Bonnano/Galante

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Bonnano/Galante

Post by Pogo The Clown »

He was not.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

I believe it was Dellacroce that was sent to visit Bonnano. The Galante as boss is very similar to the Lombardo-Tieri as boss as there is no clear cut answer.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

With the Galante as boss- never the boss ordeal, what I always wondered is than if Rastereli was the official boss, than who was the acting boss?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Galante was the Acting Boss who over stepped his authority and tried to replace Rastelli. The Commission didn't recognize him and thus they backed the Rastelli faction in killing him.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

Frank wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:33 pm With the Galante as boss- never the boss ordeal, what I always wondered is than if Rastereli was the official boss, than who was the acting boss?
I read it was Salvatore Farruggia ("Sally Fruits"), although I am not sure whether he already was before Galante's death.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:52 pm Galante was the Acting Boss who over stepped his authority and tried to replace Rastelli. The Commission didn't recognize him and thus they backed the Rastelli faction in killing him.

Pogo
I thought this was common knowledge at this point.
All roads lead to New York.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:52 pm Galante was the Acting Boss who over stepped his authority and tried to replace Rastelli. The Commission didn't recognize him and thus they backed the Rastelli faction in killing him.

Pogo
Thanks. That explains that era. I always got the impression that people said he was just a capo that was overstepping his authority and not even considered acting boss
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Thanks PG. (@Frank: that was my understanding too)

So Galante was Acting. Was he installed as acting by Bonanno, by vote of the captains or by the commission/other families?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

At Joe Massino's June 1977 induction, the inductees were asked individually if they knew who the boss was. Most said Galante was the boss but Massino mentioned Rastelli was official boss and Galante told him this was no longer the case as of the previous week, with Galante now taking the spot. So early June 1977 was when Galante first claimed official boss. This means it took just over two years between Galante usurping Rastelli's title and his murder.

There were many captains who supported Galante and considered him the official boss. A bunch of the family leaders had once been soldiers in Galante's decina in the 1950s. If you look at all of the captains demoted after his murder, that gives you an idea, plus the zips and others who turned on him and kept their positions.

Lefty Ruggiero was in the pro-Galante Sabella crew and referred to Galante as "the boss" to Pistone. Ruggiero gives the impression even when Galante was violated and put back in jail a couple times in the late 1970s he still presided over the family and issued orders to family leaders. When Frank Coppa was inducted he was given the impression Galante was official boss. We have some undercover sources, including made members, who referred to him that way, too.

He wasn't, though. The Commission didn't recognize him, like Magliocco in the early 1960s.

One interesting thing is there are sources who talk about Rusty Rastelli being reinstated as boss after Galante's murder. Was there some sort of formal process, or was it just a figure of speech?

On the Palma Boy tapes, Tony Salerno says in 1984 that they (the Commission) won't recognize Rastelli as boss until he gets his family in order. Paul Castellano and Salerno refused to meet with Rastelli for this reason and Tony Corallo communicated the message to Rastelli. Salerno was also quoted as saying he's fine with Rastelli being the boss but is unwilling to give him a Commission seat.

So there's info about Rastelli having his own issues with the Commission and going through a period in the 1980s where he wasn't recognized. Makes the whole situation more confusing.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:55 pm
Frank wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:33 pm With the Galante as boss- never the boss ordeal, what I always wondered is than if Rastereli was the official boss, than who was the acting boss?
I read it was Salvatore Farruggia ("Sally Fruits"), although I am not sure whether he already was before Galante's death.
Ferrugia was voted in as acting boss in 1981 shortly before the three captains murders. According to Massino, the vote was pretty split, with himself, Steve Cannone, Caesar Bonventre, Sal Catalano, Tony Giordano, Johnny Ligammari, George Sciascia, and Sonny Black supporting Ferrugia. Those who voted against Ferrugia were Sonny Red, Phil Giaccone, Trinchera, Bruno Indelicato, Nick DiStefano, and Joe Zicarelli. The Commission ordered them to hold the vote to try and hold the family together.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 pm Thanks PG. (@Frank: that was my understanding too)

So Galante was Acting. Was he installed as acting by Bonanno, by vote of the captains or by the commission/other families?

He was put in by Rastelli if I'm not mistaken. It was the same situation as when Vic Orena tried to usurp Persico as the Boss and had the support of the vast majority of the family in doing so. Only difference is that the Rastelli loyalists bided their time, got Commission support and didn't miss when they tried to kill him.

Pogo
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

I assume he had Bonanno backing, if only tacitly....which makes sense that the commission rep would visit Joe before proceeding with taking him out.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:56 am
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 pm Thanks PG. (@Frank: that was my understanding too)

He was put in by Rastelli if I'm not mistaken. It was the same situation as when Vic Orena tried to usurp Persico as the Boss and had the support of the vast majority of the family in doing so. Only difference is that the Rastelli loyalists bided their time, got Commission support and didn't miss when they tried to kill him.

Pogo
Ok, that makes it clearer on what happened. I think alot of us didnt know he was officially acting boss and thought he was totally rogue.
MSFRD
Straightened out

Post by MSFRD »

Is there any information whether Rastelli was ever given a commission seat? I believe he was installed as boss in 73 or 74 after Evola’s death. Did he hold a seat after this time? Before the real troubles started with Galante in the late 70s and the 3 Capo’s murders and Donnie Brasco infiltration.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Don't think he ever did.

Pogo