First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Mikeymike12
Straightened out

Re: First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Post by Mikeymike12 »

I rate it 7 -7.5 . It was a lot better than a lot of the mob movies that have been coming out. Kinda surprised why they didn’t use the same cast as the flash backs??? Maybe too many years later, some of casting was good some of it was like come on Chase you know better.
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

I liked the scenes that built upon the idea that Tony really did love his mother— that he really tried to bond with her...to help her. Vera Farmiga is the example that the other actors should have followed. She plays a watered down version of '90s Livia Soprano because that makes perfect sense. She wouldn't have developed all of her mannerisms fully at that time in her life, so it feels like Livia. It sounds like Livia. Not like someone trying to pretend to be someone they are not.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:53 pm
newera_212 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:13 pmIforget who but a big actress who did one of these marvel movies was bitching about this recently. She had some sort of contract incentive that was tied to ticket sales but Disney put the movie on
Chris Christie wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:40 pm I agree with the sentiments here that it would have been better as a series. Also, Michael Gandolfini nailed it, he has a future in film if he so chooses.
From what I read, at first he was dead set against doing the role
I read he walked into casting and didnt openly admit he was the son of JG and got the part. Later read David Chase wanted him. It's all marketing bullshit.
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

I feel like they hyped up Michael Gandolfini too much. It was barely about Tony, let alone him.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Nick Prango wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:26 am I feel like they hyped up Michael Gandolfini too much. It was barely about Tony, let alone him.
I actually enjoyed his storyline better than any others. I wouldnt have minded if it was just about him and his pals and the riots and family mafia were the backdrops
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

A lot of the stuff in the movie didn’t fit into the show. Dickie in the show was only talked about by Tony. Junior never mentioned him once even when he suggested Tony kill Chris. In the movie Livia seems to almost love Dickie but in the show she says not to kill Chris because he put her storm windows up. If she was so close with Dickie, why was her only connection to Chris putting in her storm windows. A lot of stuff like that in the movie bugged me. What was the point they were trying to make with Junior. Was he A-sexual? Didn’t care when people said his girl was fucking other guys and she later said “any excuse not to fuck”.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Raven wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:32 am A lot of the stuff in the movie didn’t fit into the show. Dickie in the show was only talked about by Tony. Junior never mentioned him once even when he suggested Tony kill Chris. In the movie Livia seems to almost love Dickie but in the show she says not to kill Chris because he put her storm windows up. If she was so close with Dickie, why was her only connection to Chris putting in her storm windows. A lot of stuff like that in the movie bugged me. What was the point they were trying to make with Junior. Was he A-sexual? Didn’t care when people said his girl was fucking other guys and she later said “any excuse not to fuck”.
bro, ya. the whole movie is just one giant what the fuck...
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

Cheech wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:01 am
Raven wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:32 am A lot of the stuff in the movie didn’t fit into the show. Dickie in the show was only talked about by Tony. Junior never mentioned him once even when he suggested Tony kill Chris. In the movie Livia seems to almost love Dickie but in the show she says not to kill Chris because he put her storm windows up. If she was so close with Dickie, why was her only connection to Chris putting in her storm windows. A lot of stuff like that in the movie bugged me. What was the point they were trying to make with Junior. Was he A-sexual? Didn’t care when people said his girl was fucking other guys and she later said “any excuse not to fuck”.
bro, ya. the whole movie is just one giant what the fuck...
A girl I am friends with had the nerve to tell me I didn’t like it because I didn’t understand it. I’ve watched the whole series multiple times and am a huge fan. I just didn’t like the movie. It really pissed me off when she said that.
TwoPiece
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TwoPiece »

yeah that shit with junior was weird. we know he eats pussy like a savage and fran feldstein said he stalked her, this is a man who desires female company. he had dreams of marrying angie dickinson for christs sake :lol: .

i gotta say the violence was mostly well done too. that scene with harold's boy in the auto shop was raw.
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

Watched 3 times to get a little message , What a mess of a story line to follow ...If you Filter all the woke and unnecessary shit out ....
Dickie killed his father (Liotta)
Went to visit his fathers twin also (Liotta) in prison for killing a made guy ,
Dickie wanted advice from the twin and took it , Which was to save Tony from the life , Dickie then shunned Tony at the end to do his good deed ,Even Sil turned Tony away because of Dickie
But Junior cut Dickies life short ,
Tony never got the good deed message, But did get the Mob baton passed through the pinky swear at the wake ,

I think :?
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

I'm not quite sure what's supposed to be so 'woke' about it. Felt like they established the attraction between Harold and Giuseppina every time they crossed paths before, and she wasn't exactly portrayed as a conservative woman to begin with
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Forcing a mixed race couple in the movie would be an example of being "woke". Seems that just about every single movie, tv show and every other commercial has to have a at least one display of race mixing or homosexuality. I have also noticed an increasing number of interracial homosexuality being displayed on television. It is nauseating.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

chin_gigante wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:19 am I'm not quite sure what's supposed to be so 'woke' about it.
Black cab driver ends up dead after getting pulled over by police. Start race riot ,
Harold got very militant after black power militant Slam Poetry,
Frank Lucas injected for no reason with a problem with the 5 families hands Harold a gun to kill Dickie ,
Then again with the psychiatric drug angle and Dickie ends up with the crazy Tag of a psycho user for getting them for Tonys mom,
So much more to mention Ill pass

That is woke as it gets , But I respect your opinion Chin
Last edited by joeycigars on Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:10 pm I have also noticed an increasing number of interracial homosexuality being displayed on television.
The only time you see a white guy in a commercial now is in the mixed-race gay couple they show right before the hijab chick in a Diversity Montage. :lol:
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Boston+matt14
Honorary Member

Post by Boston+matt14 »

I think Chase wanted to do a standalone Newark Race Riots movie but the only way he could secure a 50 million dollar budget was to add a Sopranos component so he retconned some flashbacks/references from the series in order to build a (flimsy) fictional story around the real events of 1967. Just an absolute travesty of a film and I was actually getting angry watching it due to how lazy some of the writing was.
"Where's our Al Sharpton?" -Anthony Borgesi