"The what ifs"

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: "The what ifs"

Post by Pogo The Clown »

You also have to factor in that Ruggiero got things wrong himself (Angelo Bruno getting whacked by NY because he wanted AC all to himself, Frank Balistrieri being the top Boss of the Midwest and Philly/NJ running Baltimore being some examples)and passed that along to Pistone. Granted this was stuff outsde of NY but still.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Joe Pistone's statement that Nick Rizzuto was capo of Montreal comes from the FBI itself, which listed Nick as capo in the late 80s. The power structure up there and who was really in charge after Cotroni died remains unclear, at least to me. I'm eager to dig into it when I'm able to do so.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

B. wrote:I do think he was an FBI agent who went a bit rogue which was becoming a major issue for his supervisors.
Which is what they show in the movie. I've always wondered whether that was artistic license or based on actual truth, especially because Pistone was very involved in the production.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re:

Post by B. »

Lupara wrote:
B. wrote:I do think he was an FBI agent who went a bit rogue which was becoming a major issue for his supervisors.
Which is what they show in the movie. I've always wondered whether that was artistic license or based on actual truth, especially because Pistone was very involved in the production.
I haven't watched the movie for a while, but I feel like he generally tries to paint this picture that he was disobeying his supervisors so that he could get in deeper and cause more damage to the family and that they wanted to pull him out for his own safety above all else. His safety was a major concern with what was going on in the family no doubt, but after 6 years as an associate who was getting more and more respect, I believe he had started to mold to the lifestyle. Considering how long he was undercover he did relatively little legal damage.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The biggest thing I take from Brasco is that we really got an objective view of what it means to be a mob associate.

A lot of associates are childhood friends, friends of friends, relatives, and neighbors of made guys, and a lot of these people are dishonest, unintelligent, and otherwise complete liabilities except for the fact that they were raised in that subculture and they revere the mob. Many associates have more going for them, but if you've read about this subject enough you can see that made guys are almost constantly having to stand up for their associates for fucking up and getting into beefs.

Brasco on the other hand did his best to play the role of a criminal, but he also was a very smart guy who knew the right things to say and purposefully avoided doing anything dishonest (by mob standards) or underhanded, plus he earned. He was basically the perfect associate as far as they were concerned. I think that's a big reason why Napolitano wanted to bring him in.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Agreed on all, B.

And no one can tell me that- what's his name? The Fat Fuck who infiltrated the DePalma crew- No one can tell me he didn't enter the job with dollar signs in his head. Talking about being scared, GTFOH! He probably was writing the book while he was doing his job. Now he does documentaries are how to act like a wiseguy, they film his ample ass going to the produce section, pulling a rubberband off escarole and wrapping it around a set of bills (a 100 with like 75 ones in the back most likely) and saying: See, dis is how ah wiseguya does it."

Pistone and Fat Fuck ain't even trying to hide their "love" of the life. They got paid to be a semi-wiseguy and use that tough guy persona to further their interests post career. Some can argue they took the challenge and deserve to milk it. Each their own.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re:

Post by Angelo Santino »

phatmatress777 wrote:I never liked Donnie brasco/ pistone he just comes off as such a dry humored wanna be have any of you guys ever listened to the wire taps ok YouTube between him and lefty? He just sounds so Whiney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HYE! Myah Namesah Donnie Brazzz COE and Eye NOEEE WizzzzeGuyyyzzaz. DEEZ are sum REcordINGS uvvv ME n DEZZ WIZZZZZEguyAAAAAssss.

Lefty: We had a meet, you fucking asshole and they are pissed.

Brasco: Well, whaddu they know about it!

Lefty: Donny, don't so say what about it... You knowwhat? Get off your high fucking horse and call me later.

I've used that line in life I'll admit! Fucking Lefty should RIP knowing Pacino played his character well, even though he died of cancer in 1992 and wanted no part in the film to begin with.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Re:

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote:
phatmatress777 wrote:I never liked Donnie brasco/ pistone he just comes off as such a dry humored wanna be have any of you guys ever listened to the wire taps ok YouTube between him and lefty? He just sounds so Whiney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HYE! Myah Namesah Donnie Brazzz COE and Eye NOEEE WizzzzeGuyyyzzaz. DEEZ are sum REcordINGS uvvv ME n DEZZ WIZZZZZEguyAAAAAssss.

Lefty: We had a meet, you fucking asshole and they are pissed.

Brasco: Well, whaddu they know about it!

Lefty: Donny, don't so say what about it... You knowwhat? Get off your high fucking horse and call me later.

I've used that line in life I'll admit! Fucking Lefty should RIP knowing Pacino played his character well, even though he died of cancer in 1992 and wanted no part in the film to begin with.
Holy shit, you just made me look at that conversation in a whole new light. Hahaha