Gangster Report - Philly, The Cowboy Chronicles..

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lupara
Full Patched

Re: Gangster Report - Philly, The Cowboy Chronicles..

Post by Lupara »

B. wrote:Decades earlier Harry Riccobene had blackballed Martorano from being made for reasons unknown and Bruno stayed true to that even though Martorano was one of his closest associates.
But then it also doesn't make sense that Martorano would conspire with the guy who sabotaged his carreer.
toto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by toto »

Lupara wrote:
Pogo The Clown wrote:I should also add that Freselone claimed that Patty "Specs" Martirano (a north Jersey Soldier under Caponigro) was going to be the UnderBoss if Capongiro's coup had succeeded. If true it also calls into questin the role of Sindone and Simone. You'd figure if they were in on it one of them would have gotten the UnderBoss slot.

Pogo
I've wondered why Simone was killed by the Gambinos instead of Philly. What stake did the Gambinos have in Simone's fued with Testa? It seems more logical to me that they killed him to avenge Bruno, because of his friendship with Carlo.
This was Gambino members acting on order of the commission. It wasn't something only from the Gambino family. It's why the commission made an order to John Tronolone who was in friendship with Simone to trap him. That's why Tronolone tricked him and got him to meet with Gravano.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

toto wrote:
Lupara wrote:
Pogo The Clown wrote:I should also add that Freselone claimed that Patty "Specs" Martirano (a north Jersey Soldier under Caponigro) was going to be the UnderBoss if Capongiro's coup had succeeded. If true it also calls into questin the role of Sindone and Simone. You'd figure if they were in on it one of them would have gotten the UnderBoss slot.

Pogo
I've wondered why Simone was killed by the Gambinos instead of Philly. What stake did the Gambinos have in Simone's fued with Testa? It seems more logical to me that they killed him to avenge Bruno, because of his friendship with Carlo.
This was Gambino members acting on order of the commission. It wasn't something only from the Gambino family. It's why the commission made an order to John Tronolone who was in friendship with Simone to trap him. That's why Tronolone tricked him and got him to meet with Gravano.
If the Commission ordered it then that's an even bigger indication that it was because of the Bruno murder. I don't see why the Commission would act on Testa's behalf because Simone opposed him. That was Testa's problem and for him to deal with.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Simone had reached out to Tronolone (the Cleveland Family Consiglieri) to reach out to NY to get backing in overthrowing Testa. Evidently NY sided with Testa but led Simone to believe that they were backing him. As part of the double cross the Gambinos agreed to back him which was why he was meeting with the Gambinos (He thought he was going to see Paul Castellano).

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

One reason for the Simone murder being handled by the Gambinos was because they had essentially traded hits. The Philly family killed someone who had shot Trenton-based Aurello crew member Nick Rizzo and killed Rizzo's son, and the Gambinos killed Simone on Philly's behalf.
Lupara wrote:
B. wrote:Decades earlier Harry Riccobene had blackballed Martorano from being made for reasons unknown and Bruno stayed true to that even though Martorano was one of his closest associates.
But then it also doesn't make sense that Martorano would conspire with the guy who sabotaged his carreer.
Huh? Are you talking about Riccobene? He wasn't part of the conspiracy.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Pogo The Clown wrote:Simone had reached out to Tronolone (the Cleveland Family Consiglieri) to reach out to NY to get backing in overthrowing Testa. Evidently NY sided with Testa but led Simone to believe that they were backing him. As part of the double cross the Gambinos agreed to back him which was why he was meeting with the Gambinos (He thought he was going to see Paul Castellano).

Pogo
That makes sense.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Another reason I question Simone being part of the conspiracy to kill Bruno was him reaching out to NY to become Boss. If he was part of the plot to kill Bruno he had to know his head was on the chopping block after what happened to Caponigro. So why would he reach out to NY (which he had to know wanted to kill him for Bruno) to take out yet another Boss? A Boss that had just been put in place by NY. Plus his words to Gravano (blaming the Genovese family for all the problems in Philly) leads me to believe he wasn't part of Caponigro's plot. Just some food for thought though I could be totally wrong. :mrgreen:

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

B. wrote:One reason for the Simone murder being handled by the Gambinos was because they had essentially traded hits. The Philly family killed someone who had shot Trenton-based Aurello crew member Nick Rizzo and killed Rizzo's son, and the Gambinos killed Simone on Philly's behalf.
That also makes sense.
B. wrote:Huh? Are you talking about Riccobene? He wasn't part of the conspiracy.
I was basing that on an earlier post of yours in which you speculate about Riccobene's involvement. But perhaps I misinterpret?

