General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:59 pm
Villain wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:56 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:48 pm
Another guy who fascinates me is Bacino. The guy MAY have been a boss of a family before, but then he seems to have been content being a simple member with no higher position in Chicago. Who did Bacino answer to as capodecina? I wonder how much respect and weight he was accorded within the family, given his career.
Thats a tough one. We can see some of his close associates like Soldano being closely connected to LaPorte and Roberto since the early 30s which gives me the idea that he answered to Roberto/Emery and during that time he was probably on the same level as John Roberto and LaPorte but by the 1940s i think he went below them.
Yeah, he lived in Calumet City, so I figured the LaPorte regime but didn’t know if maybe he was with D’Andrea, Fusco, Pinelli maybe.

For all we know, maybe Bacino was the capodecina that Joe Costello was referring to in that sit down with Mooney! He lived until the 70s.
It might be possible. We know that both Bacino and Pinelli were previously connected to the old Mafia and they probably held high ranks or were at least quite respected. In fact Pinellis crew was mostly made out of former northsiders, so maybe Bacino remained with the Sicilian part of the Chicago Heights group and had large influence and possibly held some high rank? Although we also must not forget there were guys like John Roberto and Joe Guzzino who oversaw areas like C City for Emery/LaPorte.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Another guy who fascinates me is Bacino. The guy MAY have been a boss of a family before, but then he seems to have been content being a simple member with no higher position in Chicago. Who did Bacino answer to as capodecina? I wonder how much respect and weight he was accorded within the family, given his career.
Thats a tough one. We can see some of his close associates like Soldano being closely connected to LaPorte and Roberto since the early 30s which gives me the idea that he answered to Roberto/Emery and during that time he was probably on the same level as John Roberto and LaPorte but by the 1940s i think he went below them.
Yeah, he lived in Calumet City, so I figured the LaPorte regime but didn’t know if maybe he was with D’Andrea, Fusco, Pinelli maybe.

For all we know, maybe Bacino was the capodecina that Joe Costello was referring to in that sit down with Mooney! He lived until the 70s.
Matt Luzi, and I tend to agree with him, is fairly certain that Bacino was a soldier who answered to Roberto/Emery/LaPorte.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Snakes wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:44 pm I'm bored. I'll take requests. Any particular subject someone is interested in? I'll see what I have, can find, or request, and then do a write-up.
I'd like more on Legs D'Antonio. Contemporary reports indicated that he took over the GA crew from Eboli. I don't have his FBI file so I don't know if that's confirmed or not. Or did Centracchio take over from Eboli?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:09 pm

Matt Luzi, and I tend to agree with him, is fairly certain that Bacino was a soldier who answered to Roberto/Emery/LaPorte.
Thanks for the reminder.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:15 pm
Snakes wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:44 pm I'm bored. I'll take requests. Any particular subject someone is interested in? I'll see what I have, can find, or request, and then do a write-up.
I'd like more on Legs D'Antonio. Contemporary reports indicated that he took over the GA crew from Eboli. I don't have his FBI file so I don't know if that's confirmed or not. Or did Centracchio take over from Eboli?
+1. The exact succession between D’Antonio, Centracchio, Cozzo, and Vena remains muddled.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Patrickgold wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:53 pm
What do you have on Leo Rugendorf?
You can find info regarding Rugendorf in the Battaglia files. During the 1940s the Rugendorf brothers (Sam and Leo) started as enforcers on the south side in one of its meat markets. Sam Rugendorf owned one meat shop while Leo worked as enforcer and killed one African-American who refused to pay. At first they were allegedly associates of the Chinatown crew.

Later or by the late 50s and early 60s, the Rugendorfs were connected to the Battaglia crew and Leo became one of their official associates and a crew member who was involved in the loan sharking and legitimate enterprises. Leo was also the president of Battaglias Twin Food Company and one of Battaglias mistresses was his secretary.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Villain wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:00 am
You can find info regarding Rugendorf in the Battaglia files. During the 1940s the Rugendorf brothers (Sam and Leo) started as enforcers on the south side in one of its meat markets. Sam Rugendorf owned one meat shop while Leo worked as enforcer and killed one African-American who refused to pay. At first they were allegedly associates of the Chinatown crew.

Later or by the late 50s and early 60s, the Rugendorfs were connected to the Battaglia crew and Leo became one of their official associates and a crew member who was involved in the loan sharking and legitimate enterprises. Leo was also the president of Battaglias Twin Food Company and one of Battaglias mistresses was his secretary.
Interesting info. Did not know that he worked as an enforcer. Knew they had that meat business. I’m the 60s he ran a crew of burglars. He is talked about extensively in the book “The Home Invaders” by Frank Hohimer. I also heard he was a CI. Can you confirm this?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Patrickgold wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:25 am
Villain wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:00 am

Interesting info. Did not know that he worked as an enforcer. Knew they had that meat business. I’m the 60s he ran a crew of burglars. He is talked about extensively in the book “The Home Invaders” by Frank Hohimer. I also heard he was a CI. Can you confirm this?
Leo was known as one of the most ruthless guys from the Battaglia crew. As for the CI thing, i think Ed should give his opinion
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Rugendorf is someone that others may know more about than I. I can definitely look into post-Grand Avenue crew structure, though.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

In regards to Antillar's question I second that - Legs D'Antonio and also the father of Albie Vena who apparently was a renowned jewel thief who either was partnered with Blind Louie Cavallaro or was known as "Blind Louie" himself. I was told by Sam DeStefano II that Legs worked as a kid for Blind Louie and that is essentially the burglary crew he inherited and was in operation into the 90s.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Post earlier should say "post-Lombardo" Grand Avenue crew.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Get the book C1 and the Mob by Vincent Inserra. Inserra was the Special Agent in Charge of the Chicago FBI when Leo Rugendorf walked in one day and started giving information about a half-dozen mob murders. He writes all about it in the book.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:35 am
Get the book C1 and the Mob by Vincent Inserra. Inserra was the Special Agent in Charge of the Chicago FBI when Leo Rugendorf walked in one day and started giving information about a half-dozen mob murders. He writes all about it in the book.
I completely forgot about it. Thanks for the remind
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Anyone know why Jimmy Marcello is in Supermax? I get that he was a terrible guy but does he require the same level of security as the unabomber? Is it just to make sure he can’t communicate with the street?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:41 pm Anyone know why Jimmy Marcello is in Supermax? I get that he was a terrible guy but does he require the same level of security as the unabomber? Is it just to make sure he can’t communicate with the street?
That and to teach the others a lesson, presumably. Same reason they threw Pagliacc' in ADMAX.