which made man did Jimmy the Gent pay up to?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

ThutmosisChen
On Record

which made man did Jimmy the Gent pay up to?

Post by ThutmosisChen »

Jimmy Burke was a powerful associate of Paul Vario`s crew but he was still only a connected guy, I assume this means he had to share a proportion of his criminal income with a made man of the Lucchese family, or am I wrong? I have never heard about which made man he was under so I`m not really sure if he really had to pay up to someone. In Goodfellas Henry Hill said for the Lufthansa heist the only person he had to pay was Paul Vario himself, is this accurate? Like was he directly under the captain of the crew instead of a soldier?
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Re: which made man did Jimmy the Gent pay up to?

Post by Shellackhead »

ThutmosisChen wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:28 pm Jimmy Burke was a powerful associate of Paul Vario`s crew but he was still only a connected guy, I assume this means he had to share a proportion of his criminal income with a made man of the Lucchese family, or am I wrong? I have never heard about which made man he was under so I`m not really sure if he really had to pay up to someone. In Goodfellas Henry Hill said for the Lufthansa heist the only person he had to pay was Paul Vario himself, is this accurate? Like was he directly under the captain of the crew instead of a soldier?
There’s some associates that are so capable that they report directly to a captain or administration.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

ThutmosisChen wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:28 pm Jimmy Burke was a powerful associate of Paul Vario`s crew but he was still only a connected guy, I assume this means he had to share a proportion of his criminal income with a made man of the Lucchese family, or am I wrong? I have never heard about which made man he was under so I`m not really sure if he really had to pay up to someone. In Goodfellas Henry Hill said for the Lufthansa heist the only person he had to pay was Paul Vario himself, is this accurate? Like was he directly under the captain of the crew instead of a soldier?
If Jimmy the Gent was Italian he would of been captain imo
Lefty_Ruggiero
Straightened out

Post by Lefty_Ruggiero »

In my opinion, he was under Vario, they were close. Jimmy was very capable and had his own crew at Roberts Lounge. I know he was close to others like Vinny Asaro who complained he did see any of the Lufthansa money.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Pretty sure he kicked up to Paulie. He was "with" Paulie, so to speak. He was also basically the crew's unofficial street captain. That crew was similar to being it's own small family, with Paulie as boss and Jimmy as street boss. Considering the rackets and money they made, and power they had in Queens and Brooklyn.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

I always assumed he was direct with Vario. Burke was somewhat of an outlier because he was bossing other associates and criminals who gravitated around the crew. I found it interesting that Sal Vitale knew him as a Colombo associate who was close to Asaro.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

I asked this recently here in the general question thread and was told he was on record with Vario. I've also read here that he was on record with the Vinnie Aloi crew.
MightyDR
Straightened out

Post by MightyDR »

In Wiseguy, it says the Luccheses and the Colombos negotiated to share Burke's services. I assume the captain in the Colombos would be Buster Aloi, since according to Henry Hill, he ran the airport for the Colombo family at the time.

But it's pretty safe to say he was on record with Vario. Hill said that "Jimmy always brought in money for Paulie and the crew." and that Burke ran hijacking at the airport with Vario's OK. He also refers to Vario as "our" boss when talking about who he and the crew had to give a piece to after a score.
Hired_Goonz
Straightened out

Post by Hired_Goonz »

In his book D'Arco described a situation where Paulie asked him to mediate a dispute between Jimmy and a couple of hijackers over some score they had pulled together. Even though Burke ended up killing the two guys later on lol it would suggest that Vario was the guy he was on record with seeing as how that's who he went to in an attempt to resolve the beef.

Either way Jimmy clearly had status on par with a made man or at least as close as an Irishman could ever be. He was a big earner and extremely capable of murder. Gaspar Valenti in his testimony referred to Asaro and Burke as "partners in crime" but in his descriptions of their activities, Vinnie comes off as the junior partner. In fact his loan sharking operation was funded with money from Burke.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Did Burke ever collect from made guys? Like for example some of Vario's soldiers or some made guys from other families?
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Villain wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:01 am Did Burke ever collect from made guys? Like for example some of Vario's soldiers or some made guys from other families?
Sending an unmade guy to collect from a made guy is sign of disrespect even if you’re sending Jimmy Burke.

Also saw someone said Jimmy was the street boss of Paulies crew…that’s false. Jimmy had his own crew of guys and he absolutely did not give orders to the Lucchese family members that made up the Vario crew. Paulies number 2 was always his brother and then Rugsy towards the end.
ThutmosisChen
On Record

Post by ThutmosisChen »

Thanks everyone, this clears up a lot for me. My next question is, who did the guys Jimmy whacked after the Lufthansa heist report to? Those guys are mostly mob associates, one of them was even connected to the Gambinos (Paolo LiCastri), wouldn`t the mobsters whom those guys are connected to be mad since their subordinates are murdered by Burke?
desertdog
Straightened out

Post by desertdog »

I always wondered the same thing, did he get permission from Vario to wack 12 innocent guys, they weren't rats. Why would Vario allow that?
After 5-6 of the crew got killed, didn't the rest of them
see the writing on the wall'? I would have left town, at least TRY to survive.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

desertdog wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:52 am I always wondered the same thing, did he get permission from Vario to wack 12 innocent guys, they weren't rats. Why would Vario allow that?
It was the biggest heist ever at the time the media and feds were all over it. Jimmy and Paulie panicked and killed everyone they could. Smart play if you don’t get caught
Ryan98366
Straightened out

Post by Ryan98366 »

desertdog wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:52 am I always wondered the same thing, did he get permission from Vario to wack 12 innocent guys, they weren't rats. Why would Vario allow that?
Vario got more money. Doubt Jimmy Burke asked for permission.
#Let’s Go Brandon!