First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JohnnySalami
Straightened out

Re: First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Post by JohnnySalami »

Its ashame the actors who played junior and Johnny boy in the sopranos during Tony's flashbacks arent the ones playing them here (rip joe siravo). I really liked how they were portrayed at that time
BensonhurstGuy
Honorary Member

Post by BensonhurstGuy »

I might get flamed for this. But gandolfini’s does not come off as a young Tony to me, besides the looks. He doesn’t seem menacing or tough in the least. Sorry but the kid seems way to soft to grow up to be a cold stone killer. Sorry just my opinion
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:10 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:48 pm The Americans is really underrated.

Pogo
I’ve heard really good things but never watched.

It's a great period piece thriller. One of my personal favorite shows.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:16 pm
OcSleeper wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:34 pm I think the wire is overrated :?
Wey Bey is my favorite character

Easy top 3 show for me
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

BensonhurstGuy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:57 am I might get flamed for this. But gandolfini’s does not come off as a young Tony to me, besides the looks. He doesn’t seem menacing or tough in the least. Sorry but the kid seems way to soft to grow up to be a cold stone killer. Sorry just my opinion
Perhaps this is a "feature" and not a "bug". Tony doesn't seem to have ever been a particularly violent or aggressive kid. We know that he just happened to have been wired neurologically such that he was able to witness his father chopping old man Satriale's finger off without having the typical visceral reaction that most people would. So he was wired in such a way that he could perhaps more easily process being in violent situations than many people, but there's no indication that he was himself predisposed to being violent or anti-social. He was basically a good kid, bright and promising, who was already predisposed to brooding depression and who was desperate to receive the validation and respect of elders that he did not receive from his warped parents. So a guy like Dickie was able to step in and set him firmly on a path to corruption and predatory behavior. In another family and social environment, Tony could've been a "captain of industry" type.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:31 am In another family and social environment, Tony could've been a "captain of industry" type.

He'd be selling patio furniture on Route 22.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:35 am
PolackTony wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:31 am In another family and social environment, Tony could've been a "captain of industry" type.

He'd be selling patio furniture on Route 22.

Pogo
As the series progresses, we see how these types of statements by Tony are basically morally bankrupt rationalizations to displace blame and responsibility for his own terrible actions onto others. But, of course, there's more than a kernel of truth there as well, one of many examples of how deft the series was at maintaining this sort of ambiguity and moral tension.

I think that the theory that a major focus especially of the arc of the second half of season 6 was Tony's final moral and psychological decline revolving around his inability to process or deal with the immense rage, resentment, and shame that he felt towards all of his "father figures" has much to recommend (e.g., his sudden degenerate gambling, hostility towards Hesh as a father-by-proxy, etc). Again, this sort of rage, or the inextricably bound and destablizing feelings of love and hatred, towards his dad, Junior, Dickie, explains so much and is integral to contextualizing the many-layered, mutual resentments between Tony and Chris.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
MSFRD
Straightened out

Post by MSFRD »

I don’t know about this one. Looks good when seeing the other characters, but the young Gandolfini doesn’t have it for me. I dunno why it seems they are making Tony out to be someone who wanted to go the straight and narrow. He always seemed like a street guy, hanging with guys and getting into mischief. This good boy led astray I’m not convinced of but I’ll give it a chance.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I agree with PolackTony.

Nothing on the Sopranos painted a picture that Tony grew up a ruthless street kid. His father was a mafia captain and they lived a middle class life. He was heavy into 1970s rock and his childhood friends were Artie and Davey (two of the least tough guys on the show, next to maybe Carmela's father), and the flashback scenes show Tony was clueless about his father and organized crime as a kid.

When Artie and Davey each get into trouble with the mob, they're surprised to see the other side of Tony that's ruthless and uncompromising. The idea is that they didn't grow up with "Tony the Gangster", meaning yeah, he probably was a fairly regular kid up to a point.

One of the reasons for the Jackie Jr. stick-up storyline was to show he was similar to young Tony... son of a high-ranking member trying to prove himself and like the Saints trailer, people tried to steer Tony away from the life just like Tony tried to steer Jackie away. The difference was Tony didn't screw up the robbery and had members who advocated for him, while everyone washed their hands of Jackie Jr. Not to get too "psych 101", but Meadow dated a guy who was the opposite of Tony (black Jewish nerd) and then dated Jackie because he was like her father, at least on the surface.

