Bonnano/Galante

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Shellackhead
Full Patched

Re: Bonnano/Galante

Post by Shellackhead »

So Rastelli’s entire tenure as boss in the Bonannos was behind prison?
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Shellackhead wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:57 pm So Rastelli’s entire tenure as boss in the Bonannos was behind prison?
He was out for a few years in the early 80s, but went back to jail during the commission trial. He maybe spent like 3-4 years on the street all together?
Benandjosh
Associate

Post by Benandjosh »

Was Rastelli originally a bonnano loyalist. Did he change sides during the war. Seems a pretty bad boss. Maybe the bonnanos would have been in better shape if they had all backed Galante.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Benandjosh wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:18 pm Was Rastelli originally a bonnano loyalist. Did he change sides during the war. Seems a pretty bad boss. Maybe the bonnanos would have been in better shape if they had all backed Galante.
I’m pretty sure Rusty was firmly in the DiGregorio/Sciacca faction from the start. I’m also pretty sure he was a captain before the split, and remained so under DiGregorio until he was promoted to underboss by Evola.

It’s hard to tell how he was as a boss since most of his tenure was in prison.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

thekiduknow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:17 pm
Shellackhead wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:57 pm So Rastelli’s entire tenure as boss in the Bonannos was behind prison?
He was out for a few years in the early 80s, but went back to jail during the commission trial. He maybe spent like 3-4 years on the street all together?

Yeah. He was Acting Boss from August 1973-November 1974 then Official Boss. He was imprisoned in August 1976 (I think he was under indictment during most of this time). he was released in late 1983 and imprisoned again in June 1984. He died in prison in 1991.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JakeTheSnake630
Straightened out

Post by JakeTheSnake630 »

So is it fair to say Rusty and and Lilo never liked each other, before Galantes take over attempt? At least since the banana wars when the family split.
If nobody sees it, it didn't happen.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

JakeTheSnake630 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:47 pm So is it fair to say Rusty and and Lilo never liked each other, before Galantes take over attempt? At least since the banana wars when the family split.
Hard to say for sure, but I’d imagine so. Like others said before, Galante was still loyal to Bonanno even after he went to Arizona and Galante got out of jail in 72. Rastelli might have seen him as trying to take over the family for Bonanno.
MSFRD
Straightened out

Post by MSFRD »

Only an assumption, but I feel the only way Galante’s ambitions would have been stifled would be if Bonnano was still boss upon Galante’s release. From all evidence he came out all guns blazing and disregarded everyone in the other four Families, and everyone else in his own. He obviously felt like the natural successor to Bonnano and probably felt livid at the state the family was in after the internal wars and factionalism. Galante was imprisoned when the Bonnano’s were at their peak and had had 30 years of stable leadership. Im sure he felt he was the individual to right the ship.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:55 pm
Frank wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:33 pm With the Galante as boss- never the boss ordeal, what I always wondered is than if Rastereli was the official boss, than who was the acting boss?
I read it was Salvatore Farruggia ("Sally Fruits"), although I am not sure whether he already was before Galante's death.
If it helps at all.... In Donnie Brasco Unfinished Business he said that Sally Fruits was looked at as the "zip street boss"

But .... Catalano was said to be the same also....

And both were SUPPOSEDLY offered the ACTING BOSS spot but there English wasn't good
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Catalano was acting boss at the time that Vito Borelli was killed
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
axx
Straightened out

Post by axx »

JakeTheSnake630 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:47 pm So is it fair to say Rusty and and Lilo never liked each other, before Galantes take over attempt? At least since the banana wars when the family split.
Don't know where, but I've read they respected each other and weren't on bad terms. As for Rastelli, Massino once said "he spent half his life in jail, how good of a boss can he be?" or sth like that.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

I found these two pages in Farrugia's FBI file. Like Chin said, Catalano was promoted to acting boss in the fall of 1980, with Steve Cannone, Sonny Red, and Phil Giaccone being removed from the ruling panel. Farrugia was considered for acting boss, but due to health reasons was passed over.
Catalano Acting Boss.jpg
In March 1981, Farrugia was chosen as acting boss. According to the source, Catalano was demoted due to the "behind the scene's" urging of Cannone.
Farrugia Acting Boss.jpg
Massino testified that Farrugia was elected acting boss and remained so until Rastelli was out of prison in 1983.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:56 am He was put in by Rastelli if I'm not mistaken. It was the same situation as when Vic Orena tried to usurp Persico as the Boss and had the support of the vast majority of the family in doing so. Only difference is that the Rastelli loyalists bided their time, got Commission support and didn't miss when they tried to kill him.
Cheers ears.

Who put in Rastelli? Bonnano, Captains or Commission?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Not Bonsnno as he was was already out at that point. Most likely by the Commission since after after Natsle Evola died Rastelli was Acting Boss for a a year before it was made official.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

But Rastelli was elected by the captains right?