Anyway I thank you and Pogo for being so explanatory. My knowledge on Philly is only basic and I'm just trying to fuel the debate a bit by raising questions.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Lupara wrote:
B. wrote:One reason for the Simone murder being handled by the Gambinos was because they had essentially traded hits. The Philly family killed someone who had shot Trenton-based Aurello crew member Nick Rizzo and killed Rizzo's son, and the Gambinos killed Simone on Philly's behalf.
That also makes sense.
B. wrote:Huh? Are you talking about Riccobene? He wasn't part of the conspiracy.
I was basing that on an earlier post of yours in which you speculate about Riccobene's involvement. But perhaps I misinterpret?

Anyway I thank you and Pogo for being so explanatory. My knowledge on Philly is only basic and I'm just trying to fuel the debate a bit by raising questions.
Sure thing, brother.

My speculation about Riccobene is very very loose. I honestly don't think he was involved, but have thought about it. Martorano on the other hand has a lot that points to his involvement. Also Martorano and Riccobene continued to associate over the years even though Riccobene prevented him from being made. Riccobene did the same to his brother Sonny. From his CI reports too it's clear he felt that few if any guys should have been made past the 1950s.

Pogo, I think Simone is the murkiest one of all the alleged conspirators for sure. I wouldn't take his words to the Gambinos too seriously, though, as he was a politically savvy guy.
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

Looking at some of the old MF files from the 1960s, I always had a hunch Martorano may have fed some Intel to the FBI. If that were true, and he continued to share Intel into the 80s, I wouldn't be surprised to learn many of the details of the hit are buried somewhere in the files.(minimizing Martorano's guilt of course)
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ed wrote:Looking at some of the old MF files from the 1960s, I always had a hunch Martorano may have fed some Intel to the FBI. If that were true, and he continued to share Intel into the 80s, I wouldn't be surprised to learn many of the details of the hit are buried somewhere in the files.(minimizing Martorano's guilt of course)
I agree 100%. I have had my own suspicions that Martorano was a CI. There is a lot of info for example about Martorano and Bruno's business dealings in the vending industry, etc.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Were you guy's ever able to find anything confirming Pat "The Cat" Spirito being an informant?

Pogo
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

I don't know if Spirito ever cooperated.

In addition to Riccobene and Scafidi, the FBI was developing two more member-informants in the Bruno Crime Family by 1968.

http://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html ... 3&tab=page
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The info about the CI who was killed in the early 1980s seemed kind of shaky to me. If it is true, though, Spirito is a good candidate. Remember he was trying hard to get out of those murder contracts he was given, which is what informants are supposed to do. He also spent a lot of his time complaining about the administration, so not like he had much loyalty. It seems more likely to me though that it was one of the murdered associates who had been informing. I wouldn't be surprised if the Riccobene crew was full of snitches.

One thing I wish we knew more about is when Chucky Merlino gave the original contract to kill Harry Riccobene he said it was because he was an FBI informant. In Blood&Honor it makes this out to be some phony premise to eliminate Riccobene (i.e. Amuso and Casso style), but now that we pretty much know him to have been an informant we have to wonder if Scarfo had somehow found out. Also not clear if Riccobene continued to inform after he got out of prison.

One of the other possible informants from the 1960s would be Peter Maggio or someone close to him. There is a lot of info on Bruno's personal family, involvement with the cheese company, and other stuff that connects to Peter Maggio. Seems that either Maggio was running his mouth to an informant or was the informant himself.
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

B. wrote: One of the other possible informants from the 1960s would be Peter Maggio or someone close to him. There is a lot of info on Bruno's personal family, involvement with the cheese company, and other stuff that connects to Peter Maggio. Seems that either Maggio was running his mouth to an informant or was the informant himself.
Anything is possible but I think a lot of that kind of Intel comes from Ralph Schwartz, who was close to Bruno and Maggio, and managed some of their businesses. I think he became to share Intel sometime in the early 1960s.