Tony Soprano as an adult is as murderous as Greg Scarpa and Roy Demeo... Saints would be a garbage movie if it was just about a 17-year-old hardened gangster going around wasting people. Better to see the evolution.

Man, we're already analyzing this thing and we've only seen short trailer.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

The resemblance just gets eerier the more I look at it
20210701_231114.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

The dream sequence at the end of season 5 includes a scene with Tony’s old football coach where he is essentially telling Tony that he was different (and better) than the knuckleheads he was hanging around. And how Tony could’ve been a leader. There are crumbs sprinkled all throughout the show that Tony was a good kid that just kinda naturally got pulled in the wrong direction. They never made it seem like he was some mafioso in training from a young age.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:24 pm The dream sequence at the end of season 5 includes a scene with Tony’s old football coach where he is essentially telling Tony that he was different (and better) than the knuckleheads he was hanging around. And how Tony could’ve been a leader. There are crumbs sprinkled all throughout the show that Tony was a good kid that just kinda naturally got pulled in the wrong direction. They never made it seem like he was some mafioso in training from a young age.
100%.

Also some of the issues Tony had with AJ came from Tony seeing himself in the kid. Yeah, AJ is more of a pussy than Tony was and he's an obese 12-year-old who plays videogames in a McMansion, but the show makes it a point to show AJ and Tony are similar. AJ's life was that much cushier than Tony's, he had a good mother, the mafia was on the decline, and Christopher didn't take AJ under his wing, so he had all of that in his favor, which Tony didn't. If Tony had been in AJ's situation, he might have turned out the same way.

One interesting angle on the Sopranos that I've never seen mentioned is that Chris doesn't have a close relationship with AJ. We have storylines where Chris is the cool older cousin to Meadow and they have a bunch of interactions but I can't think of any storylines offhand that involve AJ and Christopher. Can't help but feel that was somewhat deliberate given Chris's father groomed Tony for the life. You'd think there would be a close relationship between AJ and Chris but the chain was broken with AJ.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:41 pm One interesting angle on the Sopranos that I've never seen mentioned is that Chris doesn't have a close relationship with AJ. We have storylines where Chris is the cool older cousin to Meadow and they have a bunch of interactions but I can't think of any storylines offhand that involve AJ and Christopher. Can't help but feel that was somewhat deliberate given Chris's father groomed Tony for the life. You'd think there would be a close relationship between AJ and Chris but the chain was broken with AJ.
Sounds like AJ might grow up to be a lot like Chris "Ferry."
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

B. wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:41 pm
Amershire_Ed wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:24 pm The dream sequence at the end of season 5 includes a scene with Tony’s old football coach where he is essentially telling Tony that he was different (and better) than the knuckleheads he was hanging around. And how Tony could’ve been a leader. There are crumbs sprinkled all throughout the show that Tony was a good kid that just kinda naturally got pulled in the wrong direction. They never made it seem like he was some mafioso in training from a young age.
100%.

Also some of the issues Tony had with AJ came from Tony seeing himself in the kid. Yeah, AJ is more of a pussy than Tony was and he's an obese 12-year-old who plays videogames in a McMansion, but the show makes it a point to show AJ and Tony are similar. AJ's life was that much cushier than Tony's, he had a good mother, the mafia was on the decline, and Christopher didn't take AJ under his wing, so he had all of that in his favor, which Tony didn't. If Tony had been in AJ's situation, he might have turned out the same way.

One interesting angle on the Sopranos that I've never seen mentioned is that Chris doesn't have a close relationship with AJ. We have storylines where Chris is the cool older cousin to Meadow and they have a bunch of interactions but I can't think of any storylines offhand that involve AJ and Christopher. Can't help but feel that was somewhat deliberate given Chris's father groomed Tony for the life. You'd think there would be a close relationship between AJ and Chris but the chain was broken with AJ.
Only interaction that I can remember offhand is Chris telling A.J. he can't get back at the old mummy for shooting his dad.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

i want to hate it but i just watched the trailer it looks good. i wanted to hate the breaking bad movie on netflix that was really good. shit i would have went to the movie thearter to watch it. jessie drives to alaska spoiler.