Strongest crew from 60-90's

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Strongest crew from 60-90's

Post by Extortion »

We should do one for each family. Which families strongest crew.

Colombos: Wild Bill would be a good nominee before that Mimi Scialo

Bonanno: The Sicilian traffickers?

Lucchese: Vario, I would assume or Jersey.

Gambino: Jimmy Brown or Fatico/Gotti?

Genovese: 116th street or Jersey?
“In Italian, La Cosa Nostra is also known as ‘our headache.’” -Jerry Anguilo
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

Nurzhamba wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:06 am Ronnie G
Alphonse Trucchio
Greg Scarpa and Wimpy Boys
Tommy Gioeli and BPB crews
Ronnie G didnt have a crew in the 90s maybe much later on..
Nurzhamba
Straightened out

Post by Nurzhamba »

Extortion wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:20 pm
Nurzhamba wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:06 am Ronnie G
Alphonse Trucchio
Greg Scarpa and Wimpy Boys
Tommy Gioeli and BPB crews
Ronnie G didnt have a crew in the 90s maybe much later on..
Yes, I didn't notice the time interval of the topic
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:35 pm Buccieri/Torello crew
Battaglia/Alderisio/Lombardo crew
Cerone/Gagliano/DiFronzo crew
Aiuppa/Carlisi crew

Edit:Unless this is just strictly NYC. Then 116, GV, Vario.
I think the Campagna-Giancana-Caifano- Buccieri crew was the most influential and powerful group of them all. They also had influence over the MP-Degrazia-Battaglia crew and the Mangano-Daddono crew, almost as if they represented one large group.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

-Montreal Cotroni/Rizzuto crew : works for/with the Bonannos and connected to the Caruana-Cuntrera Clan and Cosa Nostra in Sicily & South America + the Colombian cartels and the Marseille/Corsica mob before that
-Gambino Cherry Hill crew : for the same reasons but with the Gambino CF
-116th Street crew of the Genovese CF
-For the few I know about Chicago, I agree with Villain
-Priziola Crew/Partinico faction of the Detroit Partnership
bababooey
Associate

Post by bababooey »

Extortion wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:19 pm We should do one for each family. Which families strongest crew.

Colombos: Wild Bill would be a good nominee before that Mimi Scialo

Bonanno: The Sicilian traffickers?

Lucchese: Vario, I would assume or Jersey.

Gambino: Jimmy Brown or Fatico/Gotti?

Genovese: 116th street or Jersey?
I think its a hard debate to know which crew was the strongest in the genovese. The others is pretty easy to choose a few, but the genovese had like 4-5 insane crews. The 116th and Greenwhich village are most talked about, but as you mentioned their Jersey faction has been a powerhouse for years and even now are one of the most stable factions. Silvio Devita is such an interesting character to me since there is basically zero info on him besides a few things here and there. Hes up in age and likely will pass soon, but they have one of the most tight knit sicilian crews, so i imagine power will be easily transferred.

But a few crews i think in the genovese that should be talked about more is Matty the Horses crew, which controlled so much in the 60-70s i can't imagine he wasn't a top 5 earning capo. Then we also got the the "Fiumara-Coppola crew" that was lead by trigger mike coppola which was very dangerous and made tons of money. Having interest in both NYC and Jersey i imagined made that team a lot.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

bababooey wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:35 am Then we also got the the "Fiumara-Coppola crew" that was lead by trigger mike coppola which was very dangerous and made tons of money. Having interest in both NYC and Jersey i imagined made that team a lot.
Tino Fiumara had nothing to do with Trigger Mike's 116th Street Crew. Maybe you meant Michael 'Mikey Cigars' Coppola. Fiumara came up in the former Gene Catena crew under Peter LaPlaca and Lou Gatto. He was given his own regime and eventually took over some of Gatto's operations.

- - -

As for the Genovese as a whole - law enforcement considers their backbone and strongest crew for the past forty years to have been Bellomo's Bronx/Harlem Crew.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

The Genovese Greenwich Village crew and the East Harlem 116st crew are hard to beat but I think and I realize this doesn’t fit into the 60’s-90’s timeframe but the Genovese Jersey crew under Willie Moretti before it spilt up had to be possibly the strongest crew in the country. It was bigger than most of the families that existed at the time.
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

Genovese jersey crew was strongest under Boot and Catena
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

I think Vinny Gorgeous in the late 1990:ls early 2000s crew was very strong in the Bonannos, correct? Does he count as 1990s?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Extortion wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:44 pm Genovese jersey crew was strongest under Boot and Catena
You think the pieces they broke off were stronger than the whole? Interesting. It’s possible both the Boot and Catena were legends.

Does anyone know if a list was ever put together of all the guys that were under Willie Moretti?
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

The Moretti regime remained intact until the early 1960s, with Jerry Catena between 1951 and 1957 and Boiardo between 1957 and 1961/62. It was probably the strongest under Moretti after 1944 until his death in 1951 and during Catena's reign. I haven't seen a members list, but it was suspected to have had over three dozen members.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

The genovese must have had a strong crew in brooklyn. Funzi tieri had a lot of influence there. Allie shades, genoroso, lombardi ect
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

I’ve always thought Genoveses were strongest in manhattan and jersey
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Extortion wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:19 pm I’ve always thought Genoveses were strongest in manhattan and jersey
Manhattan was their traditional powerbase and that eventually extended to the Bronx. They've had the biggest presence in New Jersey since forever but the Jersey crews, like those from any other NY family, were always answerable to New York. So I don't see any from that state being in the running for "strongest crew."
All roads lead to New York.