General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

SolarSolano
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by SolarSolano »

Plescia is still alive he was let out on a 2017 appeal. He served a significant amount of time. His entire crew used to operate at Sportsmans racetrack and be around Zizzo. They would hang out in the bar area.

I also think the Biaggio Messino hit was tied into this ring.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:18 am
Patrickgold wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:11 pm Very interesting article about Chris Petti from 1989. I believe he was the one chosen to take over West Coast operations after Spilotro was killed.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... KEl7F1_5fU
You know who Petti hired to collect Spilotro's outstanding debts? Big Cheese DiNunzio who is the boss of Providence. Crazy connection.
Yep. They were basically exiled from Boston and Petti put them to work. Wonder if DiNunzio still has any connections to the Outfit these days
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Did anyone catch the recent podcast of Gerry Jenkins and Joe Lopez? Lopez talks about a case in the late 80s about an Outfit drug case. Anyone familiar with the names?

https://ganglandwire.com/joe-the-shark- ... otzmq0a7EY
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:39 pm Did anyone catch the recent podcast of Gerry Jenkins and Joe Lopez? Lopez talks about a case in the late 80s about an Outfit drug case. Anyone familiar with the names?

Is it recent? I think it's from about a year ago, if its the same one it was really good, but short unfortunately.

Edit: Yep 2020. Was hoping Gary would do a follow up episode with him but he never did.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:39 pm Did anyone catch the recent podcast of Gerry Jenkins and Joe Lopez? Lopez talks about a case in the late 80s about an Outfit drug case. Anyone familiar with the names?

He wasn’t talking about the Vic Plescia ring? I thought da Shark represented Plescia?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:42 pm

He wasn’t talking about the Vic Plescia ring? I thought da Shark represented Plescia?
Yep that was it, Vic Plescia. Wonder why the interview was cut short. It seemed like Lopez wanted to talk more
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:11 pm
PolackTony wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:42 pm

Yep that was it, Vic Plescia. Wonder why the interview was cut short. It seemed like Lopez wanted to talk more
Lopez was indeed Plescia's lawyer. He also represented the Messino guys on the south side who were involved in the same ring...

Chris, Clement, Chris Jr., Paul and Blaise Messino I believe were all cousins or nephews of Willie The Beast.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

As I recall Lopez hinted at still being around and talking to current guys..
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

He also said that Sam Carlisi made him cut his ponte tail off lol
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Can you even imagine another criminal defense lawyer becoming a celebrity like this? What would Brodkin and the boys from the first ward think?

Lopez grew up on Taylor Street, no? Always wonder how that guy operates when his name was associated as passing info on witnesses in the Panozzo bust. Its astounding the Feds have not looked into him harder - the guy was all over Facebook with stories an accusations about Outfit rats and witnesses.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

This was a good interview but way too short.

A couple of takeaways:

Lopez grew up by Taylor St. By the 60s there were already a number of Mexicans (as well as a few PRs) around Taylor prior to the UIC expansion, with both conflict and friendships with the established Italian community. Aleman's father was, of course, Mexican and grew up by Taylor as well. Lopez hadn't aspired to be a defense attorney working on OC cases, as he "grew up around it", and had initially planned to be a divorce lawyer. Along with cases for the Cali Cartel and Mexican DTOs, Lopez initially built his criminal defense practice with personal referrals of cases by guys he knew from around Taylor and Bridgeport. Lopez cites the Plescia/Bonavolante/Grossi et al case as an example contradicting the mythos that the Outfit didn't deal in narcotics. "Back then, it was all, the Outfit guys don't do drugs.. they don't touch drugs, well... not only were they selling drugs, they were doing drugs... we can hear them snorting cocaine... on a wire!". Lopez doesn't mark this distinction, of course, but these were not made guys, which was typical of Outfit-connected narcotics operations: handled by local associates and/or apparent Italian nationals (it's still unclear to me whether Camillo Grossi was born in Chicago or Italy). Lopez states that the Outfit was investing gambling proceeds in the Plescia ring, which was moving shipments from Miami to Chicago for "years" before they were eventually caught due to a gambling wiretap. Lopez also states that the Plescia ring was linked to the "Cicero crew", but doesn't go into further detail, so we don't know if he meant the Ferriola/Infelise crew or the Carlisi crew. From what I know of the case, it was the latter (linked to Zizzo and Tornabene), though perhaps they had links to both crews. Lopez recalls being eyeballed by a DEA agent in Bertucci's Corner in Bridgeport while at a dinner table with Plescia and others. Lopez also recounts that during the 80s, mob lawyers in Chicago were being heavily scrutinized by the Feds for improper activities/involvement with their clients (incidentally, I have a close relative who was a defense attorney at 26th/Cali during the 80s who was close to a number of lawyers on Outfit/OC/gang cases and was explicitly warned to not fraternize or socialize with clients, or accept gifts or favors from them, as this was of course very common). Lopez: "I have met with some of the top dogs in the Chicago Outfit, that people will never know or never suspect...". As Patrick already noted, Lopez also stated that Carlisi made him cut his ponytail off and promises to tell the story later, but the interview ends before he does.

