Vincent Asaro

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

TommyGambino
Full Patched

Re: Vincent Asaro

Post by TommyGambino »

B. wrote:
Lupara wrote:The more I read about Asaro, the more I wonder how he's still alive.
Not just alive, but he was a leading candidate to be boss not long before these tapes were made.
According to Capeci, I'll never believe that story. Why would the family install an old drunk who can't earn as boss, everyone hates him.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

TommyGambino wrote:
B. wrote:
Lupara wrote:The more I read about Asaro, the more I wonder how he's still alive.
Not just alive, but he was a leading candidate to be boss not long before these tapes were made.
According to Capeci, I'll never believe that story. Why would the family install an old drunk who can't earn as boss, everyone hates him.
Recent history and facts agree with you.
toto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by toto »

TommyGambino wrote:
B. wrote:
So FBI can arrest him and put him in jail. Easier and less risky than killing him.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

toto wrote:
TommyGambino wrote:
B. wrote:
So FBI can arrest him and put him in jail. Easier and less risky than killing him.
Why risk that, when they could just put him on the shelf or bust him down to soldier like they did not long ago, Tommy D and the Queens guys brought him back into the fold and made him a skipper, not long after he was caught talking shit about Tommy on a wiretap :lol:
Doobeez
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Doobeez »

TommyGambino wrote:
toto wrote: So FBI can arrest him and put him in jail. Easier and less risky than killing him.
Why risk that, when they could just put him on the shelf or bust him down to soldier like they did not long ago, Tommy D and the Queens guys brought him back into the fold and made him a skipper, not long after he was caught talking shit about Tommy on a wiretap :lol:

Lightening rod...busting him down didnt work, so up him again, and the feds can "clip" him for them.. Similar to what they did to Feech.. :mrgreen:

Only thing you have to worry about is if he flips. :?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

TommyGambino wrote:
B. wrote:
An angry old drunk for sure, but a senior member with many generations of members in his family tree. If we're talking facts, don't forget he was a ruling panel member and also promoted to captain of his own crew during this period.

I understand that you're the expert, though.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

It's testimony to the disorganization and lack of depth within the Bonannos that a member could move from skipper to ruling panel to soldier to skipper to potential boss material.

Consider how unlikely that scenario would be within the big two.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, the Bonannos have been struggling to find a workable power structure since Massino flipped, no question.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

B. wrote:
TommyGambino wrote:
B. wrote:
An angry old drunk for sure, but a senior member with many generations of members in his family tree. If we're talking facts, don't forget he was a ruling panel member and also promoted to captain of his own crew during this period.

Wow, what a prick you are, it's an opinion.

Why would I need to remember he was promoted to capo, I just said that if you'd read through daft lad
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

B. wrote:
TommyGambino wrote:
B. wrote:

Capeci indeed stated that all in his now famous 'light-weight flunky' article. But eventually Capeci, and I believe the feds as well, had others listed as boss or acting boss.

Btw, wasn't it Asaro's father that went on the lam in the 60s and was caught chilling with Vic Cotroni in Montreal?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Lupara wrote:
B. wrote:
TommyGambino wrote:
B. wrote:

Capeci indeed stated that all in his now famous 'light-weight flunky' article. But eventually Capeci, and I believe the feds as well, had others listed as boss or acting boss.

Btw, wasn't it Asaro's father that went on the lam in the 60s and was caught chilling with Vic Cotroni in Montreal?
That was his uncle Joseph. His father was Girolamo "Jerry" who was also a Bonanno soldier. Their father was Vincenzo, a Bonanno capo, who in turn was the son of Girolamo, a member under Schiro.

Tommy -- it's true, I'm a prick. You challenged what Capeci said, even though there is reason to believe what he said is true. You tend to state a lot of things as fact, so it's hard to know when you're just offering an opinion. I have no personal beef with you.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

B. wrote:
Lupara wrote:
B. wrote:
TommyGambino wrote:
B. wrote:

That was his uncle Joseph. His father was Girolamo "Jerry" who was also a Bonanno soldier. Their father was Vincenzo, a Bonanno capo, who in turn was the son of Girolamo, a member under Schiro.
These guys go way back. They're a true Mafia dynasty. I guess that explains why the guy has so much sway and can afford being an asshole.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Lupara wrote:
B. wrote:
Lupara wrote:
B. wrote:
TommyGambino wrote:
B. wrote:

These guys go way back. They're a true Mafia dynasty. I guess that explains why the guy has so much sway and can afford being an asshole.
Yeah, I doubt that his family history gives him any sway, but you have to figure it at least points to him being a devout follower of the cosa nostra cult.

I would guess the family goes back farther than that in Sicily.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

B. wrote:Yeah, I doubt that his family history gives him any sway, but you have to figure it at least points to him being a devout follower of the cosa nostra cult.
I think it does give him sway, but I might be very wrong. Perhaps not the best example, but it was said that Bonanno's life was spared because he was a charter member of the Commission. Granted, Mangano was killed but that wasn't sanctioned. I think that Asaro's family history probably gives him an edge over other members who are without it.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

B. wrote:
Lupara wrote:
B. wrote:
TommyGambino wrote:
B. wrote:

Tommy -- it's true, I'm a prick. You challenged what Capeci said, even though there is reason to believe what he said is true. You tend to state a lot of things as fact, so it's hard to know when you're just offering an opinion. I have no personal beef with you.
So what if I question what he said, nothing wrong with speculating.