Two Lombardozzi brothers accused of ratting

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Two Lombardozzi brothers accused of ratting

Post by B. »

Report from mid-1972:

- First I've seen that Carmine Lombardozzi was (rightfully) suspected of being a longtime informant within the organization. Came from Frank Gagliardi.

- Interesting too Gagliardi felt John Lombardozzi was "positively" an informant and Carmine was aware of it.
NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Two Lombardozzi brothers accused of ratting

Post by NYNighthawk »

Correct me if I am wrong - Carmine while married was banging a soldier's daughter or was it a capo's? The offended mobster demanded death for he violated a cardinal rule of the mob. Because Carmine was bringing in big bucks on stock frauds (which was also a no-no within the mob) he was spared but told to divorce his wife of 40 years and marry this young woman. He did and avoided death.
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

NYNighthawk wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:10 pm Correct me if I am wrong - Carmine while married was banging a soldier's daughter or was it a capo's? The offended mobster demanded death for he violated a cardinal rule of the mob. Because Carmine was bringing in big bucks on stock frauds (which was also a no-no within the mob) he was spared but told to divorce his wife of 40 years and marry this young woman. He did and avoided death.
It was the daughter of a soldier in his own crew Sabato ‘Sammy’ Muro.
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

B. wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:56 am Report from mid-1972:

- First I've seen that Carmine Lombardozzi was (rightfully) suspected of being a longtime informant within the organization. Came from Frank Gagliardi.

- Interesting too Gagliardi felt John Lombardozzi was "positively" an informant and Carmine was aware of it.
It almost seemed to say that even if there wasn't proof that Carmine was a stoolie, he should be considered of that ilk anyway, because he was aware that his brother was, and I guess should have reported or done something about it. Maybe just vague sentence structure.
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

I always thought Joe Colombo's comment from 1968 (reported by Scarpa) about a "long time member in another family who in the past had brought great disrespect and shame to LCN" was recently discovered to be an FBI informer was a reference to Lombardozzi.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 0informant

The disrespect and shame would be primarily Lombardozzi's blood family attacking a federal agent and Lombardozzi sleeping with a member's daughter.

If Colombo's comment was directed towards Lombardozzi, I wonder if the FBI took active steps to protect Lombardozzi and throw off those suspicions. Obviously, Lombardozzi never got hit and prospered again in the 1970s, despite the rumours.

In addition, Colombo indicated his crime family might get the assignment to kill the unnamed informer. However, it seems unlikely given what we know about crime families insisting on murdering their own.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

its almsot like scarpa's case. alot of other members had suspicions but he protected by the boss which i think kinda is what persico did
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ed wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:51 pm I always thought Joe Colombo's comment from 1968 (reported by Scarpa) about a "long time member in another family who in the past had brought great disrespect and shame to LCN" was recently discovered to be an FBI informer was a reference to Lombardozzi.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 0informant

The disrespect and shame would be primarily Lombardozzi's blood family attacking a federal agent and Lombardozzi sleeping with a member's daughter.

If Colombo's comment was directed towards Lombardozzi, I wonder if the FBI took active steps to protect Lombardozzi and throw off those suspicions. Obviously, Lombardozzi never got hit and prospered again in the 1970s, despite the rumours.

In addition, Colombo indicated his crime family might get the assignment to kill the unnamed informer. However, it seems unlikely given what we know about crime families insisting on murdering their own.
Good eye, I think you're right.

On one of the 1960s FBI recordings (it was either DeCavalcante or Bruno, offhand) they talked about the belief of a member CI in "Carlo's Family". I'm pretty sure it was DeCavalcante because they talk about how the FBI approached Carlo Gambino at his house and the agents named off his entire administration and many of his captains during this period. This was before Lombardozzi cooperated but it shows there was speculation about an informant in Gambino's Family (this earlier one was probably Santantonio in actuality).

What gets me about Frankie the Wop's comments is how resolute he was about Carmine's brother John being an informant, while he only speculated about Carmine and assumed guilt by association. Makes you wonder if something surfaced about John Lombardozzi and if so, were the brothers aware of each others' cooperation?

Carmine Lombardozzi stopped cooperating for a time and was reactivated in 1975, so maybe these rumors in 1972 contributed to his decision. He appears to have repaired his reputation, too, which is incredible given these rumors and the earlier issues with Muro's daughter. I tend to lean away from the "money solves everything" take on some of these things, but Lombardozzi's sheer wealth and earning ability could have been a factor for sure.