I also find it hard to understand how Lopez seems to have escaped any consequences for the Panozzo witness list thing, I guess there just wasn't enough to build a case on him.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:13 pm This was a good interview but way too short.

A couple of takeaways:

Lopez grew up by Taylor St. By the 60s there were already a number of Mexicans (as well as a few PRs) around Taylor prior to the UIC expansion, with both conflict and friendships with the established Italian community. Aleman's father was, of course, Mexican and grew up by Taylor as well. Lopez hadn't aspired to be a defense attorney working on OC cases, as he "grew up around it", and had initially planned to be a divorce lawyer. Along with cases for the Cali Cartel and Mexican DTOs, Lopez initially built his criminal defense practice with personal referrals of cases by guys he knew from around Taylor and Bridgeport. Lopez cites the Plescia/Bonavolante/Grossi et al case as an example contradicting the mythos that the Outfit didn't deal in narcotics. "Back then, it was all, the Outfit guys don't do drugs.. they don't touch drugs, well... not only were they selling drugs, they were doing drugs... we can hear them snorting cocaine... on a wire!". Lopez doesn't mark this distinction, of course, but these were not made guys, which was typical of Outfit-connected narcotics operations: handled by local associates and/or apparent Italian nationals (it's still unclear to me whether Camillo Grossi was born in Chicago or Italy). Lopez states that the Outfit was investing gambling proceeds in the Plescia ring, which was moving shipments from Miami to Chicago for "years" before they were eventually caught due to a gambling wiretap. Lopez also states that the Plescia ring was linked to the "Cicero crew", but doesn't go into further detail, so we don't know if he meant the Ferriola/Infelise crew or the Carlisi crew. From what I know of the case, it was the latter (linked to Zizzo and Tornabene), though perhaps they had links to both crews. Lopez recalls being eyeballed by a DEA agent in Bertucci's Corner in Bridgeport while at a dinner table with Plescia and others. Lopez also recounts that during the 80s, mob lawyers in Chicago were being heavily scrutinized by the Feds for improper activities/involvement with their clients (incidentally, I have a close relative who was a defense attorney at 26th/Cali during the 80s who was close to a number of lawyers on Outfit/OC/gang cases and was explicitly warned to not fraternize or socialize with clients, or accept gifts or favors from them, as this was of course very common). Lopez: "I have met with some of the top dogs in the Chicago Outfit, that people will never know or never suspect...". As Patrick already noted, Lopez also stated that Carlisi made him cut his ponytail off and promises to tell the story later, but the interview ends before he does.

I also find it hard to understand how Lopez seems to have escaped any consequences for the Panozzo witness list thing, I guess there just wasn't enough to build a case on him.
I didn't listen to it and don't know when or if I will. thank for the summary.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Have you guys all watched the newer extended version of Accardos Senate hearing on YouTube? 1984 I believe.

You can get a sense for how sharp the man was. Even at that age, he seem to be the one in control of the proceedings. Just reinforces that you do not get to and stay in a position like his for as long as he did without having some serious smarts.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Coloboy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:43 am Have you guys all watched the newer extended version of Accardos Senate hearing on YouTube? 1984 I believe.

You can get a sense for how sharp the man was. Even at that age, he seem to be the one in control of the proceedings. Just reinforces that you do not get to and stay in a position like his for as long as he did without having some serious smarts.
Sir!?
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

“Well I don’t understand the question”