First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

RamshackleMan
Straightened out

Re: First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Post by RamshackleMan »

My take on the movie is that, for all of the talk about how it would stand on its own as a film despite its connections to the series, Many Saints tries serving too many masters. It results in a diluted storytelling experience.

The call-backs to the series are absurd and bizarrely crowd-pleasing from a guy once renowned for disdaining that sort of thing.

it's an old man's movie. Very sentimental and melancholy. It had very little of the dark humor and ferocious wit driving the show.

Harold's relationship with Dickie's woman is practically regressive in the way it, IMHO,
frames it as her simply wanting to find out what it's like with a black man. Remember that she stares at them when she sees them
earlier in the movie. I think her character is painted as shallow and small-minded, Harold isn't taking any sort of moral principle taking on Dickie, far from it, he's using race as a pretext to steal Dickie's rackets. Frankly, he comes off more as an ingrate who takes Dickie's largesse when it suits him but, ultimately, has an Alpha male criminal thing going on with him that's further skewed by the language of the times. Dickie rattling his cage about letting a numbers runner punk him does more to inflame tensions - Harold sees himself as Dickie's better or at least equal - than anything else. Throwing Lucas into the mix is gratuitous as hell.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

RamshackleMan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:55 pm it's an old man's movie. Very sentimental and melancholy. It had very little of the dark humor and ferocious wit driving the show.
Yeah, in a way, it reminded me of The Irishman. Like it was somebody's memory of events and not the actual depiction. If they had a demented Uncle Jun nodding off in a wheelchair as a final scene, it would've improved my opinion of the movie.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

eboli wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:10 pm
RamshackleMan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:55 pm it's an old man's movie. Very sentimental and melancholy. It had very little of the dark humor and ferocious wit driving the show.
Yeah, in a way, it reminded me of The Irishman. Like it was somebody's memory of events and not the actual depiction. If they had a demented Uncle Jun nodding off in a wheelchair as a final scene, it would've improved my opinion of the movie.
Bro I just had the irishman on today in the background while working and I said to myself jesus its almost eearliy similiar.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

joeycigars wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:13 pm
chin_gigante wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:19 am I'm not quite sure what's supposed to be so 'woke' about it.
Black cab driver ends up dead after getting pulled over by police. Start race riot ,
Harold got very militant after black power militant Slam Poetry,
Frank Lucas injected for no reason with a problem with the 5 families hands Harold a gun to kill Dickie ,
Then again with the psychiatric drug angle and Dickie ends up with the crazy Tag of a psycho user for getting them for Tonys mom,
So much more to mention Ill pass

That is woke as it gets , But I respect your opinion Chin
The cab driver didn't die, that was just the rumour that started the riot. The Frank Lucas thing, sure, it's cringey for anyone who is into OC history but at the end of the day it's a work of fiction, I think they just wanted a recognisable name to show Harold moving up. And I thought they did a pretty good job of showing Harold getting more militant with how he's treated by the other characters and what he sees during the riots. Personally, at least, it was believable ground work for the change after the film cut to five years later. I don't understand how the psychiatric drugs thing could be considered woke though?

And I'm not addressing this last bit specifically to you but I'll just include it in this same post for the sake of not clogging up the thread. I don't care if people don't like the movie for structural (not much connecting tissue hanging it together), acting (young Silvio), or other issues like that, I just don't have any patience whatsoever for the racial criticism. When it comes to the "issue" of interracial relationships or equality, I don't consider that an area of polite disagreement, it's just basic human decency to absolutely reject cringey, thinly veiled, racist "white erasure" (lol) bullshit
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

eboli wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:10 pm
“I was involved in that?”
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:41 am I read he walked into casting and didnt openly admit he was the son of JG and got the part. Later read David Chase wanted him. It's all marketing bullshit.
Yeah, that's a bunch of hooey obviously. Chase knew Gandolfini's kid his whole life.
All roads lead to New York.
West Coast1
Straightened out

Post by West Coast1 »

the most meaningful part of the movie to me was the word
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=titsun

I'm an old man def an old man movie
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

What is up with the “hop along quesa dicc” saying? I know it’s a reference to hop along Cassidy but it’s in the show and movie. Is this a popular Italian greeting or something?
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

I thought in that one scene with Uncle Junior and the broad in bed together they were gonna finally show Uncle Junior go down and eat pussy showcasing his exceptional skills, which would have instantly made the Movie an Oscar contender…..

-Dante
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Raven wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:18 am What is up with the “hop along quesa dicc” saying? I know it’s a reference to hop along Cassidy but it’s in the show and movie. Is this a popular Italian greeting or something?
Yes
RamshackleMan
Straightened out

Post by RamshackleMan »

I think having Christopher provide voice-over is a bad move. The only way that works, IMHO, is if you go all the way with it, like Goodfellas,
and practically make his disembodied voice another character who offers his own bitter take on the story.

I find it wildly improbable that, even in Jersey, a crew of would-be militant black gangsters take shots at a group of wiseguys and aren't dead soon afterward.
Boston+matt14
Honorary Member

Post by Boston+matt14 »

NJShore4Life wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:25 pm I thought in that one scene with Uncle Junior and the broad in bed together they were gonna finally show Uncle Junior go down and eat pussy showcasing his exceptional skills, which would have instantly made the Movie an Oscar contender…..

-Dante
:lol: :lol: :lol: This wins post of the thread. And there's truth to it as well. If you're going to have a bunch of callbacks to the series, why not go all in?
"Where's our Al Sharpton?" -Anthony Borgesi
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Cheech wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:27 pm
Raven wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:18 am What is up with the “hop along quesa dicc” saying? I know it’s a reference to hop along Cassidy but it’s in the show and movie. Is this a popular Italian greeting or something?
Yes
It's an Italian pun on "Hop-Along Cassidy" -- Hop along "che si dice" (whaddya say?).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

RamshackleMan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:50 pm I think having Christopher provide voice-over is a bad move. The only way that works, IMHO, is if you go all the way with it, like Goodfellas,
and practically make his disembodied voice another character who offers his own bitter take on the story.
I feel like this is the only perspective that can make the movie can be good. Its Chris' skewed, fucked up take on the past. Trying to find answers for why his life turned out the way it did in the Sopranos, and why Tony is fucked up (who he blames).

That a bitter guy who basically wasn't even there for it THINKS this is how it went down.

Lets not forget Chris DID make bad movies. And probably just saw the caricatures and punch lines as something that would happen in reality.

The movie had promise. How many movies do a close-up of a kid early on and the voiceover goes: "this guy right here choked me to death" ?\

Yeah my theory is this is a Christopher Moltisanti story.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

I didn't mind the race aspect. I was excited the riot were apart of it as my family was in new haven in the late 60s when we had our riots. I've heard stories about it for years. listening to the scanners. throwing quarter sticks and half sticks of dynamite of the roof to keep people away. I even went to the movies with my uncle who went thru it. so the race thing didn't bother me. I just thought the writing and the movie was garbage. it didn't work. I'm not sure how no one attached to the movie didn't notice lol. like who saw the final cut and was like "this is great"