered the most murders. I believe Scarfo during his time as boss ordered close to 24 murders while Castellano ordered 10-11 murders on his own but dont quote a niccqer on that.
Thats true. Castellano personally ordered the murder of Piccolo because the Genoveses wanted him death or Castellano would lost the common rackets in Connecticut;the murder of the man abused his wife and of the man called him Frank Perdue and of course DeMeo because was bringing too heat on the family.
While Leonetti in Mob Prince always said that his uncle politic is to kill,kill everybody! Leonetti wrote that after Salvie Testa murder Scarfo wanted to kill even his long time friend Nick the Blade and Sal and Lawrence Merlino because they was always drunk.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Castellano was also involved in the murder of Gambino informant Freddy Santantonio in 1963. Appears to have helped approve the plot, likely on behalf of Carlo Gambino. Recordings of the hit team confirm his involvement.
TSNYC
Straightened out

Post by TSNYC »

B. wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:50 am Castellano was also involved in the murder of Gambino informant Freddy Santantonio in 1963. Appears to have helped approve the plot, likely on behalf of Carlo Gambino. Recordings of the hit team confirm his involvement.
Do you have link or something regarding that hit? That’s really irntesting I don’t think I ever saw that
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

TSNYC wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:44 am
B. wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:50 am Castellano was also involved in the murder of Gambino informant Freddy Santantonio in 1963. Appears to have helped approve the plot, likely on behalf of Carlo Gambino. Recordings of the hit team confirm his involvement.
Do you have link or something regarding that hit? That’s really irntesting I don’t think I ever saw that
Here's Ferrara saying they're going to go discuss the murder plot with Castellano:

Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

furiofromnaples wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:32 pm
Extortion wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:06 am
Thats true. Castellano personally ordered the murder of Piccolo because the Genoveses wanted him death or Castellano would lost the common rackets in Connecticut;the murder of the man abused his wife and of the man called him Frank Perdue and of course DeMeo because was bringing too heat on the family.
While Leonetti in Mob Prince always said that his uncle politic is to kill,kill everybody! Leonetti wrote that after Salvie Testa murder Scarfo wanted to kill even his long time friend Nick the Blade and Sal and Lawrence Merlino because they was always drunk.
Leonetti also wrote that on one occasion Scarfo was extremely pissed off and snapped and said he would go to New York, get some guys, come back and wipe out his entire crew.