Vincent Asaro

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JerryB
Straightened out

Vincent Asaro

Post by JerryB »

The daughter of a gangland murder victim whacked more than four decades ago brought her father's cremated remains to Brooklyn Federal Court for the sentencing of the Bonanno thug who disposed of her dad’s corpse.

Ilsa Katz recalled the night of Dec. 6, 1969 when her father, Paul Katz, left the house to “meet the guys at the candy store” while his five children watched the Frosty the Snowman cartoon on TV.

“My mother begged him not to go,” said Ilsa who was 9 at the time. “He never came back.”

Paul Katz, a low-level mob associate, was allegedly strangled with a dog chain by Bonanno gangster Vincent Asaro, who suspected him of being an informant, and James (Jimmy the Gent) Burke, who was immortalized by Robert DeNiro in the film “Goodfellas.”

Katz’s corpse was buried under the basement floor of a Queens house owned by Burke and left to rot there until the 1980s when Asaro’s son, Jerome, exhumed the decomposed remains and moved them to an unknown location.

“When they killed my father, they killed a family,” Ilsa Katz told Federal Judge Allyne Ross.

Then in June 2013, the FBI excavated the basement grave and recovered bits of bone and hair that was positively identified as Paul Katz through DNA testing.

“He came home with me carrying him in an evidence bag,” the victim’s son Lawrence Katz told the judge.

The remains were cremated and Ilsa Katz had them in a cloth pouch inside her handbag as she trembled and tearfully described the torment of growing up not only without a father, but not knowing what had happened to him.

“When we were asked, ‘Where’s your father?’ we’d say he died in a plane crash,” she said.

Jerome Asaro apologized to his own family and the government, but offered no words of remorse to the Katz children for what he or his father had done.

Ross sentenced him to 7½ years in prison for racketeering, which included accessory to murder after the fact. Vincent Asaro is awaiting trial for the murder as well as for his participation in the infamous Lufthansa heist at Kennedy Airport.

“He may not have killed Paul Katz himself, but he helped (his father) get away with it,” said Assistant U.S. Attorney Nicole Argentieri. “The Mafia is a family business and he (Jerome) is a third generation member of the Bonanno family.”

Photo caption: "James Burke, seen in custody in this undated photo, was allegedly involved in killing Paul Katz in 1969."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.2163846
Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted.
jimmyb
Straightened out

Re: Vincent Asaro

Post by jimmyb »

Thanks for posting JerryB.

“The Mafia is a family business and he (Jerome) is a third generation member of the Bonanno family.”

I think they go back more than 3 generations. Well, maybe as members of the "Bonanno" org, but the Asaros have been around a long time. Around 1850s first time I see their name linked with possible CN-like circumstances. I'd really like to see official family tree. They're related to Mariano Asaro in CDG, I just don't know how exactly.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

jimmyb wrote:Thanks for posting JerryB.

“The Mafia is a family business and he (Jerome) is a third generation member of the Bonanno family.”

I think they go back more than 3 generations. Well, maybe as members of the "Bonanno" org, but the Asaros have been around a long time. Around 1850s first time I see their name linked with possible CN-like circumstances. I'd really like to see official family tree. They're related to Mariano Asaro in CDG, I just don't know how exactly.
5th generation member in the US, probably farther back in Sicily.

Girolamo > Vincenzo > Girolamo aka "Jerome"> Vincent > Jerome

Plus Vincenzo's son Joseph and brother Giuseppe.
camerono
Honorary Member

Post by camerono »

was Jerome made and was he still active?
you have reached the end of the line with me my friend!
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

B. wrote: 5th generation member in the US, probably farther back in Sicily.

Girolamo > Vincenzo > Girolamo aka "Jerome"> Vincent > Jerome

Plus Vincenzo's son Joseph and brother Giuseppe.
camerono wrote:was Jerome made and was he still active?
There was also a Andrew Asaro who I believe is the son of Giuseppe. But it´s unclear if he was made.

Jerome was made yes. He´s the father of Vincent, died in the 1970s.

Welcome to the forum, Camerono.
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

All of the ones I listed above were made. It isn't 100% fact on the first Girolamo, who died in a house fire, but he was something of a mentor to Stefano Magaddino in Brooklyn and Magaddino talks about him on wiretaps from the 1960's so given all of the context I'm almost sure he was an early member of the Castellammarese faction.
camerono
Honorary Member

Post by camerono »

thanks fellas,its an honor!
you have reached the end of the line with me my friend!
JerryB
Straightened out

Post by JerryB »

Fox news did a pretty good video synopsis today about Asaro and his trial:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/456572428800 ... show-clips
Handsome Stevie
Straightened out

Post by Handsome Stevie »

Vincent Asaro (l.) and Judge Allyne Ross look on as prosecutor Lindsay Gerdes (r.) makes opening statements in Asaro's trial in this court sketch on Monday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
willychichi
Full Patched

Post by willychichi »

Mob snitch spills details about 1978 Lufthansa heist at Vincent Asaro’s trial

If looks could kill, his dad would be dead.

As mob turncoat Gaspare Valenti testified Tuesday at the racketeering trial of 80-year-old Vincent Asaro, his hulking son Anthony (Fat Sammy) Valenti glared at his pop.

Dressed in a navy blue suit and looking more like Larry David than a Bonanno family hood, Valenti avoided his son’s eyes as he betrayed Asaro in a Brooklyn courtroom.

“Lufthansa,” Valenti answered, when asked by prosecutor Nicole Argentieri what was the most serious crime he ever committed. “We robbed the Lufthansa air freight company.”

Valenti, 68, was referring to the spectacular 1978 robbery at Kennedy Airport that netted nearly $6 million in cash and jewels — and was dramatized in the mob movie “Goodfellas.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.2404298
Obama's a pimp he coulda never outfought Trump, but I didn't know it till this day that it was Putin all along.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Do we know why Gaspare Valenti flipped? Was he made? Is the son? Photos of the son?

Cheers
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

So much for family , Gary valenti and vinnie Asaro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'm not sure how serious of a target Valenti was in any investigations at the time, but apparently Asaro's abusive treatment of him was one reason he flipped. From reading what's been released of his recordings, Asaro sounds like an absolute menace.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

B. wrote:I'm not sure how serious of a target Valenti was in any investigations at the time, but apparently Asaro's abusive treatment of him was one reason he flipped. From reading what's been released of his recordings, Asaro sounds like an absolute menace.
Anyway to obtain the recordings?
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JerryB
Straightened out

Post by JerryB »

Here's a link to the indictment that I just uploaded, if anyone is interested:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/n97wjqiw9 ... 162014.pdf

Hit the "view" button to read it online or you can just download the entire file. Its about 26 pages in .PDF format.

Depending on what the US Atty/defense counsel &/or the judge makes available during the trial, I may be able to get my hands on tape transcriptions or even the tapes, themselves.